Is Toilet Paper a survival item?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Is Toilet Paper a survival item?

Post by Mullenite »

Just thinking about it, if the goal is to survive then I don't consider TP something to stockpile... I can wipe my --- with leaves (and have done so in a pinch as well as used snow brrr).

Just thinking out loud here...

TP is a modern luxury that most of us have come to take for granted, and yes, you can store a bunch of it, but if you're really thinking long term, consider this idea:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... html?cat=5 (washable, reusable cloth toilet paper)

The writers of the article are not thinking of this in terms of preparing for a potential breakdown in the supply chain, but are doing it for financial and/or environmental reasons. There are still some relevant ideas in the article, though.

pjbrownie
captain of 1,000

Re: Is Toilet Paper a survival item?

Post by pjbrownie »

Since we have gotten our food, my wife has been itching to get a year's supply of toilet paper, as well as the feminine essentials. She's not about to do Israelite purification rituals because she doesn't have those essential feminine products. :oops:

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

DGM scoot.gif
DGM scoot.gif (123.77 KiB) Viewed 781 times

minuet1
captain of 100

Post by minuet1 »

I'll start gathering leaves when, and only when my supply of TP has run out! Until then I have it stashed everywhere - under the bathroom sink, in the linen closet, in everyone's closet, under my bed, in the garage, etc!

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

http://walkslowlylivewildly.com/cate...-toilet-paper/

This is a great website about switching your household to reusable cloth products....

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

Kicking and screaming will I start using something besides tp. On the subject, where do you get those big commercial rolls of the cheap 1 ply junk? I figure those would be good for storage because they take up less space and last a long time.

tick
captain of 100

Post by tick »

Unfortunately for me, while growing up we frequently ran out of TP. If my memory serves me correctly, the first choice was always a well crumpled page from the phone book.... Might wanna stock pile a few of those!

truthseeds
captain of 100

Post by truthseeds »

tick wrote:Unfortunately for me, while growing up we frequently ran out of TP. If my memory serves me correctly, the first choice was always a well crumpled page from the phone book.... Might wanna stock pile a few of those!
Ahhh...the good old days. I preferred the phone book over the newspaper too.

Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

My Wife; But...... I remember in my child hood when we had 'out houses' as our place to take care of business. We used good ole Sears catalogs and Montgomery Wards!!!!!!!! They did just fine......but .... in those days, we were NOT taught about personal hygiene as I learned later in my teens, but had modern plumbing then, and when younger, never wiped after urinating ..... just only for deification. The old telephone books may take more sheets, but still do-able ...... only IF 'complete' personal toilet hygiene is NOT utilized. I think maybe I will keep my out-of-date newspapers!!!!! However, I wonder about the ink???!!!!! Maybe those who have hemorrhoids will find the ink beneficial, being we in my generation used newspaper on cuts to stop the bleeding. [I wonder if I still have any with ------ face on any of the pages?] Hmmmmmm. [I know ..... shame on me!!!!]

I also am of the generation where we had 'cloth' [flannel and gauze diapers] for our darlings derrière. I even made prefolds or contours with a pocket to fill at night with the 'Birdseye' diapers which were square as were the flannels {gauzes were rectangular}. We also filled that pocket according to the need as they got older, and then double filled it for nighttime wearing. [The younger generation will know nothing of these!!]. {Poor cherubs looked like they were bowlegged and walked like a duck from the layers between their legs of these diapers!} We had to have diaper pails, and swished off the diaper in the toilet before putting in the diaper pail with a deodorized cake which went in the lid to pick up the odor of those diapers. Had to spray a LOT with Lysol to kill bacteria, ecoli, etc. from the fecal which may [usually was] still be in the diaper and touch the inside of the pail. I used liquid Lysol and Pine Sol in my diaper pail and in my wash of these diapers. We had 'diaper bags' in those day .... I am speaking of times before and during the 60s and 70s. I, personally, carried in my diaper bag a roll of T.P., a dry wash cloth, a wet one in a plastic bag, an empty plastic bag for the wet and soiled diapers, a clothes pin to grip the soiled diaper for me to swish in the toilet and prevent the soiled toilet water to wick up on my hand. In those days, we had no Latex gloves for me to add or I would have!!!!! Of course, there was the usual I.e. extra diapers, baby powder, baby oil, Desitin Diaper Rash Cream, a deodorizer spray to kill the odor in the bathroom if I am visiting someone's home [there was not always a spray available]. Personally, I was thrilled for these new mothers not to have to put up with what we did as mothers regarding cloth diapers. [ And, those diaper bags got to be pretty heavy to carry around, plus the infant in a baby seat or over the shoulder plus our purse!!!!] On top of all this, not all homes were created equal in regards to keeping their home diaper-pail-odor free. About the same as those who have cats and one can still smell the kitty tray in spite of the new litter out there to kill that 'potty' odor!!!!! I am sure you know what I am talking about!!!!!!!!! I love and have had 6 cats using the kitty tray within the home, and it IS possible to have NO odor!!! Same with diaper pail odor!!! Butttttttt ........ NOW it is suggested to MAKE cloth or even to 'use' cloth wipes [as they are calling it] instead of using T.P.???????? IF I went that route as being suggested, there would be the extra expense to purchase the material for making those wipes. Extra purchase of Lysol or Pine Sol of which, in not having diapers to launder, I do not stock. I would have to go the extra expense to keep a supply of latex gloves, a diaper pail, a supply of those deodorizer bricks .... I could go on and on. To me, I see it being costly for an initial layout to set up for this. Now ..... Different ones are suggesting family members be responsible to wash out and keep hygiene-laundering maintenance on these 'cloth wipes' ...... I'd like to know what planet they are from! It is difficult for children to keep their rooms tidy and in order let alone clean!!!!!!!! Let's get real!!!!!!!! And, husbands????? LOL!!!! It just 'ain't' gonna happen with the average bear!!!!!!!!! Then one individual states they only use the cloth wipes for wiping after urinating. Ahhhhhhh Hello!!!! Sounds like T.P. IS still used!!! I feel the ink would cause an infection for the female in usage for that function IF using telephone books and newspaper. Anyway; for me and my house, not only do we serve the Lord, we still will use and store T.P. and grateful to do so.

[Now that I got that off my chest, I feel better ..... thanks for the opportunity!]
----- Original Message -----

ldsff
captain of 1,000

Post by ldsff »