what is the name of the holy Ghost

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
minorityofone
captain of 100

Re: what is the name of the holy Ghost

Post by minorityofone »

Making any kind of statement on this website could bring the reactions you described. Like the Book of Mormon says, what some esteem to be of great worth, others set at naught and trample under their feet, yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet...

I state what I state and attempt to not be attached to any reaction from other human beings. If I allow reactions to effect me or what I do in any way, other than to respond with the truth as it has been given to me, would suggest something to be amiss within myself.

I answered why I am on this website in a prior comment on this very post. You repeating a question that I have already answered implies that you are not even seeking to understand what I am saying. If God has told you that the doctrine and covenants is all true then smash what I have said and declare the truth you have received, otherwise you must admit that you don't know if it is true, and admit that your reaction to my comment in the matter is unfounded. Why would you care if someone states something they know by the Holy Ghost, if you have not learned that particular thing one way or another by revelation? It suggests that you have set your heart upon the doctrine and covenants being all true, without actually knowing it. Or do you believe you don't need God's word on the matter? I am trying to understand why you have a problem with my statement that no one has been told by God that all of the doctrine and covenants is true.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

minorityofone wrote:Making any kind of statement on this website could bring the reactions you described. Like the Book of Mormon says, what some esteem to be of great worth, others set at naught and trample under their feet, yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet...

I state what I state and attempt to not be attached to any reaction from other human beings. If I allow reactions to effect me or what I do in any way, other than to respond with the truth as it has been given to me, would suggest something to be amiss within myself.

I answered why I am on this website in a prior comment on this very post. You repeating a question that I have already answered implies that you are not even seeking to understand what I am saying. If God has told you that the doctrine and covenants is all true then smash what I have said and declare the truth you have received, otherwise you must admit that you don't know if it is true, and admit that your reaction to my comment in the matter is unfounded. Why would you care if someone states something they know by the Holy Ghost, if you have not learned that particular thing one way or another by revelation? It suggests that you have set your heart upon the doctrine and covenants being all true, without actually knowing it. Or do you believe you don't need God's word on the matter? I am trying to understand why you have a problem with my statement that no one has been told by God that all of the doctrine and covenants is true.
Understanding and believing are two different things. But you're welcome to keep guessing as the statement above clearly proves to be the case and proves my point quite nicely.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

We take upon us the "name of Christ" when we are baptized... What does that mean to you? To each person it will mean different things and as one seeks the Christ, that "name" becomes more personal and important. As we seek the "Holy Spirit" or "Holy Ghost" we become more aware of spiritual relationships and to each person these relationships will become more personal and important. I can honestly say from my personal experiences the "Holy Ghost" or "Holy Spirit" to me has become the "attributes, character and perfections of godliness" in my life. I have experienced in my personal relationships with the "godhead" that there are "two" separate and distinct individuals, the Father and the Son, Jesus Christ... I have seen them! I have heard them! I have never seen the "Holy Ghost" as a separate person or individual... the words "Holy Ghost" or "Holy Spirit" have always been seen and felt in the divine and "holy" nature and the "oneness" of God and man, as man becomes "one" with God. I have asked and prayed earnestly about the true nature of the "Holy Spirit" or "Holy Ghost" and the answer that always comes back to me is that it is simply a manifestation of the true nature of godliness, made manifest in all our lives when we choose to perfect the "fruits of the Spirit," which is what changes our behavior from carnal to divine. So "what is the name of the holy Ghost? It is your name, if you choose to manifest its fruits in your thoughts, words and deeds!

Geoff
captain of 10

Post by Geoff »

Are we seeking, asking, and knocking for what things are true by the power of the Holy Ghost? Or are we just assuming and extrapolating truth from some of our limited personal revelation experiences and other structures and dependencies, like a house of cards? For example: the Book of Mormon is true, therefore Joseph Smith was a prophet (and everything he taught was the Lord's truth), therefore the church he organized - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - is the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, therefore all of its presiding Apostles from past to present are all bona fide prophets, seers, and revelators, therefore all of its teachings and publications are the Lord's truth, therefore etc... When the truth is each of these things are actually separate questions, requiring separate revelations. For instance: how do you know polygamy was of the Lord? Are you familiar with its history? Let's just say it's messy. The revelation supporting its practice, D&C 132, was not published until 1852:
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... t?lang=eng
The revelation was not made public until Elder Orson Pratt, under the direction of President Brigham Young, announced it at a Church conference on 29 August 1852. The revelation was placed in the Doctrine and Covenants in 1876.
Yikes, 8 years post-Joseph's death? So how do YOU know polygamy was true? Or how about the succession crisis, after Joseph's and Hyrum's deaths? How do you know that Brigham Young and the Twelve were the Lord's choice? Is it by assumption, reasoning, and extrapolation? Or by personally confirmed revelation? How do you know Brigham Young was a true prophet? By succession success? Many of his teachings have been discredited by more current leaders: Adam-God, race and priesthood, blood atonement. None of these issues are simple, they're all messy, but they did exist, they did happen. Was JS or BY or any of their successors infallible, error-free in their views and even public teachings given in the name of the Lord? Demonstrably, provably not. So if they were wrong about some things. How do you know which things? How do you know what is being taught today will not be trumped or overturned tomorrow? I could point to many teachings of these same men where they basically say not to take their word for truth UNTIL those words have been verified by the Holy Ghost - because those are the only words that are true and will stand the test of time. So I'll quote it again because it is true:
D&C 68:2-5
2 And, behold, and lo, this is an ensample unto all those who were ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth--
3 And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.
4 And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.
5 Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
Incidentally, an analysis of the Joseph Smith Papers originally recorded revelations and the published revelations, as well as the various versions of the D&C over time, show many significant edits and additions - are they true (the Lord's will and words)?

What does it mean if the Lord manifests the truth of something to us by the power of the Holy Ghost? Does it mean it is 100% correct and accurate? What is the correct definition and meaning of "truth" here?

I'll use a personal example: I know the Book of Mormon is true by the power of the Holy Ghost. How? After finishing it for the first time, I prayed gratefully, sincerely, intently, and humbly, asking the Lord if it was true. His answer was by FIRE and the HOLY GHOST and His voice declaring these words, "IT IS TRUE!" - I capitalize, not because the voice was loud, but because it was POWERFUL - it pierced me to the very soul, in an eternal and unforgettable way - to me it seemed audible. So I know for myself, independent of any other person, between the Lord and me alone, that the Book of Mormon "is true."

However, having read the whole book, I'm aware that it probably contains mistakes and errors. Are they serious? Well, I don't know but some of them could be significant enough, particularly some of the edits that were made later. There's some questionable punctuation and edits. I read the 1981 version which contained all of these. What did the Lord mean when He said it was true in answer to my question? I believe He meant, that it would lead me to salvation by believing and following its teachings; that the doctrine of Christ, its principal teaching, is true; in essence, what JS said about it, it is "the most correct book" and "that a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book" - I've verified this in my life. Also, that it is real and genuine, what it claims to be with its supernatural origins and all. Is every idea expressed in it the complete, full truth of that topic? I don't believe so. But it certainly contains the instructions for me to find out the truth of anything on my own. I also believe it means by accepting and believing and practicing what is in it, it will not lead me astray, away from the Lord, but closer to Him. Bottom line: I'm pretty sure by "true" the Lord did not mean "perfect" (is there such a thing in this fallen world?).

Any I'll stop my rant here. But the bottom line is we shouldn't be assuming and extrapolating truth. We should be asking and receiving by the power of the Holy Ghost (btw, this includes angels, who speak by the same power). If we're not, then all is vain and faith has ceased. Well, let's not let it cease! Seek, Ask, Knock! He promised we would find, receive, and have it (the heavens) opened unto us - it's true! Don't be satisfied with someone else's words, someone else's revelations and experiences - you're a child of God, with the seed of divinity, and can approach Him on the same grounds. We need to awaken from this deep sleep and spiritual laziness.

Just my 5 cents. Take it or leave it. Accept only truth as confirmed by the power of the Holy Ghost.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

joseph tam wrote:I was just wondering does any one know the name of the holy Ghost.
Adam.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Gideon wrote:The fullness of the gospel has not been lost, neither has the fullness of the priesthood (I know that because I have seen it in action, more than once.)
I'm curious. Have you partaken of the ordinances called for in Doctrine and Covenants section 88 where the priesthood brethren enter into the oath and covenant of friendship and brotherhood and who have their feet washed?

Geoff
captain of 10

Post by Geoff »

Regarding Adam. We should consider ourselves as Adam and Eve.

jwharton
captain of 1,000

Post by jwharton »

Geoff wrote:Regarding Adam. We should consider ourselves as Adam and Eve.
Yep, we most certainly should since we literally are, collectively speaking.

Also, it would be more accurate or precise for me to have answered Michael-Adam.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

Geoff wrote:Are we seeking, asking, and knocking for what things are true by the power of the Holy Ghost? Or are we just assuming and extrapolating truth from some of our limited personal revelation experiences and other structures and dependencies, like a house of cards? For example: the Book of Mormon is true, therefore Joseph Smith was a prophet (and everything he taught was the Lord's truth), therefore the church he organized - Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - is the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth, therefore all of its presiding Apostles from past to present are all bona fide prophets, seers, and revelators, therefore all of its teachings and publications are the Lord's truth, therefore etc... When the truth is each of these things are actually separate questions, requiring separate revelations. For instance: how do you know polygamy was of the Lord? Are you familiar with its history? Let's just say it's messy. The revelation supporting its practice, D&C 132, was not published until 1852:
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... t?lang=eng
The revelation was not made public until Elder Orson Pratt, under the direction of President Brigham Young, announced it at a Church conference on 29 August 1852. The revelation was placed in the Doctrine and Covenants in 1876.
Yikes, 8 years post-Joseph's death? So how do YOU know polygamy was true? Or how about the succession crisis, after Joseph's and Hyrum's deaths? How do you know that Brigham Young and the Twelve were the Lord's choice? Is it by assumption, reasoning, and extrapolation? Or by personally confirmed revelation? How do you know Brigham Young was a true prophet? By succession success? Many of his teachings have been discredited by more current leaders: Adam-God, race and priesthood, blood atonement. None of these issues are simple, they're all messy, but they did exist, they did happen. Was JS or BY or any of their successors infallible, error-free in their views and even public teachings given in the name of the Lord? Demonstrably, provably not. So if they were wrong about some things. How do you know which things? How do you know what is being taught today will not be trumped or overturned tomorrow? I could point to many teachings of these same men where they basically say not to take their word for truth UNTIL those words have been verified by the Holy Ghost - because those are the only words that are true and will stand the test of time. So I'll quote it again because it is true:
D&C 68:2-5
2 And, behold, and lo, this is an ensample unto all those who were ordained unto this priesthood, whose mission is appointed unto them to go forth--
3 And this is the ensample unto them, that they shall speak as they are moved upon by the Holy Ghost.
4 And whatsoever they shall speak when moved upon by the Holy Ghost shall be scripture, shall be the will of the Lord, shall be the mind of the Lord, shall be the word of the Lord, shall be the voice of the Lord, and the power of God unto salvation.
5 Behold, this is the promise of the Lord unto you, O ye my servants.
Incidentally, an analysis of the Joseph Smith Papers originally recorded revelations and the published revelations, as well as the various versions of the D&C over time, show many significant edits and additions - are they true (the Lord's will and words)?

What does it mean if the Lord manifests the truth of something to us by the power of the Holy Ghost? Does it mean it is 100% correct and accurate? What is the correct definition and meaning of "truth" here?

I'll use a personal example: I know the Book of Mormon is true by the power of the Holy Ghost. How? After finishing it for the first time, I prayed gratefully, sincerely, intently, and humbly, asking the Lord if it was true. His answer was by FIRE and the HOLY GHOST and His voice declaring these words, "IT IS TRUE!" - I capitalize, not because the voice was loud, but because it was POWERFUL - it pierced me to the very soul, in an eternal and unforgettable way - to me it seemed audible. So I know for myself, independent of any other person, between the Lord and me alone, that the Book of Mormon "is true."

However, having read the whole book, I'm aware that it probably contains mistakes and errors. Are they serious? Well, I don't know but some of them could be significant enough, particularly some of the edits that were made later. There's some questionable punctuation and edits. I read the 1981 version which contained all of these. What did the Lord mean when He said it was true in answer to my question? I believe He meant, that it would lead me to salvation by believing and following its teachings; that the doctrine of Christ, its principal teaching, is true; in essence, what JS said about it, it is "the most correct book" and "that a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book" - I've verified this in my life. Also, that it is real and genuine, what it claims to be with its supernatural origins and all. Is every idea expressed in it the complete, full truth of that topic? I don't believe so. But it certainly contains the instructions for me to find out the truth of anything on my own. I also believe it means by accepting and believing and practicing what is in it, it will not lead me astray, away from the Lord, but closer to Him. Bottom line: I'm pretty sure by "true" the Lord did not mean "perfect" (is there such a thing in this fallen world?).

Any I'll stop my rant here. But the bottom line is we shouldn't be assuming and extrapolating truth. We should be asking and receiving by the power of the Holy Ghost (btw, this includes angels, who speak by the same power). If we're not, then all is vain and faith has ceased. Well, let's not let it cease! Seek, Ask, Knock! He promised we would find, receive, and have it (the heavens) opened unto us - it's true! Don't be satisfied with someone else's words, someone else's revelations and experiences - you're a child of God, with the seed of divinity, and can approach Him on the same grounds. We need to awaken from this deep sleep and spiritual laziness.

Just my 5 cents. Take it or leave it. Accept only truth as confirmed by the power of the Holy Ghost.

I like your 5 cents worth... Another point of interest is that "truth" is all relative to where we are in our thinking and beliefs! When that day comes when we are all in a "glory" of some sort (D&C 76) the "truth" will be relative to where we are in a kingdom of glory. The "Holy Ghost/Spirit will be present in all the "glories" ... so it boils down to what "degree" of the Holy Ghost/Spirit do we want to harmonize with?
The Church claims to be teaching the "celestial" order and I would say the "potential" is there for celestial understanding but its words and deeds are very "telestial" and "terrestrial" in my opinion... I don't see anyone being caught up into the City of Enoch...or walking around healing the sick and afflicted as Christ did. I think these kinds of miracles are present in all cultures and religions. I see the gifts of the spirit manifest everywhere, amongst all peoples and cultures from time to time. The Holy Ghost/Spirit is manifest "in us" when we desire to show love one to another, that is because love is an attribute of godliness we all have access to regardless of race or religion. So when it comes to actually "becoming" like "God" all have access to these qualities...they are innate to us all and that is what defines "God" in the full sense of the word and why He is "in and through all things" via the degrees of the Holy Ghost/Spirit... or to be more exact the attributes of holiness!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:The Church claims to be teaching the "celestial" order and I would say the "potential" is there for celestial understanding but its words and deeds are very "telestial" and "terrestrial" in my opinion
I'm glad it is only an opinion.
In 2 Kings 5 Naaman was told that if he'd go to the river Jordan and wash himself seven times his flesh would return and he would be made clean. But he became enraged and stormed off. It wasn't until after his servants spoke to him that he went down in the water seven times...and his flesh returned and he was made clean.

My point here is that the church has all the necessary means for us to go to the Celestial kingdom...it is us that has to do the work necessary to get there. It ain't gonna be handed to us, we have to learn and grow in the light of Godliness until we can stand on our own.
It is up to each and every church member to study the word of God until it becomes a part of us. If the church is expected to force feed us then we really don't want it in the first place. If we want the Telestial we can have it. If we want the Terrestrial, we can have it. If we want the Celestial we can have that too. But it is us that has to adjust our lives and person in order to dwell there. None of us are going to be put where we cannot stand it, where we're totally uneasy.

Alma 41:11-13
11 And now, my son, all men that are in a state of nature, or I would say, in a carnal state, are in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; they are without God in the world, and they have gone contrary to the nature of God; therefore, they are in a state contrary to the nature of happiness.
12 And now behold, is the meaning of the word restoration to take a thing of a natural state and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature?
13 O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful.

A wicked person would not be able to withstand the presence of God. This would include unrepentant sinners that didn't take the time to become clean, pure and spotless through the blood of the Lamb.
SkyBird wrote:I don't see anyone being caught up into the City of Enoch...or walking around healing the sick and afflicted as Christ did.
Believe that there are miracles happening almost every day among the members of the LDS church. Priesthood holders are not supposed to go around soliciting blessings. Generally, they are to be asked, but many times in emergencies they have used priesthood power in helping others. There are many, many accounts of these kinds of things. I know for a fact that animals can benefit from priesthood blessings as well. Didn't someone mention Lectures on Faith and that it is faith that is the moving action in all things?

Read this:

The Gospel and Animals 1972 Ensign

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

freedomforall wrote:
SkyBird wrote:The Church claims to be teaching the "celestial" order and I would say the "potential" is there for celestial understanding but its words and deeds are very "telestial" and "terrestrial" in my opinion
I'm glad it is only an opinion.
In 2 Kings 5 Naaman was told that if he'd go to the river Jordan and wash himself seven times his flesh would return and he would be made clean. But he became enraged and stormed off. It wasn't until after his servants spoke to him that he went down in the water seven times...and his flesh returned and he was made clean.

My point here is that the church has all the necessary means for us to go to the Celestial kingdom...it is us that has to do the work necessary to get there. It ain't gonna be handed to us, we have to learn and grow in the light of Godliness until we can stand on our own.
It is up to each and every church member to study the word of God until it becomes a part of us. If the church is expected to force feed us then we really don't want it in the first place. If we want the Telestial we can have it. If we want the Terrestrial, we can have it. If we want the Celestial we can have that too. But it is us that has to adjust our lives and person in order to dwell there. None of us are going to be put where we cannot stand it, where we're totally uneasy.

Alma 41:11-13
11 And now, my son, all men that are in a state of nature, or I would say, in a carnal state, are in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; they are without God in the world, and they have gone contrary to the nature of God; therefore, they are in a state contrary to the nature of happiness.
12 And now behold, is the meaning of the word restoration to take a thing of a natural state and place it in an unnatural state, or to place it in a state opposite to its nature?
13 O, my son, this is not the case; but the meaning of the word restoration is to bring back again evil for evil, or carnal for carnal, or devilish for devilish—good for that which is good; righteous for that which is righteous; just for that which is just; merciful for that which is merciful.

A wicked person would not be able to withstand the presence of God. This would include unrepentant sinners that didn't take the time to become clean, pure and spotless through the blood of the Lamb.
SkyBird wrote:I don't see anyone being caught up into the City of Enoch...or walking around healing the sick and afflicted as Christ did.
Believe that there are miracles happening almost every day among the members of the LDS church. Priesthood holders are not supposed to go around soliciting blessings. Generally, they are to be asked, but many times in emergencies they have used priesthood power in helping others. There are many, many accounts of these kinds of things. I know for a fact that animals can benefit from priesthood blessings as well. Didn't someone mention Lectures on Faith and that it is faith that is the moving action in all things?

Read this:

The Gospel and Animals 1972 Ensign
I agree with what you have to say ... my point in the statements I made are to take the time to "see" the "god" in every soul regardless of who they are. The Church and its ordinances and ceremonies are here to "manifest" to us the true nature of godliness. And so it is with all religions. Miracles are performed every day in various places throughout the world from all cultures and peoples. Hence the name of the Holy Ghost would suggest to the mind and heart of an individual that the verb or adjective for the word "Holy" should point our minds to act in a certain way... "how do I manifest that word in my life?" It always gives me pause to repent and forgive ... "Holy" is in all the little acts of kindness and love we manifest. Hence the article you shared on the gospel and animals in our lives... it is so appropriate to the word "Holy" acts of kindness our "Ghost," (meaning our "Spirit") should be involved in daily.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:I agree with what you have to say ... my point in the statements I made are to take the time to "see" the "god" in every soul regardless of who they are. The Church and its ordinances and ceremonies are here to "manifest" to us the true nature of godliness. And so it is with all religions. Miracles are performed every day in various places throughout the world from all cultures and peoples. Hence the name of the Holy Ghost would suggest to the mind and heart of an individual that the verb or adjective for the word "Holy" should point our minds to act in a certain way... "how do I manifest that word in my life?" It always gives me pause to repent and forgive ... "Holy" is in all the little acts of kindness and love we manifest. Hence the article you shared on the gospel and animals in our lives... it is so appropriate to the word "Holy" acts of kindness our "Ghost," (meaning our "Spirit") should be involved in daily.
I agree that our spirit can be called a ghost because of accounts in scripture where it is said that a person gave up the ghost (died). One real good account is the Savior, himself:

Matt 27:50
50 ¶Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

However, without the Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead, or Jesus Christ and the atonement we cannot become sanctified or justified. We do not have the power to save ourselves. It is through being born again, the carnal side of us being ripped away and our spirit/ghost being permeated with God's power, light and goodness. It is Christ that makes us holy without spot, Moroni 10:32,33. It is the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit of Promise that seals upon the pure in heart their calling and election. We cannot seal upon ourselves our calling and election. Only the names of those whose name was entered into the Lamb's Book of Life will be exalted, being ratified by the Holy Ghost/Spirit of Promise.
SEE: https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marr ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said this:
“Even if a person progresses to that state of near-perfection in which his calling and election is made sure, in which he is ‘sealed up unto eternal life’ (D. & C. 131:5; 132:18–26), in which he receives ‘the promise … of eternal life’ (D. & C. 88:3–4), in which he is ‘sealed up unto the day of redemption’ (D. & C. 124:124; Eph. 1:13)—yet with it all, these great promises are secured only if the ‘performances’ are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise” (Mormon Doctrine, 361–62).

Acts 2:33
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Holy Spirit of Promise
The Holy Ghost is the Holy Spirit of Promise (Acts 2:33). He confirms as acceptable to God the righteous acts, ordinances, and covenants of men. The Holy Spirit of Promise witnesses to the Father that the saving ordinances have been performed properly and that the covenants associated with them have been kept.

They who are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise receive all that the Father has:D&C 76:51–60; ( Eph. 1:13–14; )
All covenants and performances must be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise to have force after this life:D&C 132:7, 18–19, 26;

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

freedomforall wrote:
SkyBird wrote:I agree with what you have to say ... my point in the statements I made are to take the time to "see" the "god" in every soul regardless of who they are. The Church and its ordinances and ceremonies are here to "manifest" to us the true nature of godliness. And so it is with all religions. Miracles are performed every day in various places throughout the world from all cultures and peoples. Hence the name of the Holy Ghost would suggest to the mind and heart of an individual that the verb or adjective for the word "Holy" should point our minds to act in a certain way... "how do I manifest that word in my life?" It always gives me pause to repent and forgive ... "Holy" is in all the little acts of kindness and love we manifest. Hence the article you shared on the gospel and animals in our lives... it is so appropriate to the word "Holy" acts of kindness our "Ghost," (meaning our "Spirit") should be involved in daily.
I agree that our spirit can be called a ghost because of accounts in scripture where it is said that a person gave up the ghost (died). One real good account is the Savior, himself:

Matt 27:50
50 ¶Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

However, without the Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead, or Jesus Christ and the atonement we cannot become sanctified or justified. We do not have the power to save ourselves. It is through being born again, the carnal side of us being ripped away and our spirit/ghost being permeated with God's power, light and goodness. It is Christ that makes us holy without spot, Moroni 10:32,33. It is the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit of Promise that seals upon the pure in heart their calling and election. We cannot seal upon ourselves our calling and election. Only the names of those whose name was entered into the Lamb's Book of Life will be exalted, being ratified by the Holy Ghost/Spirit of Promise.
SEE: https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marr ... e?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elder Bruce R. McConkie said this:
“Even if a person progresses to that state of near-perfection in which his calling and election is made sure, in which he is ‘sealed up unto eternal life’ (D. & C. 131:5; 132:18–26), in which he receives ‘the promise … of eternal life’ (D. & C. 88:3–4), in which he is ‘sealed up unto the day of redemption’ (D. & C. 124:124; Eph. 1:13)—yet with it all, these great promises are secured only if the ‘performances’ are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise” (Mormon Doctrine, 361–62).

Acts 2:33
33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now see and hear.

Holy Spirit of Promise
The Holy Ghost is the Holy Spirit of Promise (Acts 2:33). He confirms as acceptable to God the righteous acts, ordinances, and covenants of men. The Holy Spirit of Promise witnesses to the Father that the saving ordinances have been performed properly and that the covenants associated with them have been kept.

They who are sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise receive all that the Father has:D&C 76:51–60; ( Eph. 1:13–14; )
All covenants and performances must be sealed by the Holy Spirit of Promise to have force after this life:D&C 132:7, 18–19, 26;
With all due respect I agree with your analysis and interpretation of the scriptures quoted... The only suggestion I have for all those, including myself... is that there are "other interpretations" ... "multiple interpretations" of everything you have stated on levels we are not even cognitive of right now. I say this because I have seen visions of the glories where "Father" resides in Celestial thought that transcends every word the scriptures express. All our "beliefs" are based on what we individually perceive is our foundation of the "truth." FYI... what is really "Celestial" (How a person comes to be one) would shake the "core" of all organized religions... especially Mormonism. But that is the "test" isn't it. I was born a "Mormon" and will die a "Mormon" but that does not define who I am... It merely states what "tribe" I have chosen to be a part of here in the flesh. All things (powers and principalities) on this earth (matter itself) does and will testify of the "truth" according to how we each individually have chosen to belief it. Are there individuals on this earth who understand "Celestial" dimensions/beliefs that transcend what has been revealed to me... the Prophet Joseph Smith was one of those and I am sure there are others. (The three Nephites and John the beloved) who are still here on earth in some type of "translated" body have knowledge of "Celestial thought" that transcends what we quibble over here in our present state of mind. Our own "beliefs" will condemn us and our own "beliefs" can exalt us... it all depends on how "deep" we want to go down the rabbit hole to explore the many dimensions of the Holy Ghost... our own Holy Ghost is our "potential" to becoming like our Father in Heaven... it becomes our own personal innate sealing of the Holy Spirit of Promise... it becomes our true connection with Christ in "atonement"... it becomes our connection to being co-equal and co-eternal with Father and Christ and all others who are of the "same mind." Oh... there is so much to learn and understand!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:there are "other interpretations" ... "multiple interpretations" of everything you have stated on levels we are not even cognitive of right now. I say this because I have seen visions of the glories where "Father" resides in Celestial thought that transcends every word the scriptures express. All our "beliefs" are based on what we individually perceive is our foundation of the "truth." FYI... what is really "Celestial" (How a person comes to be one) would shake the "core" of all organized religions... especially Mormonism.
First off, the true meaning of scripture is of no private interpretation.

2 Peter 1:20
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Therefore, if there are a multiple amount of interpretations to any one scripture...this defies all logic and especially 2 Peter 1:20 If twenty people pray to get the meaning of exaltation, are they all going to get a different answer? If so this would cause nothing but doubt, chaos and disputations. God would not give a different answer to a multiple amount of people knowing this. And it would cause people to conclude that God doesn't know the answer or at best has one in the first place.

1 Nephi 10:19
19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

God doesn't change, nor does his word so the idea of different interpretations doesn't fly. As a matter of fact, upon our own righteousness and steadfastness we can come to know all the mysteries of God until we know them in full.

Alma 12:10
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

So how can people come to know the mysteries of God by each person getting a different version? God's word is always the same, it is us that has to be in tune with the Holy Ghost so we can get the correct answer.

Then when a multitude of people come to know God's word, all alike, they become "one" with the Father and the Son. They think alike, act alike and understand alike. A multitude of interpretations could not accomplish this.

Doctrine and Covenants 35:2
2 I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who was crucified for the sins of the world, even as many as will believe on my name, that they may become the sons of God, even one in me as I am one in the Father, as the Father is one in me, that we may be one.

minorityofone
captain of 100

Post by minorityofone »

Skybird,

You and joseph smith seem to know and grasp about the same amount as I see it. Onward and upward my friend! The Holy Ghost has told me once that the Holy Ghost is anyone that is acting as a vessel to a lower being. Angels speak by this power only to beings that are lower in order. You can be a Holy Ghost only to those below you in frequency and understanding. But to one with greater light and a higher vibration you cannot act as a Holy Ghost.
Zechariah 4 illustrates this through beautiful imagery. The same holds true with the Holy Spirit on the female side. All of us can become holy ghosts but not to sanctify ourselves, as someone stated we cannot give grace to ourselves and or make ourselves holy. If the Holy Ghost operates in the way Jesus and the Book of Mormon taught, it is not our own spirit, it is a spirit that is higher in order than our own. Just some thoughts:)

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

freedomforall,

The only reason there are "degrees of glory" is because there are "multiple interpretations" of scriptures and beliefs of which path is the right one... and to everyone who receives a "glory" will think the one they are in is the "right one" ... where "God" dwells... and symbolically He is in and through all things. The "concept" of God being the same yesterday, today and forever has to do with His divine attributes, character and His/Her continued act of being perfect in them. This was taught by Joseph Smith in "Lectures on Faith" and was and still is called the "Doctrine" of our Church. Every prophet of every dispensation has taught this same principle and concept. The whole "restoration" is about this concept... every ordinance, ceremony, and priesthood ordination is symbolic of this concept. The "sealing" of the Holy Spirit of Promise is symbolic of this concept. JS taught it was the 1st principle (concept) of the gospel to know for a certainty the true character, attributes and perfections of God... everything else is just appendages to this foundational truth which makes us all co-equal and co-eternal with the Gods. What creates the "degrees of glory" is "multiple interpretation" of God and His words found in scripture. Do you know why this is so? Because most people place the "letter of the law" as being more important than the "character of godliness." I would suggest pondering the word "Holiness" found in our LDS Bible Dictionary... I will quote it here for our enlightenment:

"According to the Old Testament, things or places were holy that were set apart for a sacred purpose; the opposite of holy is therefore common or profane (1 Sam. 21:5; Ezek. 22:26; 42:20; 44:23; 48:13–15). Similarly a holy person meant one who held a sacred office. The Israelites were a holy people because they stood in a special relationship to Jehovah. Under the guidance of the Prophets it was seen that what distinguished Jehovah from the gods of the heathen was His personal character. The word holy therefore came to refer to moral character (Lev. 11:44; 19:2; 21:8; Isa. 6:3–8). Israel must be holy in character because the God of Israel was holy (Jer. 7:4–7; see also Matt. 5:48). The Law of Holiness (Lev. 17–26) shows how the attempt was made by means of ceremonial observances to secure this holiness of character. The attempt failed because the later Jews observed the letter and neglected the spirit; they attached more importance to the ceremonial than to the moral; and the result was a lapse into formalism. But in the writings of the Prophets it is clearly laid down that the value of worship in the eyes of God depends upon the personal character of the worshipper."

Notice "the later Jews observed the letter and neglected the spirit; they attached more importance to the ceremonial than to the moral; and the result was a laps into formalism." Is modern Israel any different? Doesn't history repeat itself? These are just questions we each need to answer about ourselves in relationship to what is really important. "In the writings of the Prophets it is clearly laid down that the value of worship in the eyes of God depends upon the personal character of the worshipper." Need I say more?

You can tell me the many ways your are separated from God and His grace and I will tell you how many ways we are connected to God and His grace. As I see and understand it, the "Holy Ghost" is a metaphor or an invitation for us to become a member of the godhead. It is a beautiful way of expressing the "potential" we each have to "become one" with Father and Christ.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:freedomforall,

The only reason there are "degrees of glory" is because there are "multiple interpretations" of scriptures and beliefs of which path is the right one... and to everyone who receives a "glory" will think the one they are in is the "right one" ... where "God" dwells... and symbolically He is in and through all things. The "concept" of God being the same yesterday, today and forever has to do with His divine attributes, character and His/Her continued act of being perfect in them. This was taught by Joseph Smith in "Lectures on Faith" and was and still is called the "Doctrine" of our Church. Every prophet of every dispensation has taught this same principle and concept. The whole "restoration" is about this concept... every ordinance, ceremony, and priesthood ordination is symbolic of this concept. The "sealing" of the Holy Spirit of Promise is symbolic of this concept. JS taught it was the 1st principle (concept) of the gospel to know for a certainty the true character, attributes and perfections of God... everything else is just appendages to this foundational truth which makes us all co-equal and co-eternal with the Gods. What creates the "degrees of glory" is "multiple interpretation" of God and His words found in scripture. Do you know why this is so? Because most people place the "letter of the law" as being more important than the "character of godliness." I would suggest pondering the word "Holiness" found in our LDS Bible Dictionary... I will quote it here for our enlightenment:

"According to the Old Testament, things or places were holy that were set apart for a sacred purpose; the opposite of holy is therefore common or profane (1 Sam. 21:5; Ezek. 22:26; 42:20; 44:23; 48:13–15). Similarly a holy person meant one who held a sacred office. The Israelites were a holy people because they stood in a special relationship to Jehovah. Under the guidance of the Prophets it was seen that what distinguished Jehovah from the gods of the heathen was His personal character. The word holy therefore came to refer to moral character (Lev. 11:44; 19:2; 21:8; Isa. 6:3–8). Israel must be holy in character because the God of Israel was holy (Jer. 7:4–7; see also Matt. 5:48). The Law of Holiness (Lev. 17–26) shows how the attempt was made by means of ceremonial observances to secure this holiness of character. The attempt failed because the later Jews observed the letter and neglected the spirit; they attached more importance to the ceremonial than to the moral; and the result was a lapse into formalism. But in the writings of the Prophets it is clearly laid down that the value of worship in the eyes of God depends upon the personal character of the worshipper."

Notice "the later Jews observed the letter and neglected the spirit; they attached more importance to the ceremonial than to the moral; and the result was a laps into formalism." Is modern Israel any different? Doesn't history repeat itself? These are just questions we each need to answer about ourselves in relationship to what is really important. "In the writings of the Prophets it is clearly laid down that the value of worship in the eyes of God depends upon the personal character of the worshipper." Need I say more?

You can tell me the many ways your are separated from God and His grace and I will tell you how many ways we are connected to God and His grace.
If you believe in multiple interpretations then let it suffice that my understanding of Godliness, the Celestial kingdom and how and what is required of us to get there, is good enough for my own salvation. That which I have learned from scripture and born to me by the Holy Spirit is just as relevant to me as your beliefs are to you. On some of the things you believe, I profoundly disagree with. So be it. I stand by my testimony with all my soul; I also stand with the interpretations of scriptures I presented as truth. There is much scripture to back my beliefs, for my beliefs come from them. The Book of Mormon promises us that by continually seeking truth we can at some point know all the mysteries and I believe this promise. I also know that seeing Christ in this life is not a requirement for exaltation, though it is a lofty goal. If it were a requirement millions of people would have died believing in a glorious resurrection in vain. Faith, hope, charity, baptism, being born again, living righteously and carrying our own cross until the end of our lives qualifies us for eternal life. It's in the book!

Here is one example of my point:

Alma 24:22
22 And thus without meeting any resistance, they did slay a thousand and five of them; and we know that they are blessed, for they have gone to dwell with their God.

Alma 26:34
34 For behold, they would take up arms against their brethren; they would not suffer themselves to be slain. But behold how many of these have laid down their lives; and we know that they have gone to their God, because of their love and of their hatred to sin.

SkyBird
captain of 100

Post by SkyBird »

I salute the divinity in you! And respect your beliefs dear brother!

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

SkyBird wrote:I salute the divinity in you! And respect your beliefs dear brother!
Thank you.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
Ezra wrote:So your saying the Holy Ghost is the dead members of the church of the first born?
If you prefer to put it that way that's fine... Yes :)
Ghost's Plural as in those Beings who are Fourth Estate Beings whom are in the Spirit. There are five Archangels (Senior's/Third World or Creation), Noah, Moses, Elijah, Joseph Smith and Raphael. Then their is 144,000 Junior's or Second World or Creation Sons. And then their is Millions of Baby's or First World or Creation Sons.

Sweet&Noble wrote:As for Sweet&Noble who asked:
As this is not LDS Doctrine, what is the religion / denomination you follow Kingdom of Zion?
It has more then half of its foundation from Mormonism, but you are 100% right, it is not LDS doctrine.
I could show you where Joseph Smith came close to proclaiming openly that he was the one who stands in this creation in that Office (the Holy Ghost), but he said if he did that there were men seated behind him on the stand that would seek his life if he did so.

How do you think JS felt knowing that those whom were his Apostles would try to kill him for revealing truths that he knew were true and correct? Eventually it was such close associates that helped bring about his martyrdom, just as it did in the Messiah's day. Nothing new under the sun here! It will yet happen again.

Shalom
First of all I would like to offer sincere thanks to the constructive writers in this thread. I received a pearl recently that I couldn't grasp until I found this thread. As my signatute suggests this pearl of knowledge is expanding my knowledge and understanding rapidly while filling my soul with light and burning (the good kind.)

John 17 makes so much more sense now. SO much more sense. This chapter wasn't a nice prayer for his followers but a treasure trove of further light and knowledge just waiting to be unlocked.

The Gift of the Holy Ghost makes SO much more sense now.

JS's statement about the Holy Ghost being in a state of probation makes more sense.

JS's lament about being unable to tell the saints who he is and about saints dashing like pieces of the glass the moment they hear something that contradicts their traditions makes more sense.

Satan's push to convince Christianity that the trinity is some incomprehensible one-being leviathan makes even more sense.

I'm sure this will keep happening to me for some time. Just one question:

Why five archangels and not 7 for each dispensation?

Kingdom of ZION
captain of 1,000

Post by Kingdom of ZION »

alaris wrote:First of all I would like to offer sincere thanks to the constructive writers in this thread. I received a pearl recently that I couldn't grasp until I found this thread. As my signatute suggests this pearl of knowledge is expanding my knowledge and understanding rapidly while filling my soul with light and burning (the good kind.)

John 17 makes so much more sense now. SO much more sense. This chapter wasn't a nice prayer for his followers but a treasure trove of further light and knowledge just waiting to be unlocked.

JS's statement about the Holy Ghost being in a state of probation makes more sense.

JS's lament about being unable to tell the saints who he is and about saints dashing like pieces of the glass the moment they hear something that contradicts their traditions makes more sense.

Satan's push to convince Christianity that the trinity is some incomprehensible one-being leviathan makes even more sense.

Actually their are Eight Dispensations, as the world will stand for Eight thousand years, and the Messiah did come in the Meridian or Center of time as JS declared to the world. (Adam fall 4004 BC to 27 AD and the Millennial world from 2027 AD-3027 AD, then the world is celestialized and rest from all it labors. The Seventh Estate Being, the Great Jehovah in the heavens, the Messiah's Grandfather, whom did not have to come down here in a body, is the Dispensation King of that Dispensation 3027 AD to 4027 AD.)

In the Original Garment, there were five marks of the Priesthood, as the naval mark was found on both front side panels of the Garment. Why did we use to Meet the Messiah at the Veil in the FIVE Points of fellowship? The Temple Allegory is not aloof and removed from revealing of eternal principles, patterns and knowledge. It is the people who treat sacred things as such, and discard eternal things by changing or discarding them... and with it so with their priesthood!

From this world shall come five Messiahs for the creations to come out of this creation. Once in a G_ds creations without end (as it says), one falls like the Creation before, where we only got four creations rather than five because of the fall of Lucifer. And instead of him becoming a Messiah, the world he is cast down to becomes the wickedest of all G_ds creations (that G_d's creations). We are living in just such a creation!

I stated a thread a long time ago, here called 'The Doctrine of Eternal Lives...'
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18511&hilit=Estates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may hold some answers that you are seeking

Shalom
Last edited by Kingdom of ZION on September 2nd, 2016, 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Kingdom of ZION wrote:
alaris wrote:First of all I would like to offer sincere thanks to the constructive writers in this thread. I received a pearl recently that I couldn't grasp until I found this thread. As my signatute suggests this pearl of knowledge is expanding my knowledge and understanding rapidly while filling my soul with light and burning (the good kind.)

Actually their are Eight Dispensations, as the world will stand for Eight thousand years, and the Messiah did come in the Meridian or Center of time as JS declared to the world. (Adam fall 4004 BC to 27 AD and the Millennial world from 2027 AD-3027 AD, then the world is celestialized and rest from all it labors. The Seventh Estate Being, the Great Jehovah in the heavens, the Messiah's Grandfather, whom did not have to come down here in a body, is the Dispensation King of that Dispensation 3027 AD to 4027 AD.)

In the Original Garment, there were five marks of the Priesthood, as the naval mark was found on both frond side panels of the Garment. Why did we use to Meet the Messiah at the Veil in the FIVE Points of fellowship? The Temple Allegory is not aloof and removed from revealing of eternal principles, patterns and knowledge. It is the people who treat sacred things as such, and discard eternal things by changing or discarding them... and with it so with their priesthood!

From this world shall come five Messiahs for the creations to come out of this creation. Once in a G_ds creations without end (as it says), one falls like the Creation before, where we only got four creations rather than five because of the fall of Lucifer. And instead of him becoming a Messiah, the world he is cast down to become the wickedest of all G_ds creations. We are living in just such a creation!

I stated a thread a long time ago, here called 'The Doctrine of Eternal Lives...'
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18511&hilit=Estates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It may hold some answers that you are seeking

Shalom
Thank you for your response and time. I will read through the other thread before posting my follow-up questions (should I have any - I'm sure I'll have some :) )

Alaris

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Let's get something straight from the get go...Jehovah is Jesus Christ; Jehovah/Spirit is the Father and Jesus/Flesh is the Son, being Father and Son...as taught in Mosiah 15:1-5

1 And now Abinadi said unto them: I would that ye should understand that (a)God (Big G) himself shall come down among the children of men, and shall redeem his people. See: Isa. 54:5, 1 Tim. 3:16, Mosiah 13:34 (33–34),

2 And because he (a)dwelleth in flesh he shall be called the (c)Son of God, and having subjected the flesh to the will of the (e)Father, being the Father and the Son— See: Mosiah 3:5, Mosiah 7:27, Alma 7:9 (9–13), John 19:7, Ether 3:14,

3 The Father, (a)because he was (b)conceived by the power of God; and the Son, because of the flesh; thus becoming the Father and Son— See: D&C 93:4, Mosiah 3:8 (8–9), 3 Ne. 1:14,

4 And they are (a)one God, yea, the very (b)Eternal (c)Father of heaven and of earth.
See: Deut. 6:4, Alma 11:39, Hel. 14:12, 3 Ne. 9:15, Ether 4:7

5 And thus the flesh becoming subject to the Spirit, or the Son to the Father, being one God, (a)suffereth temptation, and yieldeth not to the temptation, but suffereth himself to be mocked, and scourged, and cast out, and disowned by his people.
See: Heb. 4:15,

So we have God/Elohim and Jehovah, his firstborn Son, Firstborn Spirit...They are Father and Son
Then we have Jehovah the Creator/Father of all things, and Jesus/Son/Flesh that Jehovah dwelt in while on earth...being Father and Son, the Eternal Father/God

The Holy Ghost is, the Spirit, Holy Spirit, Spirit of God, Comforter and Holy Spirit of Promise...all inclusive.

zionminded
captain of 1,000

Post by zionminded »

ajax wrote:
joseph tam wrote:I was just wondering does any one know the name of the holy Ghost.
What's your name?

Ding ding, ding!

Bwboy
Hi, I'm new.

Post by Bwboy »

Jules wrote: December 21st, 2014, 10:09 pm The identity of the Holy Ghost is revealed in the endowment ceremony, among other places. This might help - Jeremy wrote an amazing article that helps clarify this. It's well worth the long read:

http://www.journeytothefullness.com/the ... endowment/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for sharing this. Very enlightening.