I'm leaving this message board

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: I'm leaving this message board

Post by Elizabeth »

Good luck, and peace to you. As far as the advertisements they are different for each poster and reflect where the poster has searched etc.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Elizabeth wrote: August 29th, 2017, 1:30 am Good luck, and peace to you. As far as the advertisements they are different for each poster and reflect where the poster has searched etc.
I get ads for software, dress suits and learning Hebrew.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 29th, 2017, 12:42 am It's been fun and I've enjoyed some good gospel discussions, but with banning news media and social media from my life and feeling happier, I feel I should do the same with this site and I'll explain why. There are too many strange and counter gospel opinions expressed on this board that make me uneasy. I'm going to stick with the LDS gospel library app, the standard works, books by apostles, the ensign, etc. Trusted church sources. The straw that broke the camel's back for me to want to leave this board is the fact that I'm in a thread and I see an ad for the Antichrist book. I want no part in any website that advertises that so I bid you all farewell and no hard feelings I'm just trying to find peace and happiness in my life.
I have a standard add block (Adblock Plus) on and see no adds..

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

I don't pay attention to the ads. I scrolled up to see what I have: Pepsi, KFC and some medical insurance.

Red
captain of 100

Post by Red »

Hammitt handbags. Guilty as charged.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 29th, 2017, 12:42 am It's been fun and I've enjoyed some good gospel discussions, but with banning news media and social media from my life and feeling happier, I feel I should do the same with this site and I'll explain why. There are too many strange and counter gospel opinions expressed on this board that make me uneasy. I'm going to stick with the LDS gospel library app, the standard works, books by apostles, the ensign, etc. Trusted church sources. The straw that broke the camel's back for me to want to leave this board is the fact that I'm in a thread and I see an ad for the Antichrist book. I want no part in any website that advertises that so I bid you all farewell and no hard feelings I'm just trying to find peace and happiness in my life.
If you're talking about one of Denver's books, it may be because you have participated in threads that discuss him. The ads are called up by robots, not intelligent beings. They sense certain words, so bring up ads with those words in them. They cannot tell if you are for something or against something.

Adblock is a good idea (as was mentioned on this thread). I have Ublock, but that is because the pages kept reloading and would only show half a thread, and were very, very slow. Blocking the ads sped up things.

It's sad that counter-opinions make you uneasy. I think we are the poorer when we don't see views different from our own, even opposing our own. How can we grow? How can we know what is truth if we hide in a corner reading only approved things?

In any case, I respect the choice you have made, and isn't that what this life is about? Making choices? Take that away, and we have nothing and are nothing.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Silver Pie wrote: August 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm
If you're talking about one of Denver's books, it may be because you have participated in threads that discuss him. The ads are called up by robots, not intelligent beings. They sense certain words, so bring up ads with those words in them. They cannot tell if you are for something or against something.

Adblock is a good idea (as was mentioned on this thread). I have Ublock, but that is because the pages kept reloading and would only show half a thread, and were very, very slow. Blocking the ads sped up things.

It's sad that counter-opinions make you uneasy. I think we are the poorer when we don't see views different from our own, even opposing our own. How can we grow? How can we know what is truth if we hide in a corner reading only approved things?

In any case, I respect the choice you have made, and isn't that what this life is about? Making choices? Take that away, and we have nothing and are nothing.

We really cannot gain anything watching network news, nor watching tv sitcoms, etc. It's all just nonsensical garbage, or outright propaganda. So yes, I disagree with you.
Further, much of the anti church stuff is just garbage and nonsense as well. And just clutters the mind with exasperation. So again, these are good reasons to leave the forum and go to approved sources only. Particularly if the anti stuff here has troubled the mind.
dc

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

I used to see a lot of advertisements for women's clothing that was far skimpier than church standards, leaving me to wonder why I have to see that kind of advertisement on a gospel related website and how my (still) wife is dressing for the guy she's living with. But the installation of Adblocker Plus stopped those advertisements here. What a blessing for me! I haven't thought about those ads for some time until today.

Since CelestialAngel is not likely to see this or respond I'll just make a general statement: I wonder why people feel the need to advertise that they are leaving instead of departing quietly.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Silver Pie wrote: August 29th, 2017, 5:37 pm
My guess is that he is referring to this ad that I, too, see often:
ad.jpg
ad.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
It is a book about the Antichrist, not a book written by Antichrist. Not sure what's upsetting with it.

Hezekiah
captain of 10

Post by Hezekiah »

I see health insurance ads too. I'm not sure what this says about me. Other sites have pop ups trying to sell me gun parts. If my online stalkers from Google are going to track me, I think they should at least learn to be consistent.

(Translation: more gun parts ads, please)

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

brianj wrote: August 29th, 2017, 9:58 pm I used to see a lot of advertisements for women's clothing that was far skimpier than church standards, leaving me to wonder why I have to see that kind of advertisement on a gospel related website and how my (still) wife is dressing for the guy she's living with. But the installation of Adblocker Plus stopped those advertisements here. What a blessing for me! I haven't thought about those ads for some time until today.

Since CelestialAngel is not likely to see this or respond I'll just make a general statement: I wonder why people feel the need to advertise that they are leaving instead of departing quietly.
My guess is that it's for the attention, or to be dramatic thinking they'll effectuate change in the forum. People often show up in a forum with preconceived notions of what it should be and when its not, they get miffed and often leave. Having LDS in the title likely makes people think that everything posted will be in accord with gospel standards. Surprise - it's the internet. Celestialangel's statement that she (he?) will just be using the LDS gospel app makes it apparent that discussion - often including opinions counter to your own - is not what she was here for, at least not discussions were different ideas were discussed. I'm open to discussing just about any topic as long as its a cordial adult conversation.

Like the others, I don't see ads - thanks to a couple ad blockers.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Mala_Suerte wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:16 pm
brianj wrote: August 29th, 2017, 9:58 pm I used to see a lot of advertisements for women's clothing that was far skimpier than church standards, leaving me to wonder why I have to see that kind of advertisement on a gospel related website and how my (still) wife is dressing for the guy she's living with. But the installation of Adblocker Plus stopped those advertisements here. What a blessing for me! I haven't thought about those ads for some time until today.

My guess is that it's for the attention, or to be dramatic thinking they'll effectuate change in the forum. People often show up in a forum with preconceived notions of what it should be and when its not, they get miffed and often leave. Having LDS in the title likely makes people think that everything posted will be in accord with gospel standards. Surprise - it's the internet. Celestialangel's statement that she (he?) will just be using the LDS gospel app makes it apparent that discussion - often including opinions counter to your own - is not what she was here for, at least not discussions were different ideas were discussed. I'm open to discussing just about any topic as long as its a cordial adult conversation.

Like the others, I don't see ads - thanks to a couple ad blockers.
The technical term is flounce. :o)

It's a regular occurrence on some forums. =))

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

CelestialAngel wrote: August 29th, 2017, 12:42 am It's been fun and I've enjoyed some good gospel discussions, but with banning news media and social media from my life and feeling happier, I feel I should do the same with this site and I'll explain why. There are too many strange and counter gospel opinions expressed on this board that make me uneasy. I'm going to stick with the LDS gospel library app, the standard works, books by apostles, the ensign, etc. Trusted church sources.
I think I'm going to be right behind you. The lack of moderation on this forum is very apparent lately. When people start preaching false doctrine and their own opinion as fact and that is not being dealt with, there is an issue. I always try to back up what I say on the forum with a reference to a news article or LDS.org link.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Sunain wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:30 pm
CelestialAngel wrote: August 29th, 2017, 12:42 am It's been fun and I've enjoyed some good gospel discussions, but with banning news media and social media from my life and feeling happier, I feel I should do the same with this site and I'll explain why. There are too many strange and counter gospel opinions expressed on this board that make me uneasy. I'm going to stick with the LDS gospel library app, the standard works, books by apostles, the ensign, etc. Trusted church sources.
I think I'm going to be right behind you. The lack of moderation on this forum is very apparent lately. When people start preaching false doctrine and their own opinion as fact and that is not being dealt with, there is an issue. I always try to back up what I say on the forum with a reference to a news article or LDS.org link.
I think Brian does a good job. Report the posts that are against the rules and Brian will take care of them when he gets a chance. I normally don't report posts but the davidicsnuffsters were getting out of hand so I reported one. A day later Brian responded. I don't know what he did but I haven't seen the offenders post anything since then. Hopefully they were banned.

eddie
captain of 1,000

Post by eddie »

shadow wrote: September 1st, 2017, 4:13 pm
I think Brian does a good job. Report the posts that are against the rules and Brian will take care of them when he gets a chance. I normally don't report posts but the davidicsnuffsters were getting out of hand so I reported one. A day later Brian responded. I don't know what he did but I haven't seen the offenders post anything since then. Hopefully they were banned.
( brown noser...) :p

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

David13 wrote: August 29th, 2017, 9:13 pm We really cannot gain anything watching network news, nor watching tv sitcoms, etc. It's all just nonsensical garbage, or outright propaganda. So yes, I disagree with you.
Hm. :-? I was actually talking about people posting their opinions on forums on what they thought was true. Watching the news had not occurred to me. Good point there. Sitcoms I had really never thought of, as they're often a bunch of nonsense, and even propaganda at times. Interesting that you broadened my statement to include pretty much any kind of communication. Thanks for broadening my understanding (seriously).

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

inho wrote: August 30th, 2017, 3:03 am My guess is that he is referring to this ad that I, too, see often:
ad.jpg
It is a book about the Antichrist, not a book written by Antichrist. Not sure what's upsetting with it.
Oh. That makes more sense than my supposition. Thank you. I have never seen that ad, not even before I got an ad blocker.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Hang in there brother. One day you'll look at her just as you see other women. You will heal.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

If you look through my posts, you can find maybe 4 or 5 of them announcing I'm leaving. I can't remember any of the reasons why except one was because my husband asked me to. That post unfortunately pops up in Google searches if you type my name in, much to my dismay, since I'm currently looking for a job and would rather not have that post advertised for potential future employers. I finally got tired of having to retract my adeiu's and stopped making announcements every time I decided to try to free myself from the enticing tentacles of this place. I'd bet money that CelestialAngel will come back to check this thread and I wouldn't be surprised to see her/him return in the future. It's happened so many times with so many people....

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

There was a similar situation a few years ago when the forum became the home of many Denver Snufffer followers and even had, if I remember correctly, two private chat areas to discuss Snuffers teachings.

I was one of the few who believed that Snuffer was a false prophet and I was banned from LDSFF for a good while. In fairness I think Brian M or one of his minions banned me because they thought I was being contentious.

What you have to remember is that this forum, although called LDS, has nothing to do with the LDS Church. This is B's forum who is a member of the LDS Church. B decides what is acceptable and what is not.

I think it's healthy to allow freedom of speech and expression of ideas but remember that there are many on this forum who are either not LDS or if they are they have unorthodox ideas and opinions.

LDSFF will always be a great place to bounce ideas and opinions but I've noticed that usually the ultra-Mormons are driven out after being mocked by the social/club Mormons who actually despise LDS theology.

Occasionally you have club Mormons making a big deal about leaving after pretending to be offended by an advert or something. :D

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

LukeAir2008 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:57 amI was one of the few who believed that Snuffer was a false prophet and I was banned from LDSFF for a good while. In fairness I think Brian M or one of his minions banned me because they thought I was being contentious.
Honestly, when you were banned it had nothing to do with Snuffer or anything related to Snuffer. The reason was (as you hinted at) "Continuous personal attacks after being warned multiple times". Funny thing is that matches the reason most people get banned and yet most of them also believe the reason was different. Anyways, that's in the past..
LukeAir2008 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:57 am..I've noticed that usually the ultra-Mormons are driven out after being mocked by the social/club Mormons who actually despise LDS theology.
That's unfortunate because this forum was created for the "ultra-Mormons" not the "social/club Mormons"... though all are welcome. I created LDSFF primarily for the non-mainstream LDS (after I found there was no place for such on the LDS forums that existed back in 2004/5).

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

BrianM wrote: September 5th, 2017, 1:14 pm
LukeAir2008 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:57 amI was one of the few who believed that Snuffer was a false prophet and I was banned from LDSFF for a good while. In fairness I think Brian M or one of his minions banned me because they thought I was being contentious.
Honestly, when you were banned it had nothing to do with Snuffer or anything related to Snuffer. The reason was (as you hinted at) "Continuous personal attacks after being warned multiple times". Funny thing is that matches the reason most people get banned and yet most of them also believe the reason was different. Anyways, that's in the past..
LukeAir2008 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 3:57 am..I've noticed that usually the ultra-Mormons are driven out after being mocked by the social/club Mormons who actually despise LDS theology.
That's unfortunate because this forum was created for the "ultra-Mormons" not the "social/club Mormons"... though all are welcome. I created LDSFF primarily for the non-mainstream LDS (after I found there was no place for such on the LDS forums that existed back in 2004/5).
As some of you know I'm new to the church (2 1/2 years now, of intense church activity and study) so I'm not sure how these categories work. What I see here is ultra Mormon social and club Mormons (my part of Utah). I think I get what you mean about social/club Mormons which I may have seen back in Los Angeles, but there there is such a minority aspect it may be more understandable. However, they all seemed to be strong in the faith and quite well versed in the gospel in Los Angeles. Not to the extent they are here, but we had a lot more coming and going in Los Angeles. As you might suspect.
So what are these categories, and can you actually categorize members of your ward into them?
dc

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I enjoy the different perspectives here. I would never desire anyone to be silenced. What better way to test my own beliefs, assumptions, and biases than against those of others? There have been many times I have been in the process of writing a response to a post only to delete it part way through because I discovered something beautiful and true in what they had said and something ugly and false in my own belief. There have also been times when I have felt my belief to be confirmed.

It can be uncomfortable though. I understand why sometimes people want to be surrounded by those of like mind and spirit. It is a vacation from the hard work that is required for spiritual self-improvement. There is nothing wrong with a vacation from time to time, but when it becomes your main pursuit in life you will stagnate.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Serragon wrote: September 5th, 2017, 4:01 pm I enjoy the different perspectives here. I would never desire anyone to be silenced. What better way to test my own beliefs, assumptions, and biases than against those of others? There have been many times I have been in the process of writing a response to a post only to delete it part way through because I discovered something beautiful and true in what they had said and something ugly and false in my own belief. There have also been times when I have felt my belief to be confirmed.

It can be uncomfortable though. I understand why sometimes people want to be surrounded by those of like mind and spirit. It is a vacation from the hard work that is required for spiritual self-improvement. There is nothing wrong with a vacation from time to time, but when it becomes your main pursuit in life you will stagnate.
And perhaps, on the contrary, when you get around, and surround yourself with like minded people, you grow more. You are able to advance based on the advance state of development of the things you all value the most.
And maybe when you are in a hodge podge of contention, off the wall nonsense, and other useless stuff of "diversity" you stagnate.

Who knows for sure? Do you?
dc

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

David13 wrote: September 5th, 2017, 9:34 pm
Serragon wrote: September 5th, 2017, 4:01 pm I enjoy the different perspectives here. I would never desire anyone to be silenced. What better way to test my own beliefs, assumptions, and biases than against those of others? There have been many times I have been in the process of writing a response to a post only to delete it part way through because I discovered something beautiful and true in what they had said and something ugly and false in my own belief. There have also been times when I have felt my belief to be confirmed.

And perhaps, on the contrary, when you get around, and surround yourself with like minded people, you grow more. You are able to advance based on the advance state of development of the things you all value the most.
And maybe when you are in a hodge podge of contention, off the wall nonsense, and other useless stuff of "diversity" you stagnate.

Who knows for sure? Do you?
dc
I agree that there is value in being around those with the same beliefs and ideals. I prefer that myself. There is plenty of growth that can happen there. But at some point, you need to test those beliefs. In order to do that, you must be able to hear and measure the beliefs of others. If you do not, you will most definately stagnate and reach a limit to your growth. This is the pattern of the plan of salvation. We must be tested.

The church and the gospel provide a firm foundation in doctrine and principles. They have the keys to organize the work. But at some point we must be able to take those principles and ideas and make them our own. I find this site a wonderful place for the exam to determine if our understanding is sound or lacking. As a consequence, I have found my understanding to be faulty more often than I ever would have suspected.