Is Time Travel Possible?

This is the place where you can discuss things completely Off Topic.
Gideon
captain of 100

Re: Is Time Travel Possible?

Post by Gideon »

Epistemology wrote:
Gideon wrote:If time travel is possible, then there can be an unlimited number of copies of our body and spirit. What if one of them is killed while traveling through time?

If time travel is possible, then it must be possible for the future to occur before the past.
why?
Lets say that event X has three pre-requisites A, B and C.

Event X occurs.

Someone finds event X undesirable, and then travels back in time to make sure that pre-requisites A, B and C never happen.
Event X has now occurred prior to the changes in the past to A, B and C.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

God dwells in the ETERNAL NOW where past and future are present before Him.

Joseph Smith used the Urim and Thummin to walk with the Nephites. Joseph described to his mother the smells.

So, you can see any time past or future, but you can't alter it unless its a "this is what your future will be like if you don't repent"

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

It is possible to see the past while not being able to change it. It's possible to see the future without being able to skip there.

I would say, the past is recorded, the future is planned or extrapolated. This is how they are present before him. I kinda like to think "present" in "all things are present before me", is the roll call kind of present, and not the time kind of present. Meaning, they are there for him to see and think about, but he doesn't live there.

I have a really hard time swallowing unlimited omniscience, but that is tangential to this topic.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Think about this

Take, for example, sitting in front of a PC monitor for an hour. As we sit staring at the monitor, we see the present and the past. We recall in an instant what we saw a few minutes ago that look almost exactly to what we see presently. Moment by moment we get older and changes take place in our body.
We also see into the future as each millisecond approaches then passes by. Otherwise, our existence would be still, or stagnant. Each moment we move into the future until death arrives and sends us off to another realm.
So, in a minute way, we do see into the future.

No?

Desert Roses
captain of 1,000

Post by Desert Roses »

God showing us the past has never been something I thought too difficult--if we mortals can use the technology we've developed in the last 40-50 years to record ourselves at any given moment, or to record any event happening around us, I could totally see there being some kind of an eternal video record of things...we are told that everything is recorded in heaven.
The future, though, is interesting. In quantum mechanics, there is the concept that there are possibilities at every event. I tend to see Father as a quantum being, outside of time as we understand it (Alma reminds us that time is measured only unto man), and able to see all possibilities at once. But when he shows visions, such as the life of Christ, I believe they are based on that intimate knowledge of humankind He has that allows Him to predict outcomes.

Isaac Asimov, in his Foundation Trilogy, posited the idea that with the right information, the outcomes of human events could be predicted and to some extent used to further the goals of the Foundation. Asimov called it Psychohistory, based on the idea that group dynamics, like atomic reactions, follow certain fairly predictable paths given certain input. There is of course, like in quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle, which is that the actions of one individual cannot be predicted, only the group.

I realize that I see my Father in Heaven as more of an evolved being beyond my mortal understanding...sort of sci-fi perspective on God. But hey, Joseph Smith started it when he told us God has a body and that we can become like Him physically, spiritually, and in every other way--a very radical notion in Christianity that still causes traditional Christians to say we are not part of them, no matter how much we want to be.

UT.Starscoper
captain of 50

Post by UT.Starscoper »

Gideon wrote:
Epistemology wrote:
Gideon wrote:If time travel is possible, then there can be an unlimited number of copies of our body and spirit. What if one of them is killed while traveling through time?

If time travel is possible, then it must be possible for the future to occur before the past.
why?
Lets say that event X has three pre-requisites A, B and C.

Event X occurs.

Someone finds event X undesirable, and then travels back in time to make sure that pre-requisites A, B and C never happen.
Event X has now occurred prior to the changes in the past to A, B and C.
But perhaps A,B, and C never happened *in that particular thread of time*. If that's possible, then A,B and C still happened before X before the changes to A,B and C. Perhaps this begins to make a case for the hypothesis of multiverses. Fascinating, in my opinion.

rewcox
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by rewcox »

Of course, haven't you seen Déjà Vu, or the new XMen movie?

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

Time travel...after watching lots of theoritical physicissizzists and cosmologists in documentaries and what I've studied in the book of Isaiah, or at least the symbolism that Gileadi uses (suns, planets, singularities, comets, etc), I believe it is possible to travel through "time," but not as we know it from movies like Back To The Future. I don't see time as a concept outside of this temporal existence. There is always only the eternal now. Moment to moment to moment passes and is all relative to our existence.

We need a universe to house galaxies. We need galaxies to house solar systems. We need solar systems to house planets and moons and rogue debris. Our planet orbits the sun in what we call days-365 to be precise. That is how we measure our moments in this eternal now. But without suns and planets and other means to measure time, we just are. A woman can walk forward ten steps and then walk ten steps back, but that isn't traveling back in time. It's just a succession of moments. She can have a child after nine "months" gestation, but the gestation period or the conception of life cannot be undone. There is no reversing such a process.

Now consider that if we had the capacity to travel to the center of our galaxy, where mammoth stars orbit a black hole or "singularity" at unimaginable speeds without dying of radiation or being compressed into a tiny dot as we get sucked into the black hole, we would witness "time" standing still. Time does not exist inside. If I recall, there is some mathematical equation to illustrate this.

I believe that the Lord put all things in motion as a type and symbol of Him and His work. There are moons that orbit planets and planets that orbit suns/stars. Then there are larger suns/stars and massive suns/stars at the center of our galaxy. Then there is the ultimate celestial entity, the black hole/singularity. We also have rogue bodies like comets, asteroids and other debris way out in the exterior of our solar system (kuiper belt) which we can liken to outer darkness/perdition. These are all symbolic of our lives corresponding to our choices. The sun symbolizes celestial glory. But what about the differing sizes and masses of suns? What about the singularity at the center of our galaxy where time does not exist where many suns orbit it at incredible speeds? We see an order to the galaxy.

If anyone has read any of my posts about Jacob's ladder, Christ is at the top of the ladder. He descended below us all and comprehends us all, whether we are rogue comets or chunks of rock floating at the edge of the galaxy or whether we are moons orbiting a sun or as our Fathers, like Christ is now a Father, orbiting the singularity. You can see the progression in symbolism just as Jacob described in his ladder. Of course, I believe God exists outside of time as we know it. He created the universe. He exists where it all began-before it all began-before time became relevant. Therefore, the black hole, the singularity, which is orbited by other celestial beings/entities/bodies/Gods/Fathers, etc is our Father who is greatest above all.

So...all that said, as One who exists outside of time and can see before Him all of existence, He can also see all of time as measured by all heavenly bodies in their order. Can He reverse events? Well, as I understand time according to some theoretical physisisiszissits, as one enters a black hole, time stands still. It's as if you can look out and see all of creation from beginning to end, so to speak. And if you can see it as maybe one would hold out and look at a film strip, with each cell representing each single moment to the end or into infinity, and as Christ can appear and disappear at will, entering and exiting each "moment" of space/time in a film strip, perhaps then, He can do so at will at any point in "time" regardless of whatever moment in the eternal now He occupies. And thus, time travel as I see it.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

freedomforall wrote: March 10th, 2013, 12:16 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote:Flatland is a book written long ago that is both entertaining and enlightening about dimensional perspectives http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland#mw-mf-search
September 10, 2012
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is one of the most original pieces of fiction ever written. With the use of a geometric theme, Edwin Abbott weaves the fascinating tale of A Square an inhabitant of Flatland who journeys to Spaceland, Lineland, and Pointland. Flatland is a witty and satirical adventure that explores the very nature of physical reality.

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Romance- ... Dimensions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image

Image Image

The Big Dipper bowl is devolving from a square to that of a mere triangle. =))
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on July 2nd, 2017, 1:24 am, edited 4 times in total.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Only those constrained by time would ask if it is possible to travel through time.

Alma 40:8 "time only is measured unto man"

But at least from a mortal time perspective: we all travel through time. We're just limited by the one direction.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Michelle wrote: July 2nd, 2017, 12:45 am Only those constrained by time would ask if it is possible to travel through time.

But at least from a mortal time perspective: we all travel through time. We're just limited by the one direction.
Here's how to move into the future and the past simultaneously...walk backwards. :D
Here's how one can get more work done in one hour's times...buy a slow watch. :-?

Scientifically speaking, was an hour of measured time back in say 1950, via a sun dial, the same measure of time for an hour today? Is it possible that time is moving faster today than back then?
If one could have two wrist watches, one from 1950 in real time, the other brand new, would the hands in the 1950's watch move slower than the new one?

Same questions with varying slants for clarity.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

Michelle wrote: Only those constrained by time would ask if it is possible to travel through time.

This report suggests that it is actively being experimented on, and partially achieved.
http://free-energy-info.co.uk/Issue1.pdf Experiments on Change of the Direction and the Rate of Time: Dr. Vadim A. Chernobrov page 53.
http://free-energy-info.co.uk/Issue3.pdf
1. Time is a Mystery of the Universe: Dr. Lavrenty S. Shikhobalov, St.Petersburg, Russia
2. Experiments with a man in the Time Machine: Dr. Vadim Chernobrov, Moscow, Russia
3. Time is a physical substance: Dr. Kirill P. Butusov, St.Petersburg, Russia
4. Experimenting with time: Prof. Velimir Abramovich, "Time Institute", Rotterdam, Holland
5. Practical application of time rate control (TRC) theory: Alexander V. Frolov, Russia

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

freedomforall wrote: March 10th, 2013, 12:16 pm
BeNotDeceived wrote:Flatland is a book written long ago that is both entertaining and enlightening about dimensional perspectives http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland#mw-mf-search
September 10, 2012
Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions is one of the most original pieces of fiction ever written. With the use of a geometric theme, Edwin Abbott weaves the fascinating tale of A Square an inhabitant of Flatland who journeys to Spaceland, Lineland, and Pointland. Flatland is a witty and satirical adventure that explores the very nature of physical reality.

http://www.amazon.com/Flatland-Romance- ... Dimensions
I also like Ian Stewart's Flatterland: Like Flatland, Only More So
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatterland
In that book, Stewart explains many concepts of modern mathematics in a comprehensible way.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

I'll try this once again.

Scientifically speaking, was an hour of measured time back in say 1950, via a sun dial, the same measure of time for an hour today? Is it possible that time is moving faster today than back then?
If one could have two wrist watches, one from 1950 in real time, the other brand new, would the hands in the 1950's watch move slower than the new one?

Same questions with varying slants for clarity.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

freedomforall wrote: March 9th, 2013, 6:03 pm Just wondering, does anyone think God can see earth events from any era of time he chooses. Could he go back and see the Red Sea open again? Could he go back and visit Adam and Eve in the Garden again?

Or is time a one way path?

This question is not doctrine based, just wondering if anyone else has ever pondered this.
Truth is things as they were, as they are and as they will be. To now truth we must know all of these things about any element of truth.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

brlenox wrote: July 3rd, 2017, 10:43 pm
freedomforall wrote: March 9th, 2013, 6:03 pm Just wondering, does anyone think God can see earth events from any era of time he chooses. Could he go back and see the Red Sea open again? Could he go back and visit Adam and Eve in the Garden again?

Or is time a one way path?

This question is not doctrine based, just wondering if anyone else has ever pondered this.
Truth is things as they were, as they are and as they will be. To now truth we must know all of these things about any element of truth.
Truth is only truth when confirmed by the Holy Ghost. God knows ALL truth, even lies spewed by mortal man. Yet truth is what permeates his mind with absolutely no deviations, for God cannot lie. When we find truth as truth, the Holy Ghost which bears the mind of God, will confirm it, otherwise, it is not truth.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

I think that seeing the future or past is possible. Man has invented cameras that will allow him to view the past. God is likely to have ways of viewing past, present and future. However, I do not believe that actual time travel is possible. If I were to be able to travel to the future and actually experience it, and then come back to the present, I shouldn't be able to alter what occurs in the future. Otherwise my visit to the future would not be reality. If I can't come back and change it, then I am predetermined to do what occurred in the future. This seems to me to be a case of determinism and not free will.

I think God can know how we will choose without violating our free will. This would be foreknowledge. However, if the future is set in stone and can be traveled to at the same time as the present is occurring, then our present decisions are predetermined since they can be experienced through time travel. I think this destroys free will. I think God can know the future even if it doesn't exist at the same time as the present.

I believe that we live in an ever present NOW. Time is only determined by measuring events that transpire in the ever present NOW. I believe the ever present NOW to be eternity. Once an event transpires, that exact same event at that moment in eternity will never happen again. It may be viewed by God through a power unknown to us now (unless SmallFarm's post on page 1 is a means by which God can see things).
Last edited by onefour1 on July 8th, 2017, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

You, your mind, your intelligence exists within a cosmos of matter all arranged in a particular way. Their exact position within space at any given moment is known, every movement, every change. Any time you think or exercise will, you control the movement of matter within your sphere of control, namely, your body, along with any others outside of it that will hearken to your will as long as it is the same as the Father's. All creation is a conversation. There is no power without honor and there is no honor without trust, experience, and consciousness.

It is possible to recreate any moment in time by restoring the exact state of the atoms as they were at any given moment and allowing them to go through their motions. Yes, your mind exists in an ever present now, as onefour1 said. Think of matter is like a series of legos that exist in a certain state at any given time and can and are repositioned continually. All matter has intelligence and there is a memory of everything that has ever happened.

One doesn't travel through time in the Hollywood sense, but one may know the state of all matter as it was, what it did, down to the level of the most finite particle; individual intelligence.

"There is another record that will be used to judge us. The Apostle Paul taught that man himself is the most complete record of his life (see Romans 2:15; 2 Cor. 3:1-3). Stored in our body and mind is a complete history of everything we have done." (Gospel Principles, 284.)

"We are spinning our own fates, good or evil… Down among his nerve cells and fibers the molecules are counting it, registering and storing it up..." (Pres. David O. McKay, quoting William James in Conference Report, April 1956, 7-8.)

"The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth; But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord. The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim. This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s." (D&C 130:6-9)

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

Interesting thought on intelligence being in all matter. Takes me back to a talk I heard on my mission by Cleon Skousen called, "The Atonement". I believe there is intelligence in all matter. What I find interesting about your comment is that intelligence has memory. If all intelligence has memory, perhaps these intelligences can convey in some way that memory at any other given moment in eternity (time). Perhaps in using the memory of intelligence, a way of showing visions of the past is possible. Just a thought. Thanks for the post.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

onefour1 wrote: July 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm Interesting thought on intelligence being in all matter. Takes me back to a talk I heard on my mission by Cleon Skousen called, "The Atonement". I believe there is intelligence in all matter. What I find interesting about your comment is that intelligence has memory. If all intelligence has memory, perhaps these intelligences can convey in some way that memory at any other given moment in eternity (time). Perhaps in using the memory of intelligence, a way of showing visions of the past is possible. Just a thought. Thanks for the post.
Exactly. Think about D&C 130.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Our planet rotates to the east, correct? Is walking to the east easier than walking west? While walking east we're moving faster because we're being carried forward with the earth as it rotates. Thus, walking into the future more rapidly. Whereas, walking to the west, we're going against the movement of the earth, thus getting to our destination with increased effort on our part. Sounds plausible to me if I don't think about it much. :D

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

freedomforall wrote: July 9th, 2017, 1:56 am Our planet rotates to the east, correct? Is walking to the east easier than walking west? While walking east we're moving faster because we're being carried forward with the earth as it rotates. Thus, walking into the future more rapidly. Whereas, walking to the west, we're going against the movement of the earth, thus getting to our destination with increased effort on our part. Sounds plausible to me if I don't think about it much. :D
Check flight times from east to west versus west to east. =))