Swearing: 7 Miraculous Effects On The Mind

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Seven ways in which swearing can actually be psychologically positive.

Here are some of the good things about bad words:

1. Swearing makes you stronger

Swearing is not just a reaction to feeling angry and a way of letting off steam.

Swearing in moderation can make you feel stronger.

It is a type of coping mechanism.

Of course, swearing doesn’t work so well if used repeatedly.

It should be saved for when you really need it, such as:

2. Reducing pain

There is a very good reason why we swear when injured: it reduces the pain.

A study has found that people are able to submerge their hands in ice water for longer while they repeat swear words.

Try it: what better way to spend a Sunday afternoon than swearing like a trooper with your hand in a bucket of ice water?

Dr Richard Stephens, an expert on the psychology of swearing, said:

“Swearing has been around for centuries and is an almost universal human linguistic phenomenon.

It taps into emotional brain centres and appears to arise in the right brain, whereas most language production occurs in the left cerebral hemisphere of the brain.

Our research shows one potential reason why swearing developed and why it persists.”

3. Wake up!

Swearing activates parts of the brain that are vital to the ‘fight-or-flight’ response.

Hearing someone swear can give us a jolt of excitement that can enliven dull proceedings.

A well-placed swear word can do wonders to get people’s attention.

Talking of which:

4. Light swearing can persuade, damn it!

Lack of passion can be fatal to our attempts to persuade others of our point of view.

Show your passion, however, and people have one more emotional reason to come around to your point of view.

One unconventional way is by using a little light swearing.

Light swearing can be useful even in a relatively formal situation like a lecture.

When you show some feeling, the audience notices, credits you with sincerity and is more likely to take your message to heart.

(Note: the study only tested the use of ‘damn it’, nothing strong. Read more about the study.)

5. Sign of a good vocabulary

People who know more swear words also have stronger verbal abilities, a recent study found.

Knowing how to swear, then, is not a sign of a poor vocabulary — in fact it signals a better vocabulary.

One caveat: this study does not test or suggest that using lots of swear words is a sign of a larger vocabulary.

It only tested (and found) that knowing them is linked to a larger vocabulary.

6. Make friends

Oddly, swearing can actually be a sign of happiness.

“Social swearing” is a way of bonding people together.

It can be intended to be friendly and often appears when people are relaxed and happy.

Think of a group of police officers or doctors happily swearing away together.

7. Swearing is an emotional expression

Swearing is closely related to the emotions — as such it can be an important form of expression.

Ms Amy Zile, author of a study on the subject, said:

“Our study found that when we raised people’s emotional arousal level they became more proficient at swearing such that they were able to produce a greater number of different swear words and expressions in a one-minute period.

This provides experimental support for the theory that swearing is emotional language.”

jockeybox
captain of 100

Re: Swearing: 7 Miraculous Effects On The Mind

Post by jockeybox »

Well, hot damn, not a bad article!

jbalm
The Third Comforter

Post by jbalm »

The Spirit has confirmed to me the truth of that inspired article.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

The number 7 is symbolic of perfection.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

No way.
I hear far too much profanity and ugly words. It gets sickening after a while (this is Los Angeles, you know).
I prefer to hear people speak like ladies and gentlemen, not street thugs.
dc

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Well timed curse words are chicken soup for the soul.
Last edited by ajax on June 10th, 2016, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

I agree that swearing can have some of the effects listed above; however, it should be used sparingly, otherwise the words lose their impact. Of course, this is my point of view when not taking the spiritual side of things into account.

From a spiritual point of view these words (particularly what everyone considers the "heavy" swear words) CAN drive away the spirit and increase the strength of the natural man within us. I tend to use the lighter swear words somewhat regularly... but I at least try to stay away from the heavier words, preferring to use explicatives instead. Explicatives sound funnier, and are far more appropriate for any given situation.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

Therapeutic as well. As a stutterer myself (mostly in my youth), I GET this:

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

The "F Word" is the most versatile word in the English language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rX7-R54-Q8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

When I swear, I am only feeling one of two things. 1 Anger at whatever I am doing. 2 Embarrassment, even when the group is accustomed to swearing.

I never have any other emotion when swearing. Even when it is a funny swear, it is still embarrassing. In addition, when I hear people I know swear, it feels bad, and I am on high alert.
Swearing is not good.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master.

A tapestry of obscenities

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Is this study done by the same guy that established a glass of red wine a day improved your health?(it came out years later he faked his research for Grant money). My problem is patience with drivers, I hate swearing ,and if anything ever slips out, it's never anything but horse poop, or a water retaining wall. I have switched over the years to expressing my frustration by saying "donkey butt". I know horrible, I should know better but sometimes even I act like a "donkey butt"..

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Sasquatch
captain of 50

Post by Sasquatch »

Other than religious profanities and crude/sexual curses (f**k, s**t, c**t, etc.), it seems kind of silly and arbitrary that using certain words is considered "swearing"; it's wrong because society says it's wrong.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

Joel wrote: June 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm The number 7 is symbolic of perfection.
Reminds me of George Carlin and seven words you can't say on TV.

Which for some reason of all of the stupid humor I listened to in my early 20's such as Steve Martin - Let's get Small etc which I have gone on to forget, still those 7 words seem etched in stone in my memory.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brlenox wrote: September 4th, 2017, 1:51 pm
Joel wrote: June 6th, 2016, 5:53 pm The number 7 is symbolic of perfection.
Reminds me of George Carlin and seven words you can't say on TV.

Which for some reason of all of the stupid humor I listened to in my early 20's such as Steve Martin - Let's get Small etc which I have gone on to forget, still those 7 words seem etched in stone in my memory.
Konfunit is ancient Hawaiian for "confound it". =))

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

Swearing is a sign of low intellect, for instance;

What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?
" Dam!" ( Fish are not smart)

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

Craig Johnson
captain of 1,000

Post by Craig Johnson »

ajax wrote: June 10th, 2016, 11:42 am The "F Word" is the most versatile word in the English language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rX7-R54-Q8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May I respectfully disagree? It is the "S" word (rhymes with spit). While I was on active duty and while I was working in corrections I collected two sets of phrases wherein the the "S" fits beautifully. There is no limit to the use of this word and one phrase with the word proves it, "Ain't that a bunch of (expletive deleted)." Try saying that with the "F" word, just does not work. Bruce Lee said "Become like water my friend." But I say, "Become like (rhymes with spit) my friend." And that is no (expletive deleted). But, who gives a you-know-what? This (insert word) is just a waste of time.
Cussing while I worked in corrections was a survival technique. Not only could you not communicate well if you did not cuss, mentally it would drive you nuts, especially if you worked for 20 years in a prison living unit. Prison living units are a real test of your mettle, I recommend everyone avoid them.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

My husband swears about once every other year or so, usually at a piece of machinery, which I find wildly attractive, both in the rare occurrences and also in the 729 (plus) days that it doesn't happen. A time and a place for everything. I personally gave up swearing in my early teens after a brief trial with it. It was not a good fit. I did swear (mildly) at one of my children once to get his attention. It worked.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

It's all very off-putting for me. I have noticed a group of youth in our ward that are into cursing. It makes me sad and I wonder if their parents know what kinds of potty mouths they have. Just the other day one of these youth ran into my son at a school dance. He slapped my boy on the back and said "how you doing mother f-----!" It was not meant to be mean towards my son but it was his friendly manner of saying hello. Mind you this boy was just recently teachers quorum president. Now that's setting a good example! Pathetic if you ask me.