Morning Sickness

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
SAM
captain of 100

Morning Sickness

Post by SAM »

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for combating morning sickness. In the past, taking a vitamin b6 and a half a unisom would help somewhat, but I hate taking the unisom because it makes me groggy and my one year still wakes up at night sometimes so I want to be alert enough to help when he needs. I've tried ginger and peppermint. Those help a little, as do the accupressure bands you wear around your wrists. However, what it usually comes down to is I need to be able to sleep for like 12 hours in order to feel functional, which is pretty impossible with small children and trying to life live, so any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. It's kind of nice to have an anonymous place I can go to ask these questions as we are trying to keep this a surprise for family and friends for a while. Should be difficult though being with them throughout the holidays. Wish me luck!

Rob
the Sunbeam

Re: Morning Sickness

Post by Rob »

Morning sickness is your body trying to detoxify itself. I would recommend taking a look at what you're eating, cutting out the garbage. Drink fresh juices, as in juice fresh fruits and veggies, especially wheatgrass juice. Dr. Christopher's Vitalerbs or Dr. Schulze's Superfood are excellent, easily assimilated sources of vitamins & minerals. Also, red raspberry leaf tea, at least 3 cups / day.

You tried ginger in what form? Crystalized ginger or ginger root tea normally helps calm the stomach.

loquaciousmomma
captain of 100

Post by loquaciousmomma »

Congratulations!!

I would recommend cinnamon, in whatever way you like it best. I prefer cinnamon/sugar on toast.

Oh, one thing that I did religiously when pregnant was to keep some crackers in my room and then I ate one before I ever got out of bed. It helped a lot!!

Let us know how it goes.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Jo's doctor give her special vitamin B shots everytime she was pregnant (8 times). The shots worked everytime.

Bob

dennis
captain of 1,000

Post by dennis »

Speaking from experience, though I have never had morning sickness, Natural is better.
Home Remedies for Morning Sickness

by Pam Cass

“Drink ginger tea for morning sickness? That’s just an old wives’ tale.” True, an old wife is likely to tell you to drink ginger tea, but consider this…those old wives had probably morning sickness themselves!

The bad news is that the nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy, commonly called morning sickness, affects about half of all pregnant women. The good news is that there are many remedies to try and if one of them doesn’t work for you, very likely another one will. If all else fails, just hang on to the fact that most women are finished with morning sickness by the beginning of their fourth month.

We’ve collected a whole variety of the various home remedies that may help with soothing your morning sickness. There is bound to be something here to help no matter whether your morning sickness consists of a little morning nausea or the all day eat and throw up variety. However, be sure to contact your caregiver if the nausea and vomiting becomes unbearable or causes you to lose weight.

Ø Get plenty of rest.

Ø Chew your food thoroughly.

Ø Make sure your stomach is never completely empty. Carry fruit, cheese and/or crackers around with you to nibble on throughout the day.

Ø Keep a snack by the bed for when you get up during the night to visit the bathroom or soothe one of the kids.

Ø Also keep a snack by the bed to eat before you lift your head from the pillow in the morning. Then, get up slowly.

Ø Eat a high protein snack before bed at night.

Ø Eat a diet high in carbohydrates and protein, low in fats.

Ø Eat salty, crunchy foods.

Ø Sniff a fresh lemon peel.

Ø Make sure your breads and crackers are whole grain.

Ø Drink wheat germ dissolved in warm milk, a few teaspoons every hour.

Ø Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey in cold water before bed.

Ø Avoid strong odors and stuffy or smoky rooms.

Ø Suck a piece of peeled ginger root.

Ø Drink red raspberry leaf, peppermint, squaw vine or spearmint tea.

Ø Drink ginger tea made by boiling some ginger root in water. Strain it and add honey to sweeten.

Ø Wear motion sickness bands on your wrists.

Ø To avoid actually vomiting, try grasping your tongue with a piece of cloth and pulling gently but firmly.

Ø If you are vomiting a lot, try limiting your diet to a single food, one that you know you can tolerate. Add one additional food per day as you can tolerate them.

Ø Put three drops of lavender essential oil and one of peppermint in a diffuser or humidifier to scent the air.

Ø Place a cool lavender scented compress on your forehead and a warm lavender compress over your rib cage.

Ø Get a massage with chamomile massage oil.

Ø Drink liquids between rather than with meals.

Ø Avoid greasy foods.

Ø Snack on ginger snap cookies, homemade and with real ginger, if possible.

Ø Chew gum.

Ø Get regular, gentle exercise.

Ø Increase your intake of vitamin B6.

Ø Try taking your vitamins later in the day.

Ø Try changing your iron supplement.

Ø Give in to your food cravings.

Ø Sip a carbonated beverage.

Ø Get plenty of fresh air.

Ø Try tart flavors; lemonade, sour pickles, etc.

Ø Don’t brush your teeth immediately after eating.

Ø Lie completely still with your eyes closed.

Ø Suck on frozen popsicles, especially lemonade.
Natural Food Sources Containing Vitamin B6:
Avocado, bananas, yeast extract, dried brewer's yeast, wheat bran, wheat germ, oat flakes, sardines, mackerel, beef, poultry, brown rice, cabbage, molasses, free range eggs.

Vitamin B6 Nutrition Benefits for the Body:
General -Anti allergy, anti depressant, necessary to production of hydrochloric acid in stomach, necessary for absorption of protein, necessary for absorption of fats - one of the most-used nutrients by the body.

Therapeutic Uses for Vitamin B6: Controlling travel sickness, depression associated with some types of birth control, convulsions in infants, skin lesions, skin allergies, bronchial asthma and radiation sickness.

Vitamin B6 Deficiency Symptoms:

Posted this because of swollen abdomen . ???Pregnant

Cracked lips, inflamed tongue, swollen tongue, swollen abdomen, swollen fingers, swollen ankles, breast discomforts, mild depression, scaly facial skin, headaches, inflamed nerve endings
Responses so far One sister,, 3 guys. Strange

sbsion
captain of 1,000

Post by sbsion »

something simple might work, ie half teaspoon of baking soda, or just eating soda crackers...many times morning sickness is a "hangover" from last nites meals, stay away from red meat and see if that cuts it down some..Then there is TUMS or Rolaids

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I don't have advice, but wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I was actually lucky and didn't get morning sickness. I got a little nauseated at night, and toward the end of pregnancy my stomach was pressed up so high, I'd cough and puke with no warning (that was fun!) but I lucked out with the morning sickness. I figured it was only fair after all the nausea and vomiting caused by fertility meds over the years. :)

I know there is more they can do for you, but I'd have to ask some friends because I don't remember. My cousin had really horrible morning (all day) sickness with her twins and I seem to recall her talking about something they gave her that worked - she had the same complaints about the unisom.

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

citrus and lemons always helped me.
beans? http://inashoe.com/2009/10/bean-cure/

Jason
Master of Puppets

Post by Jason »

my wife found during the course of 7 pregnancies in 10 years.....that the more sugar she ate.....the worse the morning sickness! Every pregnancy was a little different though....for a couple she would throw up right away at the smell of fried eggs (a prior staple in my diet).

nutmeg
captain of 50

Post by nutmeg »

so far i have not been plagued by the truly terrible kind of morning sickness in my pregnancies, but like ChelC, in my first pregnancy i would get really nauseous at night until i discovered something interesting, which is that (not to gross everybody out) that my level of nausea seemed to be directly related to the, er, *slowness* of my digestion system. so paying special attention to eating very high fiber foods and no crap (white flour, fast food, sugar, etc) really really really helped.

then by my second pregnancy i had discovered green smoothies and another wonderful wonderful thing, liquid chlorophyll. its easier and yummier than wheatgrass juice (that wheatgrass juice is even more wonderful, if you can stomach it during pregnancy!) you can get it in mint flavor and pour a little in your water several times a day and it gives you lots of energy and keeps that digestive system gently flowing. its also a great great blood builder, which brings me to my other discovery--regular prenatal pills SUCK. not to be too vulgar...lol. if you take green smoothies and liquid chlorophyll you will get a much better source of iron. in my 2nd pregnancy i did not take prenatals, just a few individual supplements but i got lots of green in the two forms i mentioned above and very occasionally, like 1 or 2 times a week, i would muscle down a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses. i was just too lazy to make it in a recipe, but you can find lots of recipes so you could sneak in blackstrap molasses if just gulping some down straight is a bit daunting! anyway, my midwife was always blown away by my iron levels (there weren't just average, they were GREAT) and i had none of the nausea and very little of the fatigue that i had in my first pregnancy. green smoothies are really the best, but if you are feeling lazy/tired (who can blame you!) than just get some of that liquid chlorophyll.

also, if it makes you nervous not to take a prenatal, that have super healthy versions of prenatals at the health food store--i would recommend something that is raw and whole food. i did start taking that about halfway through my pregnancy. you might also look for a homeopathic morning sickness remedy. i've heard other people have succes with that. and the lavendar from the above list really helps too. in my first i would carry a lavendar sachet in my purse and quick hold it up to my nose when i felt a wave of nausea coming on. i once spent almost an entire day on a road trip from WA to UT with that sachet under my nose, lol!

anyway, congrats! hope something helps!

ShawnC
Minion

Post by ShawnC »

chicafoom wrote:I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for combating morning sickness.
Don't get pregnant.

homeroom
captain of 10

Post by homeroom »

Eight pregnancies, each worse (in terms of morning sickness) than the one previous, and each lasting FAR past mornings, so I feel for you. I really do. What worked for me was injections of B-6 vitamins prescribed by my dr. and administered by my sister-in-law. They sting, but a shot every several days really does help. That and sucking on wintergreen lifesavers, for some weird reason.

SAM
captain of 100

Post by SAM »

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. I had a few rough days, but it would appear the bean advice wins for something that is working, at least so far today. I have felt 100% times better, not perfect, but far more functional. I have eaten a lot of beans and not a lot of much else besides some apples, orange juice and saltines, but hey, I'll take it. I hope you all have a very merry Christmas!

keeprunning
captain of 100

Post by keeprunning »

Wow, that is good to know! I'm glad you read the link, then.

Awake & Arise
captain of 10

Post by Awake & Arise »

Ginger, ginger, ginger. I recommend ginger candy the most (it's the easiest to take). Don't take capsules (too strong.) Any other form should be OK. It strengthens your uterus, too, not to mention a whole slew of other vital systems. A tiny bit warded off my morning sickness for two days, but don't wait to feel sick. Take a little everyday and your overall health will improve.

By the way, cooked carrots (I like sauteed best!) for the coming heartburn.

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Post by Scarecrow »

My wife gets horrible morning sickness. So bad that she usually looses weight during pregnancy and ends up on the anti-nausea medicine given to chemo patients. Her doctor recommended she take a Vitamin B6 pill and half of a Unisom and it seemed to work pretty well.

bbrown
captain of 100

Post by bbrown »

So posting on an old post, but I thought I'd add that if you self-medicate (I had hyperemesis gravidarum in my first two) with the unisom and play around a bit that you may find something that works better, and once I found the right amount and frequency, it worked better than the prescribed stuff did for me. Not something you'd want to take if it is garden-variety morning sickness, though. It seemed like I had to take them in 1/2's or even 1/4 pills and more than once a day instead of one dose in the morning/evening. It did wonders when it finally worked (I should add that my m/s showed up around the time most peoples disappears) and I knew I didn't need it any more when I had my first craving for food. When everything you eat or drink comes up (water even), nothing sounds good, so when things start to sound good, you know you can stop the pills! ;)

paul
Hi, I'm new.

Post by paul »

Hi buddy,
This kind of the problem faces many of the person's in the world. I think that Dennis post is much helpful in this era and following his argument's will surely help's allot....... And one thing more that are you doing any kind of the workout or not...???

sixgunsue
captain of 100

Post by sixgunsue »

bbrown wrote:So posting on an old post, but I thought I'd add that if you self-medicate (I had hyperemesis gravidarum in my first two) with the unisom and play around a bit that you may find something that works better, and once I found the right amount and frequency, it worked better than the prescribed stuff did for me. Not something you'd want to take if it is garden-variety morning sickness, though. It seemed like I had to take them in 1/2's or even 1/4 pills and more than once a day instead of one dose in the morning/evening. It did wonders when it finally worked (I should add that my m/s showed up around the time most peoples disappears) and I knew I didn't need it any more when I had my first craving for food. When everything you eat or drink comes up (water even), nothing sounds good, so when things start to sound good, you know you can stop the pills! ;)
Hey bbrown, I get HG too, it's awful. :ymsick: I just wanted to let everyone reading this who gets it or knows someone who does,
there is a great website and forum...http://forums.helpher.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helpher.org. They have tons of info an help and the ladies on the forums are great!

paul
Hi, I'm new.

Post by paul »

Your post is much helpful ....

dennis wrote:Speaking from experience, though I have never had morning sickness, Natural is better.

by Pam Cass

“Drink ginger tea for morning sickness? That’s just an old wives’ tale.” True, an old wife is likely to tell you to drink ginger tea, but consider this…those old wives had probably morning sickness themselves!

The bad news is that the nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy, commonly called morning sickness, affects about half of all pregnant women. The good news is that there are many remedies to try and if one of them doesn’t work for you, very likely another one will. If all else fails, just hang on to the fact that most women are finished with morning sickness by the beginning of their fourth month.

We’ve collected a whole variety of the various home remedies that may help with soothing your morning sickness. There is bound to be something here to help no matter whether your morning sickness consists of a little morning nausea or the all day eat and throw up variety. However, be sure to contact your caregiver if the nausea and vomiting becomes unbearable or causes you to lose weight.

Ø Get plenty of rest.

Ø Make sure your stomach is never completely empty. Carry fruit, cheese and/or crackers around with you to nibble on throughout the day.

Ø Keep a snack by the bed for when you get up during the night to visit the bathroom or soothe one of the kids.

Ø Also keep a snack by the bed to eat before you lift your head from the pillow in the morning. Then, get up slowly.

Ø Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon honey in cold water before bed.

Ø Drink ginger tea made by boiling some ginger root in water. Strain it and add honey to sweeten.

Ø To avoid actually vomiting, try grasping your tongue with a piece of cloth and pulling gently but firmly.

Ø If you are vomiting a lot, try limiting your diet to a single food, one that you know you can tolerate. Add one additional food per day as you can tolerate them.

Ø Put three drops of lavender essential oil and one of peppermint in a diffuser or humidifier to scent the air.

Ø Place a cool lavender scented compress on your forehead and a warm lavender compress over your rib cage.

Ø Avoid greasy foods.

Ø Chew gum.

Avocado, bananas, yeast extract, dried brewer's yeast, wheat bran, wheat germ, oat flakes, sardines, mackerel, beef, poultry, brown rice, cabbage, molasses, free range eggs.

General -Anti allergy, anti depressant, necessary to production of hydrochloric acid in stomach, necessary for absorption of protein, necessary for absorption of fats - one of the most-used nutrients by the body.

Therapeutic Uses for Vitamin B6: Controlling travel sickness, depression associated with some types of birth control, convulsions in infants, skin lesions, skin allergies, bronchial asthma and radiation sickness.

Cracked lips, inflamed tongue, swollen tongue, swollen abdomen, swollen fingers, swollen ankles, breast discomforts, mild depression, scaly facial skin, headaches, inflamed nerve endings

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Emetrol (phosphorated carbohydrate)
Set alarm for 3 am, eat
Eat before getting out of bed, before shower and brushing teeth.
Eat frequent small meals and avoid getting hungry.
active B complex (methylcobalamin, not cyanocobalamin)
s-adenosylmethionine (SAMe)

Weved1950
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Weved1950 »

dennis wrote:Speaking from experience, though I have never had morning sickness, Natural is better.

by Pam Cass

Ø Get plenty of rest.

Ø Avoid greasy foods.

Ø Chew gum.

I agree with dennis we never thought about these things .

jessica1000
Hi, I'm new.

Post by jessica1000 »

I have many questions about morning sickness, Why do they call it morning sickness when I feel nauseated all day long?
What causes nausea and vomiting during pregnancy?
Are some pregnant women more likely than others to feel queasy?
Will my nausea affect my baby?
If I don't have morning sickness, does that mean I'm more likely to have a miscarriage?
What can I do to get relief?
What about anti nausea medications?
What if I just can't keep anything down?
En español

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

jessica1000 wrote:I have many questions about morning sickness, Why do they call it morning sickness when I feel nauseated all day long?
What causes nausea and vomiting during pregnancy?
Are some pregnant women more likely than others to feel queasy?
Will my nausea affect my baby?
If I don't have morning sickness, does that mean I'm more likely to have a miscarriage?
What can I do to get relief?
What about anti nausea medications?
What if I just can't keep anything down?
En español
My wife suffered from severe morning sickness during her pregnancies, especially the second one requiring a trip to the hospital at one point for severe dehydration.

Years later we learned she was gluten intolerant. I put these together because one theory of morning sickness is that it's the attempt by the mother's body to remove junk from the system to make a clean space for the fetus. If you're experiencing morning sickness, take a hard look at what you're eating and remove common allergens/intolerances form the diet and see if it improves. I'm betting it will.

Dlight
captain of 100

Post by Dlight »

Below is a great article explaining how magnesium deficiency is likely the root cause of most morning sickness.

I would take 400 mg magnesium asporotate by Solaray at bed time.

This is helpful but the best way to get magnesium is transdermally. I'd buy a magnesium chloride spray and spray it on your skin (chest and back) 15 minutes before showering (it can be a bit itchy). Or do Epsom salt baths every 2-3 days with 3-4 cups of epsom salt added to the bath. (Epsom Salt is processed by the kidneys quickly and leaves the body much faster than magnesium chloride). You can also add about 1/4 cup of liquid magnesium chloride to the epsom salt bath for greater effect and longer lasting results, but it is a bit more costly. Be sure to soak for 30-45 minutes for it to work.

The magnesium has the added bonus of being essential and great for your developing baby. Most mothers are very short in this during their pregnancy, and magnesium is so vital in cell division and proper function that your body will actually leach the magnesium from your bones to compensate for shortfalls.

Other things like ginger gum(super great if you feel like your about to be sick), peppermint essential oil diffused can also be used,

http://www.mommypotamus.com/the-real-ca ... -sickness/
Good products for transdermal magnesium are found in the link below, but also can be found on amazon.

http://livingthegoodlifenaturally.com/p ... magnesium/