Oil pulling - has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
Bananikka
captain of 100

Re: Oil pulling - has anyone heard of this or tried it?

Post by Bananikka »

I love that some people say that their cavities actually HEAL thus way. Amazing!!

LYFETRNL
captain of 50

Post by LYFETRNL »

Desert Roses wrote:
LYFETRNL wrote:I've been reading about oil pulling and what some of you have stated here. I think I may buy the Coconut oil to try this, hopefully this is the easiest one on the taste buds. Do I need to put it in my mouth as a solid or does it need to be melted some first?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never ever used Coconut Oil for anything.

And about how much, a tablespoon in solid form?

Last, I noticed someone mentioned that they buy theirs on amazon made by Nutiva. Would this be your over all choice?? Kind of pricey in my opinion but I'm just starting to look at pricing.

For those that recommend sunflower oil, what kind should I get? It wouldn't be the kind you ordinarily buy from the grocery store would it??

Thank you
I'd be sure to use only "cold pressed" type oils. The others lose any healthy properties by heating and processing. Walmart is not a good place to purchase oils for this kind of use. They should be stored in the refrigerator.

I read that "cold pressed" oils are tricky to cook with. They don't react well with heat. Even though I am wanting to use this for oil pulling, I would also like to use it to cook with due to the size of the container. I mean 2---52oz containers seems like an awful lot to use just for oil pulling. I don't want it to go bad on me before it's used up so I thought I might as well cook with it. I don't believe Nutiva's Coconut oil is "cold pressed" since it states that it doesn't have to be refrigerated. Just curious.

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

LYFETRNL wrote:
Desert Roses wrote:
LYFETRNL wrote:I've been reading about oil pulling and what some of you have stated here. I think I may buy the Coconut oil to try this, hopefully this is the easiest one on the taste buds. Do I need to put it in my mouth as a solid or does it need to be melted some first?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I have never ever used Coconut Oil for anything.

And about how much, a tablespoon in solid form?

Last, I noticed someone mentioned that they buy theirs on amazon made by Nutiva. Would this be your over all choice?? Kind of pricey in my opinion but I'm just starting to look at pricing.

For those that recommend sunflower oil, what kind should I get? It wouldn't be the kind you ordinarily buy from the grocery store would it??

Thank you
I'd be sure to use only "cold pressed" type oils. The others lose any healthy properties by heating and processing. Walmart is not a good place to purchase oils for this kind of use. They should be stored in the refrigerator.

I read that "cold pressed" oils are tricky to cook with. They don't react well with heat. Even though I am wanting to use this for oil pulling, I would also like to use it to cook with due to the size of the container. I mean 2---52oz containers seems like an awful lot to use just for oil pulling. I don't want it to go bad on me before it's used up so I thought I might as well cook with it. I don't believe Nutiva's Coconut oil is "cold pressed" since it states that it doesn't have to be refrigerated. Just curious.
I always use cold pressed virgin oils for our food. Heating them would include cooking, so yes, they lose their health properties when you cook with them. You can buy smaller bottles of oil at health food stores, and if you are using coconut oil, just look for "virgin". If you store coconut oil longer than a few months, it has to go in the frig to keep it from going rancid. Nutiva, I believe, is a virgin oil. The smaller bottles of sesame or sunflower oil shouldn't be very expensive.

AshleyB
captain of 1,000

Post by AshleyB »

soberminded wrote:I have been oil pulling since the beginning of the year. I use sesame oil. The benefits are amazing. My mouth feels squeaky clean, no more bad breath, no plaque, frequent bowel movement daily, and clear complexion among other things. One night i had a toothache and the oil pulling cleared that pain within an hour. This is amazing, almost like magic...:) No bad effect so i will continue to do this.

OI, Thank you for sharing this valuable info.

Oil pulling is great. I have been doing it on and off for a while now I can really tell a difference in my oral health when I do it. I also like the added benefit of it pulling toxins from the body and the teeth whitening. Soberminded, for toothaches try applying a bit of clove oil. Talk about magic. That stuff is AMAZING. It's an essential oil if you've never tried it or heard of it. I discovered this quite by accident really. I had a tooth that was really sensitive and achy and I pulled out my essential oils. I decided to try out the clove and put some on my dental floss to floss with. It takes the pain RIGHT away. You only need one drop but I noticed it seemed to have a numbing effect. And if you floss with it regularly it helps with tooth sensitivity. I later read online that clove is a natural anesthetic and I believed it because of what it did for my toothache and the numbing effect.

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

/bump for some folks just talking about this.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Sorry for missing this thread.

Merriner
captain of 50

Post by Merriner »

My wife and I heard that the Nutiva Coconut oil is great for your money and is doesn't use chemical bleaching when extracted and processed with very little heat. Tropical Traditions is the best though because it is extracted using the time honored fermentation method. You just have to pay twice as much for it. Nutiva is fine though.

All the cheap vegetable oils on the market are unhealthy in the long run and you should avoid them, including corn, soy, and canola oils. These cheaper oils less healthy due to the unstable fats in them, if they are extracted using high pressure, high heat and chemical treatments you end up with damaged unhealthy oils.

Tropical oils like Coconut and Palm oil are very high in saturated fats and become stiff like butter below 76 deg. F. The saturated fats withstand the heat of cooking well and resist becoming rancid. Just make sure to keep moisture and other contaminants out and store it in a dark place. Some say coconut oil will last indefinitely this way. I don't pay much attention to expiration dates. Just because the date expired doesn't mean the product did. Maybe in extreme conditions that is the best longest it would last, but if you do 1, 2, and 3 just ignore the expiration date.

Rub a little on for skin lotion, lip balm, diaper cream, or hair product. Its a gentle antifungal, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties make it useful in healing too. Hence, great for oil pulling.

haydon123
Hi, I'm new.

Post by haydon123 »

Oil pulling is the practice of swishing or holding oils from plants in the mouth for long periods of time to produce health benefits. It is an ancient folk remedy that has been researched, and while not all of the claims of oil pulling enthusiasts are true, oil pulling does have its uses. Some popular oils used in oil pulling are sunflower, coconut, sesame, olive and palm. While coconut is one of the most popular pulling oils which has much better benefits than others.
Details:
- Will not harm enamel on teeth like other acidic products.
- Contains no toxic solvents, chemicals or fillers
- Will not harm fillings or dental work

How To Use:
- Swish one tablespoon for five to twenty minutes.
- Spit in the trash can rinse, then brush teeth as normal.
- Repeat two to three times a week
Coconut oil has been found to be an ideal choice due to the lauric acid binding with the bacteria in the mouth during the “pulling” process. We recommend starting pulling for five minutes, then increase the time gradually. Move the oil around your mouth as if it were mouthwash, but do not gargle or swallow.
For information regarding Oil pulling benefits and their various typers and procedure follow: http://www.teethwhiteningkit.org/blog/o ... iter-teeth

Rtinez81
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Rtinez81 »

Woah! Thanks for bringing this up. I didn’t know about this until now. I am going to ask my dentist Torrance more about it. I am very much conscious about my teeth and I want to take proper care of them. Also, I want to take my kids for a dental check-up.