LDS Church issues statement of support for LGBTQ concert event

Discuss political news items / current events.
bbsion
captain of 100

LDS Church issues statement of support for LGBTQ concert event

Post by bbsion »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... event.html

The LDS Church has come out with a statement in support of an LGBT concert to be held in Orem:

“We applaud the LoveLoud Festival for LGBTQ Youth’s aim to bring people together to address teen safety and to express respect and love for all of God’s children,” says a statement released by the LDS Church. “We join our voice with all who come together to foster a community of inclusion in which no one is mistreated because of who they are or what they believe."

The statement continued: “We share common beliefs, among them the pricelessness of our youth and the value of families. We earnestly hope this festival and other related efforts can build respectful communication, better understanding and civility as we all learn from each other.”

"...the event that will also feature words of support from NFL Hall of Famer and former BYU quarterback Steve Young and “Dancing With The Stars” judge Julianne Hough"... "Tom Christofferson, brother of Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the LDS Church’s Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, will also speak at the event. Alex Boye, a singer and former member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, will emcee the event."

What are your thoughts? Should the LDS Church endorse the concert? Should they stay out of it? Are they just trying to get back on the good side of the LGBT community by playing politics? Are they shaking hands with the world? Is this even news worthy?

aspietroll
captain of 50

Re: LDS Church issues statement of support for LGBTQ concert event

Post by aspietroll »

:-\ It's news worthy. What really concerns me is the character of the event that will be held? Is it going to be a formal festival, or will have the type of let yourself lose attitude that totally associates these festivals. If it's the latter then that raises a whole bunch of inconvenient questions about Quorum of the Twelve.

Edit: anyone wanna volunteer to be a photographer? Pose as a journalist?

Edit: I'm not against LGBT lifestyles, I'm just worried closet leftists are in the LDS leadership, seeking to turn it into a vehicle for the new world order
Last edited by aspietroll on September 30th, 2017, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

Another unfortunate statement :(
Disappointing, and yes not even news worthy.
bbsion wrote: August 16th, 2017, 11:15 am What are your thoughts? Should the LDS Church endorse the concert? Should they stay out of it? Are they just trying to get back on the good side of the LGBT community by playing politics? Are they shaking hands with the world? Is this even news worthy?

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Elizabeth wrote: August 16th, 2017, 12:34 pm Another unfortunate statement :(
bbsion wrote: August 16th, 2017, 11:15 am What are your thoughts? Should the LDS Church endorse the concert? Should they stay out of it? Are they just trying to get back on the good side of the LGBT community by playing politics? Are they shaking hands with the world? Is this even news worthy?
One day the older generation of throwing the person out with the sin will be gone - Loving people regardless of their choices is what Christ did. The church understands that it has current members and many future members that have this issue and as for the kids - they need all the love they can get as I can imagine it's very difficult to deal with.

This statement may have been put out to build better bridges but its an honest statement and what we know is true.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

The church is in support of this? Oh really? How about the 12 show up to this event, bring along some of their grandkids, too, as all the gays and lesbians are undoubtedly going to express their homosexual love, feelings, and quite likely gyrations, all over each other the entire time of the concert. Would love to see how much support is given after something like that.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

The church realizes that nobody who sees you as their enemy is going to take any time to listen what you have to say. A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

FTC wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm The church is in support of this? Oh really? How about the 12 show up to this event, bring along some of their grandkids, too, as all the gays and lesbians are undoubtedly going to express their homosexual love, feelings, and quite likely gyrations, all over each other the entire time of the concert. Would love to see how much support is given after something like that.
Todd Christofferson is going to be a speaker.
EDIT: Tom not Todd
Last edited by SmallFarm on August 16th, 2017, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

SmallFarm wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:07 pm
FTC wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm The church is in support of this? Oh really? How about the 12 show up to this event, bring along some of their grandkids, too, as all the gays and lesbians are undoubtedly going to express their homosexual love, feelings, and quite likely gyrations, all over each other the entire time of the concert. Would love to see how much support is given after something like that.
Tom Christofferson will be, not Todd. Just to clarify.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 16th, 2017, 12:44 pm
One day the older generation of throwing the person out with the sin will be gone - Loving people regardless of their choices is what Christ did. The church understands that it has current members and many future members that have this issue and as for the kids - they need all the love they can get as I can imagine it's very difficult to deal with.

This statement may have been put out to build better bridges but its an honest statement and what we know is true.
Though one of the older generation 55+, I agree with the essence of these thoughts. Since this became an issue in recent years, even to the point of having one of those 5th Sunday joint priesthood/relief society devoted to the subject, my message has been somewhat different than some.

The essence of my point has been that while so many, esp. LDS have been stimulated to develop and speak to strong feelings on this subject I think they tend to forget certain very important elements. We all tend to agree that the behaviors we decry are wrong. They are a sign of the times and indicators of the depravity of a society.

However, I frankly feel that for all of the judgmental rhetoric that those who feel so justified in their condemnation freely announce, they are forgetting that it is not only the LGBTQ community that will be judged but to perhaps greater effect the responses of those who feel safe in their sanctimony are also being judged for how they respond to the people who manifests such behaviors. While, I feel inclined to condemn the behaviors by which the LGBTQ identify themselves I am appalled by the willingness of some to condemn the people and to their detriment, and I believe ultimate loss may well be judgements against them. In other words as we judge them so shall we be judged. Best to love them and be welcoming to the people for their state as fellow children of God and let Christ handle the judgment portion of eternity. So let it be written...do let it be done.(Ramses)

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

Yes, it is Tom, not Todd who is speaking. Tom is openly gay, and lived with a male partner for many years. Some liberal-leaning LDS believe D. Todd will eventually aid the Q12 into accepting gay marriage. I'm not saying that I believe this, or that it will happen, just what I have read on blogs about the issue.

Also, some people who don't know that D Todd has a gay brother, and who just scan the article, will also read what smallfarm thought it said -- that the Apostle Todd is speaking at the event.

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

Being civil with each other is a given for any Christian, so I'm not really seeing the necessity for the Church's official comment of support.
These people do, of course, deserve respect just as all our fellow human beings.

The festival seems like more of an effort to try to mainstream this behavior/condition. I'd be concerned that given the target audience for this festival being youth, this will inadvertently glorify what is, essentially, an unfortunate mental health issue. With all the celebrities and musicians involved and all the attention given, this will glamorize it and will likely pique some of the impressionable youths interest.
Last edited by nvr on August 16th, 2017, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MMbelieve
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by MMbelieve »

SmallFarm wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:06 pm The church realizes that nobody who sees you as their enemy is going to take any time to listen what you have to say. A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

This is a true statement but what of the statement the church gave about the racial stuff. I don't mean to sound critical or anything I usually say away from these types of threads as to not appear critical or anything...but the statement yesterday was stern about the white supremecy.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

brlenox wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:20 pm

Though one of the older generation 55+, I agree with the essence of these thoughts. Since this became an issue in recent years, even to the point of having one of those 5th Sunday joint priesthood/relief society devoted to the subject, my message has been somewhat different than some.

The essence of my point has been that while so many, esp. LDS have been stimulated to develop and speak to strong feelings on this subject I think they tend to forget certain very important elements. We all tend to agree that the behaviors we decry are wrong. They are a sign of the times and indicators of the depravity of a society.

However, I frankly feel that for all of the judgmental rhetoric that those who feel so justified in their condemnation freely announce, they are forgetting that it is not only the LGBTQ community that will be judged but to perhaps greater effect the responses of those who feel safe in their sanctimony are also being judged for how they respond to the people who manifests such behaviors. While, I feel inclined to condemn the behaviors by which the LGBTQ identify themselves I am appalled by the willingness of some to condemn the people and to their detriment, and I believe ultimate loss may well be judgements against them. In other words as we judge them so shall we be judged. Best to love them and be welcoming to the people for their state as fellow children of God and let Christ handle the judgment portion of eternity. So let it be written...do let it be done.(Ramses)
A few years ago I was following links from Makow, who had put out some piece or other on LGBTQ behavior/lifestyle, and one displayed a video of a street in SF that was blocked off and guarded by SF police to protect the 'gay' activities going on all up and down the street in several clusters of gay men and myriad on-lookers walking up and down the street scoping out the scene.

Having attended Gay parades in SF in the distant past w/groups intent on realizing a certain liberal chic entertainment, this scene went waaaaaay beyond what I had seen in these earlier expressions of 'Gay pride'.

The public behavior being display was depraved to the max . . . but at the same time it did seem like a natural progression from the relatively tame scene I remember from the '70's . . . . and was dominated by multiple examples of a certain oral activities in plain view. Young men doing things in open windows and letting the resulting product spray out into the street below. Etc.

I don't think 'sanctimony' covers the normal reaction most people have toward such activity; nor does their reaction (unless they are on board with such things), include seeing the participants as loving or lovable people that you want to introduce your kids to or have over for dinner.

Semantics aside, if one finds certain activities morally repugnant and abhorrent, especially public displays of same, you have an obligation to speak out against them and those who participate in them. Implicit in this kind of condemnation, whether in private or public, is a judgement of those who engage in them. You can avoid directly condemning them by just addressing their behavior. But the personal condemnation of the participants is still there, even though implied. Doesn't matter how you dress it up.

And like the scene I describe above, once you stop holding the line, where does it all stop? It doesn't. You're in retreat and keep falling back on redoubt positions until you end up w/the SF scene and even worse.
Last edited by larsenb on August 16th, 2017, 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

bbsion wrote: August 16th, 2017, 1:17 pm
Tom Christofferson will be, not Todd. Just to clarify.
Ah... I did find it odd that a member of the twelve would be there.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

When does the virtue of tolerance become the sin of acceptance?

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

From the article:
All proceeds from the event will go to the LoveLoud Foundation, which supports the Utah charities Encircle and Stand4Kind, as well as two national charities, The Trevor Project and GLAAD.
I don't know much about the other organizations, but GLAAD should be well-known to most people. Here's a quote from GLAAD's spokeperson, Wilson Cruz:
Our commitment to marriage equality, employment nondiscrimination, and other LGBT issues is stronger than ever, and now our name reflects our work on transgender issues as well as our work with allies.
Their website shows they've been heavily advocating for the shared-bathroom push that's been going on, not surprising since their primary purpose is to reshape the culture to one of completely normalizing homosexual relationships. They are far beyond just pushing for not hating on gays.

So the church is essentially endorsing a fundraiser for a group promoting a homosexual lifestyle, to say the least.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

larsenb wrote: August 16th, 2017, 2:21 pm

A few years ago I was following links from Makow, who had put out some piece or other on LGBTQ behavior/lifestyle, and one displayed a video of a street in SF that was blocked off and guarded by SF police to protect the 'gay' activities going on all up and down the street in several clusters of gay men and myriad on-lookers walking up and down the street scoping out the scene.

Having attended Gay parades in SF in the distant past w/groups intent on realizing a certain liberal chic entertainment, this scene went waaaaaay beyond what I had seen in these earlier expressions of 'Gay pride'.

The public behavior being display was depraved to the max . . . but at the same time it did seem like a natural progression from the relatively tame scene I remember from the '70's . . . . and was dominated by multiple examples of a certain oral activities in plain view. Young men doing certain things in open windows and letting the resulting product spray out into the street below. Etc.

I don't think 'sanctimony' covers the normal reaction most people have toward such activity; nor does their reaction (unless they are on board with such things), include seeing the participants as loving or lovable people that you want to introduce your kids to or have over for dinner.

Semantics aside, if one finds certain activities morally repugnant and abhorrent, especially public displays of same, you have an obligation to speak out against them and those who participate in them. Implicit in this kind of condemnation, is a judgement of those who engage in them. You can avoid directly condemning them by just addressing their behavior. But the personal condemnation of the participants is still there, even though implied. Doesn't matter how you dress it up.

And like the scene I describe above, once you stop holding the line, where does it all stop? It doesn't. You're in retreat and keep falling back on redoubt positions until you end up w/the SF scene and even worse.
I heartily concur with condemnation of such activities as you have witnessed. And renting that hotel room across the way with your binoculars in hand surely contributed to the morally repugnant responses ... Just kidding... :ymsmug: ...

Still, your response and experience is not the one I am observing in a joint Sunday meeting of adult LDS. Utah tends to be so insulated that you only see what you go find for yourself and a majority profess ignorance of the degree of depravity that you are commenting to having witnessed. So for the sake of the discussion I'll hang with what I observe as being sanctimonious to some degree.

On the other side of the coin, over the years I have known many of such preference. There is a militant arm in some small degree but for the most part in certain respects they are some of the nicest people I have known. I sorrow for the choices they make that will ultimately condemn them but a sinner is a sinner is a sinner and sadly, I be one too.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

investigator wrote: August 16th, 2017, 2:25 pm When does the virtue of tolerance become the sin of acceptance?
Every virtue, taken to the extreme, becomes a vice.

paid2play
captain of 10

Post by paid2play »

You can show love and kindness to others but you don't have to support their wickedness, my opinion is that it is wrong to support this in any manner. Yes Christ came to this earth to help the wicked ppl repent but I don't believe he supported any of their wickedness just to 'keep the peace'. In the temple did he not flip the tables over of the people in the temple who he thought was polluting his holy house?

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I have only one word for this statement by the church: appalling.

What is going on? Sometimes I feel the church is leaving me.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

larsenb wrote: August 16th, 2017, 2:21 pm

The public behavior being display was depraved to the max . . . but at the same time it did seem like a natural progression from the relatively tame scene I remember from the '70's . . . . and was dominated by multiple examples of a certain oral activities in plain view. Young men doing things in open windows and letting the resulting product spray out into the street below. Etc.

Semantics aside, if one finds certain activities morally repugnant and abhorrent, especially public displays of same, you have an obligation to speak out against them and those who participate in them. Implicit in this kind of condemnation, whether in private or public, is a judgement of those who engage in them. You can avoid directly condemning them by just addressing their behavior. But the personal condemnation of the participants is still there, even though implied. Doesn't matter how you dress it up.

I'm very conservative and I think the acts are terrible but the Church has drawn the line. It's not a sin to be tempted it's a sin to act on it. It's hard to compare it to other sins because most people engrossed in sin don't broadcast it like this movement does. Just because we are asked to love these people doesn't mean we accept the behavior. The brethren are reminding us on how we need to treat others. Having grown up in a small farming community in Idaho I have many hard beliefs but I am trying myself to see the benefit of working with people and not cast them out, we stand for truth but you have many members who need to understand the leaders of the church will work with them and their struggles much like the other sins that beset all of us. I am glad I don't have this challenge and probably 99% of the LGBT community don't see it a sin but there are kids for whatever reason need to know that having that attraction disqualifies them for the atonement otherwise they are lost, most likely for good.

All of this is difficult to deal with in these last days where wickedness abounds - one day we will live in a better world, and I am looking forward to it.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

In the Salt Lake/Utah media environment every news release sent out by the church is by definition news worthy.
Last edited by gkearney on August 16th, 2017, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

gkearney wrote: August 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm
In the Salt Lake/Utah media environment every new release sent out by the church is by definition news worthy.
Due to the fact that these announcements are vetted through the church leadership they can be a big statement. Elizabeth - do you disagree with the church's statement? If your not an active member or member at all I can understand an opposing view but otherwise it is what it is.

bbsion
captain of 100

Post by bbsion »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 16th, 2017, 3:48 pm
gkearney wrote: August 16th, 2017, 3:46 pm
In the Salt Lake/Utah media environment every new release sent out by the church is by definition news worthy.
Due to the fact that these announcements are vetted through the church leadership they can be a big statement. Elizabeth - do you disagree with the church's statement? If your not an active member or member at all I can understand an opposing view but otherwise it is what it is.
I'm an active member of the church and I disagree with the statement. :)

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 16th, 2017, 3:48 pm Due to the fact that these announcements are vetted through the church leadership they can be a big statement. Elizabeth - do you disagree with the church's statement? If your not an active member or member at all I can understand an opposing view but otherwise it is what it is.
Showing charity and understanding towards sinners is one thing. Endorsing a fundraiser for a gay advocacy group whose mission statement is to promote cultural change towards normalizing sin is entirely another. I don't understand why the church would do that. Maybe they didn't know where the proceeds were going?