FBI Warns LDS Church Members of "Affinity Fraud"

Discuss political news items / current events.
LdsMarco
captain of 100

FBI Warns LDS Church Members of "Affinity Fraud"

Post by LdsMarco »

A recent increase of "affinity fraud" cases in Utah led FBI officials to warn Church members to be on the lookout for scams that have already cost many members thousands of dollars.

FBI officials in Salt Lake City are warning members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that they may be the targets of white-collar crimes.

“These perpetrators are wolves in sheep’s clothing, right? They are great salesmen,” said Agent Michael Pickett, supervisor of the white collar crime unit. “They will come with a plan on how to solicit investors. . . and part of that plan will be they want to prey on the fears of those potential victims, identify what those fears are, and then begin to prey on them."

http://www.ldsliving.com/Why-Last-Week- ... ls/s/87338

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: FBI Warns LDS Church Members of "Affinity Fraud"

Post by inho »

This has been a problem for Mormons for a longer time.
History of LDS Fraud Chronicled

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Elder Oaks previously warned members from getting rich schemes

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

I think part of why this happens is church members think they job isn't to judge anyone. They think they are supposed to give everyone second chances all the time. That's actually a false idea. We're supposed to help the meek, teachable, and repentant. Yet church members throw away endless resources on relatives, and non-family members that are NOT repentant and not meek (meek doesn't mean joining LDS church, but just means sincerely trying to do better by giving up wicked practices.) I can't believe how many times I've seen this over and over and over and over....with especially my parents trying to give second chances to someone in the family who isn't even trying to be good. But the victims of these types of crimes are the same. They trust the appearance of materialism over the voice of common sense and reason. They also expect that all who do good should LOOK beautiful and successful of the world with nice suits and apparel and lots of toys.

It's really the same principle but on a large scale; delusion that someone is going to help you back or pay you back, that everything is good with them. Then they give that person second chances while ignoring others in need. And often that person they are giving the second chances too is still hurting another family member or others by their behaviors.

People should really note that yes you can help and use people that are sincerely trying to change but not people in the world. Helping people stuck in Babylon isn't going to do any good. You have to catch them when they are trying to leave Babylon and that's really the only way. There's also a mistaken belief that you are supposed to believe everyone. That is also a false idea and denying the spirit of discernment which is a gift we are encouraged to look for and use.

The idea of not judging is also instigated by the wicked. Laman & Lemuel tried to accuse their father and brother of judging them.

Isaiah 29:15
Old Testament
Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us? (also in 2 Nephi 27:27) The idea is they accuse those of judging them because their sins are seen and visible and they can't stand that. That grows their hate against those that exposed them tenfold. They will target those that seeth us and knoweth us in our works of darkness. Thus they propel the false doctrine that you have no right to judge me.

The Saviors example of judge not that ye be not judged is closer to condemn not rather than judge. But most people confuse judge not to mean throw away discernment which we are NOT do do.

Discernment = Encouraged
Condemning = Discouraged
Judging = Encouraged as long as it isn't condemning! Yet people don't open their scriptures to see this. 'Ye will judge with equity the poor and the meek' > scriptures like this are full of hope reflecting the Millenial day. 'He will judge the fatherless, widows, that they perish not.' (paraphrasing and might not be wording it perfectly but this scripture is there.) Psalms --> The Lord shall judge the people: judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me. (Prays for judgment to save).

Psalms 96:13 Before the Lord: for he cometh, for he cometh to judge the earth: he shall judge the world with righteousness, and the people with his truth. (Yet in other places he says he judges no man. What is the difference? He condemns not until the judgment bar of God, but he still uses discernment. He also hears the cries of the poor and the victimes.)

So what's the point of this rant? I want to encourage people to use the Spirit and use discernment. Don't close your mind that your job is to give endless second chances to people that are wasting it. Instead help people that need it. In fact those that see they get endless second chances while not doing anything for it are actually being encouraged not to repent because they see family and others will support them in their sins without having the courage to tell them to change.

Then because of said behavior, those giving are vulnerable to scams because they deny revelation, inspiration, prophecy, and discernment.

For future use separate judge verbage in scriptures into 'condemn' or 'discern', or 'provide relief for'. Also note also that while the wicked cry out judge me not, they "...condemn the righteous..."

Helaman 7:5 Condemning the righteous because of their righteousness; letting the guilty and the wicked go unpunished because of their money; and moreover to be held in office at the head of government, to rule and do according to their wills, that they might get gain and glory of the world, and, moreover, that they might the more easily commit adultery, and steal, and kill, and do according to their own wills—

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

LdsMarco wrote: December 21st, 2017, 1:06 pm A recent increase of "affinity fraud" cases in Utah led FBI officials to warn Church members to be on the lookout for scams that have already cost many members thousands of dollars.

FBI officials in Salt Lake City are warning members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that they may be the targets of white-collar crimes.

“These perpetrators are wolves in sheep’s clothing, right? They are great salesmen,” said Agent Michael Pickett, supervisor of the white collar crime unit. “They will come with a plan on how to solicit investors. . . and part of that plan will be they want to prey on the fears of those potential victims, identify what those fears are, and then begin to prey on them."

http://www.ldsliving.com/Why-Last-Week- ... ls/s/87338
That link has nothing to do with the FBI.

Thinker
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Thinker »

This lawyer is interviewed and explains some warning signs of ponzi schemes or other illegitimate scams - like using the church affiliation to gain undeserved financial trust. Utah has one of the highest rates of such scams.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

The richest man I ever knew died about two years ago. He didn't have a lot of material wealth. He never had nice things, his cars were always 15+ years old usually with well over 200,000 miles on them. Worn out from miles of service to the lord including raising 10 children and service missions for the church when his children had grown up. The world would probably call him poor, but he was the richest man I ever knew, and I wasn't the only person to say that. I heard many people say it at his funeral including those who far surpassed him in wealth. I think he knew it too.

The problem here isn't just the scammers. If your heart lusts after wealth, you are more likely to fall prey to these scams. Follow the commandments of god and you will always be OK. That doesn't mean that you will be wealthy, but you will be OK. Your cup will run over with the things that bring true happiness.