Do you speed?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.

Do you speed when driving?

100% of the time
10%
90% of the time
10%
80% of the time
19%
70% of the time
No votes
60% of the time
5%
50% of the time
14%
40% of the time
No votes
30% of the time
10%
20% of the time
10%
10% of the time
19%
0% of the time
5%

Total votes: 21
On The Fringe
captain of 50

Do you speed?

Post by On The Fringe »

I speak of driving in a vehicle. When I am driving this question comes up to me: Do Mormons speed when driving?

I am not sure why this question is so curious.

If so, why?

If not, why?

I personally speed about 30% of the time - usually because I do not want to impede the flow of traffic which is almost always faster than the speed limit where I live.

However, I know TONS of people get worked up about slow people in what has been deemed the "fast" lane so tend to avoid the "fast" lane unless I in fact am speeding.

Fun fact: If I re-call correctly, in Utah (possibly other states) you can get ticketed for not moving over when a faster car comes up behind you in the "fast" lane. Correct me if I'm wrong with that.

Anyways, have a good day everyone!

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Do you speed?

Post by JohnnyL »

When I forget the change in speed limits, or when I'm on the highway and there's the flow; even then, I have limits and try to stay in the better lanes. Yeah, if you're in the left lane, going 65mph is not cool, and I'm not even in it when I usually see it happen!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

Fox News wrote:Lt. Jeff Nigbur with the Utah Highway Patrol told FOX 13 News, "There is a state statute that requires all people in the left lane move over a lane if somebody, a faster vehicle comes up upon them."

The state law is clear, and on the Utah State Legislature website, it states, "...the operator of a vehicle traveling in the left general purpose lane shall, upon being overtaken by another vehicle in the same lane, yield to the overtaking vehicle by moving safely to the lane to the right and may not impede the movement or free flow of traffic in the left general purpose lane."

The law was passed in 2008, and the signs are clear. They are posted along the left side of the freeway and they say: "It's the Law. Slower traffic keep right."

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

BrianM wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:36 am
Fox News wrote:Lt. Jeff Nigbur with the Utah Highway Patrol told FOX 13 News, "There is a state statute that requires all people in the left lane move over a lane if somebody, a faster vehicle comes up upon them."

The state law is clear, and on the Utah State Legislature website, it states, "...the operator of a vehicle traveling in the left general purpose lane shall, upon being overtaken by another vehicle in the same lane, yield to the overtaking vehicle by moving safely to the lane to the right and may not impede the movement or free flow of traffic in the left general purpose lane."

The law was passed in 2008, and the signs are clear. They are posted along the left side of the freeway and they say: "It's the Law. Slower traffic keep right."
Wow this brings back memories of Utah drivers .. .MOVE.... OVER!!!

Onsdag
captain of 100

Post by Onsdag »

I could only vote once (10%), but in reality there are multiple answers to that question.

Generally speaking I never speed and always try to obey the posted speed limit signs. However, on occasion when I'm not paying strict attention to my speed I naturally start to match the speed of free-flowing traffic before catching myself and slowing down. Thus my 10% answer.

That being said, several months back I started working as a delivery driver for a company and I have found that when I'm on the road for them I am almost always driving up to 5mph over the speed limit. I don't know if it's just my sense of urgency to get the job done and make the delivery in a timely manner or what, but yeah, depending on the area and situation I'm in I drive just above the speed limit while on the clock for them. So probably 80% of the time in this case.

One of my pet peeves is sudden lane changes. Sometimes they don't signal, but it's when they suddenly shift 1-2 lanes to make a turn, nearly causing an accident. People, please plan ahead! If you know you need to turn left in 1/2 mile then work your way gradually over to the left lane now instead of 100 feet before the turn. If you need exit the freeway in a mile then get into the right lane now instead of as you're passing the exit. And if you miss your turn then be patient, keep driving and look for another opportunity to turn later when it's safe. I promise you it's alright. I have seen and been in more near-misses and accidents from this bad habit than perhaps any other. That and impatience in general - trying to beat the light and/or oncoming traffic.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

alaris wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:58 am

On the other hand, if the speed limit is 75mph, why would it be a law for someone going 75mph in the left lane, to yield to a vehicle going 85mph?? Notice how the police avoid answering?

Left lane should be maximum speed limit. Someone going 80mph who won't yield to someone who wants to go 95mph?--they have my full support!

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

JohnnyL wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:05 pmOn the other hand, if the speed limit is 75mph, why would it be a law for someone going 75mph in the left lane, to yield to a vehicle going 85mph?? Notice how the police avoid answering?

Left lane should be maximum speed limit. Someone going 80mph who won't yield to someone who wants to go 95mph?--they have my full support!
Both would be breaking the law... but, IMO, going too slow in the left lane is much worse than going too fast because it actually puts more people at danger.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

JohnnyL wrote: February 13th, 2018, 10:05 pm
alaris wrote: February 13th, 2018, 11:58 am

On the other hand, if the speed limit is 75mph, why would it be a law for someone going 75mph in the left lane, to yield to a vehicle going 85mph?? Notice how the police avoid answering?

You live in Utah... Don't you?

PressingForward
captain of 100

Post by PressingForward »

Speeding, another victimless crime, to finance police harassment.

LucianAMD
ex-Puppet Master

Post by LucianAMD »

I usually maintain the speed limit and up to 5 over. I always stay in the most right lane whenever there are multiple lanes on a road. What really iriitates me though is even with going 5 over the speed limit in the most right lane, people still come up on me going super fast and then act annoyed that they have to move over, with a look of "how could someone possibly not be going 15 over the speed limit!?!". To these people: I hope you all get pulled over.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

LucianAMD wrote: February 14th, 2018, 12:31 pm I usually maintain the speed limit and up to 5 over. I always stay in the most right lane whenever there are multiple lanes on a road. What really iriitates me though is even with going 5 over the speed limit in the most right lane, people still come up on me going super fast and then act annoyed that they have to move over, with a look of "how could someone possibly not be going 15 over the speed limit!?!". To these people: I hope you all get pulled over.
My habit is to stay one over from the right lane. It's too crazy over there, everyone trying to speed up to make the exit, everyone trying to merge... And many normal right lanes that suddenly turn into mandatory exits.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

LucianAMD wrote:I usually maintain the speed limit and up to 5 over. I always stay in the most right lane whenever there are multiple lanes on a road. What really iriitates me though is even with going 5 over the speed limit in the most right lane, people still come up on me going super fast and then act annoyed that they have to move over, with a look of "how could someone possibly not be going 15 over the speed limit!?!". To these people: I hope you all get pulled over.
This. That is very frustrating to me. The flow of traffic in the left most lane SHOULD be at the speed limit, or failing that, not more than 5 above the speed limit.

There have been times when I was going the speed limit in the left hand lane and people were catching up to me, so I either increased speed or got over one lane to let them pass. Their fault if they get ticketed.

On The Fringe
captain of 50

Post by On The Fringe »

Onsdag wrote: February 13th, 2018, 12:12 pm I could only vote once (10%), but in reality there are multiple answers to that question.

Generally speaking I never speed and always try to obey the posted speed limit signs. However, on occasion when I'm not paying strict attention to my speed I naturally start to match the speed of free-flowing traffic before catching myself and slowing down. Thus my 10% answer.

That being said, several months back I started working as a delivery driver for a company and I have found that when I'm on the road for them I am almost always driving up to 5mph over the speed limit. I don't know if it's just my sense of urgency to get the job done and make the delivery in a timely manner or what, but yeah, depending on the area and situation I'm in I drive just above the speed limit while on the clock for them. So probably 80% of the time in this case.

One of my pet peeves is sudden lane changes. Sometimes they don't signal, but it's when they suddenly shift 1-2 lanes to make a turn, nearly causing an accident. People, please plan ahead! If you know you need to turn left in 1/2 mile then work your way gradually over to the left lane now instead of 100 feet before the turn. If you need exit the freeway in a mile then get into the right lane now instead of as you're passing the exit. And if you miss your turn then be patient, keep driving and look for another opportunity to turn later when it's safe. I promise you it's alright. I have seen and been in more near-misses and accidents from this bad habit than perhaps any other. That and impatience in general - trying to beat the light and/or oncoming traffic.
I was driving through construction in Kansas and missed my exit. I thought the same thing, "It's fine, I'll find an opportunity later."

Later ended up being a toll road (construction cut to it so you did not know and did not pay the toll going on) and more than thirty miles out of the way with no way to turn around and no exits! More of a rare situation, but one that has happened to me! Generally I would agree with your advice there.

And it's interesting - I said I speed 30% of the time. As a kid I had a problem with speeding and once I SHOULD have received a ticket for going 50 over the limit on a freeway in my "crappy" car (my car turned out to be not as "crappy" as I thought!). It was 1 AM so I told the officer, "I had to do it. I had to know how fast my car could go."

After searching my vehicle, the officer let me go with a warning for telling the truth and because I was the only car on the freeway. My problems with it as a kid is why I try to not speed but it can be insanely difficult not to. Not impeding traffic tends to be my excuse to speed when I do...

EDIT: I generally do try to keep the speed limit though. There's a reason why speed limits are the way they are. You wouldn't think it, but lots of study has gone into speed limits. That's why most suburban neighborhoods have speed limits of 25 - that way if a kid or a basketball goes into the street you can stop in time (just one example).