Do you have PTSD?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Do you have PTSD?

Post by buffalo_girl »

If I was the kind of jerk you have made me out to be in your fevered brain, I guess I would enjoy the fact that I live rent free in your mind, and you spend too much time hating me.

I don't think about you at all, but based on many of your responses to those with whom you disagree the term "jerk' has intruded itself into my consciousness from time-to-time.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

What is PTSD?: "PTSD is a mental disorder that can develop after a person is exposed to a traumatic event, such as sexual assault, warfare, traffic collisions, or other threats on a person's life. Symptoms may include disturbing thoughts, feelings, or dreams related to the events, mental or physical distress to trauma-related cues, attempts to avoid trauma-related cues, alterations in how a person thinks and feels, and an increase in the fight-or-flight response. These symptoms last for more than a month after the event. Young children are less likely to show distress but instead may express their memories through play. A person with PTSD is at a higher risk for suicide and intentional self-harm." (Wikipedia)

Although PTSD has been most often associated with soldiers and other military persons who fought in wars, this is not the only class of individuals who can develop this disorder. "Shell shock" and "combat fatigue" were terms used to describe symptoms that some who fought in wars developed but in the 1980's, backed by scientific observations and data, a new diagnosis was developed that was broader in scope than what just applied to people who fought in wars because it was apparent that not just warfighters were battling with the symptoms that were associated with "shell shock". "The key to understanding the scientific basis and clinical expression of PTSD is the concept of 'trauma'." PTSD deals with certain symptoms that can develop when individuals experience "traumatic" events, thus warfighters and rape victims can develop the same symptoms and struggle with the same issues and psychological problems even though the traumatic event was not the same. Also, it is important to understand that "trauma" or "traumatic events" are not the same as ordinary stress or stressors in a person's life. So, there are ordinary stressors and there are traumatic stressors.
The framers of the original PTSD diagnosis had in mind events such as war, torture, rape, the Nazi Holocaust, the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, natural disasters (such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and volcano eruptions), and human-made disasters (such as factory explosions, airplane crashes, and automobile accidents). They considered traumatic events to be clearly different from the very painful stressors that constitute the normal vicissitudes of life such as divorce, failure, rejection, serious illness, financial reverses, and the like. (By this logic, adverse psychological responses to such "ordinary stressors" would, in DSM-III terms, be characterized as Adjustment Disorders rather than PTSD.) This dichotomization between traumatic and other stressors was based on the assumption that, although most individuals have the ability to cope with ordinary stress, their adaptive capacities are likely to be overwhelmed when confronted by a traumatic stressor. (VA.org)
So, what are the traumatic stressor criterion?

"The person has been exposed to a catastrophic event involving actual or threatened death or injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of him/herself or others (such as sexual violence)."

It is also possible to be indirectly exposed to these stressors such as in the case of "learning about the violent or accidental death or perpetration of sexual violence to a loved one" And, "repeated, indirect exposure (usually as part of one's professional responsibilities) to the gruesome and horrific consequences of a traumatic event (e.g. police personnel, body handlers, etc.)" are also considered traumatic events.

As an example, certain individuals who work in combatting child sex crimes and as a part of their job they are repeatedly exposed to child rape and other "gruesome and horrific" events of others can develop PTSD.

There are traumatic events that occur in many people's lives and although not all who experience traumatic events will develop PTSD, PTSD can be triggered and can develop from more than just being in combat. So whether you fought in war, lived through a natural disaster, are a rape survivor, were sexually abused as a child, or whatever traumatic event caused the disorder, PTSD symptoms for all who suffer from this disorder are debilitating or seriously disrupt having a happy life, can destroy people's lives and the lives of families if not properly diagnosed and treated.

Regardless of what triggered your PTSD, please don't be afraid to seek help. There is no weakness in getting help and in admitting to others that you are suffering. There is no shame and having PTSD is not reflective of a personal weakness. You don't have to and you shouldn't suffer alone and try to deal with this without help. Reach out, get help, and trust that in time and with God's help you can fully recover and begin to thrive in life without this debilitating disorder.

Source: https://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pt ... erview.asp
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraum ... s_disorder

-Finrock

gclayjr
captain of 1,000

Post by gclayjr »

Finrock,
Although PTSD has been most often associated with soldiers and other military persons who fought in wars, this is not the only class of individuals who can develop this disorder. "Shell shock" and "combat fatigue" were terms used to describe symptoms that some who fought in wars developed but in the 1980's, backed by scientific observations and data, a new diagnosis was developed that was broader in scope than what just applied to people who fought in wars because it was apparent that not just warfighters were battling with the symptoms that were associated with "shell shock".
I know that is what happened. I just don't agree with it. I think we are muddling up concepts by expanding their definitions.

If a man physically attacks a woman and forces her into a sexual relationship, that is called rape. Also, if 2 young adults go partying, including drinking or recreational drugs, and they engage in sexual behavior. If a court determines that although the woman gave "permission" for the sexual encounter, but she did not have the "capacity" to give it, it is rape.

Both situations are rape, but I don't think that they are the same thing.

Regards,

George Clay

Finrock
captain of 1,000

Post by Finrock »

gclayjr wrote: May 30th, 2017, 4:02 pm Finrock,
Although PTSD has been most often associated with soldiers and other military persons who fought in wars, this is not the only class of individuals who can develop this disorder. "Shell shock" and "combat fatigue" were terms used to describe symptoms that some who fought in wars developed but in the 1980's, backed by scientific observations and data, a new diagnosis was developed that was broader in scope than what just applied to people who fought in wars because it was apparent that not just warfighters were battling with the symptoms that were associated with "shell shock".
I know that is what happened. I just don't agree with it. I think we are muddling up concepts by expanding their definitions.

If a man physically attacks a woman and forces her into a sexual relationship, that is called rape. Also, if 2 young adults go partying, including drinking or recreational drugs, and they engage in sexual behavior. If a court determines that although the woman gave "permission" for the sexual encounter, but she did not have the "capacity" to give it, it is rape.

Both situations are rape, but I don't think that they are the same thing.

Regards,

George Clay
You say you disagree, but how, in your opinion, does your post address, refute, or speak to anything that I posted?

The key to understanding PTSD is the concept of trauma. Trauma is above and beyond normal stress or stressors. People who have experienced different traumatic events can develop the same set of symptoms, even though the trauma might be different. Again, the key to understanding PTSD is the concept of trauma and trauma encompasses a wide variety of things.

In any case, it doesn't really matter if you agree or disagree. That a warfighter who fought in war and a person who has experienced a different traumatic event, can, and in many cases do experience the same set of symptoms or the same disorder, is a verifiable scientific fact.

-Finrock

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Now combine PTSD with OCD, depression and co-dependance.

FireScout85
Hi, I'm new.

Post by FireScout85 »

1. Desire to isolate.
2. Depression.

4. Anger.
5. Irritability.
6. Difficulty concentrating.
7. Numbness.
8. Problems with authority, intimacy, and trust.
9. Hyper-vigilance.
10. Nightmares.
11. Flashbacks.
12. Ruminating about combat.
13. Avoidance of crowds, gatherings, and confined spaces.
14. Emotional distress upon exposure to situations that resemble the trauma.
15. Reenactment of the traumatic event.

I experience all but 1 of these symptoms. My PTSD is from Combat, I have other family members who have PTSD from other events non Combat Related. As Finrock said it doesnt matter what the traumatic event was its the fact that the event left a severe impression on the person and they are unable to cope with the problem. I with PTSD for 5yrs and almost lost my family because I refused to believe that there was something wrong with me.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

freedomforall wrote: June 2nd, 2017, 5:48 pm Now combine PTSD with OCD, depression and co-dependance.
Now add to the others...anxiety

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

Dear freedomforall

First, I will say I value your contributions to this forum.

Second, consider this: https://thesacredplant.com/docuseries/? ... 8c9dcd6ef2

In the first episode a former CNN reporter benefited by this.

Third, when you’re receiving flack, you know you’re over the target! (So I’m expecting a lot of flack for these posts)

Toto
captain of 1,000

Post by Toto »

Just wanted to let you know that Episode 1 is still playing here

https://thesacredplant.com/docuseries/episode1/