"How does the constant use of the smartphone affect child brain"

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
sushi_chef
captain of 1,000

"How does the constant use of the smartphone affect child brain"

Post by sushi_chef »

"Gerald Hüther describes this : “If we are exposed to a constant flood of information (such as the use of smartphones), our brain is concerned. This stimulus overload, is not good for our so-called forebrain. Directly behind the forehead lies one of the most important command centers, the Frontal cortex. There are networks with which we can feel compassion, plan actions, learn to deal with frustration and learn to control our impulses. Studies show that young people who have high media consumption, including the use of smartphones, have problems to use their frontal cortex. This explains why these kids may have difficulties with social competence, impulse control, concentration, gestures and mimicry also common among the children who spend too much time in the digital world.

Gerald Hüther says, “If I sit five hours a day in front of the computer, I cannot climb trees, for example, I cannot move my body. And that is why it is important that we simply make it clear to our children that it is great for their future to be able to use the modern media wonderfully, but it is equally important that you can solve conflicts with others that you have your own body under control, and when all these things are balanced, these modern media are a wonderful instrument. The brain is working the way you use it. We must therefore ask ourselves whether we want to leave the responsibility for the structuring of the brain of our children to the advertisers and the manufacturers of mobile phones or give them guidance to find the right balance.
"
http://protectyourkid.co/how-does-the-c ... man-brain/
frontal lobe smartphone
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UT ... smartphone
:arrow:

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: "How does the constant use of the smartphone affect child brain"

Post by JohnnyL »

Yup. I think they should cut out computer class in elementary school.

WhereCanITurn4Peace
captain of 100

Re: "How does the constant use of the smartphone affect child brain"

Post by WhereCanITurn4Peace »

Part of the issue is that the frontal lobe (where impulse control and the rational part is located) isn't fully developed until the mid-20's in the average person.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclop ... entID=3051

Imo, it's vital for kids to know how to use tech in our world...with that being said, parental control, setting a good example and observation is of the utmost importance. How can we talk to our kids about not being a slave to smartphones, media and tv if we ourselves are glued to a screen 24-7?

Personally, I think one of those simple couple button phones is best for most kids. Also, having computers/laptops/iPads/etc in the family room at all times in addition to limiting usage (for instance 4pm-6pm and definitely no using during family meals). Of course, there's always the situation of kids going to their friends homes and getting a fix there.