"Eighth Annual Mass Resignation Event"

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

"Eighth Annual Mass Resignation Event"

Post by sushi_chef »

"Today, November 5, 2017 is the anniversary of the infamous LDS Church policy regarding gay parents and their children. I was asked to speak at this event. Here are the words I shared.

A Lesson that Haunts Me

Einstein, a genius adult, said this: “If I were to remain silent, I’d be guilty of complicity.”

Rulon, a mentally handicapped child taught me this: “If I don’t dissent, I consent.”

In 1968, I entered my high school years. I was proud to a Layton Lancer. Like most kids, I was a bit intimidated. Nervous and super excited. Those high school years were very good years.

However, one HUGE regret has dogged me all the years since. The path of action that I’ve chosen, has been molded by a long lingering shame from that one incident.

After 50 years, it still brings tears to my eyes.

It occurred during my 9th grade gym class....
"
https://invisiblescubit.wordpress.com/2 ... ion-event/
:arrow:

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: "Eighth Annual Mass Resignation Event"

Post by kittycat51 »

I DISSENT to this article period.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

The author of this article is wrong. He makes assumptions which his is not justified in making.
I have served as a bishop for nearly 7 years now and have never, ever, asked a youth whether they masturbate. Not once.
I have asked open questions which give them the opportunity to speak to me about any struggles they are facing, but I would never ask such a direct and confrontational question.
I know I can't speak for all the bishops in the church, but of the ones I do know I'm more than sure they approach things in a similar way.
We're not monsters!

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

I wish everyone in the church would express their disapproval through a vote of Common Consent.
So does this guy actually believe most people in the church agree with him and actually disapprove of the policy? Overall, I am undecided if my reaction to the article is an eye-roll or a meh.

sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

Post by sushi_chef »

sushi_ picked from nj sans twitter....

https://twitter.com/njwindow

said one of his nibley classmates was avraham glieade.

:arrow:

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I had a frank and wonderful discussion with my bishop about this year's ago. Ultimately what it comes down to is I don't want my daughters (or sons, but mostly daughters) talking to a man who isn't their doctor about their bodies. He gave me some wonderful counsel for myself and my children and I am very much at peace with the issue now.
Unfortunately this all seems from my having very uncomfortable experiences with far too nosy bishops/sp. So it does happen.
But it is all related to a growing problem of parents relegating their authority to others in the church. No bishop wants to hear about teen sexuality. They just want to help them come unto Christ. Parents need to be having honest conversations about masturbation, sexuality, and even same sex attraction with their kids. Please, let's not leave that to the lay clergy.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

The Lord has promised us that if we keep our eye on him and his prophets seers and revelators that they will not lead the church astray. The same man who said that also promised that if we stay in Zion we can be protected by standing in holy places. We're also told by the Lord in the scriptures that he won't let Zion be destroyed.

But if we follow others more than them or let ourselves be distracted we can wake up one day and realized we missed the boat.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

I wonder if the author of that article realized how insulting he was being in his attempt to engage in emotional reasoning - trying to make readers feel sorry for homosexual bullies. He compared people with homosexual preferences to a “retarded” boy he knew. True that the APA never had any scientific research to change the diagnosis of homosexuality- but most people resigning for that anniversary probably wouldn’t like homosexuality being considered a mental disorder.

Reminds me how illogical that herd mentality mass resignation was. As if they care about the kids - of course they don’t! If it was really about the kids - they would have thrown their fits years ago when children from polygamy parents were initially denied baptism into the lds church.

That group-thought blindly following was ridiculous also because it’s ironically claiming victim status while homosexual advocates have been bullying many - including the church - to try to force their ways on others.

Another irony is the supposed concern about bishops asking sex-related questions (which doesn’t happen anymore by policy I believe)... meanwhile, they support people who’s stated goal is pedophylia...

"A Self-Styled 'Gay Revolutionary' Offers a Challenge to Straight America:
"We shall sodomize your sons, emblems of your feeble masculinity, of your shallow dreams and vulgar lies. We shall seduce them in your schools, in your dormitories, in your gymnasiums, in your locker rooms, in your sports arenas, in your seminaries, in your youth groups, ...wherever men are with men together. Your sons shall become our minions and do our bidding. They will be recast in our image. They will come to crave and adore us. All churches who condemn us will be closed. Our holy gods are handsome young men. ...We shall be victorious because we are fueled with the ferocious bitterness..."
-Michael Swift - Boston Gay Community News - February 15-21, 1987

And what have homosexuals done? Bullied their way into much of what they planned - including boyscouts!
Sick bunch they are - they need help, not coddling.

Cookies
captain of 100

Post by Cookies »

gardener4life wrote: November 11th, 2017, 1:59 am The Lord has promised us that if we keep our eye on him and his prophets seers and revelators that they will not lead the church astray. The same man who said that also promised that if we stay in Zion we can be protected by standing in holy places. We're also told by the Lord in the scriptures that he won't let Zion be destroyed.

But if we follow others more than them or let ourselves be distracted we can wake up one day and realized we missed the boat.
Well, It's more like a bunch of guys claiming to be prophets told us that the Lord said that if we keep our eyes on him and his prophets, they will not lead the church astray....But I totally get what you're saying.