Homeless in Salt Lake City Are Disappearing--to Where??

Discuss political news items / current events.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Homeless in Salt Lake City Are Disappearing--to Where??

Post by JohnnyL »

http://unexplained.news/2017-10-17-brea ... trace.html

Sometimes in life, things happen that we just cant explain. In Salt Lake City, for instance, homeless people are mysteriously disappearing by the hundreds, and no one can seem to come up with an explanation.
Mike Brown, the Salt Lake City police chief, explained that he had visited nearby areas to see if the homeless people had simply packed up and moved, but strangely enough, ...

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Homeless in Salt Lake City Are Disappearing--to Where??

Post by MMbelieve »

Don't homeless people migrate to warmer areas in the coldest winter months? I have always understood this to be the case. SLC in January is likely the coldest time.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Horrible to think they may be getting jobs and getting off the street.

Actually, it's probably someone handing out free bus tickets to Los Angeles, sunny warm Los Angeles. But who knows?
dc

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

No mystery to locals.

Its a cleanup and crackdown in SLC known as "Operation Rio Grande". Been underway since the end of summer.
PUBLIC SAFETY AND ENFORCEMENT
As a business or resident in the area, how to do I keep my employees and family safe?
The primary goal of Operation Rio Grande is to improve public safety in the area. The increased police presence will continue beyond just Phase One of the plan to permanently reduce drug-related and criminal activity in the area. If you live or work in the area, don't hesitate to reach out to the law enforcement officers and introduce yourself. They are partners with the community and look forward to working with you as a team throughout this operation. If you have a crime or incident to report, approach an officer and report it.

What is going be done about camping and panhandling in Salt Lake City and surrounding areas?
The law enforcement portion of Operation Rio Grande is focused on arresting individuals involved in drug trafficking and those with outstanding warrants. At this time, we do not anticipate arresting people for camping or panhandling, but to ensure that individuals engaged in those activities are fully aware of services available to them (like The Road Home shelter). Regular citizens can have the biggest impact on panhandlers simply by not giving them money. Those who want to help should support local service providers instead. Learn more at slchost.org/end-panhandling.

What is happening with street cleanups, and what happens to the belongings of people who are homeless or camping?
From mid-August to mid-September, the Salt Lake County Health Department will be conducting daily cleanups in the Rio Grande neighborhood, with the goal to reduce waste and materials that may endanger public health and safety. The cleanups have representation of the Police Department, Health Department and Salt Lake City to help ensure the health and safety of all participants, including bystanders. Advance notice of the cleanup and removal of personal belongings is given 24 hours prior, providing people the opportunity to remove their items. Items that are left behind are disposed of. Trash, human waste, syringes and drug paraphernalia are also removed and streets and sidewalks are washed down, as needed.

What is being done about people spreading from Rio Grande to other parts of the valley?
With increased enforcement in the Rio Grande district, it is anticipated that some people will relocate to other parts of the valley. Law enforcement officials plan to pursue and arrest criminals, even as they move elsewhere. Please report illegal activity to your local police department. For emergencies dial 911.

HOMELESS SERVICES
How have the homeless service providers been involved in this process?
Operation Rio Grande is a government-led effort, but the input and help of the service providers is essential for the operation's success. Lt. Governor Spencer Cox and other Operation Rio Grande leaders have met with the service providers before and during the operation and will continue to seek their feedback for the duration.

Will the service providers in the Rio Grande area be closing?
The Road Home shelter that is located on Rio Grande street will be closing in 2019 as part of a long-term plan to shift homeless services to a resource center model. At that time, three new, smaller resource centers will be open in Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake. There are no plans for other service providers in the area to close, though they may adjust how they are providing their services. For example, the Fourth Street Clinic, which provides free health care services to homeless individuals, is planning to operate a mobile clinic to serve the three new resource centers.

FUNDING
How much will Operation Rio Grande cost? Where will the funding come from?
Costs for the operation are still being quantified as Lt. Governor Cox, Speaker Greg Hughes, President Wayne Neiderhauser and other Operation Rio Grande leaders work to identify funding from existing sources. Check back at this website for more information as it becomes available.

CIVIL LIBERTIES
How are you protecting the civil liberties of people who are experiencing homeless or who are camping?
Being homeless is not a crime, and it will not treated it as such. Our professional post-certified law enforcement officers are operating under clear rules of engagement that comply with constitutional policing practices. Public defenders have been made available to represent those requiring their services. This enforcement action will restore the basic civil liberties of peace and personal security to those who live and work around Pioneer Park and those seeking social services offered in the Rio Grande district.

HOW TO HELP
How can regular citizens or businesses help in this effort?
As Operation Rio Grande moves forward, members of the public can make a major difference to help restore public safety to our city while lifting those in need. For the safety of all, please do not interfere with active law enforcement operations. If you witness a crime or are concerned for someone's safety or your own, call Salt Lake City Police dispatch at 801-799-3000. For emergencies dial 911. A new fundraising effort is now underway to support the three new homeless resource centers that will soon be under construction in Salt Lake City and South Salt Lake. Make a donation today to have it doubled with a match from the Miller Foundation: homelessutah.org. Lastly, please don't support panhandling. For proven ways to help lift individuals experiencing homelessness, please visit the website of the Salt Lake City Homeless Outreach Team, which identifies specific ways that can make a positive difference.

https://operationriogrande.utah.gov/

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

Michelle wrote: January 1st, 2018, 4:58 pm No mystery to locals.

Its a cleanup and crackdown in SLC known as "Operation Rio Grande". Been underway since the end of summer.
PUBLIC SAFETY AND ENFORCEMENT

Regular citizens can have the biggest impact on panhandlers simply by not giving them money. Those who want to help should support local service providers instead. Learn more at slchost.org/end-panhandling.

https://operationriogrande.utah.gov/

How about that??!!
dc

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

It is my understanding that the majority of the homeless came from other States to Salt Lake City because of the handouts available.
Maybe they have returned from whence they came.

SouEu
captain of 50

Post by SouEu »

Elizabeth wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:38 pm It is my understanding that the majority of the homeless came from other States to Salt Lake City because of the handouts available.
I work across the street from the homeless shelter. Over the years I have seen the homeless population explode. I wondered where all of the people are coming from. They are always asking me for money, so I took advantage of the situation to talk to a few dozen of them. Many of them were put on a bus with a one-way ticket and sent here from another state. Most of them were sent here from cities in California. California has been dumping their homeless population on to Utah. Other states have sent their homeless with a one-way ticket to Utah, but California has been the biggest offender.

There are many that came here on their own, because they heard that they would receive more help, but the majority that I talked to were dumped here.

A lot of them would like to return, because it gets cold in Utah, but they get more food and attention in Utah.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

SouEu wrote: January 6th, 2018, 12:23 pm
Elizabeth wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 5:38 pm It is my understanding that the majority of the homeless came from other States to Salt Lake City because of the handouts available.
I work across the street from the homeless shelter. Over the years I have seen the homeless population explode. I wondered where all of the people are coming from. They are always asking me for money, so I took advantage of the situation to talk to a few dozen of them. Many of them were put on a bus with a one-way ticket and sent here from another state. Most of them were sent here from cities in California. California has been dumping their homeless population on to Utah. Other states have sent their homeless with a one-way ticket to Utah, but California has been the biggest offender.

There are many that came here on their own, because they heard that they would receive more help, but the majority that I talked to were dumped here.

A lot of them would like to return, because it gets cold in Utah, but they get more food and attention in Utah.
I guess CA is just trying to even out their rich that come here to buy houses...

That is really telling. Maybe Utah is sending them back??

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

JohnnyL wrote: January 7th, 2018, 9:15 am

I guess CA is just trying to even out their rich that come here to buy houses...

That is really telling. Maybe Utah is sending them back??
Well, it may be retaliation.
I do know that a number of California cities found that homeless from Salt Lake had been given one way bus tickets to California some years ago.
Now, that doesn't mean the city or the government gave them the tickets. It could have been anyone who wanted them out, or someone who thought they would fare better in California, welfare, etc-wise or just weather-wise.
And now, again, it may not be the city that's giving them tickets, it may be some businessmans assoc. or something, or anyone who thinks the "Mormons" will take good care of them in Salt Lake, or help them spiritually.
dc

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

MMbelieve wrote: January 1st, 2018, 4:03 pm Don't homeless people migrate to warmer areas in the coldest winter months? I have always understood this to be the case. SLC in January is likely the coldest time.
Rail riders ..
I like to ride that southbound freight ...
Midnight Cowboy, "I'm goin' where the weather suits my clothes ..."
dc

DennisTate
Hi, I'm new.

Post by DennisTate »

Very interesting indeed!

Here is a possible way to organize them so that they can assist each other.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scot ... -1.4397035
Earlier this year, the St. Ann's Bay Development Association launched a "time bank."

"A time bank is basically an organized way to exchange services amongst neighbours and friends," said association chair Anne-Claude Pepin.

A member receives a credit for each hour they help another person in the time bank. Credits can then be redeemed in the form of services from other members.

onefour1
captain of 1,000

Post by onefour1 »

Let's hope that it is not this: Mobile Crematoriums

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

onefour1 wrote: January 17th, 2018, 6:17 pm Let's hope that it is not this: Mobile Crematoriums
It's not.

Just a reminder to those who didn't read the whole thread.

This is not a mystery. It is a cleanup and crackdown operation by the local police called Operation Rio Grande. It's been in place since August.

Nothing bad, just cleaning up the drug sellers and trying to help the homeless.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

David13 wrote: January 1st, 2018, 7:45 pm

How about that??!!
dc
Whew! That's better than the alternative:
>
>
>

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Michelle wrote: January 17th, 2018, 8:14 pm
onefour1 wrote: January 17th, 2018, 6:17 pm Let's hope that it is not this: Mobile Crematoriums
It's not.

Just a reminder to those who didn't read the whole thread.

This is not a mystery. It is a cleanup and crackdown operation by the local police called Operation Rio Grande. It's been in place since August.

Nothing bad, just cleaning up the drug sellers and trying to help the homeless.
I understand your belief, but then there's this:
Mike Brown, the Salt Lake City police chief, explained that he had visited nearby areas to see if the homeless people had simply packed up and moved, but strangely enough, he didn’t notice any more homeless people in these areas than there always was. Sgt Brandon Shearer, who has gone so far as to examine homeless camps from up in a police helicopter, was unable to provide any information when he was asked where the people had gone. “I don’t know,” he admitted. “That’s a good question.”

When they don't know and admit it, it raises questions that ORG can't answer. Unless they are lying and spending money and using resources to investigate something they already know the answers to.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Well...

Project Censored:

"#19: People Bussed across US to Cut Cities’ Homeless Populations
October 2, 2018

https://www.projectcensored.org/19-peop ... 1328125000

An investigative report by the Guardian studied homeless relocation plans in major cities and counties across the United States. Released in December 2017, the 18-month investigation recorded 34,240 journeys made by homeless people participating in a variety of city and county relocation programs between 2011 and 2017. Relocation programs provide people who are homeless with free one-way bus or plane tickets out of a given city.
“Some of these journeys provide a route out of homelessness,” according to the Guardian’s in-depth report. The report notes, however, “That is far from the whole story.” Although the programs’ stated goals are to help people, the Guardian noted how relocation schemes “also serve the interests of cities, which view free bus tickets as a cheap and effective way of cutting their homeless populations.”
According to the report, “People are routinely sent thousands of miles away after only a cursory check by authorities to establish they have a suitable place to stay once they get there.” Some relocated people told the Guardian that they ended up back on the streets, in their new location, “within weeks of their arrival.”

...The study included data from four cities in Florida: Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Sarasota, and Key West. New York, Phoenix, Portland (OR), Denver, Reno, and Salt Lake City also provided data. From these 16 locations, the Guardian recorded that more than 20,000 homeless people had traveled around the United States as part of homeless relocation programs during the study period.

Alastair Gee, “America’s Homeless Population Rises for the First Time Since the Great Recession,” The Guardian, December 6, 2017, www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/05 ... unt-crisis.
Student Researcher: Izzy Snow (College of Marin)
Faculty Evaluator: Susan Rahman (College of Marin)

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

skmo wrote: January 18th, 2018, 4:57 pm
David13 wrote: January 1st, 2018, 7:45 pm

How about that??!!
dc
Whew! That's better than the alternative:
>
>
>

My humble culinary opinion is that they would make rather lousy food. I'd definitely pass on that one.
dc

righteousrepublic
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by righteousrepublic »

Are there any dogs in Salt Lake City? If not, the answer may be before you.