President Nelson speaks of Florida shooting

Discuss political news items / current events.
gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

President Nelson speaks of Florida shooting

Post by gkearney »

h_p
captain of 1,000

Re: President Nelson speaks of Florida shooting

Post by h_p »

It goes to show that even prophets can be uninformed.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Well, since there is no thank button, I just have to post here, THANK h_p.
dc

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

I wonder if President Nelson owns an AR-15 and thousands of rounds of ammo.

It is so important to own lots of guns, especially assault weapons.

Maybe President Nelson has given a talk...What you need in the last days

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

In the Book of Mormon, I see plenty of examples of unarmed people being preserved by the Lord. So I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, Arenara. I consider that talk one of the great landmark Conference talks, and that priesthood power is something I'm aspiring to. But, I also see in the Book of Mormon plenty of examples of people being strengthened IN their arms and being empowered to their own defense. A good portion of the Book of Mormon was dedicated to a great war, in fact. The sons of the Ammonites even took up arms in their people's defense and were miraculously brought through battles without a single loss of life. I don't think Mormon put all that in there because he was a fan of combat.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

h_p wrote: February 24th, 2018, 9:17 am In the Book of Mormon, I see plenty of examples of unarmed people being preserved by the Lord. So I'm certainly not disagreeing with you, Arenara. I consider that talk one of the great landmark Conference talks, and that priesthood power is something I'm aspiring to. But, I also see in the Book of Mormon plenty of examples of people being strengthened IN their arms and being empowered to their own defense. A good portion of the Book of Mormon was dedicated to a great war, in fact. The sons of the Ammonites even took up arms in their people's defense and were miraculously brought through battles without a single loss of life. I don't think Mormon put all that in there because he was a fan of combat.
Mormon didn’t put the wars in for war examples, he put them in for spiritual symbolic examples.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 9:37 am Mormon didn’t put the wars in for war examples, he put them in for spiritual symbolic examples.
But they actually happened, though, right? I believe they did. I believe God did literally protect the stripling warriors as they went into battle. And they didn't go in unarmed.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Did President Nelson have armed guards around him when he said that?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

h_p wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:22 am
Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 9:37 am Mormon didn’t put the wars in for war examples, he put them in for spiritual symbolic examples.
But they actually happened, though, right? I believe they did. I believe God did literally protect the stripling warriors as they went into battle. And they didn't go in unarmed.
Today our military handles the battles. They are armed and trained. The military rifles are based on the AR-15. That is an appropriate place for those type of weapons.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

EmmaLee wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:27 am Did President Nelson have armed guards around him when he said that?
The president of the Church has a security detail. These are trained men. Are they packing AR-15s?

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:34 am
EmmaLee wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:27 am Did President Nelson have armed guards around him when he said that?
The president of the Church has a security detail. These are trained men. Are they packing AR-15s?
Yes, I know he has a security detail of trained men. Does it matter what type of guns President Nelson is protected with? No, it doesn't. Nice try at deflecting my point though.

It's a shame our lives don't matter as much as his does. So God actually IS a respecter of persons then. :(

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

EmmaLee wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:39 am
Yes, I know he has a security detail of trained men. Does it matter what type of guns President Nelson is protected with? No, it doesn't. Nice try at deflecting my point though.

It's a shame our lives don't matter as much as his does. So God actually IS a respecter of persons then. :(
I’m not understanding your point.?

Why do we need assault rifles? Why are mentally challenged people allowed to purchase assault rifles? Why was the young man in Florida allowed to purchase one, with the background he had?

Why did the trained security deputy not engage the culprit?

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:48 am Why do we need assault rifles?
Because we have a God-given right to defend ourselves from every predator, including tyrannical governments that like to load people up onto boxcars and haul them off to gas chambers.
Why are mentally challenged people allowed to purchase assault rifles? Why was the young man in Florida allowed to purchase one, with the background he had?
They aren't. Cruz passed a background check. He passed because nobody who had any power to do anything did anything. This guy did not appear out of thin air. Everybody who knew him knew he was dangerous. But the government we pay billions of dollars every year to support couldn't be bothered to lift a finger.

Here's just one example: He tried to commit suicide once back in September 2016 by drinking gasoline and cutting himself. He also expressed a desire to acquire a gun. But when reported to a mental health counselor, this counselor recommended he NOT be institutionalized. If he had, it would have been on his record, and he would not have been able to pass the background check when he bought that AR-15. Assuming that the next layer of incompetent buffoons who report these things to the FBI NICS system would have actually done so.

So someone please tell me why we keep talking about passing even more laws that will make absolutely no difference. Is it because symbolic gestures are the only way people can think of to show that they care about the victims?
Because he was a coward.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:48 am

Why do we need assault rifles? Why are mentally challenged people allowed to purchase assault rifles? Why was the young man in Florida allowed to purchase one, with the background he had?

My point is, Pres. Nelson shouldn't be commenting on "gun control" when he himself is surrounded by men protecting him with.... guns. I love King Benjamin - he didn't esteem himself better or more worthy or more important than the church members of his day. Of course, I understand the corporate nature/laws of the Church today probably require the president to be guarded - but it still makes me wonder. We, the members, are told to "have faith" and trust that nothing bad will ever happen in any of our church buildings - which is a total farce, of course - yet some others are not required to "have faith" God will protect them, as they get protected by guns. Your other questions have nothing to do with my point, but if you don't like living in a country with freedom and the 2nd Amendment, you are more than free to move to a country that doesn't have these things.

hy·poc·ri·sy
noun: hypocrisy; plural noun: hypocrisies
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

EmmaLee wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:13 am

My point is, Pres. Nelson shouldn't be commenting on "gun control" when he himself is surrounded by men protecting him with.... guns. I love King Benjamin - he didn't esteem himself better or more worthy or more important than the church members of his day. Of course, I understand the corporate nature/laws of the Church today probably require the president to be guarded - but it still makes me wonder. We, the members, are told to "have faith" and trust that nothing bad will ever happen in any of our church buildings - which is a total farce, of course - yet some others are not required to "have faith" God will protect them, as they get protected by guns. Your other questions have nothing to do with my point, but if you don't like living in a country with freedom and the 2nd Amendment, you are more than free to move to a country that doesn't have these things.

hy·poc·ri·sy
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
That’s a little tough from a friend.

I don’t believe in gunning up because our government is going to turn Nazi.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:24 am I don’t believe in gunning up because our government is going to turn Nazi.
Do you mean you believe that scenario is completely outside the realm of possibility, or that arming yourself in case of it is not the right plan of action?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

h_p wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:31 am
Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:24 am I don’t believe in gunning up because our government is going to turn Nazi.
Do you mean you believe that scenario is completely outside the realm of possibility, or that arming yourself in case of it is not the right plan of action?
You already know this. Guns aren’t the help for the future...

Preparing for the Future

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:24 am

hy·poc·ri·sy
That’s a little tough from a friend.

I don’t believe in gunning up because our government is going to turn Nazi.
I'm not trying to sound tough in the least - just truthful and real. These things matter. People who chose God's plan in our pre-earth life are now, in droves, choosing Satan's plan. Blindness (delusion) is sweeping the Church (it swept the world long ago), and the days of candy-coating everything are gone.

As for your last comment - Captain Moroni is rolling in his grave knowing everything he taught us is for naught. :cry:
Last edited by EmmaLee on February 24th, 2018, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 11:37 am You already know this. Guns aren’t the help for the future...

Preparing for the Future
:-) Got it. And for what it's worth, I think it's great to have these kinds of discussions with people I share at least some common ground with. I've debated gun control for more than 20 years now, and I usually just feel like we're talking past each other. I hope you, myself, and everyone else here can some day develop the kind of priesthood power President Nelson is referring to. And if God ever tells me I need to give up my AR-15s to obtain it, I'll do so in a heartbeat.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

h_p wrote: February 24th, 2018, 8:05 am It goes to show that even prophets can be uninformed.
It just goes show how well informed prophets are.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Stole this from another thread -

"Don't be a useful idiot to the cause of the leftist factions in society who would like nothing more than to disarm the public. The agenda is obvious to any reasonable thinking person. Group-think manipulation is alive and well.."

https://www.americanthinker.com/article ... dment.html

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

If you can’t justify AR-15s, you resort to name calling.

Grateful that President Nelson is smarter!

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:33 am
h_p wrote: February 24th, 2018, 10:22 am
Today our military handles the battles. They are armed and trained. The military rifles are based on the AR-15. That is an appropriate place for those type of weapons.
You are no authority.
dc

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

Arenera wrote: February 24th, 2018, 12:41 pm If you can’t justify AR-15s, you resort to name calling.

Grateful that President Nelson is smarter!
If you're talking to me, Arenera, don't be passive-aggressive - quote me so there's no misunderstanding about who you're accusing. That isn't my quote - another poster on LDSFF said it (Mark, I believe), but I do wholeheartedly agree with him. Not sure what "justifying AR-15s" has to do with anything. The 2nd Amendment shall not be infringed - do you know what "infringed" means?

in·fringe
verb
past tense: infringed; past participle: infringed

actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.).
"making an unauthorized copy would infringe copyright"
synonyms: contravene, violate, transgress, break, breach; More
disobey, defy, flout, fly in the face of;
disregard, ignore, neglect;
go beyond, overstep, exceed;
infract
"the statute infringed constitutionally guaranteed rights"
antonyms: obey, comply with
act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.
"his legal rights were being infringed"
synonyms: restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on;

Please stop trying to take Americans God-given rights away. That kind of thing is anti-Christ.

It seems unfortunate that President Nelson doesn't have faith that God will protect him.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

hy·poc·ri·sy

There you have truth Emma Lee.

But Arenera won't accept truth, because the is like so many on the left. They think they are God. They don't like guns, so they think they get to tell any and every one else that they (the others) can't have a gun.

It's egotism run rampant.
dc