Remember, Remember the 5th of November

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Post by Joel »

412 years ago today Guy Fawkes is discovered in the cellar of the parliament building with barrels of gunpowder, foiling a plot to destroy the existing English government.

The plot was organized by a group of Roman Catholics who wanted to replace the Protestant political leadership. Most of the conspirators were tortured and executed by being hanged, drawn, and quartered. A method that entails being hanged by the neck almost to the point of death, emasculated, disemboweled, beheaded, and chopped into four pieces. Fawkes managed to escape this fate by breaking his neck on the day of his execution.

The failure of the plot was commemorated in Britain and celebrated each year on its anniversary. Guy Fawkes has also become a bit of a rebellious folk hero for trying to abolish an existing government.

http://www.history.com/topics/gunpowder-plot
http://www.parliament.uk/…/parl…/the-gu ... t-of-1605/
https://faculty.history.wisc.edu/sommer ... powder.htm

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Remember, Remember the 5th of November

Post by Robin Hood »

"Remember, Remember the 5th of November; gunpowder, treason and plot."

Yep, terrorism in the name of religion is nothing new.
Maybe our forebears knew a bit more about dealing with it. I wonder how many of today's jihadi's would think twice if they thought they could be hung, drawn and quartered.

We had our bonfire and fireworks last night (Saturday). It was really good this year. I built an absolute textbook bonfire, even though I say so myself. We had a full moon and clear skies, and all the family came from far and wide.
Hot dogs, soup, sloppy joes (my son-in-law is American), baked potatoes etc.

We didn't burn a Guy though.
In most of the country an effigy of Guy Fawkes is made from old clothers stuffed with paper and set atop the bonfire. As the flames rise some chant "burn the Guy, burn the Guy".
However, in York the Guy isn't burned. Guy Fawkes was from York.

I like these old traditions. In my view it's way, way better than that Halloween nonsense. ;)

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Freedom

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Ah... Memories of Sherlock and V Is for Vendetta...

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Hong Kong: Guy Fawkes inspires protesters to defy face mask ban

Post by Joel »

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Robin Hood wrote: November 5th, 2017, 1:05 pm Yep, terrorism in the name of religion is nothing new.
Yeah, but... Isn't this the govt. that jailed/ tortured/ killed practicing Catholics?