Cop Attacks, Kidnaps Nurse for Refusing to Break the Law for Him & Warrantlessly Draw Blood

Discuss political news items / current events.
David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Cop Attacks, Kidnaps Nurse for Refusing to Break the Law for Him & Warrantlessly Draw Blood

Post by David13 »

skmo wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:22 pm
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 7:54 pm The courts are in general not honest, in my opinion. The primary function of Law Enforcement and Courts
is revenue.
In one of my experiences long ago, this was not the case.

I was going to Ricks College in 1985, just after my mission ended. The switch for my headlights was bad, the circuit breaker in it would overheat and flip off. Idaho regs at the time specified a need for two clear lights at the front of the car on either side which did not exceed 55 watts. I put on a couple of cheap driving lights a friend gave me and decided I'd fix it when I went home for Christmas.

Crossing Wyoming in the night on my way home, a Wyo Highway Patrolman pulled me over and said I was getting a $165 ticket, if I paid it in cash I could be on my way. I offered him a Visa, but he said cash only or I'd be arrested. My roommate drove my car another 6 miles to Rock Springs and got a motel for the night, in the morning he came to Green River and I bailed out (the court DID take Visa.)

On my way back through, I went to court and fought the ticket. After the cop gave a fictionalized version of what happened, I talked to the judge and tried the defense that since my car was registered in ID and my headlights were legal there, I should be innocent. The judge explained that my defense was only valid for ID highways, not WY ones. He asked the cop if I did, indeed had lights like I stated, he said I did but that they were not in accordance with WY laws. Since the court doesn't have that, the cop needed to bring them with him to prove specifically which law I'd broken. When he said he "knew" they were illegal but didn't have the statutes with him, the judge reminded him it was the state's responsibility to prove me wrong. I got the case dropped on a technicality.

The best part about it was that before the judge let us go, he berated the cop about how sloppy it was for a professional law enforcement officer to be unprepared to come to court and be, and I remember this phrase clearly, "BEAT BY A SNOT-NOSED COLLEGE PUNK." Needless to say, I drove 54 miles per hour until I was across the UT border. Laughed the whole danged way, though.

Well, skmo, in that case I'd give the Judge credit for inning the case for you. And also I'd give him a lot of credit for calling you a 'snot nosed college punk'.
But tell me this, were you really a 'snot nosed college punk', or actually rather clean cut?
dc

skmo
captain of 1,000

Re: Cop Attacks, Kidnaps Nurse for Refusing to Break the Law for Him & Warrantlessly Draw Blood

Post by skmo »

David13 wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:40 pmWell, skmo, in that case I'd give the Judge credit for inning the case for you. And also I'd give him a lot of credit for calling you a 'snot nosed college punk'.
But tell me this, were you really a 'snot nosed college punk', or actually rather clean cut?
dc
By that point I'd been in enough traffic courts that I knew ahead of time to be clean, shaved, groomed, and to wear my best mission suit and tie.

As for the rest, well, I think it's fair to say that most of my life I've been a fairly egotistical cynic, one who's never hesitated to speak up in most any company and share my opinion. That's not to say it was without decorum or skill commensurate to the situation. I've never sworn in a courtroom. I've rarely sworn around my mother in law. However, none of my friends would accuse me of having a great amount of tact unless I needed it for my circumstances.

I normally exercised tact in the classroom. I was always tactful meeting with parents. However, I threw tact out the window in school and district meetings, which explains why I never got offered any promotions and was often the hated son of administration. My students and parents loved me, and that was enough for me.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Post by Hidingbehindmyhandle »

skmo wrote: September 6th, 2017, 11:14 pm My students and parents loved me,
This alone is enough for administration to hate you.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:40 pm You were lucky, I have not been.
If you knew Sweetwater County, Wyoming you'd know what an understatement that was. Talk about corrupt, that place is legendary. I think one of the reasons things went my way was that I had my mom with me, I was taking her to see friends in Ogden on my way up to Ricks. I think having her along made the judge more likely to follow the law.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

skmo wrote: September 7th, 2017, 12:26 am
Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 6th, 2017, 9:40 pm You were lucky, I have not been.
If you knew Sweetwater County, Wyoming you'd know what an understatement that was. Talk about corrupt, that place is legendary. I think one of the reasons things went my way was that I had my mom with me, I was taking her to see friends in Ogden on my way up to Ricks. I think having her along made the judge more likely to follow the law.
wow, my event occur in Sweetwater's western neighbor, Uintah County - Evanston

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Mayor, Police Chief RESPOND TO COP ARRESTING NURSE!

Utah nurse arrested Alex Wubbels responds to apology from Chief of Police, Salt Lake- Jeff Payne

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Salt Lake Co. DA calls for FBI assistance in investigating U of U nurse arrest

Post by Joel »

Salt Lake Co. DA calls for FBI assistance in investigating U of U nurse arrest

(KUTV) The Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office has officially requested the Federal Bureau of Investigations to investigate any and all individuals involved in the chain of conduct arising from the incident at the University of Utah Hospital on July 26, 2017 for any Civil Rights Violations under the color of authority.

“There continue to be issues that go beyond merely a criminal investigation, and, in an effort to address those concerns, the Salt Lake County District Attorney’s Office has formally asked for assistance from our Federal law enforcement partners to fully vet issues only they can investigate,” said District Attorney Sim Gill. “The decision for this was arrived over the Labor Day weekend and a formal letter requesting this assistance was sent out Sept. 6, 2017.

“The District Attorney’s office has received multiple inquires and communications concerning the incident. We ask the community and our citizens to be patient. We assure them that this issue is of the utmost concern for us and we are committed to assuring a thorough, fair gathering and review of evidence, facts and issues.”

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

I have to wonder why the District Attorney is confident in the FBI's investigative skills.

They can be absolutely rogue. (Think of their involvement in the death of LaVoy Finicum and the missing FBI shells.)

Their investigation into this incident will probably go on and on and on - until everyone forgets what happened.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

buffalo_girl wrote: September 7th, 2017, 2:58 pm I have to wonder why the District Attorney is confident in the FBI's investigative skills.

They can be absolutely rogue. (Think of their involvement in the death of LaVoy Finicum and the missing FBI shells.)

Their investigation into this incident will probably go on and on and on - until everyone forgets what happened.
Yeah. Might just be a ploy to appease people and take the heat off.

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

SLC police body cam footage shows officers discussing nurse confrontation, how to move forward

Post by Joel »

Salt Lake City police detective Jeff Payne discusses the arrest of University Hospital nurse Alex Wubbels with watch commander Lt. James Tracy. Payne says that Logan police — which had requested the blood draw — was not upset about not getting it that day.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

Cops should be like missionaries. They should always be in pairs.

That's the best way to safeguard against one losing their cool in a heated situation.

It's unfortunate that in this case the university of Utah police officer didn't pull the SLC police officer aside and try to talk some sense into him.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Re:SLC cop shoots and kills man's dog in fenced back yard

Post by freedomforall »

Man confronts cops after they shoot his dog

Joel
Level 34 Illuminated

Police worried for safety after threats come from around the country over nurse arrest

Post by Joel »

Police worried for safety after threats come from around the country over nurse arrest

Salt Lake City — (KUTV) A University of Utah security officer says they are on guard for their own safety after that controversial nurse arrest video that went viral last month.

"We've received a lot of death threats. It's made it difficult to do our jobs,” said a security, wishing to remain anonymous, told 2News. “We all have families and we just want to get home.”

A university spokesman said they know of no actual death threats but admit that they have received hundreds of angry and harassing phone calls. The security officer said his supervisors now have them patrolling the parking lot and other outside areas outside the hospital in pairs.

"We are basically doing everything we can to make sure at the end of the day we are safe,” the officer said.

The video was released by nurse Alex Wubbles and her attorney on July 31. It shows Wubbles being arrested by a Salt Lake City Police officer, but it’s U of U security who are also seeing standing around just watching it happen.

The officer said he was working the night it happened, but at was in a different part of the hospital. He agrees the Salt Lake “police officer was out of control” and did not act appropriately, but says the security officers just didn’t have the training needed to handle the situation.

“At that time we didn’t know. We weren’t made aware of what the blood draw policy was for law enforcement,” he said. “I hope that [nurse Wubbles] can understand that we are imperfect people doing the best we can with the knowledge that we have currently,” he said.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Re: Police worried for safety after threats come from around the country over nurse arrest

Joel wrote: September 12th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Salt Lake City — (KUTV) A University of Utah security officer says they are on guard for their own safety after that controversial nurse arrest video that went viral last month.

"We've received a lot of death threats. It's made it difficult to do our jobs,” said a security, wishing to remain anonymous, told 2News. “We all have families and we just want to get home.”

A university spokesman said they know of no actual death threats but admit that they have received hundreds of angry and harassing phone calls. The security officer said his supervisors now have them patrolling the parking lot and other outside areas outside the hospital in pairs.

"We are basically doing everything we can to make sure at the end of the day we are safe,” the officer said.

The video was released by nurse Alex Wubbles and her attorney on July 31. It shows Wubbles being arrested by a Salt Lake City Police officer, but it’s U of U security who are also seeing standing around just watching it happen.

The officer said he was working the night it happened, but at was in a different part of the hospital. He agrees the Salt Lake “police officer was out of control” and did not act appropriately, but says the security officers just didn’t have the training needed to handle the situation.

“At that time we didn’t know. We weren’t made aware of what the blood draw policy was for law enforcement,” he said. “I hope that [nurse Wubbles] can understand that we are imperfect people doing the best we can with the knowledge that we have currently,” he said.
Why is ignorance of the law acceptable defense for law enforcement when it is not for private individuals?

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

Re: Police worried for safety after threats come from around the country over nurse arrest

Hidingbehindmyhandle wrote: September 12th, 2017, 11:43 pm Why is ignorance of the law acceptable defense for law enforcement when it is not for private individuals?
I have been working with my state assemblyman for a while, trying to convince him that there inequalities in the law between LEOs (Law Enforcement Officers) and the private sector that are causing the contention between them.

LEOs have qualified immunity that has to be fought in the courts ( see TURNER v DRIVER)
but ignorance is no excuse for private individuals. It is also a motivation for police departments
NOT to train their officers in the law, If it can be shown they know, then they are liable.

Offices are disciplined in private while private individuals are prosecuted in public.

LEOs are generally not prosecuted for false arrests even though if a private individual were to
do the same thing it would be prosecuted as assault.

LEOS are not prosecuted for contempt of cop arrests but people are prosecuted for impersonating a police officer.

SCOTUS has ruled that LEOs have no obligation to protect, that should be made part of their employment contract.

LEOs should have to have professional insurance, that would police the police quite well.

Departments claim that Officer Payne's behavior is not acceptable, but until it is unacceptable to other
officers and they intervene in such behavior, I DON'T BELIEVE IT.

The Officer Payne's behavior may have woken up my state assemblyman, but I'm not sure.
It certainly proved that we do have a problem right here in Utah.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Here's the full 30 minute footage from Officer Payne's body camera. At around 23 minutes - after Nurse Wubbles is handcuffed and in the unmarked vehicle - another officer takes the time to talk her into 'doing her job to follow the Law'. I think this idiot needs to lose his job, too!

https://youtu.be/9Piuenvb-Zg

What an arrogant, stupid attitude! He even uses the "F bomb" in his attempt to convince her of his right to the patient's blood. "I've done this for 22 f----ing years! I know what the law is when it comes to search and seizure!" at 25:26. Officer Payne wanders around the vehicle just prior to that exchange.

People this arrogant and ignorant should NOT be allowed to carry guns.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

https://youtu.be/9Piuenvb-Zg

Here's the full 30 minute footage from Officer Payne's body camera. At around 23 minutes another officer takes the time to harass Nurse Wubble while handcuffed in an unmarked vehicle.

Officer Payne wanders around the vehicle when this exchange is occurring. Watch the other officer do his best to intimidate her - even using the "f bomb" as a convincer.

Hidingbehindmyhandle
captain of 100

buffalo_girl wrote: September 13th, 2017, 5:53 am https://youtu.be/9Piuenvb-Zg

Here's the full 30 minute footage from Officer Payne's body camera. At around 23 minutes another officer takes the time to harass Nurse Wubble while handcuffed in an unmarked vehicle.

Officer Payne wanders around the vehicle when this exchange is occurring. Watch the other officer do his best to intimidate her - even using the "f bomb" as a convincer.
Payne noticed the camera and moved to get out of view.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

This matter should have been handled privately by the Utah Police Authorities. Releasing the video to the world has only encouraged and aided those who would have a lawless society.

lundbaek
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by lundbaek »

I think a timely exposure helps prevent a cover-up.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

Elizabeth wrote: September 13th, 2017, 11:55 am This matter should have been handled privately by the Utah Police Authorities. Releasing the video to the world has only encouraged and aided those who would have a lawless society.
Nope. It has only discouraged cops from behaving lawlessly.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

According to scripture, everyone's deed will be shouted from the housetops, and all things known. I think that is one of the main factors that make Zion such a terrible place for the wicked. They won't want their dirty laundry to be known. So, I say we had better get used to and expect the release of information such as this video.

I also feel that any darkness unchecked just grows and becomes darker, whether individually or from an institution such as LEOs and others. So its is best to encourage the public's vigilance whenever we can.

buffalo_girl
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by buffalo_girl »

Payne noticed the camera and moved to get out of view.

I'm not sure what camera you mean.

Payne was carrying the camera pinned to his shoulder that entire 30 minutes. I got the feeling he was strutting around feeling justified while the other cop was turning the thumb screws on Nurse Wubble. Good grief, he goes to the back car door opposite to take a swig of his Big Gulp!

The other cop is also an arrogant twit. People like these two have no business carrying guns in the name of Public Safety.

This matter should have been handled privately by the Utah Police Authorities. Releasing the video to the world has only encouraged and aided those who would have a lawless society.

The 'lawlessness' in this case is on the part of Utah Police. Apparently, KNOWING the Law is NOT a requisite subject for their training or they simply don't care. In either case, these arrogant men with guns are DANGEROUS to law abiding citizens and NEED to be exposed.

The 'superior' officer telling Nurse Wubble, "I know the law when it comes to search and seizure", reveals how ignorant he is.

Drawing blood from an unconscious man in Emergency Care - who was the VICTIM of a crash into his vehicle - has NOTHING to do with "search and seizure".

I am NOT a child.

Meili quotes me from a thread somewhere in this forum. I had forgotten having put it 'on paper', but that quote stands for a lifetime of learning what Authority is NOT.
"I do respect 'authority' - when it respects me. Otherwise it is not 'authority'; it is tyranny."
~buffalo_girl
Perhaps Brother Joseph expressed it better a scant five years prior to his assassination:
Doctrine & Covenants 121
39 We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Joel wrote: September 12th, 2017, 11:30 pm . . . . . The officer said he was working the night it happened, but at was in a different part of the hospital. He agrees the Salt Lake “police officer was out of control” and did not act appropriately, but says the security officers just didn’t have the training needed to handle the situation.

And then there is common sense . . . the ability to realistically assess a real-time situation as it is happening. Hearing what nurse Wubbles was telling Payne and how he was acting, and doing nothing shows the absence of common sense in the case of the U. of U. officers, just standing there gawking. Probably fueled by their fear of 'real police authority'.

freedomforall
Gnolaum ∞

Post by freedomforall »

Law enforcement throughout our country are supposed to protect and serve, not harass and collect. They all took an oath to the Constitution, promising to protect, not only the Constitutional rights of the populace, but the rights and privileges under that document that affords us the freedoms we have as a sovereign people.
Cops, in general, do not know the Constitution and many of them don't care about that document. They do not know the laws they are sworn to protect.

Here is a fine example of cops being total ignorant, smug and mindless tyrants.