Apple Cider Vinegar

Alternative/natural solution-based discussions of topics like health, medicine, science, food, etc.
SAM
captain of 100

Apple Cider Vinegar

Post by SAM »

I am sure many of you have come across claims that drinking a small amount of raw apple cider vinegar, diluted in water or juice, each day cures a number of ailments and is a great healthy supplement to the diet. I am intrigued by these claims, but I am uncertain where vinegar falls in regards to the word of wisdom. All vinegar is alcohol that has gone through a second fermentation process. So, the question is, is vinegar alcoholic? Does that second fermentation process reduce or remove the dangerous alcoholic properties we are supposed to avoid? I can't get a definitive answer either way. I am guessing it is fine for consumption since pickled foods have never been on the word of wisdom radar. However, I am still not 100% sure, despite all the potential health benefits, that it is something I would want to drink everyday and give to my family. Plenty of studies have shown some daily doses of green tea or wine are healthy as well, yet we believe we will receive other health blessings for abstaining from them completely. Does uncooked vinegar fall into this same category?

I am not trying to split hairs and be Pharisaical about this. I am making it a matter of prayer, in order to obtain the spirit of the law about this, but I am curious of others' opinions and / or experiences are with apple cider vinegar healing.

ndjili
captain of 100

Re: Apple Cider Vinegar

Post by ndjili »

I've never heard anything that told us to abstain from vinegar. but here you go
Vinegar is one of many foods created by bacteria and yeasts. Most vinegars start from crushed fruit or grains and exposed first to yeasts and later to bacteria. The yeast ferments the sugars in the fruit to create alcohol. Then, specific bacteria break down the alcohol to form acetic acid, the main component of vinegar.
The fastest way to produce homemade apple cider vinegar is to start with a hard cider that has already been completely fermented (no sugar left) to an alcohol content of 5 to 6 %.
The vinegar is not alcohol as it is allowed to ferment more and break the alcohol down. Also when looking at the alcohol content of hard cider..it's very small to begin with....

katmr
captain of 100

Post by katmr »

According to what I've read, the answer is yes it does but in such trace amounts it is nearly impossible to detect. I use apple cider vinegar for my family. It can be used daily as a preventative measure for ailments, however I have used ours mainly just to treat ailments when they come. We've had great success using it and I think considering it's cost and the # of ailments it treats, it's one of the best things we can have on hand as backup in case there comes a time when going to the Dr. is not possible. Coupled with the fact that the alcohol content is so small it's nearly impossible to detect and that you generally put 1-2 tsp. in a large glass of water. I feel it's okay and far different than sitting down to drink a glass full of wine or tea. but those are just my feelings and it's always good to take things you are unsure about to the Lord.

Scarecrow
captain of 100

Post by Scarecrow »

chicafoom wrote:I am sure many of you have come across claims that drinking a small amount of raw apple cider vinegar, diluted in water or juice, each day cures a number of ailments and is a great healthy supplement to the diet. I am intrigued by these claims, but I am uncertain where vinegar falls in regards to the word of wisdom. All vinegar is alcohol that has gone through a second fermentation process. So, the question is, is vinegar alcoholic? Does that second fermentation process reduce or remove the dangerous alcoholic properties we are supposed to avoid? I can't get a definitive answer either way. I am guessing it is fine for consumption since pickled foods have never been on the word of wisdom radar. However, I am still not 100% sure, despite all the potential health benefits, that it is something I would want to drink everyday and give to my family. Plenty of studies have shown some daily doses of green tea or wine are healthy as well, yet we believe we will receive other health blessings for abstaining from them completely. Does uncooked vinegar fall into this same category?

I am not trying to split hairs and be Pharisaical about this. I am making it a matter of prayer, in order to obtain the spirit of the law about this, but I am curious of others' opinions and / or experiences are with apple cider vinegar healing.
I know for a fact that vinegar is used in all the Church institutions such as BYU, the Temple cafeterias and the Temple Square restaurants.

I think the amount of alcohol, if any, in ACV or any other vinegars for that matter is so miniscule, as to be neglegible. But in today's world it is hard to avoid it. For example many cough syrups, cold remedies, mouthwashes etc. have significant amounts of alcohol; Many prescription medications have narcotics in them; Vanilla and other extracts are all alcohol; Many restaurant dishes are prepared with wine or other spirits (especially Italian) and they often don't say it on the menu; Ever make sourdough pancakes or bread? The starter ferments and produces alcohol as well. Chocolate has small smounts of caffeine in it; and so on and so on.

As a person who usually sees the world in black and white, I've wrestled with this decision, and for me, all of the above seem fine with me both within the letter and the spirit of the law, but each of us has to make a determination where the line in the sand is for themselves.

Edited to add a link to this post that lists some of Pres. McKay's feelings on this matter: http://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/viewtopi ... 4&p=158186

Moss Man
captain of 100

Post by Moss Man »

Make sure the vinegar is raw and unprocessed. I've stopped using apple cider vinegar and switched to coconut. You can find raw fermented coconut vinegar. It has more nutrition than the apple vinegar.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Moss Man wrote: November 3rd, 2010, 11:23 am Make sure the vinegar is raw and unprocessed. I've stopped using apple cider vinegar and switched to coconut. You can find raw fermented coconut vinegar. It has more nutrition than the apple vinegar.
Interesting!

Tonight I’m testing round crackers by eating them with a kipper snack doused in 100% olive oil, while drinking a Pelligrino water spiked with ACV and Balsamic Vinegar..

Dr. Gundry features my drink concoction minus ACV in one of his videos.

My test is to see if the crackers set off acid reflux. This I believe was misdiagnosed as Barrett’s Esophagus many years ago, and I’ve been taking a daily prescribed medicine, ever since. Lay off the Lectins and I don’t need to take it. And other inflammatory symptoms disappear, as well.

Now I have Lectin Shield for those times I choose to indulge in eating tomatoes, and now crackers are up for experiment.

White rice is ok and surprisingly pumpkin seeds are ok too. The cracker package isn’t in English so I really don’t know what’s in them. Almost immediately, my skin is less dry from about 4 tablespoons of olive oil on the herring snack dish.

Anyone tried ACV?

Edit to add: freeze 1/4 to 1/2 bottle of seltzer water, then fill it up from another bottle for a really nice drink of ice water.
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on February 1st, 2018, 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

DesertWonderer2
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer2 »

I wentp through an entire bottle of apple cider vinegar w the dosage explained above and saw zero results. I suspect the only benefits that would come if any from vinegar are the placebo effect. If someone could explain it’s mechanism of action that may be a start but so far I’ve not seem that it can be explained.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

I've experienced direct results from Apple Cider Vinegar. Now I take it occasionally and especially when I'm sick or feel like I'm getting sick (as well as Vitamin C and garlic). My first experience with it was when I had a rash that wasn't going away and this was before I had ever tried Apple Cider Vinegar. Someone gave me a drink with it and the rash went away that day and never came back.

Apple Cider Vinegar can improve your digestive system and overall gut health. See: https://healthyhints.com/apple-cider-vi ... gut-health -- improving your digestive system, gut health (and immune system) are huge factors in maintaining your health.

Also, make sure it's the raw Apple Cider Vinegar, such as the Bragg's brand.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

I use ACV all the time for various reasons. I started years ago to help my acid reflux. People think yikes, ACV is very acidic. On the contrary it is very alkalizing to the body. Doctors will tell people they have too much acid in their gut. That is so untrue. Because of most people's bad diets, the stomach's ability to properly break down foods is compromised and people actually don't have enough stomach acids to digest food. Acid reflux is all about diet. (And it's not necessarily grain related) That is another topic though.

I use it more heavily when I feel like I'm coming down with something, anything. It has stopped stomach illness for me as well as stopped colds in their tracks. IF taken at the first sign of not feeling well more often than not, it never fully appears. If you have a cold that does hit you, ACV tea (warm not hot water with 2 Tablespoons ACV and some real raw honey, maybe a dash of cinnamon) it will sooth coughs, sore throats and stuffy noses. I have also used it for kidney stones. I had an awful attack once, the pain was bad. ACV nearly stopped the pain. It does help break up the stones.

YES, YES ACV is great stuff. Yes you do need to get use to it, but my above mentioned concoction I actually find rather enjoying.

My go to website https://www.earthclinic.com/remedies/acvinegar.html

farmerchick
captain of 1,000

Post by farmerchick »

Cold and unpresses apple cider vinegar.... my husband and I have not had the flu, while some folks we know are out with the flu for a second time this season. A warm herbal sleep tea with a dash of vinegar and raw honey as a night cap (I'm sipping it now..lol).... nothing better......I recommend everyone try it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Thank you, to all who replied.

There’s Dr. Gundry demonstrating his soda. Adding ACV gives it a nice tart edge, best served ice cold.

My bottle says it’s distilled, so I ordered some of the Braggs brand from eBay. The round crackers weren’t a problem. Today I ate Fundela and PB & strawberry jam on white bread. Then a Hawaiian tortilla pizza from mango six, without the pizza sauce. In Italy and most of Europe they remove the seeds and peel the tomatoes, before making sauce with them. This removes the Lectins which is what causes many problems.

My condition makes me what Dr. Gundry calls a canary, and there’s no mistaking acid reflux. I needed a couple of tums, but when I eat a toxin, the only thing that works is an extra strength prescription proton pump inhibitor, that wrecks my acid production and limits my digestion of B vitamins. Now I notice clear skin and the absence of brain fog when I’m Lectin free. So far only tomatoes set it off, but still need to test potatoes and green beans. My pressure cooker is almost here, so I can properly destroy the lectins that are in many types of beans.

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Since I've been drinking it, I've noticed I don't gain weight as easily.

And no, it's not an alcoholic beverage. People drink more alcohol when taking Robitussin.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

The Roman soldiers drank a drink called Posca, which had vinegar in it. The soldiers used it in areas too where the water supply was tainted. Then you read that when Christ was on the cross they lifted a sponge of a vinegar drink to his lips. It could be they were trying to show mercy.