Are There Really Benefits to 5-HTP from the Griffonia Simplicifolia?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
skmo
captain of 1,000

Are There Really Benefits to 5-HTP from the Griffonia Simplicifolia?

Post by skmo »

My wife has had migraine problems since 1997 when she was in a coma for over a week with a cracked skull that happened in a car accident. They're not accompanied by the "aura" experienced by some, but they're still quite terrible for her at times. Currently she takes the standard Imitrex (Sumatriptan) as soon as she starts to feel one coming on (assuming she's not trying to do without because she doesn't want to spend the money) and often that works, sometimes she has to take a second. If two doesn't help, a Mtn. Dew and Migraine Excedrin usually does the trick.

A friend of mine recommended she try a product they'd used called 5-HTP which is a substance they get from the Griffonia Simplicifolia tree in Africa. Reading up on it I see it's used as an anti-depressant since it helps boost Serotonin levels. Does anyone have experience with this?

dafty
captain of 100

Re: Are There Really Benefits to 5-HTP from the Griffonia Simplicifolia?

Post by dafty »

skmo wrote: September 21st, 2017, 1:22 am My wife has had migraine problems since 1997 when she was in a coma for over a week with a cracked skull that happened in a car accident. They're not accompanied by the "aura" experienced by some, but they're still quite terrible for her at times. Currently she takes the standard Imitrex (Sumatriptan) as soon as she starts to feel one coming on (assuming she's not trying to do without because she doesn't want to spend the money) and often that works, sometimes she has to take a second. If two doesn't help, a Mtn. Dew and Migraine Excedrin usually does the trick.

A friend of mine recommended she try a product they'd used called 5-HTP which is a substance they get from the Griffonia Simplicifolia tree in Africa. Reading up on it I see it's used as an anti-depressant since it helps boost Serotonin levels. Does anyone have experience with this?
the only 'experience' with this amino acid(or to be more specific made of  L-tryptophan) have is from my weight lifting hobby/interest/whatever. It definitely improves sleep quality so if she suffers with that it might be of aid, but to what extent I cant guarantee. My ex mother in law, has suffered from same migraine problems caused also in car accident. They never went away but definitely eased up with time. Better hydration/adequate intake of right fluids also play a role here. Now, Im no expert so take my words with pinch of salt, but I do hope and pray it will get better. all the best to both

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Are There Really Benefits to 5-HTP from the Griffonia Simplicifolia?

Post by David13 »

I used to suffer from migraine headaches. I have no real idea why they went away. But they did disappear maybe 20 years ago.
It could be getting the wisdom teeth out. Some say that will do it.
It could be psychological or spiritual.
As Bush the Elder put it, learning not to worry.
As to injury related, I have no idea if that would be related, or not.
dc