Healing cavities

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Kitkat
captain of 100

Healing cavities

Post by Kitkat »

So, I'm posting this for anyone else out there that has teeth like my kids :) For some reason their top two teeth always get cavities. My 19 month old went to the densit this past week and sure enough...cavities on the 2 front teeth. The dentist recommends sedating her. Insert tears....for me and her :((

I have scheduled her appointment for Mid April.

I read the cure tooth decay book and it is day 4 of implementing some things and already her 2 front teach are whiter and have the glossy enamel look back, instead of the chalky look.

All I have done so far is feed her:

Raw milk (you can buy this at Redmond farms in Orem) - she actually hates milk so I purée it with frozen banana and then freeze it and she eats it as ice cream.
Bone broth chicken veggie soup (I just bought a rotisserie chicken fro Costco and boiled it in my crock pot for 24 hours and then strained the broth)

Today the expensive fermented cod-liver and butter oil came, so she will get that now too.

Anyone else had experience with healing teeth?

I will update here as time goes by.

I'm really excited and hopeful we may avoid a traumatic medical procedur.

FTC
captain of 100

Re: Healing cavities

Post by FTC »

From what I hear, bad tooth health is often genetic. If you get stuck with it, sucks to be you. :P My dad's mother had it, so sucks to be me. :P
I have healed cavities before. What heals cavities is the saliva in your mouth remineralizing the teeth. For your mouth to produce saliva, you have to chew. A lot. That old adage "Chew your food", isn't just something said to get kids to eat their dinner. I have a habit of taking a bite, chewing once or twice, and then engulfing the bite. Doesn't make for much saliva production.
Therefore, chewing gum. Also, Xylitol. Which is a substance that causes your mouth to salivate a whole lot. Trident gum happens to be sugarless and have Xylitol. :)
This is how I've healed cavities. Brush every day. Floss everyday. Chew Trident gum at least once everyday. The results: first dental visit found a cavity starting to form. Six months later, cavity healed and gone. :)

Now, my horrendous problem is my love of sugar. And when I say love of sugar, I mean taking multiple tablespoon fulls of sugar right out of the sugar bin. YUM! :D Compound this with: jumbo Gum drops for Christmas; Affection hearts for Valentines, along with a bunch of chocolate; jelly beans for Easter, toss in some peeps for good measure; candy corn and marshmallow pumpkins for Halloween; and bags of Skittles in between the holidays.
Yea. My teeth have a tuff time.

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I second everything from FTC. FWIW we had to sedate one of my kids for dental work and I'm glad we did. I have talked with others who waited and the decay affected the adult teeth forming below. None of my other kids have had any problems. This one has had horrible teeth simply because of a crowded mouth.
But I've had 3 cavities we've been "watching" for two years that haven't gotten worse. During that time I've had a baby and been nursing which always kills my teeth. The difference this time is I've been chewing xylitol gum, making bone broth, and taking magnesium. I can't recommend the magnesium enough. I take mag glycinate with b vitamins to help absorption.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

I have also heard that the health of teeth (or lack thereof) is genetic...but I'm sure all the chemicals, GMOs and junk in our food, water and air does us no favors.

Looks like you are on a great path, Kitkat...have you seen the Wellness Mama website? It talks about healing teeth there along with a variety of other natural health topics:

https://wellnessmama.com/3650/remineralize-teeth/

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I use liquid minerals at night.

And possibly don't use glycerin (toothpaste).

If you do get fillings, get the white ones (composite).

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Thanks for sharing guys! I didn't know about magnesium, I will be checking that out. I have a few tooth headstones in my mouth from nursing too :( I'm very hopeful that making a few changes I diet will offer some good results.

On a positive note my baby didn't mind taking the cod liver oil a bit, which was very unexpected!

What kind of liquid minerals do you take johnnyL?

The funny part of our trip to the dentist was that my kids were encouraging each other to brush their teeth right before. My one daughter said, "You better brush really well or the dentist will be mad you haven't been taking care of your teeth!"

Then I heard another little voice chime in quickly, "Oh no, he won't be angry, that's how he gets his money!"

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

=)) =)) =))

Someone has taught your kids well.

I have a cavity in one of my teeth in the back. As long as it's not hurting, I'm planning on healing it naturally. When I was a teen I got a cavity and it healed by itself. I couldn't go to the dentist right away because of insurance issues but by the time I got there, it was gone. I had no idea cavities could clear up before then, but it only makes sense. Your bones heal when you break one.

I'm following this thread. So far, I'm just trying to keep my tooth clear of food and I'm eating anise seeds, which pack into the tooth instead. I've seen no change either way. At least it's not getting worse.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Oh, by the way, when my first was three, the dentist told us she needed caps on her two front teeth and that she would need to be sedated. He said worse case scenario, the teeth could abscess and she could die. I made the appointment and paid $100 down. The day of the surgery the Spirit told me very strongly not to go through with it. I called and cancelled right when I was supposed to be there. We took her to a friend of ours who is a dentist and got a second opinion. The spots on her teeth were just tartar build up. My husband scraped them off with a nail file. The original dentist was willing to traumatize our daughter and cause her a substantial amount of pain to make a buck. Something to consider . . .

ason123
captain of 50

Post by ason123 »

I have a cavity right now and am trying to heal it naturally using this recipe for toothpaste: http://joybileefarm.com/cure-tooth-decay/

I must say, it isn't yummy or sweet, but I will try to update you guys if it works or not. So far, it isn't getting any worse, and doesn't hurt at all. I think there is more to it than toothpaste though. I am interested in trying the raw milk or raw butter idea and the bone broth idea too. Avoiding sugar apparently helps too. Again, we will see....

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

Google Dr. Weston A Price, he did a lot of interesting research on oral health. He had a lot to say on what people should/shouldn't be eating for healthy teeth.

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

We just use baking soda. It helps the teeth grow back. It works. I don't have my kids use toothpaste, just baking soda.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Watching my little girls teeth and the good news is one of her front teeth is glossing over and looking pretty much normal! There is only a tiny yellow line left near the top. The yellow circles are gone. The other one is a pretty much the same, except it is way more shiny than it was and a little more white. Fingers crossed :)

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Juliet wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 9:34 pm We just use baking soda. It helps the teeth grow back. It works. I don't have my kids use toothpaste, just baking soda.
Cool! Thanks for sharing

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I didn't know baking soda helps teeth grow back. That's good to know. I use a toothpaste I make from coconut oil, baking soda, corn starch, and peppermint oil. It leaves my mouth feeling really nice.

jim
captain of 10

Post by jim »

I read Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel (that's probably the same one you're talking about).
The main takeaways from it that I got were:

Stay away from sugar and breads (also avoid pop and fruit juice, fruit juice has almost as much sugar as pop does) the way they acidify your body makes your body pull minerals out of teeth and bones to keep the bloodstream at the right levels (seems extreme but the body will go through extreme measures when it determines it's in danger ... like letting fingers and toes freeze off in order to keep your core warm if you're stuck in a blizzard somewhere, fingers and toes are more expendable than core organs. Same deal with minerals and the body trying to maintain chemical equilibrium in the bloodstream.)

We've fed our kids raw milk for a few years, though it's real expensive buying it from Real Foods in Utah. (It looks like the main supplier in Utah has a basic legal monopoly, and have recently jacked up prices): https://www.realmilk.com/herdshares/tra ... rojan-cow/
Also we give our kids Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil (after it was recommended in the book)

Small kids don't need cavities filled (since they're going to get permanent teeth in a few years anyway).

http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Prod ... dLiverOil/
It seems expensive until you consider the price of paying for cavities.

Another thing we give our kids fairly frequently is Kerry Gold Irish Butter from grass-fed cows.
I remember it either said in that book or Weston A Price said it is high in 'the x factor' which I understand to be vitamin k which goes well with whatever minerals are in the fish oil.
http://kerrygoldusa.com/products/

My oldest son used to have some noticeable cavities on his molars, I'll check tonight to see if I can still see them, and report back tomorrow.

I don't know if baking soda works, I've read it's abrasive and can scratch the enamel off of teeth if used like toothpaste (I don't know if that claim is true, but thought I'd pass the word just in case).

jim
captain of 10

Post by jim »

Also I've learned recently you can fix your eyesight, and purportedly hearing as well.
Frankly if you can fix holes in your teeth by yourself, why not be able to fix eyesight (see https://endmyopia.org/ and http://www.seeing.org/), or restore hearing loss as well http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... rally.aspx

Caution in some youtube videos the endmyopia guy occasionally uses some colorful language.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

Yes, PH balance of the mouth is something we are learning is natural when we eat foods that God intended us to eat, not all this processed food (even the foods we thought were good end up being processed and bad for teeth and ph balance of the mouth and blood).

We have really liked the difference we have felt using Uncle Harry's stuff. Natural chalk and oils... PH balance is something that we find we can still eat sweets and such, but watch that we are first eating the healthy foods, and maintaining a healthy PH balance in our mouths.

https://www.uncleharrys.com/store/mouth-care
Last edited by Kitkat on March 27th, 2017, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

My daughter's teeth (she is 1 and 1/2 yrs old) are showing signs of healing beautifully (will have same dentist check them again in about a month and return to report) thanks to consistent daily cod-liver oil, raw milk (expensive!) and bone broth soup (24-hours chicken bone broth, potatoes, chicken, carrots, peas, corn, celery, salt, pepper, etc) and keeping her off of processed foods and sugars.

It's like her little spirit knows it is good for her too. She lays down each day without a fit at all and says, take my medicine (full raw cod liver from a medicine dropper) and swallows with pride clapping and all. No gagging? from the bad taste? What a trooper! We are sold, her teeth are going from chalky with holes to glossy and whiter as each day passes. We can see the holes are slowly but surely filling up and covering with what looks like a layer of white-transparent enamel. She no longer complains when she or we brush her front teeth.

Trying to snap photos when she is sleeping. Lighting is an issue.

jim
captain of 10

Post by jim »

Sorry, I forgot to return and report as quickly as I'd hoped.

I checked out my son's mouth and his cavities are still there. My wife said they've been there since he was 2 (or younger), but they haven't bothered him, so we haven't been worried at all.

Then a few days ago my wife told me about this:
https://wellnessmama.com/59039/fermente ... -oil-safe/

I don't really know what to think. It's hard to know who to trust in this world. Our kids seem like they've gotten sick less frequently since we started giving them a small spoon of 'icky fish oil' every night, so I think for now we'll keep doing it. I hope things turn out fine with your kids' cavities

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

I haven't seen any improvement yet or any worsening. I should probably include the cod liver oil but I'm not very good about taking fish oil. Even if you take capsules, it burps up for a while. :ymsick:

On the other hand, I have been really enjoying using charcoal to whiten my teeth and homemade mouth wash made from vodka and peppermint oil. I've only used the charcoal twice and my teeth are way whiter. I'm aiming to use it once a week or so since it leaves my gums feeling a bit sore. The mouth wash leaves my mouth feeling incredible. I learned the hard way that you have to dilute the vodka, though. 40 proof vodka, yikes! I can't believe some people actually swallow that stuff.

butterfly
captain of 1,000

Post by butterfly »

Kitkat wrote: March 27th, 2017, 7:52 am My daughter's teeth (she is 1 and 1/2 yrs old) are showing signs of healing beautifully (will have same dentist check them again in about a month and return to report) thanks to consistent daily cod-liver oil, raw milk (expensive!) and bone broth soup (24-hours chicken bone broth, potatoes, chicken, carrots, peas, corn, celery, salt, pepper, etc) and keeping her off of processed foods and sugars.

It's like her little spirit knows it is good for her too. She lays down each day without a fit at all and says, take my medicine (full raw cod liver from a medicine dropper) and swallows with pride clapping and all. No gagging? from the bad taste? What a trooper! We are sold, her teeth are going from chalky with holes to glossy and whiter as each day passes. We can see the holes are slowly but surely filling up and covering with what looks like a layer of white-transparent enamel. She no longer complains when she or we brush her front teeth.

So have you taken your daughter back to the dentist yet?
How often are you giving her the broth and how much does she take - I want to try it with my kids. Does she just sip it plain? I was thinking to put noodles or something in there but I guess that would just increase the phytic acid and contribute to the mineral binding.

Hope things are still improving!

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

butterfly wrote: May 1st, 2017, 9:49 pm
Kitkat wrote: March 27th, 2017, 7:52 am My daughter's teeth (she is 1 and 1/2 yrs old) are showing signs of healing beautifully (will have same dentist check them again in about a month and return to report) thanks to consistent daily cod-liver oil, raw milk (expensive!) and bone broth soup (24-hours chicken bone broth, potatoes, chicken, carrots, peas, corn, celery, salt, pepper, etc) and keeping her off of processed foods and sugars.

So have you taken your daughter back to the dentist yet?
How often are you giving her the broth and how much does she take - I want to try it with my kids. Does she just sip it plain? I was thinking to put noodles or something in there but I guess that would just increase the phytic acid and contribute to the mineral binding.

Hope things are still improving!
Hey! Yes I took her just this week. I have learned some interesting stuff. The dentist agreed with me that the enamel on her teeth looked better, unfortunately near the top the enamel is completely gone. According to him you can re-mineralize existing enamel, but your enamel is not living tissue and it will not regrow. He is willing to work with me on whatever I want to do, but he said when you have spots of missing enamel things can go bad quickly.

I have been doing more reading and have found that while rebuilding enamel is currently medically impossible, there is a chance for the cavities to become arrested, which means they are still there, but the harden over and can remain dormant indefinitely. Usually when this happens the cavities become darker in color and hardened. I have another dentist appointment for my other daughter today and I am going to ask him about arrested cavities.

As for bone broth, I make veggie soup with it and she loves it. She usually has one bowl a day. I have a really big soup spoon I use and she drinks it from the spoon. My goal is to get about a cup of it into her :)

I also use my bone broth for cooking rice or making gravy or anything else I can think of!

I have also read accounts of people claiming to regrow teeth by using comfrey root and powdered eggshells. I have read conflicting things about comfrey root, but I am definitely going to try powdered eggshells. Tip: get a coffee grinder to powder your eggshells and put them in a smoothie. They recommend 1 eggshell a day.

So, I feel like I have tools now and do not have to be the victim of "bad teeth" anymore. I hope that by strengthening existing enamel my kids dental issues can be fixed. We have always been very faithful at brushing and flossing so it was depressing to keep getting cavities, but now I believe it is much more than a topical issue and I am treating the whole body. I am excited to see where we are a year from now. I am still unsure of how to proceed with my littlest's teeth, but I am hoping to learn more about arrested cavities today.

I am over the moon about actually seeing her enamel remineralize, because I got to visually see her teeth go from chalky to shiny and that to me is proof that we are fixing the problem and not just patching up "bad teeth"

I do plan to ask God in the hereafter if he outsourced the creation of teeth :D
Last edited by Kitkat on May 3rd, 2017, 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitkat
captain of 100

Post by Kitkat »

jim wrote: April 5th, 2017, 4:52 pm Sorry, I forgot to return and report as quickly as I'd hoped.

I checked out my son's mouth and his cavities are still there. My wife said they've been there since he was 2 (or younger), but they haven't bothered him, so we haven't been worried at all.

Then a few days ago my wife told me about this:
https://wellnessmama.com/59039/fermente ... -oil-safe/

I don't really know what to think. It's hard to know who to trust in this world. Our kids seem like they've gotten sick less frequently since we started giving them a small spoon of 'icky fish oil' every night, so I think for now we'll keep doing it. I hope things turn out fine with your kids' cavities
Yes! So hard to filter through the information and decide who to trust!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Kitkat wrote: March 1st, 2017, 5:10 pmI will update here as time goes by.

I'm really excited and hopeful we may avoid a traumatic medical procedur.
Do you have any updates since your last update on this?

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Meili wrote: March 3rd, 2017, 9:34 am =)) =)) =))

Someone has taught your kids well.

I have a cavity in one of my teeth in the back. As long as it's not hurting, I'm planning on healing it naturally. When I was a teen I got a cavity and it healed by itself. I couldn't go to the dentist right away because of insurance issues but by the time I got there, it was gone. I had no idea cavities could clear up before then, but it only makes sense. Your bones heal when you break one.

I'm following this thread. So far, I'm just trying to keep my tooth clear of food and I'm eating anise seeds, which pack into the tooth instead. I've seen no change either way. At least it's not getting worse.
Any updates on how your tooth is doing?