Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

Discuss political news items / current events.
Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

Post by Silver Pie »

Hurricane Harvey has been causing devastation in Texas. It looks like the worst flooding is in Houston.
This site (Daily Mail) has a "ton" of pictures of the flooding and destruction from the Hurricane. Unlike the people in Hurricane Katrina, the people in Texas are pulling together and helping each other out.
http://theantimedia.org/houston-underwa ... er-photos/

Also, a nursing home was flooded.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/27/ha ... scued.html
Nursing Home flooded.png
Nursing Home flooded.png (572.63 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Hurricane Harvey in Texas.

Post by Lizzy60 »

A friend posted a photo on Facebook of the Houston Temple. I don't know how to re-post it here, but the water was over a foot deep at the front door, and that was this morning. It's been raining hard in Spring, TX all day.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

The article is saying the temple is threatened, but I don't know how there can't be water inside if it's this deep outside. There's more pictures at the link.
facebook_1503947434904_1503947451293.jpg
facebook_1503947434904_1503947451293.jpg (94.2 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
Deseret News article

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: August 28th, 2017, 6:59 pm
Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. (Isaiah 28:2)
This guy hasn't been loosed, has he?

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

alaris wrote: August 28th, 2017, 7:02 pm
LDS Anarchist wrote: August 28th, 2017, 6:59 pm
Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. (Isaiah 28:2)
This guy hasn't been loosed, has he?
Creepy

OCDMOM
captain of 1,000

Post by OCDMOM »

Is there any way the insurance companies will be able to pay for this?

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

I want to go help. Does anyone know how someone from Utah could hook up with an organization to spend a week in Houston helping people?

Does anyone know LDS members in Houston I could connect with?

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

tribrac wrote: August 29th, 2017, 9:07 am I want to go help. Does anyone know how someone from Utah could hook up with an organization to spend a week in Houston helping people?

Does anyone know LDS members in Houston I could connect with?
I heard a group from Utah and several other states are down to help. First responder types, getting people out of the flooded areas. Now is not the best time to go down.

When the storm leaves and the floods are down, there will be plenty of ways to help. Some are saying this is the greatest weather event to have ever hit the United States. There are thousands if not over 10,000 homes that have been flooded.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would only be in the way right now. I was thinking in a week or two after the flooding and rescues are over. I can muck out a house, or shovel for a few days to support my brothers and sisters. I'm looking for an organization or group to join up with.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

OCDMOM wrote: August 28th, 2017, 8:02 pm Is there any way the insurance companies will be able to pay for this?
I heard that only 15% of the people were insured. Can't verify that, though.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Houston temple
There's a hand sticking up out of the water in the picture on the right side. The caption says the person holding his hand up is 5'8" and that the water was 6 feet deep.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

tribrac wrote: August 29th, 2017, 10:34 am Sorry, I should have been more specific. I would only be in the way right now. I was thinking in a week or two after the flooding and rescues are over. I can muck out a house, or shovel for a few days to support my brothers and sisters. I'm looking for an organization or group to join up with.
Maybe this can help you find a way to help?
https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/28 ... -how-help/

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2017/0 ... y_how.html

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Judge Matt Sebesta on Columbia Lakes levee: 'This is a nightmare event.
http://www.khou.com/weather/hurricanes/ ... /468870314
Last edited by Silver Pie on August 29th, 2017, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

The Austin and San Antonio stakes are gearing up for an initial cleanup event this coming Saturday. They're needing people who are going to be completely self-sufficient, so if you've got connections to someone in this area, and fit that criteria, I'm sure you'll find plenty to do. There's going to be weeks and months of this ahead of us. After hurricane Rita, we spent 6 weekends in the affected area doing work. This is going to dwarf that.

Houston is getting all the coverage, not surprisingly, but pretty much the whole coast of Texas has been wrecked. I saw a graphic today that was saying about 46% of the entire population of Texas has been affected to some degree by this hurricane. My family out east of Houston is still getting rained on, and they're expecting another 6-10 inches of rain by tonight.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

It sure looks like God is preaching his own sermon, doesn't it? Like he's trying to humble people to the dust so that they will reach out to him.

I really feel for those who have been harmed or who have lost or damaged homes. :(

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

Silver Pie wrote: August 29th, 2017, 1:54 pm Houston temple
There's a hand sticking up out of the water in the picture on the right side. The caption says the person holding his hand up is 5'8" and that the water was 6 feet deep.
Here's the Google street view of the temple to help get a better perspective: https://goo.gl/maps/9DAKPtFw4dF2

We've probably spent more time in this temple than any other, so these pictures are especially hard to see.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I'm heading down there on Saturday with my brothers-in-law, father-in-law, and a bunch of Austin Mormons so I'll be there in person. I'll let the forum know if there is anything specific that can be done from afar. There's always the money donating aspect but I'm not taking donations. We may have all the supplies we need but if there's anything else I'll post it here.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

It will take trillions of dollars to fix everything here in Texas. If you can't come help with the clean up, monetary donations through LDS.org is a great way to help one of God's children. Give 'til it hurts.

My dad lives NW of Houston and is safe. Many around him were forced from their homes.

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Houston, Texas
Houston Temple President Marshall Hayes confirmed Monday night that the LDS Houston Temple was flooding. "The creek became a river and the current is so strong that it’s been dangerous to even try and approach the temple," he said. Nearby Cyprus Creek rose by more than 20 feet. “It appears water to the depth of four or five inches has gone inside the temple," he added. “That includes a baptistry, a marriage waiting room, dressing rooms, kitchen and laundry. We haven’t been able to go inside so we really don’t know the extent of the damage.” The temple closed Saturday after the 11 a.m. session. Water also breached an adjoining building. Source
Emphasis mine.

I'm pretty sure the above was a quote from some news article, but the place I saw it on didn't give the original source. I picked this up from a site most of you probably don't like, so if anyone comes across the original source and would like to post that link in this thread, that would be great!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

5tev3 wrote: August 29th, 2017, 2:25 pm I'm heading down there on Saturday with my brothers-in-law, father-in-law, and a bunch of Austin Mormons so I'll be there in person. I'll let the forum know if there is anything specific that can be done from afar. There's always the money donating aspect but I'm not taking donations. We may have all the supplies we need but if there's anything else I'll post it here.
:X :-BD

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/l ... ane-harvey

http://www.ldsliving.com/Houston-Temple ... =ldsliving

Silver Pie wrote: August 29th, 2017, 3:44 pm
Houston Temple President Marshall Hayes confirmed Monday night that the LDS Houston Temple was flooding. if anyone comes across the original source and would like to post that link in this thread, that would be great!

Silver Pie
seeker after Christ

Post by Silver Pie »

Thanks, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/p ... _xLIDyL1-B_

“ President Dieter F. Uchtdorf of the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traveled to Houston, Texas, this morning to meet with members and tour areas impacted by Hurricane Harvey. President Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency; Bishop Gérald Caussé of the Presiding Bishopric; and Elder J. Devn Cornish of the Seventy attended a Church service with Latter-day Saints from four congregations who were affected by the flooding or assisting in the cleanup efforts.
He continued, "The Church is really not so much the organization. The Church is you, every individual member. That makes the difference. And your work, your service, your love, your kindness is a reflection of what the Church is all about.” Many of the Latter-day Saints in attendance donned Mormon Helping Hands vests and T-shirts as they followed his admonition to continue to move forward and help their friends and neighbours in the cleanup efforts.
"My heart is melting just to see your smiles," Bishop Caussé told the congregation. "We look forward to the future with confidence although the circumstances are difficult, and we know that we'll be blessed as we worship, as we pray ... and as we go forward and help our neighbor who is in need."Following the meeting, the senior Church leaders visited a nearby command centre where the Church's relief efforts are being coordinated. The Church has sent 16 truckloads of water and supplies to Houston and other communities in Texas. More assistance will be provided as needed.
President Uchtdorf, Bishop Caussé, Elder Cornish and other leaders visited the Houston Texas Temple to assess the damage caused by floodwaters from a nearby creek. They also visited neighborhoods hard hit by the flooding, where they talked with volunteers helping with cleanup efforts today. Many Church meetinghouses have also been flooded or damaged by the hurricane. Six buildings have been flooded, and 20 others received minor damage. There are more than 56,000 members in more than 200 congregations in the region.
The homes of nearly 800 Latter-day Saints in Texas were damaged in the floods. More than 2,800 members have been displaced. President Uchtdorf and other leaders stopped by an American Red Cross warehouse in Houston before returning to Salt Lake City."