A Good Reason to run for elected office

Discuss principles, issues, news and candidates related to upcoming elections and voting.
lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

A Good Reason to run for elected office

Post by lundbaek »

When I ran for US Congress for the Constitution Party in 2008, I knew I didn't have a prayer's chance in a barroom of getting elected. I, and even my wife on occasion, caught flak (from Church members, would you believe) for me taking votes away from a Republican candidate. I've never yet found an LDS legislative office holder who was not lacking either the intellect to understand the US Constitution or the integrity to be guided by it. My real motive for campaigning for myself and at the same time for the Baldwin-Castle ticket was because it gave me excellent opportunities to call attention to the benefits of a graadual return of our government to constituional principles. And also, it gave me excellent opportunities to point out to many, many LDSs our responsibility to "befriend the constitutional law of the land" as commanded in D&C 98:6 and in the Preface to that section. With LDSs, I started with D&C 134:1, then D&C 101:77 & 80, and then 98:6. It's pretty hard to argue with the Lord about those statements. Nearly 5 months have passed now, and gradually I am finding that my campaign and presentations did have an effect on some people. At least it got them thinking.

I hope as many of you as possible will consider running for office. I chose the Constitution Party because I knew I would not be eliminated in the primaries and could continue campaigning until November, and also the name of the party got the word "Constitution" at least into peoples' cerebral computers.

I do not want to run again in 2010. I hope to get someone else better suited than I to run for the Constitution Party; someone who can more effectively awaken more people to the benefits of government compliance with constitutional principles, and awaken more LDSs to their responsibilities in connection with the Constitution. Frankly, I would rather plow what money I would spend on a campaign on preparedness instead. As much as I would like to help rally people to support a return to government under constitutional principles, I am convinced that before that can happen, America is going to have to hit bottom and be "cleansed" in ways that past prophets have warned us about.

But maybe carrying the torch for the Constitutioin now will help prepare a "remnant" among younger folks that will enable America to arise from the ashes, as certain Church leaders have also prophecied.

Shabako
captain of 50

Re: A Good Reason to run for elected office

Post by Shabako »

I agree with you 100% and I think you should be strongly commended for deciding to run for office, which in and of itself is a huge sacrifice. And, knowing that you didn't have much of a strong chance to win, just further shows what your real motivation was for campaigning. I salute you and appreciate your efforts. I agree that more LDS should run for office, especially those who understand principles of the Constitution and realize the real threats we face today.

joseph
captain of 100

Re: A Good Reason to run for elected office

Post by joseph »

It takes a lot of courage to run for public office as a third party candidate. As others in this forum have found out, whenever anyone promotes Constitutional ideas, they are quickly singled out and ridiculed.