DACA and the Book of Mormon

Discuss political news items / current events.
JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: DACA and the Book of Mormon

Post by JohnnyL »

LatterDayLizard wrote: September 8th, 2017, 7:20 pm
JohnnyL wrote: September 8th, 2017, 3:00 pm
LatterDayLizard wrote: September 7th, 2017, 8:01 am "But, said he, notwithstanding our afflictions, we have obtained a land of promise, a land which is choice above all other lands; a land which the Lord God hath covenanted with me should be a land for the inheritance of MY SEED. Yea, the Lord hath covenanted this land unto ME, and to MY children forever, AND ALSO all those who should be led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord.

Wherefore, I, Lehi, prophesy according to the workings of the Spirit which is in me, that there shall none come into this land save they shall be BROUGHT BY THE HAND OF THE LORD."
I'm sure this also includes drug lords, cartel members, Russian mafia, terrorists, etc.
What should we do with them?
If they come by the hand of the Lord, does that somehow mean we can't send them back?
No, it doesn't. What it means is that we would do well to pressure congress to pass DACA, or something in that same spirit.
No, it means we should send most of them back.

The ones that stay, can pay a nice fine for the PRIVILEGE (hardly a RIGHT) to stay and work.

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

JohnnyL wrote: September 9th, 2017, 10:14 am Why should someone who comes illegally get free run of everything, while someone who tries to come legally, has to fill out multiple forms, wait months or years, have to pay a lot of money, and have to have a financial sponsor?

Is this right?!

No, it's not. And they shouldn't.

///

Besides, if you are American born in a foreign country, you can (and will) be conscripted (forced to join the military and serve your time). Is that right?! Yet that's the law every such American is under.

///

If you are an American illegally in another country, in general YOU WILL GET DEPORTED. If you are legally in a country but break your restrictions (work without a work permit, even "small jobs" like tutoring or babysitting, etc.), in general YOU WILL GET DEPORTED, or if they are nice, you will lose your visa and need to leave (won't be able to extend, etc.). And you will pay a fine, and have restrictions put on your passport--next time you get caught, you will in all likelihood be put in jail.
I was trying to discuss DACA, but everyone seems determined to make this about illegal immigration in general, assuming by what I said that I want open borders and to ignore immigration law. In the words of our former president, let me be clear:

1. I am not advocating that we break our own immigration laws.

2. I am not advocating wide open borders with zero checks.

3. I am not advocating ignoring illegal acts perpetrated by illegal aliens.

4. I am not advocating continuing the vicious cycle perpetuated by politicians of last chance amnesty.

What I AM advocating is:

1. Loving our neighbors

2. Finding ways within the law to work with those who have been here long enough to have families and/or contribute in positive ways to society. Not a path to citizenship, but allowing their children to fully integrate and become citizens.

3. Close the border - wall/resources to patrol, find and close down tunnels.

4. Feed, water, and send people back immediately when they cross over the border - any border, be it Canada or Mexico.

5. Put in place AND ENFORCE devastating financial consequences to any company, business or individual who knowingly hires/provides fake ids for illegal aliens.

6. Deport any illegal alien, no matter how long they have been here, who commits serious crime (i.e.theft, assault) - this is already on the books btw.

7. Allow local govt's the power to enforce constitutionally appropriate laws to keep their own borders/citizens safe.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

I think the biggest problem is, the laws that have been made, are not being followed.

And it becomes a huge red tape experience. Similar to what you're saying: pick them up, take prints and check on databases for multiple infractions or crimes (automatically, over the internet), give them water and food, send them back.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I am extremely angry at those responsible for fomenting all this illegal immigration and refugee migration. And I'm disappointed (at best) with those Americans who supported this mass migration thinking they were/are being righteous in supporting it. Lots of them in our ward and stake. But "We The People" were duped into letting it happen, and I feel we must accept our fair share of the blame and responsibility.