Store Fresh Eggs for 2 Years

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Mullenite
captain of 1,000

Post by Mullenite »

By LaDawn Lott

Imagine eating exclusively out of food storage for an extended period of time, Now, imagine retrieving form food storage a dozes fresh eggs and taking orders from your hungry family. “Sunny side up! Over easy! Scrambled!

Until recent history, ships sailed the high seas for many months at a time without the advantages of electricity or refrigeration. Sailors learned how to preserve and carry on board a large variety of foodstuffs to sustain themselves on these long journeys. The easiest way to provide high-quality protein without bringing live animals on board was to store eggs. How did the sailors keep the eggs fresh for months on hot ships, you ask?
An egg will stay fresh as long as air does not penetrate the somewhat porous shell. When an egg is laid, it has a coating on it that protects the contents form going bad, even in a hot nest, while being sat upon by a contented mother bird. When eggs are processed for commercial sale, they are cleaned, thereby removing some of the natural coating that was protecting the egg from spoilage. By purchasing fresh eggs and recreating the barrier between the outside air and the egg within the shell, you can significantly increase the egg’s shelf life, even when stored at room temperatures for great lengths of time.

Here’s How: First, get a large container of VASELINE and a bunch of eggs, preferably in Styrofoam container. If you can only find eggs in cardboard containers, don’t fret. Just use plastic wrap inside of them to protect the cardboard from the Vaseline.

Next, get ready to get messy: Take eggs out of container, Get a small amount of Vaseline on your hands. Pick up an egg and rub the Vaseline all over the egg until it is covered completely. The Vaseline doesn’t have to be thick, just don’t miss any spots. When it’s covered, set it back into the egg carton, with the wide end of the egg at the top. (That’s where the little air space is located inside the shell.) Get a little more Vaseline on your hands and do another egg. Repeat until all eggs are covered. Close cartons, date, and put into your food storage room.

To Use an Egg put a little dish soap on your hands and rub it all over the egg. Rinse with warm water while wiping the egg clean. Only wash as many eggs as you intend to use right away.

If you want to be sure that your egg is still fresh before eating it, simply drop it into a bowl of water. If it sinks, it’s fresh. If it floats, some air has gotten inside the shell and you should discard the egg.

Home Canned Milk

To can milk strain raw milk and refrigerate until animal heat disappears.
More simply, buy any milk out of the grocery store, heat it up and can it. Pour into quart jars ½ inch from the top. Screw lids on tightly and pressure at 10 lbs. for 10 minutes. This milk tastes like canned milk. For a fresher tasting product, a 60 min. water bath instead of pressure cooking is advised.
***Milk has kept for 2 yr. & found to be good.

Stephen
captain of 1,000

Re: Store Fresh Eggs for 2 Years

Post by Stephen »

Good info.

I've currently got 10 chickens...and enough feed for them to eat for years. Perhaps I will do this to have eggs on hand in case they die.

minuet1
captain of 100

Post by minuet1 »

has anyone actually tried this with their eggs, and does it work? It sounds too good to be true!

Proud 2b Peculiar
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Proud 2b Peculiar »

Hmm maybe someone with chickens can test it out and tell us! LOL

Or I might just go to my neighbors and get some of theirs and try it myself.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

There are products that seal the egg shell with a wax and claim a shelf life of a year. The coating on the egg is called the bloom. Eggs do store for a couple weeks at room temperature if the bloom remains and they have never ben refrigerated. Sealing the pores is I suppose a bit like canning them, but you do have an air cell inside. I've thought about trying this, but don't want an exploded eggs.

As a side note... our ameracauna hen started to lay beautiful green eggs recently. Having chickens is a lot of fun, and I think all of our chickens are about as much work or maybe less than one dog. We don't have to walk them.

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

Years ago our Ward in Illinois was really into preparedness with all kinds of "hands on" stuff, etc. Someone showed us an easy way to store eggs for use in cooking. Crack eggs into ice cube trays (one egg per little square section)...break the yoke and stir for just a few seconds....repeat with as many eggs as will fit in the ice cube tray. Put in freezer. When frozen, pop them out and store in baggies in your freezer for future use.

phylm
captain of 10

Post by phylm »

In 1969, my hens were laying a lot more eggs than I could use, so I put them in a crock in the cellar in water glass. I don't know whether water glass is still available now or not. It was a thick colorless liquid in a gallon can which I mixed at one part water glass to ten parts water. The eggs were placed carefully in layers in the liquid. Over time, the liquid turned milky and opaque, but the eggs were still good ten years later. Would be interested to know if anyone is familiar in this method of preserving them, or if water glass can still be purchased.

minuet1
captain of 100

Post by minuet1 »

Here’s How: First, get a large container of VASELINE and a bunch of eggs, preferably in Styrofoam container. If you can only find eggs in cardboard containers, don’t fret. Just use plastic wrap inside of them to protect the cardboard from the Vaseline.

Next, get ready to get messy: Take eggs out of container, Get a small amount of Vaseline on your hands. Pick up an egg and rub the Vaseline all over the egg until it is covered completely.

So do the eggs have to be fresh and have never been refrigerated? Or can I try this with eggs from Wally World?

natasha
captain of 1,000

Post by natasha »

phylm wrote:In 1969, my hens were laying a lot more eggs than I could use, so I put them in a crock in the cellar in water glass. I don't know whether water glass is still available now or not. It was a thick colorless liquid in a gallon can which I mixed at one part water glass to ten parts water. The eggs were placed carefully in layers in the liquid. Over time, the liquid turned milky and opaque, but the eggs were still good ten years later. Would be interested to know if anyone is familiar in this method of preserving them, or if water glass can still be purchased.
If "water glass" is another term for glycerin, then yes, I was taught this, too, but have never tried it. I would assume glycerin is still available but would be interested in other's responses.

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I imagine there are many methods that would work. You are just trying to seal the pores. Regarding the walmart eggs question, I'm not certain. I know that eggs that have never been refrigerated can be stored at room temperature for a time, because they are protected by the bloom. Once washed the time is lessened. Once chilled, they should stay chilled. When the pore is sealed, I would imagine that store bought eggs would be fine, but I'm not really sure???

My hens are laying about a dozen a day now, and we just froze a bunch. I haven't tried storing them room temp yet, but it's on my to do list. I'm a little worried about exploding eggs, so maybe I'll box them afterward.

minuet1
captain of 100

Post by minuet1 »

I'm curious about freezing eggs in ice cube trays. I imagine you just thaw them out before using. Are they as good as fresh eggs in baking? Does the consistency change by freezing them? How about using frozen eggs to make scrambled eggs - would anyone notice a difference?

ChelC
The Law

Post by ChelC »

I only use them for baking. They are just fine for that. I've heard from other sources that the texture does change a bit, which you don't notice at all in baked goods, but would notice in your omelet.

Later this week I'll take some of our eggs and try the vaseline method. I need to find some small boxes so everything is closed in case it doesn't work and we have an eggsplosion. Yuck. I'll try fresh, never refrigerated in one box and some of my own that have been chilled in another. Then I'll test them in some brownies and send them to Mark to see if he gets sick. Just kidding! One of you guys will have to try the store bought eggs because I refuse to by them just for the experiment. :D

TheBrotherOfJared
captain of 100

Post by TheBrotherOfJared »