what is the name of the holy Ghost

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re: what is the name of the holy Ghost

Post by freedomforall »

To all those that claim the fulness of the gospel is not here with us, here is proof it is and consequences for rejecting it:

3 Nephi 16:10
10 And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them.

1. At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel...doesn't this apply to people claiming the fulness is not with us?

2. shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth...pretty serious stuff here.

3. shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations...Doesn't this stuff indeed exist in the church today, among some members of Christ's church, and those that felt it necessary to leave the church in thinking it either doesn't contain the fulness of the gospel, or that it teaches false or partial doctrine?

4. if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father, I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them...this is in reference to us, today. The fulness of the gospel is present right now, but could be withdrawn if people reject it.

Morm. 8:36 (35–41)
35 Behold, I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.
36 And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.
37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.
38 O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?
39 Why do ye adorn yourselves with that which hath no life, and yet suffer the hungry, and the needy, and the naked, and the sick and the afflicted to pass by you, and notice them not?
40 Yea, why do ye build up your secret abominations to get gain, and cause that widows should mourn before the Lord, and also orphans to mourn before the Lord, and also the blood of their fathers and their husbands to cry unto the Lord from the ground, for vengeance upon your heads?
41 Behold, the sword of vengeance hangeth over you; and the time soon cometh that he avengeth the blood of the saints upon you, for he will not suffer their cries any longer.
Aren't there Saints and Aints? Isn't there much wickedness all around us, people rejecting Christ for evil doings? Doesn't the fulness of the gospel call out to them?

3 Ne. 20:28 (27–28)
27 And after that ye were blessed then fulfilleth the Father the covenant which he made with Abraham, saying: In thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed—unto the pouring out of the Holy Ghost through me upon the Gentiles, which blessing upon the Gentiles shall make them mighty above all, unto the scattering of my people, O house of Israel.
28 And they shall be a scourge unto the people of this land. Nevertheless, when they shall have received the fulness of my gospel, then if they shall harden their hearts against me I will return their iniquities upon their own heads, saith the Father.

D&C 6:31
31 But if they reject not my words, which shall be established by the testimony which shall be given, blessed are they, and then shall ye have joy in the fruit of your labors.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

http://en.fairmormon.org/Doctrine_and_C ... th/Removed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Question: Why were the Lectures on Faith removed from the Doctrine and Covenants in 1921?
The Church said that they were removed because they had never been presented to or accepted by the membership as being anything other than theological lectures or lessons

The Church removed the Lectures from the Doctrine and Covenants in the 1921 edition with an explanation that the Lectures "were never presented to nor accepted by the Church as being otherwise than theological lectures or lessons".[6] This is in contrast to the remaining pages of the original Doctrine and Covenants which are officially recognized as divine revelation given specifically to the church.

Joseph Fielding Smith said the following concerning their removal:

a) They were not received as revelations by the prophet Joseph Smith.
b) They are instructions relative to the general subject of faith. They are explanations of this principle but not doctrine.
c) They are not complete as to their teachings regarding the Godhead. More complete instructions on the point of doctrine are given in section 130 of the 1876 and all subsequent editions of the Doctrine and Covenants.
d) It was thought by Elder James E. Talmage, chairman, and other members of the committee who were responsible for their omission that to avoid confusion and contention on this vital point of belief, it would be better not to have them bound in the same volume as the commandments or revelations which make up the Doctrine and Covenants.[7]

Question: Were the Lectures on Faith revelations?
The Lectures were not revelations

Even hostile readers in 1838 understood that there was a distinct difference between the Lectures and the revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants:

The first part [of the D&C] contains seven lectures on Faith, but the second is of most importance, containing what are termed, “Covenants and Commandments of the Lord, to his servants of the Church of the Latter Day Saints.” This part includes one hundred and two sections, ninety-seven of which are occupied by as many professed revelations.[8]

Bruce R. McConkie wrote regarding the lectures, "They were not themselves classed as revelations, but in them is to be found some of the best lesson material ever prepared on the Godhead; on the character, perfections, and attributes of God; on faith, miracles, and sacrifice. They can be studied with great profit by all gospel scholars."[9] The 1990 republication of the Lectures signals the desire of some LDS scholars to stimulate interest in their historical and doctrinal significance for the Church.
...................................................................................................................................................
Mosiah 15:1-5 explains how Jehovah, the Spirit, and Jesus, the flesh, are Father and Son. Fore Jesus Christ is called the Very Eternal Father.

Jehovah/Christ is the Son of The Father of all the Universe. He having a body of flesh and bones, thus The Father and the Son have bodies.

Then we have the Holy Ghost, who one day will get a body himself.

These three make up Deity.

The lectures on Faith describes what we learn in Mosiah 15:1-5. The Father, is a personage of Spirit being Jehovah. The Son is called Jesus Christ, the flesh, becoming Father and Son in that regard.

How do we know this to be true?

Matthew 3:17
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

JST, Matthew 3:46
46 And lo, he heard a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased. Hear ye him

Who would ever believe Christ was ever a Ventriloquist? The voice from heaven was the Father of Jehovah. Jehovah is our elder brother, of whom, went to Father and said, "send me, I will do thy will, and the glory be THINE forever."

The lectures on faith are for profit and learning:

However, they are profitable for doctrine, for learning, and for instruction. Since the lectures have not been included in the Doctrine and Covenants for several years, many members of the Church have not known of their value and hence have not studied their content nor appreciated their doctrinal importance. President Joseph Fielding Smith lamented this condition when he said: "I suppose that the rising generation knows little about the Lectures on Faith. . . . In my own judgment, these Lectures are of great value and should be studied. . . . I consider them to be of extreme value in the study of the gospel of Jesus Christ." Elder Bruce R. McConkie has appraised the lectures as "some of the best lesson material ever prepared on the Godhead; on the character, perfections, and attributes of God; on faith, miracles, and sacrifice. They can be studied with great profit by all gospel scholars." In a discourse at Brigham Young University, Elder McConkie quoted certain portions of the lectures that dealt with the Deity and praised them as follows: "In my judgment, it is the most comprehensive, intelligent, inspired utterance that now exists in the English language-that exists in one place defining, interpreting, expounding, announcing, and testifying what kind of being God is. It is written by the power of the Holy Ghost, by the spirit of inspiration. It is, in effect, eternal scripture; it is true. I will only read part of it, and even then, because of the deep content that is involved in the words, we cannot measure or fathom their full intent. We need to study and ponder and analyze the expressions that are made."

The latter from: http://www.amazon.com/Lectures-Faith-Mo ... B004NEWMJG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

minorityofone
captain of 100

Post by minorityofone »

The Holy Ghost told me at one point his name was John. I then read a lot of things Christ said about John the Baptist in a new light.
When the baby kicked in Elizabeth's womb I assume Johns spirit entered and "she was filled with the Holy Ghost". He was a bright shining light and a VOICE as one crying in the wilderness to PREPARE the way of The Lord. There are many other cool verses like that. Like others have suggested he has many names. He has been born in mortality more than once, and yes like others have said they can gain the title of "Holy Ghost" as well but there was a first. If you guys think you know one of his names quit beating around the bush and just say it. Man people are goofy. As if knowing his name is greater than knowing the name of Jesus...

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

minorityofone: For the sake of readers who expect this to be an LDS Forum as per the title, let us make clear that this is your opinion only and is not LDS Doctrine or Teaching.

FoxMammaWisdom
The Heretic

Post by FoxMammaWisdom »

Sweet&Noble wrote:minorityofone: For the sake of readers who expect this to be an LDS Forum as per the title, let us make clear that this is your opinion only and is not LDS Doctrine or Teaching.
What the scriptures and what Joseph Smith taught about the Holy Ghost, are no longer LDS doctrine or teaching.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

FFA beat me to it Jeremy. You gave two examples where the fullness was lost. Neither of your examples were even remotely valid. The verses in D&C were taken out of context and don't mean what you suggest they mean. As far as LOF, there is nothing in them that isn't already more eloquently written in other scripture. Additionally there is nothing that preculdes someone from studying them is they so wish.

Do you have any other examples where the fullness has been lost?

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

Jules wrote:
Sweet&Noble wrote:minorityofone: For the sake of readers who expect this to be an LDS Forum as per the title, let us make clear that this is your opinion only and is not LDS Doctrine or Teaching.
What the scriptures and what Joseph Smith taught about the Holy Ghost, are no longer LDS doctrine or teaching.
Please provide an example of this.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

kathyn wrote:I don't believe any mortal knows the name of the Holy Ghost. It is not necessary for us to know it, either.
Yes... we should all know the name of the Holy Ghost! It is your "new name" ... It is your name "if your embrace holiness" in you thoughts, words and deeds!

"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you,
(New Testament | 1 Corinthians 6:18 - 19)

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

SkyBird wrote:
kathyn wrote:I don't believe any mortal knows the name of the Holy Ghost. It is not necessary for us to know it, either.
Yes... we should all know the name of the Holy Ghost! It is your "new name" ... It is your name "if your embrace holiness" in you thoughts, words and deeds!

"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you,
Very sad and very false.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Jules wrote:
This is also an opinion, and thousands of faithful saints would disagree wholeheartedly. Maybe it would be better to ask it in question form instead of presenting as fact, because it is not fact that the church has differed from scripture. I already submitted a post of how the Lectures on Faith compare to scripture.

The forum rules emphatically state that promoting of doctrine contrary to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will not be allowed.

This is a PRO-LDS site, Brian's words.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:

We are not to discuss anyone's new name. Even if the HG has one, it is none of our business to know what the name is.

The verse cited has nothing to do with new names. It merely states we are bodily temples, where the HG can dwell...if we are righteous and worthy.

minorityofone
captain of 100

Post by minorityofone »

durangout wrote:FFA beat me to it Jeremy. You gave two examples where the fullness was lost. Neither of your examples were even remotely valid. The verses in D&C were taken out of context and don't mean what you suggest they mean. As far as LOF, there is nothing in them that isn't already more eloquently written in other scripture. Additionally there is nothing that preculdes someone from studying them is they so wish.

Do you have any other examples where the fullness has been lost?

Was a "fulness" of the gospel ever restored? If so why would the Book of Mormon promise "greater things" to come if we can be faithful to the things given in the Book of Mormon. In fact.... In 3 Nephi it states that one of the signs that the work of God has commenced is the bringing forth of the greater things that we haven't been given. It seems to me The Lord never planned to build up Zion through the early saints and hey tried to do it without approval.

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

MY OPINION: The new name has nothing to do with names given in mortality, but with names given in the pre-existence when we were born "Spirit Children!" It's my understanding that EVERYTHING in the Temple is an example of teachings we as searchers, should be searching for, for that which is taught there! The new name is the beginning----

Bob

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

bobhenstra wrote:MY OPINION: The new name has nothing to do with names given in mortality, but with names given in the pre-existence when we were born "Spirit Children!" It's my understanding that EVERYTHING in the Temple is an example of teachings we as searchers, should be searching for, for that which is taught there! The new name is the beginning----

Bob
I see it a little different then you Bob, but in principle we both see it the same way. You believe it is the name given you from before this creation. I AGREE 100%.

But remember, it is not in the first Booth that this name is given in but it comes in the fourth Booth in the Initiatory. It is a Birth in heaven, but not the First Estate birth/organization of the spirit, but an actual physical celestial birth of a Fourth Estate Being (where a Terrestrial Being from a Millennial world, passes on into the Celestial realm another 1000 years after the Terrestrial realm has ended. Those who then come down here after that creation, come here to help perfect the Messiah creation here. The 144,000 are just some of these beings. This is some of the Mysteries of Godliness... they are not contained in standard LDS excepted or taught doctrines.

Whereby I do not expect everyone to agree or embrace such doctrines. It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Shalom

bobhenstra
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by bobhenstra »

Koz, I just didn't want to go that far! Some get very angry when we speak of Temple teachings!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
bobhenstra wrote:MY OPINION: The new name has nothing to do with names given in mortality, but with names given in the pre-existence when we were born "Spirit Children!" It's my understanding that EVERYTHING in the Temple is an example of teachings we as searchers, should be searching for, for that which is taught there! The new name is the beginning----

Bob
I see it a little different then you Bob, but in principle we both see it the same way. You believe it is the name given you from before this creation. I AGREE 100%.

But remember, it is not in the first Booth that this name is given in but it comes in the fourth Booth in the Initiatory. It is a Birth in heaven, but not the First Estate birth/organization of the spirit, but an actual physical celestial birth of a Fourth Estate Being (where a Terrestrial Being from a Millennial world, passes on into the Celestial realm another 1000 years after the Terrestrial realm has ended. Those who then come down here after that creation, come here to help perfect the Messiah creation here. The 144,000 are just some of these beings. This is some of the Mysteries of Godliness... they are not contained in standard LDS excepted or taught doctrines.

Whereby I do not expect everyone to agree or embrace such doctrines. It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.
What does this part imply?

Shalom[/color]

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

freedomforall wrote:Whereby I do not expect everyone to agree or embrace such doctrines. It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.[/color] What does this part imply?
Brother, This is a One Room Schoolhouse, where everyone is sent down HERE to grow and be tested. Not everyone here is in the same grade. There are billions of Second Estate Beings, millions of Fourth Estate Beings, and four Third Estate Beings. Fourth Estate Beings are just older... where more is given more is expected. They are what some call old spirits or souls. They are the ones who have received Melchizedek Priesthood in the heaven by the calling of G_d's own voice, before this world and hence only need permission to use that Priesthood in this world. The Melchizedek Priesthood Covenant is made there!

Fourth Estate Beings are the Elect whom it is written that the Messiah shall not lose one of them that has been given to him. They are the Beings who have been into heaven with a physical body (considered born) and received a name. When you come into a creation here, this name has been misnamed 'New Name', because in all actuality it is one's 'Old Name' or Past Name. Just as the Present Name or current name is one's Given Name. The Future Name for men is to become the Holy Anointed One and Only Begotten. Go on and obtain all Eight Names and you may enter the Celestial Kingdom, no more to go out!

So what am I saying here, 'It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear'? Go and read Matthew 13:9 through 16 and understand why the Messiah taught in parables. For some it is given to understand, and other it IS NOT GIVEN!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Whereby I do not expect everyone to agree or embrace such doctrines. It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.[/color] What does this part imply?
Brother, This is a One Room Schoolhouse, where everyone is sent down HERE to grow and be tested. Not everyone here is in the same grade. There are billions of Second Estate Beings, millions of Fourth Estate Beings, and four Third Estate Beings. Fourth Estate Beings are just older... where more is given more is expected. They are what some call old spirits or souls. They are the ones who have received Melchizedek Priesthood in the heaven by the calling of G_d's own voice, before this world and hence only need permission to use that Priesthood in this world. The Melchizedek Priesthood Covenant is made there!

Fourth Estate Beings are the Elect whom it is written that the Messiah shall not lose one of them that has been given to him. They are the Beings who have been into heaven with a physical body (considered born) and received a name. When you come into a creation here, this name has been misnamed 'New Name', because in all actuality it is one's 'Old Name' or Past Name. Just as the Present Name or current name is one's Given Name. The Future Name for men is to become the Holy Anointed One and Only Begotten. Go on and obtain all Eight Names and you may enter the Celestial Kingdom, no more to go out!

So what am I saying here, 'It is for only those who have eyes to see and ears to hear'? Go and read Matthew 13:9 through 16 and understand why the Messiah taught in parables. For some it is given to understand, and other it IS NOT GIVEN!
Is this because some people put their own twist on it so it fits their own paradigm instead of seeking to know exactly what God's message is? This is one way to lose sight of the mysteries, isn't it?

Verses 17 on describes how people refuse to learn truth, thus, God turns it against them only to make stumbling blocks before them so they will not know the truth. In contrast, people who humble themselves and knock will learn the mysteries until they know them all.

Alma 12:10
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

We can cause ourselves to stumble or we can humbly seek and learn.

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

freedomforall wrote:Is this because some people put their own twist on it so it fits their own paradigm instead of seeking to know exactly what God's message is? This is one way to lose sight of the mysteries, isn't it?

Okay so do tell... humbly seek and learn to know exactly what God's message is?
Go and read Matthew 13:9 through 16 and understand why the Messiah taught in parables. And then come and tell us what the Messiah was reportedly saying to Matthew and the Apostles. And then go and read Marks account. And then tell us who it is that is not to see and hear,nor understand or be converted, and he (the Messiah) should forgiven them!

Then we will all know if you embrace your own advice or are coming from your own paradigm instead of seeking God's message...

Shalom

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
freedomforall wrote:Is this because some people put their own twist on it so it fits their own paradigm instead of seeking to know exactly what God's message is? This is one way to lose sight of the mysteries, isn't it?

Okay so do tell... humbly seek and learn to know exactly what God's message is?
Go and read Matthew 13:9 through 16 and understand why the Messiah taught in parables. And then come and tell us what the Messiah was reportedly saying to Matthew and the Apostles. And then go and read Marks account. And then tell us who it is that is not to see and hear,nor understand or be converted, and he (the Messiah) should forgiven them!

Then we will all know if you embrace your own advice or are coming from your own paradigm instead of seeking God's message...I know because I seek to know the mind of the Lord instead of my own philosophies.

Shalom
Christ taught in parables because he knew some people in his presence were just too belligerent to learn truth in a simple fashion, or too self willed or cocky to accept truth for what it is. He just was very wise knowing what kind of people would accept truth or reject it out of pride or a rebellious disposition. He knew exactly what to say in any given circumstance. Its called the power of discernment. You know, the ability to detect evil spirits?

I already answered you concerning Matt 13: 9-16 once before but it looks like you skipped over it. But here, read Matt 13:17-35 and see for yourself why Jesus spoke in parables and then tell us what you learned.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.
18 ¶Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.
19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side.
20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and non with joy receiveth it;
21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended.
22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
24 ¶Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field:
25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way.
26 But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also.
27 So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
28 He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
31 ¶Another parable put he forth unto them, saying, The kingdom of heaven is like to a grain of mustard seed, which a man took, and sowed in his field:
32 Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof.
33 ¶Another parable spake he unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.
34 All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them:
35 That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.

joseph tam
captain of 10

Post by joseph tam »

I believe there are alot of people that know the name of the holy ghost. And if it be the Lord's will, and you study and ponder and pray. You may one day know it.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

freedomforall wrote:
SkyBird wrote:

We are not to discuss anyone's new name. Even if the HG has one, it is none of our business to know what the name is.

The verse cited has nothing to do with new names. It merely states we are bodily temples, where the HG can dwell...if we are righteous and worthy.

Actually the "new name" ... the "Holy Ghost" and every other ordinance in the church has everything to do with the word "Holy" and "Ghost." The word "Holy" in the scriptures is a adjective defining the attributes, character and perfections of godliness... it defines Christ, it defines God the Father, it describes a particular kind of "Ghost" or "Spirit," it defines the temple of brick and mortar, it defines the ordinance of baptism, it defines the sacrament of bread and water... all in terms of the attributes of godliness which defines the character of godliness and therefore defines the perfections of godliness. So the "opening post" is asking the question, "what is the name of the holy Ghost." Whenever we take upon ourselves the of Christ we are defining what it is that makes Christ the Christ, or God, God and it is the word "Holy" which establishes their attributes, character and what they are perfect in. Take away any single attributes of godliness and Christ and God the Father would cease to be a "God" in the full sense of the word. So if we take upon ourselves the name of God, we are really making a statement that we are willing to cloth ourselves in the attributes, character and perfections of godliness... which is a "Holy" experience because we are making covenants to become like them in attribute, character and perfections. After all, this (idea to be holy) is what makes God, "God." In all of scripture there is two members (persons) in the godhead that holy men have seen, there has never been three members... it is always God the Father and Jesus Christ!

"Holy" is an adjective describing the attributes, character and perfections of godliness. "Ghost" or "Spirit" is describing a "person" or "individual." When you combine the two words "Holy Ghost" or "Holy Spirit" together, you are describing any person or individual who is filled with the attributes of godliness and are manifesting a godly character.

For example:
But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God,
56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
57 Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord,
58 And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul.
59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep.
(New Testament | Acts 7:55 - 60)

This is not describing a third member of the godhead but stating a spiritual truth or fact that Stephen was full (manifesting the Holy Ghost, which in essence and in truth is the attributes and character of godliness ("Be holy for I the Lord God am holy") as he was being stoned by carnal men! So "what is the name of the holy Ghost" ... it is you... if you are manifesting holiness of character! :) This is clear in Lectures on Faith.

"Israel must be holy in character because the God of Israel was holy (Jer. 7:4–7; see also Matt. 5:48). The Law of Holiness (Lev. 17–26) shows how the attempt was made by means of ceremonial observances to secure this holiness of character. The attempt failed because the later Jews observed the letter and neglected the spirit; they attached more importance to the ceremonial than to the moral; and the result was a lapse into formalism. But in the writings of the Prophets it is clearly laid down that the value of worship in the eyes of God depends upon the personal character of the worshipper" (LDS Bible Dictionary, Holiness).

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

1 We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:27
27 As well as those who should come after, who should believe in the gifts and callings of God by the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of the Father and of the Son;

Doctrine and Covenants 130:22
22 The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s; the Son also; but the Holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us.

Explain this one:
Moses 5:9
9 And in that day the Holy Ghost fell upon Adam, which beareth record of the Father and the Son, saying: I am the Only Begotten of the Father from the beginning, henceforth and forever, that as thou hast fallen thou mayest be redeemed, and all mankind, even as many as will.

2 Nephi 31:21
21 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, this is the way; and there is none other way nor name given under heaven whereby man can be saved in the kingdom of God. And now, behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and the only and true doctrine of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, which is one God, without end. Amen.

John 17:20–22
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

3 Ne. 11:27 (27–28, 36)
27 And after this manner shall ye baptize in my name; for behold, verily I say unto you, that the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost are one; and I am in the Father, and the Father in me, and the Father and I are one.
28 And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize. And there shall be no disputations among you, as there have hitherto been; neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.

36 And thus will the Father bear record of me, and the Holy Ghost will bear record unto him of the Father and me; for the Father, and I, and the Holy Ghost are one.

Morm. 7:7
7 And he hath brought to pass the redemption of the world, whereby he that is found guiltless before him at the judgment day hath it given unto him to dwell in the presence of God in his kingdom, to sing ceaseless praises with the choirs above, unto the Father, and unto the Son, and unto the Holy Ghost, which are one God, in a state of happiness which hath no end.

When we live our lives in accordance with God's laws, becoming as he is, we become "one" with them... the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. Our spirit is not the Holy Ghost, but our spirit can become as righteous, become one with the Father, Son and Holy Ghost through Godly living. John 17:22

3 Nephi 11:28
And according as I have commanded you thus shall ye baptize. And there shall be no disputations among you, as there have hitherto been; neither shall there be disputations among you concerning the points of my doctrine, as there have hitherto been.

There we have it.

jeffreyrichardson_
captain of 50

Post by jeffreyrichardson_ »

coachmarc wrote:
D&C 88:3 Wherefore, I now send upon you another Comforter, even upon you my friends, that it may abide in your hearts, even the Holy Spirit of promise; which other Comforter is the same that I promised unto my disciples, as is recorded in the testimony of John.
"The other Comforter spoken of is a subject of great interest, and perhaps understood by few of this generation. After a person has faith in Christ, repents of his sins, and is baptized for the remission of his sins and receives the Holy Ghost, (by the laying on of hands), which is the first Comforter, then let him continue to humble himself before God, hungering and thirsting after righteousness, and living by every word of God, and the Lord will soon say unto him, Son, thou shalt be exalted. When the Lord has thoroughly proved him, and finds that the man is determined to serve Him at all hazards, then the man will find his calling and his election made sure, then it will be his privilege to receive the other Comforter, which the Lord hath promised the Saints, as is recorded in the testimony of St. John, in the 14th chapter, from the 12th to the 27th verses." (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 149-50)

The "other" Comforter is not the same as the "first" Comforter. It is the Second Comforter.

In D&C 88:3 the Lord sends them the Holy Spirit of Promise, the other Comforter, but verse 68 indicates that they will not see Jesus until they're ready " 68 Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will."

I guess I am confused. I thought the other Comforter (Second Comforter/Jesus Christ) was received when he reveals Himself to you and ministers to you. Not beforehand. Am I missing something?
Last edited by jeffreyrichardson_ on January 2nd, 2015, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

We are all "missing" many things... but in the eternal scheme what does it matter?
Our job is to complete this mortal trial the best we can.
jeffreyrichardson_ wrote:Am I missing something?