How CBD Works

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
DanMullenite
captain of 100

How CBD Works

Post by DanMullenite »

How CBD Works

CBD contains naturally occurring cannabidiol (CBD), which is one of many cannabinoids found in hemp. These specific cannabinoids bind the cannabinoid receptor sites found in the human body and make up the endocannabinoid (EC) system.

The EC system is an integral part of natural human physiology and is responsible for multiple physiological and mental processes that naturally occur. Unlike synthetic pharmaceutical drugs, cannabis oil and related cannabinoids have no known toxicity level, and their health benefits come without negative side effects.

The positive effects of CBD continue to be studied by scientists. They have already discovered the connection of CBD boosting the function of the cannabinoid receptors to produce soothing, relaxing effects without producing a "high." In some countries, CBD is already classified as a medication due to its proven effectiveness, but it is still currently available in the United States without a prescription through the CBDPure website.

Many users choose cannabis to manage their long-term health or pain issues, while others supplement daily with healthy CBD to maintain and promote their general well-being, mood and stress levels.

It is non habit-forming, and can be taken daily. It has no psychoactive properties, and will not impair users in any way.

DanMullenite
captain of 100

Re: How CBD Works

Post by DanMullenite »

Promising Effects of Cannabidiol (CBD) for Pain

Cannabidiol, a cannabinoid found in marijuana and hemp plants, has taken the nation by storm after researchers found CBD has a positive effect on the nervous system. Research published in the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology1 reveals CBD is especially effective for reducing inflammation and acts as an antioxidant in the body.

Now, hundreds of studies are underway to see how effective CBD is for managing all types of chronic conditions and health problems, including:
•Chronic pain
•Arthritis
•Cancer
•Fibromyalgia
•Anxiety
•Depression
•…and more

One of the great things about CBD is there are no unpleasant side effects. Even though cannabidiol is derived from marijuana and hemp plants, it is one of the cannabinoids that does not give you a ‘high’. THC, another cannabinoid, is what causes the ‘drugged’ effect and may even cause anxiety. CBD is being studied to relieve anxiety and create a sense of calm. It’s why so many people are now using CBD as part of their pain management program.

DanMullenite
captain of 100

Post by DanMullenite »

While we don’t normally think of anxiety as desirable, it’s actually a critical adaptive response that can help us cope with threats to our (or a loved one’s) safety and welfare. These responses help us recognize and avert potential threats; they can also help motivate us to take action to better our situation (work harder, pay bills, improve relationships, etc.). However, when we don’t manage these natural responses effectively, they can become maladaptive and impact our work and relationships. This can lead to clinically diagnosable anxiety-related disorders. We’ve all heard the saying, “stress kills.” It’s true!

Anxiety-related disorders affect a huge segment of our population — 40 million adults (18%) in the United States age 18 and older. In response, Big Pharma has developed numerous drugs to treat anxiety-related disorders, from selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft to tranquilizers (the most popular class being benzodiazepines such as Valium and Xanax).

RELATED STORY

What Are the Best Cannabis Strains for Anxiety?

While these drugs can be effective for many patients, some don’t respond favorably. Certain patients don’t see much improvement, or they can’t tolerate the side effects. Moreover, tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax can be highly addictive. Clearly, alternative treatments are warranted. Could cannabidiol (CBD), the most prominent non-psychoactive constituent in cannabis, provide a viable alternative for currently available anxiety medications? Quite possibly!

In recent years, CBD has generated a tremendous amount of interest among consumers, clinicians, and scientists. Why? Not only does evidence suggest CBD counteracts many of THC’s adverse effects, but numerous animal studies and accumulating evidence from human experimental, clinical, and epidemiological studies suggest CBD has powerful anti-anxiety properties. Administered acutely (“as needed”), it appears safe, well-tolerated, and may be beneficial to treat a number of anxiety-related disorders, including:
•Panic disorder
•Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
•Social phobia
•Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
•Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
•Mild to moderate depression

How Does CBD Work?

Active receptor isolated on blue

CBD exerts several actions in the brain that explain why it could be effective in treating anxiety. Before we dive in, it’s important to note that most research describing how CBD works is preclinical and based on animal studies. As the saying goes, “mice are not men” — and, results from animal studies don’t always neatly transfer to human therapies. However, preclinical studies provide insights that move us in the right direction:

5-HT1A agonist: 5-HT1A is a subtype of the serotonin receptor, which is important because anxiety and depression can sometimes be treated with medications that target the serotonin system. This is why drug companies developed selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft. SSRIs work by blocking reabsorption of serotonin in the brain, which increases availability of serotonin in the synaptic space. This helps brain cells transmit more serotonin signals, which can reduce anxiety and boost mood in certain cases (although the full biological basis for this is more complicated and not fully understood).

Similar to SSRIs, CBD may boost signaling through serotonin receptors. In an animal study, Spanish researchers found that CBD enhances 5-HT1A transmission and may affect serotonin faster than SSRIs. Researchers noted:

“The fast onset of antidepressant action of CBD and the simultaneous anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effect would solve some of the main limitations of current antidepressant therapies.”

RELATED STORY

Cannabis and Depression

Hippocampal neurogenesis: The hippocampus is a major brain area, and plays a critical role in a variety of brain functions. It’s most famous for its role in memory formation and cognition. Brain scans of patients suffering from depression or anxiety often show a smaller hippocampus, and successful treatment of depression is associated with the birth of new neurons (neurogenesis) in the hippocampus..

An animal study using mice found repeated administration of CBD may help the hippocampus regenerate neurons, which could be useful for treating anxiety or depression. Research shows both SSRIs and CBD may promote neurogenesis. This is significant, because evidence suggests that severely impaired neuronal plasticity may influence suicidal behavior. Future research comparing CBD and SSRIs effect on neurogenesis could open up promising new avenues in how we understand depression and how to most effectively treat it.

How Can CBD Help Anxiety?

Medical Marijuana Plants Grown in Supportive Fencing
Building on the foundation of animal studies, human studies are starting to provide evidence to demonstrate that CBD can improve many commonly reported anxiety-disorder symptoms, including acute stress and anxiety.

Human Studies Show How CBD Reduces Anxiety

Brazilian researchers conducted a small double-blind study of patients afflicted with generalized social anxiety. After consuming CBD, participants reported a significant decrease in anxiety. Researchers validated patients’ subjective reports by performing brain scans showing cerebral blood flow patterns consistent with an anti-anxiety effect.

In another small study, researchers had patients suffering from Social Anxiety Disorder perform a simulated public speaking test. Participants reported significantly less anxiety, findings supported by objective anxiety indicators like heart rate and blood pressure.

Researchers concluded, “[CBD] significantly reduced anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort in their speech performance,” whereas the placebo group experienced “higher anxiety, cognitive impairment, [and] discomfort.”

Final Thoughts

Evidence from animal studies have begun to characterize the details of how CBD acts in the brain, and human studies of patients with and without anxiety disorders are starting to validate CBD’s efficacy as an anti-anxiety treatment. Given the huge social and financial costs of anxiety disorders in the U.S., CBD has the potential to play a significant role in treating a myriad of anxiety-related disorders.

While more research, including large randomized-control trials (RCTs), is clearly warranted to examine the long-term effects and potential for CBD, its demonstrated efficacy and highly favorable safety profile (particularly when compared to currently available drugs) make it a viable alternative or adjunct to currently available pharmaceuticals.

How Cannabidiol (CBD) Works for Treating Anxiety
While we don’t normally think of anxiety as desirable, it’s actually a critical adaptive response that can help us cope with threats to our (or a loved one’s) safety and welfare. These responses help us recognize and avert potential threats; they can also help motivate us to take action to better our situation (work harder, pay bills, improve relationships, etc.). However, when we don’t manage these natural responses effectively, they can become maladaptive and impact our work and relationships. This can lead to clinically diagnosable anxiety-related disorders. We’ve all heard the saying, “stress kills.” It’s true!

Anxiety-related disorders affect a huge segment of our population — 40 million adults (18%) in the United States age 18 and older. In response, Big Pharma has developed numerous drugs to treat anxiety-related disorders, from selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft to tranquilizers (the most popular class being benzodiazepines such as Valium and Xanax).

RELATED STORY

What Are the Best Cannabis Strains for Anxiety?

While these drugs can be effective for many patients, some don’t respond favorably. Certain patients don’t see much improvement, or they can’t tolerate the side effects. Moreover, tranquilizers like Valium and Xanax can be highly addictive. Clearly, alternative treatments are warranted. Could cannabidiol (CBD), the most prominent non-psychoactive constituent in cannabis, provide a viable alternative for currently available anxiety medications? Quite possibly!

In recent years, CBD has generated a tremendous amount of interest among consumers, clinicians, and scientists. Why? Not only does evidence suggest CBD counteracts many of THC’s adverse effects, but numerous animal studies and accumulating evidence from human experimental, clinical, and epidemiological studies suggest CBD has powerful anti-anxiety properties. Administered acutely (“as needed”), it appears safe, well-tolerated, and may be beneficial to treat a number of anxiety-related disorders, including:
•Panic disorder
•Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
•Social phobia
•Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
•Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
•Mild to moderate depression

How Does CBD Work?

Active receptor isolated on blue

CBD exerts several actions in the brain that explain why it could be effective in treating anxiety. Before we dive in, it’s important to note that most research describing how CBD works is preclinical and based on animal studies. As the saying goes, “mice are not men” — and, results from animal studies don’t always neatly transfer to human therapies. However, preclinical studies provide insights that move us in the right direction:

5-HT1A agonist: 5-HT1A is a subtype of the serotonin receptor, which is important because anxiety and depression can sometimes be treated with medications that target the serotonin system. This is why drug companies developed selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) like Prozac and Zoloft. SSRIs work by blocking reabsorption of serotonin in the brain, which increases availability of serotonin in the synaptic space. This helps brain cells transmit more serotonin signals, which can reduce anxiety and boost mood in certain cases (although the full biological basis for this is more complicated and not fully understood).

Similar to SSRIs, CBD may boost signaling through serotonin receptors. In an animal study, Spanish researchers found that CBD enhances 5-HT1A transmission and may affect serotonin faster than SSRIs. Researchers noted:

“The fast onset of antidepressant action of CBD and the simultaneous anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effect would solve some of the main limitations of current antidepressant therapies.”

RELATED STORY

Cannabis and Depression

Hippocampal neurogenesis: The hippocampus is a major brain area, and plays a critical role in a variety of brain functions. It’s most famous for its role in memory formation and cognition. Brain scans of patients suffering from depression or anxiety often show a smaller hippocampus, and successful treatment of depression is associated with the birth of new neurons (neurogenesis) in the hippocampus..

An animal study using mice found repeated administration of CBD may help the hippocampus regenerate neurons, which could be useful for treating anxiety or depression. Research shows both SSRIs and CBD may promote neurogenesis. This is significant, because evidence suggests that severely impaired neuronal plasticity may influence suicidal behavior. Future research comparing CBD and SSRIs effect on neurogenesis could open up promising new avenues in how we understand depression and how to most effectively treat it.
xxcbd-week-anxierty-1280x800.jpg
xxcbd-week-anxierty-1280x800.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
How Can CBD Help Anxiety?

Medical Marijuana Plants Grown in Supportive Fencing
Building on the foundation of animal studies, human studies are starting to provide evidence to demonstrate that CBD can improve many commonly reported anxiety-disorder symptoms, including acute stress and anxiety.

Human Studies Show How CBD Reduces Anxiety

Brazilian researchers conducted a small double-blind study of patients afflicted with generalized social anxiety. After consuming CBD, participants reported a significant decrease in anxiety. Researchers validated patients’ subjective reports by performing brain scans showing cerebral blood flow patterns consistent with an anti-anxiety effect.

In another small study, researchers had patients suffering from Social Anxiety Disorder perform a simulated public speaking test. Participants reported significantly less anxiety, findings supported by objective anxiety indicators like heart rate and blood pressure.

Researchers concluded, “[CBD] significantly reduced anxiety, cognitive impairment, and discomfort in their speech performance,” whereas the placebo group experienced “higher anxiety, cognitive impairment, [and] discomfort.”

Final Thoughts

Evidence from animal studies have begun to characterize the details of how CBD acts in the brain, and human studies of patients with and without anxiety disorders are starting to validate CBD’s efficacy as an anti-anxiety treatment. Given the huge social and financial costs of anxiety disorders in the U.S., CBD has the potential to play a significant role in treating a myriad of anxiety-related disorders.

While more research, including large randomized-control trials (RCTs), is clearly warranted to examine the long-term effects and potential for CBD, its demonstrated efficacy and highly favorable safety profile (particularly when compared to currently available drugs) make it a viable alternative or adjunct to currently available pharmaceuticals.
Attachments
xxcbd-week-anxierty-1280x800.jpg
xxcbd-week-anxierty-1280x800.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

Tree
captain of 100

Post by Tree »

Does not treat the underlying cause.

DanMullenite
captain of 100

Post by DanMullenite »

What underlying cause.

DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Post by DEEPER storm »

https://www.naturalnews.com/2017-09-14- ... fails.html

Cannabis beats “incurable” brain tumor after chemo fails
Cannabis oil contains two main medicinal compounds: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is responsible for the “high” associated with cannabis use, and which is a powerful painkiller; and cannabidiol (CBD), which has the powerful ability to kill cancer cells without harming surrounding healthy tissue.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I had high hopes when I tried it. I thought it helped a bit after my first dose but then nothing....I suffer from such extreme pain that if I don't take a steroid, I DON'T function. :(

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

kittycat51 wrote: September 15th, 2017, 5:52 pm I had high hopes when I tried it. I thought it helped a bit after my first dose but then nothing....I suffer from such extreme pain that if I don't take a steroid, I DON'T function. :(
I haven't really noticed that CBD oil helps any pain I have, though it does seem to help anxiety and maybe depression. I wonder if medical marijuana might? (Note: I'm talking about going through a doctor, and only in a state where it is legal to take it.)

I don't know what kind of pain you are going through, but I do know that magnesium is a muscle relaxant (not as strong as a prescription drug, but it does a good job at preventing my migraines if I take it when I'm having the visual disturbances).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Wow! I just realized this thread is 2 1/2 years old.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

juanri wrote: March 29th, 2020, 8:34 amthe doctor said that Cannabis doesn't have any helping properties
That doctor obviously hasn't read any studies. Plus there's a lot of anecdotal (experiential) evidence that it helps a lot of things.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

DanMullenite wrote: August 1st, 2017, 3:09 pm While we don’t normally think of anxiety as desirable, it’s actually a critical adaptive response that can help us cope with threats to our (or a loved one’s) safety and welfare. These responses help us recognize and avert potential threats; they can also help motivate us to take action to better our situation (work harder, pay bills, improve relationships, etc.).
^
my secret

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

CBD gave me a psychosis episode.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Sephiroth wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 12:35 am CBD gave me a psychosis episode.
Are you sure it was pure CBD? It sounds like what you got had THC in it. That's the psychoactive ingredient. CBD oil is so benign that it's totally legal to buy and sell.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

Silver Pie wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:05 pm
Sephiroth wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 12:35 am CBD gave me a psychosis episode.
Are you sure it was pure CBD? It sounds like what you got had THC in it. That's the psychoactive ingredient. CBD oil is so benign that it's totally legal to buy and sell.
Not sure. The bottle claimed no THC.

abijah`
~dog days~

Post by abijah` »

normal cbd shouldnt do that

edit: 4:19 post :P
Last edited by abijah` on April 5th, 2020, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Sephiroth wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:18 pm Not sure. The bottle claimed no THC.
That's really strange, then. I wonder if the label was inaccurate or if you're unusually susceptible.

Sephiroth
captain of 1,000

Post by Sephiroth »

Silver Pie wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:21 pm
Sephiroth wrote: April 5th, 2020, 5:18 pm Not sure. The bottle claimed no THC.
That's really strange, then. I wonder if the label was inaccurate or if you're unusually susceptible.
I bought it at the Good Earth store in Orem. They were in pill form out of a bottle.