D Micheal Quinn:Pro New Spirituality & Foe of LDS Church?

For discussion of secret combinations (political, economic, spiritual, religious, etc.) (Ether 8:18-25.)
TannerG
captain of 100

Re: D Micheal Quinn:Pro New Spirituality & Foe of LDS Church

Post by TannerG »

iamse7en wrote:New, very long article in Slate about Quinn. Very interesting with some details I didn't know about. Obviously written with a liberal/skeptical bias. Still interesting nonetheless.
There he told a story about the time Packer embarrassed him in front of fellow church leaders as apparent payback for a slight from six years before. “Elder Packer,” he told Quinn, “will never get over this.
I wonder what that story was all about.

Tony
captain of 100

Re: D Micheal Quinn:Pro New Spirituality & Foe of LDS Church?

Post by Tony »

Oh my goodness! I have stumbled on to a pro-Denver Snuffer weirdo apostate subforum. At least someone was right about Quinn being an apostate fruitcake.

Bee Prepared
captain of 1,000

Post by Bee Prepared »

Tony wrote:Oh my goodness! I have stumbled on to a pro-Denver Snuffer weirdo apostate subforum. At least someone was right about Quinn being an apostate fruitcake.

Save yourself, get out of there! :))

Original_Intent
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Original_Intent »

Wow, a thread started by rosabella - that's a blast from the past!

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Post by pjbrownie »

I found that book was like reading dry Hogwarts catacombs from the mid sixteenth century. Full of facts it was like reading a dictionary, short on speculation, with only the last chapter being ask that intriguing.

a_member
captain of 100

Post by a_member »

Side note -- almost every psychoactive substance of which I'm aware is unable to create the kind of experiences Joseph Smith claimed to have. Whether you believe Joseph Smith or not, anyone familiar with the sorts of things that can happen chemically in the brain should recognize that this is the case. In order to reconstruct the Book of Mormon from the effects of psychoactive substances, you'd need something that combined the hyper-focus of meth with the reality-distortion of LSD and at least some MDMA and possibly cocaine. And that's just the stuff I can reference off the top of my head, I'd have to re-read "Plants of the Gods" to create an inclusive list.

Edit: to get a sense of what drugs do based on the experiences of the people who use them, this is a stellar resource: https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp_list.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; For fun start with caffeine...

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

a_member wrote:Side note -- almost every psychoactive substance of which I'm aware is unable to create the kind of experiences Joseph Smith claimed to have. Whether you believe Joseph Smith or not, anyone familiar with the sorts of things that can happen chemically in the brain should recognize that this is the case. In order to reconstruct the Book of Mormon from the effects of psychoactive substances, you'd need something that combined the hyper-focus of meth with the reality-distortion of LSD and at least some MDMA and possibly cocaine. And that's just the stuff I can reference off the top of my head, I'd have to re-read "Plants of the Gods" to create an inclusive list.

Edit: to get a sense of what drugs do based on the experiences of the people who use them, this is a stellar resource: https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp_list.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; For fun start with caffeine...
Let's talk about repentance and having virtue garnish our thoughts instead. For those wanting to engage in the disgusting things humans can do, just watch reality TV. Just about every disgusting thing we humans can do is on there for mind stimulation. Like nude dating, a sex box, people yelling at each other, married people discussing their sexual infidelities and divorce talk and much more.
Is Christ-like discussion and scriptural knowledge becoming too boring now? Are the books and negative things excommunicated people have to say the common and accepted stuff on the forum these days?
What are the attributes of godliness?
How are they acquired?
What do they do for us?
How do we fill the measure of our creation?
How do we come to a point where we abhor sin?
What does God mean when he says he will not allow sin in the least degree to enter his kingdom?
What does it mean to us when we hear that no unclean thing can enter into God's presence?

Simply wondering.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Ok, now Feb 2016, which I'm sure won't be the case. :) But they got a nice new page of info on the book and author, but more importantly, page count: 800 pages. Ahhhh yes. Can't wait. 400 of them bound to be footnotes, but I like those too.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

So after Quinn's third and final Mormon Hierarchy book, he has another one coming. He just signed a book contract with the University of Utah Press. "A detailed history of plural marriage among the Mormons from Sep 1890 to Dec 1907, or 1915 or 1925" - depending on how much original source material he receives/finds.

This will be a more detailed and comprehensive version of his original, famous Dialogue article on Church-authorized, post-manifesto plural marriage. This announcement/info comes from a recent talk he gave to a group at Centennial Park (hat tip to "Joel"). The talk comes highly recommended as he gives new, detailed background info on researching and writing that article.

Stoked about this new book! That Dialogue article stunned me the first time I read it. It is fascinating and required reading for any Mormon, and I was worried he would never expand on it after he said Solemn Covenant was the book he wished he had written... Great stuff coming soon...

Edit: here is text of that Centennial Park talk
Last edited by iamse7en on April 20th, 2015, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lance
captain of 100

Post by Lance »

-
Last edited by Lance on June 22nd, 2015, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

I'm interested in Madame Lydia Mountford.

Lance
captain of 100

Post by Lance »

-
Last edited by Lance on June 22nd, 2015, 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

Here is text of that talk he gave to Centennial Park (not including Q&A portion).

gruden2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by gruden2.0 »

TannerG wrote:
iamse7en wrote:New, very long article in Slate about Quinn. Very interesting with some details I didn't know about. Obviously written with a liberal/skeptical bias. Still interesting nonetheless.
There he told a story about the time Packer embarrassed him in front of fellow church leaders as apparent payback for a slight from six years before. “Elder Packer,” he told Quinn, “will never get over this.
Maybe this:

http://mormon-chronicles.blogspot.com/2 ... -from.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Apr 21, 1978
Robert Stevenson, an African-American Mormon, marries Susan Bevan, a white Mormon. They had met at Brigham Young University as students, but her Mormon family questions the viability of the relationship. Stevenson later notes that "everybody from the garbage man to the stake president had told her that marrying me would be to her eternal detriment." They seek an interview with a general authority, Boyd K. Packer. Packer calls in Marion D. Hanks. According to Stevenson, "Elder Packer squared off on one side, and Elder Hanks squared off on the other." Packer argued that Stevenson "could accomplish [his] mission in life and be more effective without being married to a white woman." Hanks said, "I think it's the best thing in the world that you marry Susan. I think that you'll be more effective and you'll be able to break down racial barriers easier." (1)

TannerG
captain of 100

Post by TannerG »

gruden2.0 wrote:
TannerG wrote:
Maybe this:

http://mormon-chronicles.blogspot.com/2 ... -from.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-- Apr 21, 1978
Robert Stevenson, an African-American Mormon, marries Susan Bevan, a white Mormon. They had met at Brigham Young University as students, but her Mormon family questions the viability of the relationship. Stevenson later notes that "everybody from the garbage man to the stake president had told her that marrying me would be to her eternal detriment." They seek an interview with a general authority, Boyd K. Packer. Packer calls in Marion D. Hanks. According to Stevenson, "Elder Packer squared off on one side, and Elder Hanks squared off on the other." Packer argued that Stevenson "could accomplish [his] mission in life and be more effective without being married to a white woman." Hanks said, "I think it's the best thing in the world that you marry Susan. I think that you'll be more effective and you'll be able to break down racial barriers easier." (1)
Interesting find. Cool site!

Gad
General of Ignoramuses

Post by Gad »

Is there any word on the 3rd Mormon Hierarchy book release date?

iamse7en
captain of 1,000

Post by iamse7en »

iamse7en wrote:Ok, now Feb 2016, which I'm sure won't be the case. :) But they got a nice new page of info on the book and author, but more importantly, page count: 800 pages. Ahhhh yes. Can't wait. 400 of them bound to be footnotes, but I like those too.
Was hoping Nov 15th would finally stick but it came and went. Now Amazon says Feb 15th 2017. Hopefully it's the last delay.