Deleted

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I'm having knee surgery Friday

Post by Silver »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm I'm pretty nervous. It's a knee scope for a torn meniscus and I've never been under anesthesia before or cut open by doctors so I'm getting more nervous as Friday approaches. Anyone got any comforting words to ease my mind? I did get a priesthood blessing which seems to help but I normally suffer from depression and anxiety anyway so it just adds to the worry.
Your knee was designed by the same Gods who organized the universe. They will bless you for having the faith to ask for a priesthood blessing. That's the sermon. The advice is: follow your doctor's orders for the rehab.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

I had a total knee replacement in August the day of the eclipse, I had never been under the knife so to speak and was terrified, I was also still suffering from the death of our son in July, so I really know what your feeling.. First have peace, get a priesthood blessing as I am sure you are already planning on. Trust in that blessing, it will be well, your pain will be managed by trained professionals and give yourself time to heal. You will have less pain than a replacement and hey I survived and you will do just fine. I did pray and talk with my Father in Heaven as the spinal was being given, the anesthesiologist said who are you talking to? I said " The only one who can help me, who do you think". Just use talk therapy, or as I call it Prayer, I'll pray for you to, you'll do well.

gradles21
captain of 1,000

Post by gradles21 »

Tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus a few years back playing basketball, just be glad it's only your meniscus. You'll be back on your feet a few days after surgery, don't slack on your rehab and you'll be back to normal in no time.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

gradles21 wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 5:29 pm Tore my ACL, MCL, and meniscus a few years back playing basketball...
I did the same in a car wreck. I eventually healed up.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm I'm pretty nervous. It's a knee scope for a torn meniscus and I've never been under anesthesia before or cut open by doctors so I'm getting more nervous as Friday approaches. Anyone got any comforting words to ease my mind?
You're having one of the more minor surgeries, although anytime you're opened up it's a risk. However, this hs been done a LOT in recent times, you have excellent odds of coming out okay.

While the surgery itself is fairly straight forward, rehab can still be what is referred to as a female dog or a host of The View. Endure to the end, and be sure to follow your doctors' advice.

Back when I weighted over 700 pounds, I had gastric bypass surgery. The hospital had a weight limit of 550 pounds for surgery, the doc had to get special permission to do mine. I had to have a briefing from the hospital's legal counsel and sign a paper indicating I was fully aware that there was a 25% chance I would survive the surgery. I did so knowing there was nothing to worry about, and I was correct. As long as I keep faith and do my best to serve God I will have His protection until it is my time to leave. The same is true for you.
I did get a priesthood blessing which seems to help but I normally suffer from depression and anxiety anyway so it just adds to the worry.
This shows wisdom, and it shows faith. Ask God to see you through all the way throughout healing, and trust that He knows what's best.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 3:03 pm That's good to hear. I don't know why I'm so afraid. I have trust in Heavenly Father so I don't know why I'm nervous.
You're nervous and afraid because you are facing the unknown and because you'll be completely out of control while under anesthesia.

My daughter had surgery to repair a bucket handle tear in her meniscus about 30 days before we were taking a vacation - the first cruise of my life, a trip that I had been dreaming of for over 15 years. Needless to say, nobody was happy about the situation.

On that cruise the only way you could know about the surgery was four small scars around her knee that were healing, each less than one inch long. She had full use of her knee, no pain, and spectacularly failed to follow medical advice to take it easy.

I can't tell you to not worry and be of good cheer because I've been almost totally unable to follow that counsel in recent months. So instead I'll ask you to be an example for me. Show me the worrying was wasted energy and that everything turns out fine.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Joel »

1. Ask your doctor for a random drug test.
2. Write "WRONG KNEE" on the knee not needing surgery, do not just trust them to remember which knee to work on.
3. It's a routine knee operation that most people survive but make your last meal before the surgery your favorite meal.
4. Have a lot fun this week and take risks you normally wouldn't.

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

No worse case scenario you get to meet the other "Guy"

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 11:55 am
Older/wiser? wrote: January 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am No worse case scenario you get to meet the other "Guy"
I'm pretty at peace with my standing with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost.
I knew you were, just me being a smart mouth. I will keep you in my prayers

kgrigio
captain of 100

Post by kgrigio »

I have had 4 knee surgeries over the last 20 years and finally a total knee replacement a year ago and I am in my early 40s. The most important thing to do are your exercises and get up and walk as much as possible, as quickly as possible. The thing that causes the most problems with knee surgeries are blood clots and this comes from way to much sitting or laying the first couple of days. Read up on blood clots and the signs of clots just so you will know the signs and if you suspect you might have one, get it looked at ASAP.

A meniscus surgery is relatively minor, depending on exactly what they are doing. If they are just going in and "cleaning up", you will be back on your feet that day and within a day or two you will wonder what you were so worried about. Do what your doctor says, but push yourself.

By the way, my sister had her ninth knee surgery at 22. Being a gymnast will do that to you I guess.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Luck!

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

In the past 6 years, I have had both knees replaced and my right hip replaced...as well as surgery for a torn rotator cuff in my left shoulder. All of the above posts have mentioned the most important thing of all.....DO THE THERAPY. I have seen a few people who did NOT take the therapy serious and have had to "go under" again to have their knees manipulated because of scar tissue build up. Everything is working fine now except that I can't do a lot of the things I use to be able to do....like....getting down on my knees without having to be helped up! Working with another doctor now because of pain in my left hip! I just tell people I am going to leave this world with all new parts!

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

:)

Patriot16
captain of 100

Post by Patriot16 »

CelestialAngel wrote: January 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm I'm pretty nervous. It's a knee scope for a torn meniscus and I've never been under anesthesia before or cut open by doctors so I'm getting more nervous as Friday approaches. Anyone got any comforting words to ease my mind? I did get a priesthood blessing which seems to help but I normally suffer from depression and anxiety anyway so it just adds to the worry.
I just had cataract surgery so I sympathize with your anxiety. I wish you well during the procedure and wish you a good recovery.
Patriot16