Reasons to create a volunteer civilian review police board with subpoena powers

Discuss political news items / current events.
msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: nothing will change unless you take control

Postby msfreeh » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:05 pm

https://caseclosedbylewweinstein.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

911 Anthrax Report due this week

Sponsored Links

Advertisements

Medical Cost Sharing - It's not insurance it's better!

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:31 pm

http://www.bostonherald.com/news_opinio ... ing_charge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corvette Cop

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:26 pm

see link for full story

http://www.kesq.com/news/opinion-why-ar ... s/30319518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Loosies'?

Dec 19, 2014

The contents of your pocket gleam up at you from the Newport, Rhode Island sidewalk like a sarcastic wink. You sit on the curb, surrounded by police cars, cuffs slicing your wrists, passersby whispering. You've told the cops you're an FBI agent.

You are, of course, black.

You've heard folks say, "If black folks would just take responsibility, stop blaming slavery, maybe they wouldn't be getting arrested and killed in the numbers they are." But how much more personal responsibility can you take? You grew up without a dad and still became an undercover FBI agent.

After the above incident, M. Quentin Williams, author of the upcoming "A Survival Guide: How Not to Get Killed by the Police," went on to become a federal prosecutor, then in-house counsel for the NFL and NBA.

How much more responsibility could Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. have taken -- beyond becoming one of the world's pre-eminent intellectuals -- that would have stopped officers arresting him at his own front door?

How much more responsibility could President Barack Obama have taken -- beyond making history and achieving policy goals unrealized by his white predecessors -- that would stop some people from portraying him with a bone through his nose and calling him a terrorist?

Where was St. Louis County Prosecutor Bob McCulloch's personal responsibility to say, "call a prosecutor from the other side of the state to build the case against a local officer?" Where was the personal responsibility of Officer Daniel Pantaleo to stop choking Eric Garner when he kept saying he couldn't breathe? Why did he arrest him for the finable offense of selling loose cigarettes, or "loosies?"

It's racism, whether we want to admit it as a society or not, that says: "It's legal to kill unarmed black men." The people marching aren't making it up. This is real.

I know because I'm married to a black man. A man, who numerous times, has had an officer's gun on him, though he attended Harvard and has never been accused of committing a crime.

The impunity with which officers (and even members of the neighborhood watch) can brutalize and kill black people reeks of the past. I can't sleep thinking my mixed-race girls will grow up in a society that values their lives less than mine.

Still, I have friends and family who are officers. I see what they sacrifice to serve. I respect them and I need their protection. We have nowhere to go if each side paints the other with a broad and tainted brush. Dialogue is the only way forward. So I spoke to Williams, as well as to a white officer, Graham Campbell, a high school classmate of mine who became an NYPD officer in Harlem.

Campbell vouches convincingly for the vast majority of officers: "In the Academy, my lieutenant said to us: 'Ten percent of you are born to be officers. For 80%, this is a job. Ten percent of you are criminals.' "

Quentin Williams corroborates this: "Ninety-nine-point-nine percent of cops are good." He adds a caveat: "But there are bad cops, like in any other profession. You should be able to indict a bad officer. With video evidence, you (should) get an indictment probably 100% of the time."

"I don't think he meant to kill Eric Garner," Campbell says. "Guys say they can't breathe all the time, especially if there's a crowd. It's a tactic."

This difference in perception makes me curious: Is there racial tension within the police force itself? Campbell states, "There's no silent war between races on the job."

Williams parses the matter: A few minority officers "might put their heads in the sand, but from my experience, a vast majority understand the issues very well" and they're very concerned. But minority officers have to approach these issues with "some sensitivity" for fear of being "accused of using the 'race card,' " he said.

Campbell admits that occasionally, he would hear casual use of the word "animals." He elaborates: "No matter where you work, you're going to end up resenting that community because you play referee far more often than you end up playing police officer."

He adds: "There are criminal cops. I wouldn't hesitate to report them: Cops who abuse, cops who steal and do drugs. But a cop who ends up spinning scenes up? I might not want him at my crime scene ... but I'm not going to ask him to be indicted."

But isn't it criminal to lose control to the point of killing an unarmed citizen? Not indicting officers who kill the civilians they've vowed to protect sends a message that they're above the law they've sworn to enforce. To make matters worse, when black people protest injustice, they're further vilified.

The night of McCulloch's announcement of the Grand Jury decision, Campbell posted on Facebook that Ferguson dispatch said a white male with a flag bandana had set fire to a police car. Meanwhile, on the news, all I saw were images of black kids walking up to convenience stores with uncertain intent. Campbell acknowledges that the white male could have set fires to frame black protestors. We'll never know. The point is, white people overwhelmingly get the benefit of the doubt from our society, while black people's benefit to society gets doubted.

When pressed if he thinks profiling exists, Campbell replies, " If anything, it looks like white folks get the benefit of much more discretion. If you got locked up, you could have your parents call a high-powered attorney to get you out. ... Whereas if you're locked up in the bullpen with a public defender," it's a diferent story.

A racial double standard exists in policing practices. According to ProPublica, black men are 21 times more likely to be killed by police than white men. White America must face how its own prejudices inform whom they perceive as criminals and whom as victims.

Campbell nails the heart of where white and black America diverge: "In these discussions we don't have: 'If I stop a black guy on a drug block because I think he's buying, and he wasn't doing anything, it wounds his soul.' This is me doing my job. I don't think about the im

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:46 am

2 reads

Rogue Mexican police units leave trail of bodies, including U.S. citizens
BY TIM JOHNSON
McClatchy Foreign StaffDecember 19, 2014

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2014/12/19/2 ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Internal Affairs probing threat against Detroit officer

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/l ... /20696943/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:45 pm

The San Diego Police Department has rarely had a year as bad as 2014, when allegations of misconduct and other problems forced the departure of the veteran police chief. VOSD reporter Liam Dillon takes a look at what 2015 holds and finds that the police department has more hurdles to cross next year (http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/12/23/m ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as it tries to rebuild.

For one thing, a promised federal review of misconduct in the police department hasn’t come out yet, even though it was supposed to be done and released by the end of this year. There’s no word about why it’s been delayed.

Meanwhile, the city is still wrangling over how to boost salaries for cops to avoid their exodus to better pay at other law enforcement agencies. Then there’s the issue of the new body cameras for cops. We’ve been pushing the department to be more open about the video captured by these cameras, but the police don’t want to cooperate.

• KPBS provides more detail on the lack of a deal (http://www.kpbs.org/news/2014/dec/22/no ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; over cop pay.

For background on the police salary issue, take a look at our Fact Check of a claim (http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/09/24/f ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; regarding SDPD officer pay versus sheriff’s deputy pay and read why the city’s best bet (http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/11/19/t ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is to give veteran cops bigger raises.

• Sue Quinn, retired peace officer and first first elected president of the National Association for Civilian Oversight of Law Enforcement, writes in a VOSD commentary (http://voiceofsandiego.org/2014/12/22/p ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that the model relied on by the San Diego police review board has weaknesses: “If it gets most of its training from the department it oversees, the board may not recognize problems in investigations, or may not recognize when evidence is insufficient. Another potential problem: The board may be co-opted by the department it oversees.”

• The U-T examines newly released documents that offer insight (http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/dec ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; into the police department’s secretive new cell phone-monitoring technology: “The documents indicate, among other things, that the police department signed a nondisclosure agreement with the FBI that prohibits it from releasing information about the technology, and that officers do obtain a warrant before using the device to track cellphone signals.”

Here’s the city attorney’s documents (https://twitter.com/GerryBraun/status/5 ... 6-83528013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:29 pm

LAPD wrongly reclassified some serious crimes as minor, Times review finds

see link for full taxpayer deceptiondeception

http://www.latimes.com/local/crime/la-m ... tml#page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LAPD officials acknowledge errors in downgrading some crime incidents but offer no explanation for them
On a July night in 2013, a customer attacked cocktail waitress Alicia Alfaro in the face with a set of car keys outside the El Recreo Room in Cypress Park

"Half my face was covered in blood," said Alfaro, who bears a scar on her forehead. "My shirt and jeans were soaked in blood, too."

At the time, Los Angeles police recorded the assault as a serious offense, a decision that was in line with federal rules for classifying crime. It was later changed to a "simple assault," a switch that meant the attack was not included in the city's violent-crime statistics.

The Times reviewed dozens of cases the Los Angeles Police Department initially documented as serious but later downgraded to minor offenses. A third of the time, the decision to reclassify the incident was wrong, The Times concluded.

When presented with the findings, LAPD officials acknowledged the errors but offered no explanation for them.

LAPD announces reforms to boost accuracy of city crime statistics
LAPD announces reforms to boost accuracy of city crime statistics
"They should not have been reclassified," said Deputy Chief Kirk Albanese, who oversees the LAPD's detective bureau and reviewed the Times' analysis. "They should have been left as they were."

The errors raise new questions about the accuracy of LAPD crime statistics, which have come under scrutiny this year, criminal-justice experts said.

A Times investigation last summer found that the LAPD significantly understated the city's true level of crime when it misclassified nearly 1,200 violent crimes from a recent one-year period ending in September 2013.

In those cases, the missteps were made at the outset by station supervisors and clerks. But the new review involved cases that were downgraded from serious to minor crimes days or weeks after the crimes were initially recorded.

lRelated LAPD inappropriately downgraded aggravated assault
CRIME & COURTS
LAPD inappropriately downgraded aggravated assault

From data provided by the LAPD, The Times identified more than 300 cases that were reclassified in the one-year period analyzed for its earlier investigation.

The Times requested copies of reports on the crimes to assess the decision to reclassify. The department denied the request, saying the material was confidential. Through sources, The Times obtained records on 53 cases, which included violent crimes as well as burglaries, thefts and other property crimes. The Times determined that in 18 of the reviewed cases, the LAPD's decision to lower the offense from a serious crime category to a minor one was wrong,

Because the Times' review included only cases in which reporters were able to obtain.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

http://www.counterpunch.org/2014/12/26/ ... he-police/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DECEMBER 26-28, 2014

An Unaccountable Army
Police Violence and Violence Against the Police
by ROB URIE
On March 31, 2004, one year after the launch of the U.S. war against Iraq, four U.S. military contractors, mercenaries, were ambushed and killed in the Iraqi city of Fallujah and their charred corpses were hung from a bridge. The indignation expressed by the American political leadership and senior military officials was that their imperial privilege had been challenged— how dare the people whose country they had illegally invaded and substantially destroyed and whose relatives, neighbors and friends they had murdered fight back? The city of Fallujah was surrounded; women and small children were told to leave and then the slaughter began. White phosphorus and depleted uranium shells were dropped until thousands, possibly tens of thousands, of Iraqi boys and men in Fallujah had been murdered.

Left unsaid at the time was that most Americans subjected to an illegal war, invasion and occupation would respond largely as the citizens of Fallujah had done. Self-defense against invading hordes is as close to a natural right as the term could convey. The real crimes committed in / on Iraq were the war and occupation launched by the Americans and Brits. And the collective punishment visited upon the male citizens of Fallujah very closely resembled the acts that led to collective punishment being designated a war crime in the first place— the group slaughters regularly meted out by the Nazis in WWII for acts committed by unrelated individuals or groups. Today the Americans and Israelis (against Palestinians) are the main global keepers of the war crime tradition of collective punishment.

uriepix1

Picture (1) above: An NYPD motorcycle cop gratuitously rides his motorcycle over the leg of an NLG (National Lawyers Guild) legal observer at an Occupy Wall Street demonstration. The role of the police as armed thugs protecting the privilege of connected kleptocrats on Wall Street is framed in the language of the radical right as protecting ‘the public’ from over-privileged, elitist kids disrupting the public order. When former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who made his early career prosecuting Wall Street criminals, says that the police are concentrated in ‘high crime’ areas he fails to mention that any concentration of police in the financial districts of major U.S. cities is to protect financial criminals from being held accountable for their crimes. Source: Washington’s blog.

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg made explicit the military role of the police when he bragged that he had ‘the seventh biggest army in the world,’ the NYPD. Mr. Bloomberg claimed the NYPD to be ‘his’ army in 2011 as he was violently repressing the Occupy Wall Street movement. A short time after the comments were made the NYPD participated in a coordinated national assault against lawfully assembled protestors that included the total destruction of the Occupy library, kitchen and associated infrastructure. Through an ongoing campaign of violence, infiltration, disinformation, ‘pre-emptive’ kidnappings and legally dubious arrests the Occupy movement was effectively destroyed. Mr. Bloomberg made his fortune from Wall Street and he used ‘his’ army to prevent it from being held legally and socially accountable for its crimes.

When Ismaaiyl Brinsley murdered NYPD officers Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos in self-proclaimed revenge killings for the murders of Mike Brown and Eric Garner spokespersons for the NYPD and the PBA (Police Benevolent Association) were quick to personalize the victims while using the language of belligerent militarism to politicize the broader context of growing public resistance to police violence. What wasn’t expressed by NYPD spokespersons was any regret for the unjustifiable murder of Eric Garner or any number of other black and brown youth, for participation in systematic racial repression like stop-question-and-frisk or for the acting as an occupying army in poor neighborhoods of color. What was affirmed through the words of spokespersons for the police was that black lives don’t matter but that cop lives do.

uriepix2

Picture (2) above: The NYPD applies an illegal choke hold in the murder of Eric Garner. The allegation against Mr. Garner was that he was selling ‘loosey’ cigarettes, individual cigarettes on which applicable taxes were not paid. In the run-up to the Great Recession Wall Street made dubious, in many cases fraudulent, mortgage loans of over one-trillion dollars. The economic calamity that resulted cost millions of families their homes and millions more their jobs and life savings. The everyday business of U.S. corporations is avoiding hundreds of billions per year in tax liabilities through sham transactions. Eric Garner could in theory have sold loosey cigarettes for the next 500,000 years and not neared the annual tax avoidance of Apple Computer or General Electric had the police not murdered him. Source: ABC News.

The loss of any life through violence is tragic, which makes the police practice of casual, consequence-free, assault, murder and harassment so worthy of public condemnation. The contention put forward by PBA spokesperson Patrick Lynch that those protesting police violence have ‘blood on their hands’ leaves unaddressed the reasons why protestors are protesting— around the country heavily armed, militarized police routinely assault and murder people, largely black and brown youth, with impunity and largely without conscience. Seventy-six unarmed black and brown youth have been murdered by the police since 1999 and it is only the murder of two cops that raises the moral outrage of the police. And here lies irony— the protestors by-and-large have great sympathy for the families of the slain cops whereas, as best can be determined by the words and actions of the police, courts and political leadership, the imperial privilege of police to murder with impunity remains intact.

uriepix3

Picture (3) above: it has been nearly fifteen years since unarmed Amadou Diallo was murdered by the NYPD in a hail of bullets. In the intervening years the police across the country have murdered seventy-six unarmed people of color (link above), have been increasingly militarized, given the right to rob people of their possessions at will, made immune from prosecution for crimes committed and dedicated to systematic race-based repression like stop-and-frisk. The failure of the political leadership and the judiciary to hold the police accountable at any level demonstrates the political role that the police fill— that of an army of the rich existing to protect the ruling class from social accountability. Source: Life Magazine.

The existence of a heavily armed, highly militarized, wholly unaccountable army to protect a class and race based social order is totalitarian by degree— those on the side being repressed bear the brunt leaving the illusion of justice for those not paying attention. The one-sided response of the political leadership and police spokespersons to the tragic murder of Wenjian Liu and Rafael Ramos is evidence of the social order being protected. Left entirely unaddressed is the historical role of the police in maintaining an unjust race and class based social order from slave patrols to convict leasing to mass incarceration and for-profit prisons to class and race-based enforcement of selectively repressive laws. And to be clear, it is the political leadership that has designated and so-armed the police to be the quasi-military force they now are.

The mainstream press is claiming that the murders of Messrs. Liu and Ramos have reframed the protests against police violence to be against violence. Without disarming the police and changing their role from militarized guardians of ruling class interests to servants of all of the public it is difficult to see how opposing violence without opposing the existing role of the police is politically coherent? And reduction of the idea of justice to the will of the police is to accept the role they have been given in protecting class and race interests by a political leadership that straightforwardly answers to economic interests. Put differently, if fealty to the law had anything to do with the current role of the police then areas with high levels of criminal activity could be found in the financial towers of lower Manhattan and on Park and Madison Avenues just north of Forty-Second Street. As of a few days ago the NYPD was nowhere to be found enforcing the law in these locations.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 am

http://www.projectcensored.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:30 am

http://www.wsj.com/articles/senators-ra ... 1420048912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Senators Raise Concerns About Justice Department Scanning Cellphones
Letter From Top Democrat and Republican Sites Privacy Interests of Innocent Individuals

Dec. 31, 2014 1:01 p.m. ET

The top Democrat and Republican on the Senate Judiciary Committee are seeking answers from the Justice Department about how often and under what circumstances it uses secret devices to scan large numbers of cellphones to hunt for criminal suspects, saying that one agency recently changed its internal rules on when and how to use the technology.

In a Dec. 23 letter to Attorney General Eric Holder and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, Sens. Patrick Leahy (D., Vt.) and Charles Grassley (R., Iowa) said they have concerns about whether law-enforcement agencies “have adequately considered the privacy interests of other individuals who are not targets of the inception, but whose information is nevertheless being collected when these devices are used.’’

KMCopeland
captain of 1,000

Postby KMCopeland » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:23 pm

I wish it was easier to talk to you.
“If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth; only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.” C.S. Lewis

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:14 pm

KMCopeland wrote:I wish it was easier to talk to you.
imagine how I feel when I try to have a conversation with myself.
not easy,eh?

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:13 pm

http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Georgia police chief shoots wife on New Year's morning, officials say
Authorities say Georgia police chief accidentally shoots wife
A Georgia police chief called 911 in the Thursday morning and said he accidentally shot his wife in Peachtree City.

Georgia police chief under investigation after allegedly shooting his wife on New Year's morning
An Atlanta-area police chief has been suspended after shooting and critically wounding his wife in their bedroom with his service pistol early New Year's morning, officials said Thursday.

Peachtree City, Ga., police Chief William E. McCollom called 911 shortly after 4 a.m. to report that he'd accidentally shot his wife, Margaret McCollom, two times, according to a department news release and a televised news conference with state and local investigators Thursday afternoon

JANUARY 01, 2015

Margaret McCollom appears to have been shot one time, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, which is handling the investigation and will refer the case to the local county prosecutor's office for any possible criminal charges.

“Our role at this point is wait-and-see," said Fayette County Dist. Atty. Scott Ballard at the news conference, declining to say whether he believed a crime had been committed. “We have no leanings one way or another at this point because we just don’t know."

Margaret McCollom was initially hospitalized in critical condition, and officials declined to release an update on her condition Thursday afternoon.

Investigators said they had not

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:51 am

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20150 ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 am

Communities need to control their criminal justice system by setting and enforcing standards for the police, courts and prisons.

The voter and taxpayer is the primary consumer of the CJ System.
It is also the owner.

2 stories

http://www.mintpressnews.com/chicago-co ... version=on" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chicago Cops Accused Of Raping Man With A Gun
Angel Perez is suing the police department, claiming he was subjected to severe abuse to make him a drug informant.

December 31, 2014

Angel Perez, 32, is suing the Chicago Police Department for the sort of abuse, as journalist Rhania Khalek noted in Vice, that “sounds like a horror story from the days when crooked cop Jon Burge tortured the city’s citizens with impunity.”
Perez accuses Chicago cops of beating him and sodomizing him with a gun to force him to cooperate as drug informant in late 2012.
Perez spoke t

Morris police departments ask for community support
January 9 2015

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/news/l ... /21464129/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guido family of Roxbury displays a blue light in front of their home in support of law enforcement.
Local police departments are asking their residents to show their support Friday during National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day.
“In light of the recent negativity directed toward law enforcement nationally,” said Mount Olive Police spokesperson Officer Michael Russell, “There is a need to show law enforcement officers that our citizens recognize the difficult and sometimes impossible career they have chosen in public service to us all.”

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:48 pm

http://anthraxvaccine.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wednesday, July 22, 2015
CDC Director Calls for another COMPREHENSIVE REVIEW six months after the last one
(The subjects in my Cheer! below are among those mentioned by USAT on July 21, 2015--Nass)

The CDC cheer (or anthem)

When anthrax spores are flying through the halls, whaddaya do?

You know what to do: It's a Comprehensive Review!

If the House is holding a hearing, whaddaya do, whaddaya do?

If USA Today is demanding answers, whaddaya do?

When CDC hides Dugway's live spores, whaddaya do?

When 100 labs you regulate get cited, whaddaya do?

Do a Review!

Do a Review!

Do a Review!
Here is the last review of lab safety at CDC** also requested by the Director, dated January 13, 2015. The ink is barely dry. But since it was so much fun, why not do it again?

Posted: Jul 21, 2015 1:13 PM EDTUpdated: Jul 21, 2015 1:13 PM EDT

(USA TODAY) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is launching a comprehensive review of how it regulates safety and security at bioterror labs in the wake of an ongoing USA TODAY Media Network investigation that has prompted congressional probes into the agency’s effectiveness.
CDC Director Tom Frieden ordered the review last week as USA TODAY prepared to report on newly obtained documents showing that the agency’s inspectors have allowed labs to keep experimenting with bioterror pathogens despite failing to meet key requirements on inspection after inspection, sometimes for years. The action also comes as the agency faces a hearing in the House next week.
“This review will be wide-ranging and includes a review of regulatory authority and the exercise of that authority so that we can identify potential modifications to the methods used to inspect labs,” the CDC said in a statement this week...
“We hope this latest review signals that the agency is finally taking this issue seriously," the bipartisan leaders of the subcommittee and full committee said in a statement late Tuesday about CDC's examination of its lab inspection program. "While we applaud CDC’s intent to investigate this matter, previous assessments have failed to meaningfully address the root causes of why these safety lapses keep happening..."
And this story as reported by U Minnesota's CIDRAP
** from the earlier review: ** CDC lacks a culture of safety. Just 6 months ago, an advisory committee to the CDC Director issued its recommendations to improve safety at CDC. The report began with the following words: "Observation: Leadership commitment toward safety has been inconsistent and insufficient at multiple levels. Safety, including lab safety, is viewed by many as something separate from and outside the primary missions of public health and research."

The committee's final observation began: "We are very concerned that the CDC is on the way to losing credibility. The CDC must not see itself as "special." The internal controls and rules that the rest of the world works under also apply to CDC."

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:57 am

4 stories

link de jour

http://www.valdostadailytimes.com/news/ ... l?mode=jqm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bonus story

The FBI Agent Who Hunted N.W.A
Daily Beast
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... n-w-a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the late '80s, the FBI targeted the hip-hop group N.W.A for their
incendiary anthem “fudge tha Police,” and transformed the rappers into
First ...

http://thetrialofwhiteybulger.com/the-a ... fbi-13709/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Art of the Con: The Garner Museum and the FBI
August 14, 2015
I wrote how the FBI announced it had recovered a Stradivarius violin and that it told how it was praised by the Justice Department for its “outstanding work” when all its agents did was take custody of it from a violin appraiser who recognized it as having been stolen. I’ve mentioned this many times before that the FBI is in the business of fooling the American people which is all right since it has been doing that since J. Edgar Hoover took over back in 1924; the only time a problem arises is if it is fooling itself. Its job is too important for it to be doing that yet if it considers taking custody of a violin and transporting it back to its office “outstanding work” then we have an agency that is in big trouble.

Which brings me to the case of the 25-year-old Gardner Museum heist which is trending lately. This is because Carmen Ortiz has released a video of a man who visited the Gardner Museum the night before the grand theft saying the FBI agents: “are seeking the public’s assistance in identifying an unauthorized visitor to the museum the night before the theft.” Ortiz went on to explain that the car seen in the video fits the general description of the car seen outside the Gardner the night of the heist.

The FBI Considers The IRS & DOJ, Domestic Terrorists
Tyler Durden's picture
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 08/11/2015 22:30 -0400

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-08-1 ... terrorists" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Submitted by Thad Beversdorf via FirstRebuttal.com,

Eventually it was bound to happen. The ever increasing ambiguous laws
that allow the government to prosecute, or worse, simply negate all
Constitutional protections of its citizens would come back to hang
them. In an unusual circumstance, what is essentially one party in
D.C. when it comes to matters of covering up governmental criminality,
has split into a two party system. Specifically, a sect of the
Republican party known as Tea Partiers pushed unrelentingly to expose
the criminality acted upon members of its own tribe by various
government agencies.

The Tea Party was formed by a group of individuals around the country
who wanted to get back to the ideals of the Constitution i.e freedom.
But the Constitution is kryptonite to the system. And so those who
organize to promote the Constitution were targeted by the highest
levels of government. What better weapon to attack those whose
intention is to defend the Constitution than an unconstitutional
agency that has essentially unquestioned authority. After all it is
always unclear who watches the watchman. Well in this particular
case, the FBI and DOJ would seem to have jurisdiction over actions
consistent with those of the IRS.

Under the FBI’s own definition of a ‘Domestic Terrorist’ one MUST
consider the IRS to be a terrorist organization as evidenced by the
very recent discoveries surrounding the IRS’s own actions.

“Domestic terrorism” means activities with the following three
characteristics:

Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state
law;
Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or
coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass
destruction, assassination. or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S. …”

While the first characteristic seems to imply violence is necessary it
should be noted that under the FBI’s definition of ‘International
Terrorism’ they explicitly include ‘Violent acts’ within the
definition.

“International terrorism” means activities with the following three
characteristics:

Involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that violate
federal or state law;
Appear to be intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian
population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by
intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a
government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
Occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.,
or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they
are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or
coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek
asylum.*

The distinction of violence within the international but not domestic
definition is surely not an oversight. But by doing so it leaves open
the opportunity

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/inde ... s_jud.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Group on no-fly list wants judge to review FBI's terrorist predictions
plane.jpg
The ACLU accuses the U.S. government of violating the civil liberties
of 6 men that the FBI put on the no-fly list. ( The Oregonian file)
Bryan Denson | The Oregonian/OregonLive By Bryan Denson | The
Oregonian/OregonLive
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on August 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM, updated August 10, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Six men who sued the government for putting them on the U.S. no-fly
list want a Portland judge to review the way government officials
decided that they pose threats to commercial air travel or national
security.

Their lawyers, teaming up with the ACLU, filed court papers accusing
the U.S. Department of Justice of embarking on the "perilous endeavor"
of attempting to predict whether their clients – none charged with a
violent crime – might eventually commit an act of terrorism.

The government "offers no evidence whatsoever about the accuracy of
their predictive model, any scientific basis or methodology that might
justify it, or the extent to which it might result in errors

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:00 pm

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencen ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:21 pm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/ ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SEPTEMBER 06, 2015
George Perrot has spent 29 years in prison for a rape he always said
he did not commit. Until recently, it looked like he would die there.

Now, a single strand of hair stands between him and freedom. And that
slender manacle may just have been snapped by federal authorities.

Even if you believe he’s guilty — as Hampden County prosecutors say
they still do — there is plenty in Perrot’s case to trouble even the
hardest of hard-liners, to shake our trust in those who are supposed
to protect us.

Perrot was 17 in the fall of 1985. A series of horrendous attacks on
elderly women in Springfield had begun the previous year, and police
believed the crimes were connected. Some women were raped more than
once; on Nov. 30, one of them, aged 78, was raped for the third time
in 18 months.

Back then, Perrot was every parent’s nightmare, committing crimes and
using drugs. Early on the morning of Dec. 7, 1985, he was arrested for
breaking into a house in the 78-year-old’s (and his) neighborhood and
for snatching a purse at a nearby Denny’s. Because of the way he broke
into the house, investigators suspected he was also responsible for
all of the rapes.

View Story
FBI evidence often mishandled
A highly critical internal investigation discovered errors with nearly
half the pieces of evidence it reviewed.
Hair matches overstated in many cases

His attorneys say Perrot was incoherent and high during the
interrogation, which extended over 12 hours and was not recorded. The
minor had no parents or attorney present. At one point, Perrot began
to cry and asked for a gun so he could shoot himself. Prosecutors say
this suggested he knew he had been found out. Defense attorneys say it
showed he was exhausted and at the point where he would have agreed to
anything.

An hour later, prosecutors said, Perrot signed a confession saying he
had broken into the 78-year-old’s house on the night of the rape,
though he always denied the sexual assault. He has no recollection of
signing the confession, and says he wasn’t in the woman’s home.

There’s no getting around the fact that, without the falsely
incriminating power of that single hair, things would have gone very
differently.

Quote Icon
None of the three women attacked in those weeks, each of whom had been
raped before, picked Perrot out of a line-up (and tests on semen found
at the scene of another of the rapes excluded him). Defense attorneys
say the victims failed to pick him even though the line-up, which
included five easily-identifiable police officers, was highly
suggestive. None of the men in the line-up fit the description the
78-year-old had given. The woman had known Perrot, who lived on her
street, since he was small. She said her attacker was clean-shaven.
Perrot had a shaggy moustache and goatee.

George Perrot was tied to a rape by an FBI analysis of a strand of
hair, a method that has since been discredited.
George Perrot was tied to a rape by an FBI analysis of a strand of
hair, a method that has since been discredited.

“How can I say it was [Perrot]?” she said at trial. “This fellow [who
attacked me] didn’t have any beard. He didn’t have any mustache.”

A footprint left on an earlier rape victim’s door was not Perrot’s
size. A palm print found on the window of another rape victim’s house
he was initially accused of breaking into that night did not match
his. On the stand, the victim said somebody added a paragraph to her
statement after she signed it.

But the prosecution team said they had a strong link between Perrot
and the attack on the woman (he was charged only with that one rape),
something that proved he was in her bedroom that night. Though the
attack took place on the floor, investigators said they found

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:53 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2358891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two Florida deputies fired when exposed as customers of prostitute involved with police shooting

Sunday, September 13, 2015, 3:52 PM

Two Brevard deputies were fired after their connection with Mary Derossett were uncovered following a shootout at her home.
Previous Next

Two Brevard deputies were sacked after their connection with Mary Derossett were uncovered following a shootout at her home. Two Brevard deputies were sacked after their connection with Mary Derossett were uncovered following a shootout at her home. Two Brevard deputies were sacked after their connection with Mary Derossett were uncovered following a shootout at her home.

Two central Florida deputies were fired after being exposed as clients of a prostitute involved with a police shooting.

A Brevard County officer was critically shot on Aug. 20, while trying to arrest Mary Derossett during a prostitution sting operation. Her uncle, John Derossett opened fire during the arrest, hitting the undercover john, police said. The two were arrested following the gunfight, with Mary facing prostitution charges and John charged with attempted murder.

While investigating Mary's phone records and text messages, cops found her clients' names, including the two fired deputies, Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey said at a press conference on Sunday morning.

One deputy had been a 14-year veteran with the department, while the other served for almost two years. They both admitted to being Mary's customers, Ivey said.

"I am absolutely disgusted and sickened by two people that took the oath and office to protect our citizens, violated their oath, and quite frankly, did everything they could to embarrass

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 am

http://www.globalresearch.ca/veteran-in ... re/5476131" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Veteran Intelligence Professionals Challenge CIA’s “Rebuttal” on Torture
By Washington's Blog
Global Research, September 15, 2015
Washington's Blog 14 September 2014
Region: USA
Theme: Intelligence

MEMORANDUM FOR: The President

FROM: Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity (VIPS)

SUBJECT: Veteran Intelligence Professionals Challenge CIA’s “Rebuttal” on Torture

Former CIA leaders responsible for allowing torture to become part of the 21st Century legacy of the CIA are trying to rehabilitate their tarnished reputations with the release of a new book, Rebuttal: The CIA Responds to the Senate Intelligence Committee’s Study of Its Detention and Interrogation Program. They are pushing the lie that the only allegations against them are from a partisan report issued by Democrats from the Senate Intelligence Committee.

We recall the answer of General John Kimmons, the former Deputy Director of Operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who was asked if good intelligence could be obtained from abusive practices. He replied: “I am absolutely convinced the answer to your first question is no. No good intelligence is going to come from abusive practices. I think history tells us that. I think the empirical evidence of the last five years, hard years, tell us that.”

But the allegation that the CIA leaders were negligent and guilty was not the work of an isolated group of partisan Democrat Senators. The Senate Intelligence report on torture enjoyed bipartisan support. Senator John McCain, for example, whose own encounter with torture in North Vietnamese prisons scarred him physically and emotionally, embraced and endorsed the work of Senator Feinstein. It was only a small group of intransigent Republicans, led by Saxby Chambliss, who obstructed the work of the Senate Intel Committee.

Indeed, some of us witnessed firsthand during the administration of President George W. Bush that the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence were virtually paralyzed from conducting any meaningful oversight of the CIA and the U.S. Intelligence Community by the Republican members of these committees. Instead, they pursued the clear objective of protecting the Bush administration from any criticism for engaging in torture during the “War on Terror.”

It is curious that our former colleagues stridently denounce the work of the Senate Intelligence Committee but are mute with respect to an equally damning report from the CIA’s own inspector general, John Helgerson, in 2004.

Helgerson’s report, “Counterterrorism Detention and Interrogation Activities (September 2001-October 2003),” was published on May 7, 2004, and classified Top Secret. That report alone is damning of the CIA leadership and it is important to remind all about the specifics of those conclusions. According to the CIA’s own inspector general:

–The Agency’s detention and interrogation of terrorists has provided intelligence that has enabled the identification and apprehension of other terrorists and warned of terrorist plots planned in the United States and around the world. . . . The effectiveness of particular interrogation techniques in eliciting information that might not otherwise have been obtained cannot be so easily measured however.

–In addition, some Agency officials are aware of interrogation activities that were outside or beyond the scope of the written DOJ opinion. Officers are concerned that future public revelation of the CTC Program is inevitable and will seriously damage Agency officers’ personal reputations, as well as the reputation and effectiveness of the Agency itself.

–By distinction the Agency-especially in the early months of the Program-failed to provide adequate staffing, guidance, and support to those involved with the detention and interrogation of detainees . . .

–The Agency failed to issue in a timely manner comprehensive written guidelines for detention and interrogation activities. . . .Such written guidance as does exist . . . is inadequate.

–During the interrogation of two detainees, the waterboard was used in a manner inconsistent with the written DOJ legal opinion of 1 August 2002.

–Agency officers report that reliance on analytical assessments that were unsupported by credible intelligence may have resulted in the application of EITs without justification.

The CIA’s Inspector General makes it very clear that there was a failure by the CIA leaders, who include Director of Central Intelligence George Tenet, Deputy Director of Central Intelligence John McLaughlin, Counter Terrorism Center Chief Cofer Black, Counter Terrorism Center Chief Jose Rodriguez and the Director Directorate of Operations James L. Pavitt. Lack of proper guidance and oversight created fertile soil for subsequent abuses and these men were guilty of failing to properly do their jobs.

We do not have to rely solely on the report of the CIA’s Inspector General. In addition, the Report by the Senate Armed Services Committee on Detainee Treatment reached the same conclusions about

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:20 pm

http://www.sfchronicle.com/crime/articl ... 512279.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Officers charged in South Bay inmate death texted of prior abuse

September 17, 2015 Updated: September 17, 2015 4:35pm
Rafael Rodriguez, left, Jereh Lubrin, center, and Matthew Farris, right, are the three Santa Clara County correctional officers accused of killing inmate Michael Tyree. Rafael Rodriguez, left, Jereh Lubrin, center, and Matthew Farris, right, are the three Santa Clara County correctional officers accused of killing inmate Michael Tyree.
Starkly contrasting pictures are emerging of the correctional officers charged with the beating death of a mentally ill Santa Clara County jail inmate last month, as lawyers from both sides filed motions over whether the three defendants should be eligible for bail.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:49 pm

http://fortune.com/2015/09/17/the-fbis- ... te-sector/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FINANCE PRIVATE EQUITY
The FBI's top techie is headed to the private sector

SEPTEMBER 17, 2015, 12:32 PM

Photograph by Brendan Smialowski — AFP/Getty Images
Jerry Pender takes a job with investment firm Z Capital Partners, after more than a decade with the FBI.

Jerry Pender has spent the past three years as chief information officer and executive assistant director of the FBI, where he managed a $1.2 billion budget and oversaw “all aspects” of the Bureau’s global information technology operations. Before that, the former U.S. Army captain was CIO of the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services division.

But Pender is now leaving public service, recently agreeing to join Z Capital Partners as a full-time operating partner. He will help the New York-based private equity firm identify new investment opportunities, with a particular emphasis on cybersecurity.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:30 pm

FBI refuses to cooperate in Hillary Clinton email server probe

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ate-serve/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillary Rodham Clinton turned over about 30,000 email messages in December, while her aides turned over more than 100,000 pages between them, with the final set only being returned, by Huma Abedin, earlier this month, the State Department said in ... more >

Clinton Promises to Defend Health Care Law (Associated Press)
Washington Times

00:00 / 01:14
By Stephen Dinan - The Washington Times - Monday, September 21, 2015
The FBI refused to cooperate Monday with a court-ordered inquiry into former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s email server, telling the State Department that they won’t even confirm they are investigating the matter themselves, much less willing to tell the rest of the government what’s going on.

Judge Emmet G. Sullivan had ordered the State Department to talk with the FBI and see what sort of information could be recovered from Mrs. Clinton’s email server, which her lawyer has said she turned over to the Justice Department over the summer.

L

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:15 pm

pm ET
Sep 25, 2015
Courts
Spy Court Recruits Outside Lawyer in Phone-Records Case
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/09/25/spy ... ords-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The federal courthouse in Washington, D.C., houses the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court occupies a super secure space inside the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, behind a biometric hand-scanner and wood-and-metal doors that seal into the walls.

The secret courtroom has been forbidden to all but the government officials seeking warrants in national-security investigations. But it may soon admit an outsider.

The spy court recently appointed Washington, D.C., lawyer Preston Burton to weigh in on whether the government can retain millions of telephone records that it has collected in bulk since at least 2006, in light of a law Congress passed in June phasing out the intelligence program. (The government has said the records don’t include content of calls, only call details such as numbers dialed and duration.)

The government used to have the spy court to itself. But the USA Freedom Act, as the law passed in June is called, requires the FISC to appoint a group of outside lawyers to argue opposite the government in cases deemed by the court to present a novel or significant legal issue. The court can also

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 am

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/nsa-de ... n-doj-oig/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FBI and DEA under review for use of NSA mass surveillance data

Sep 29, 2015, 7:00am CT | Last updated Sep 29, 2015, 7:54am CT

The Justice Department is investigating the FBI’s use of information taken directly from mass surveillance conducted by the National Security Agency (NSA)’s collection of telephone metadata.

The yield of that NSA spying program was described by a judge as a “staggering” amount of data when the agency's ability to collect it was struck down as illegal in court earlier this year. The program was resumed in June and will run until at least December.

Another ongoing Justice Department investigation is examining the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)'s use of “parallel construction."

Parallel construction is a controversial investigative technique that takes information gained from sources like the NSA's mass surveillance, covers up or lies about the sources, and then utilizes them in criminal investigations inside the United States. The information was passed to other federal agencies like the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

The technique was described as “decades old, a bedrock concept” by a DEA official.

Critics at the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) described the technique as "intelligence laundering" designed to cover up "deception and dishonesty" that ran contrary to the original intent of post-9/11 surveillance laws.

Both the FBI and DEA, which operate under the jurisdiction of the Justice Department, are under review by the department’s Office of Inspector General (OIG). The details of the NSA’s mass metadata collection program were first publicly revealed in 2013 by contractor Edward Snowden. The DEA’s use of parallel construction was revealed by Reuters a few months later.

The OIG is charged with identifying and investigating fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement. Although OIG reports cannot on their own force change, detailed information is always shared with Congress and often the public which can lead to the investigated party agreeing to the suggested changes and conclusions from the OIG or other entities.

The NSA sent daily metadata reports to the FBI from at least 2006 to 2011, according to the director of national intelligence.

The ongoing review will examine how the FBI processed the NSA’s information, how much information was passed along, and the results of the initiated investigations.

The NSA’s mass collection of telephone metadata was thought to be authorized under Section 215 of the Patriot Act. Both the George W. Bush and Barack Obama administrations argued for and renewed authorization until the program expired in Congress earlier this year.

The Justice Department’s Office of Inspector General is also investigating the FBI’s use of Patroit Act Section 215 from 2012 to 2014 that allowed it to obtain “any tangible thing” from any business or entity as part of investigations against international terrorism or spying.

A previous investigation revealed that every single Section 215 application submitted by the FBI to the secretive Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISA) was approved.

That amount data collected was a “staggering” amount of information, Judge Gerard E. Lynch wrote in his decision. “Such expansive development of government repositories of formerly private records would be an unprecedented contraction of the privacy expectations of all Americans.”

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:38 am

2. Stories

Federal prosecutors are conducting an internal review of criminal cases involving an FBI agent facing a charge of public lewdness.

U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. ordered the review after Special Agent John A. Yervelli was arrested Friday night by state police.

Troopers said they received a report from a truck driver that Yervelli made lewd gestures toward him while not wearing pants and driving on the Thruway in Eden.

Yervelli, 48, of Lake View, faces up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted of the misdemeanor charge.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:43 am

Two stories

Ex FBI agent: 'Lessons to be learned' to prevent shooting tragedies
Today.com- Oct 2 2015
Don Borelli, a former assistant special agent with the FBI, tells TODAY's Savannah Guthrie that the main priorities in the wake of the Oregon ...

http://www.today.com/video/ex-fbi-agent ... 7156163759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Driving without pants leads to charge against FBI ... - The Buffalo News
http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 0/.../1174" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dec 10, 2012 - Federal prosecutors are conducting an internal review of criminal cases involving an FBI agent facing a charge of public lewdness.

Driving without pants leads to ch

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:27 am

http://anthraxvaccine.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saturday, October 3, 2015
WaPo Claims it is Too Dangerous for Presidential Candidates to Discuss the Vaccine Sacred Cow
Several Republican Presidential candidates (Donald Trump, Dr. Ben Carson and Dr. Rand Paul) were asked in the debate September 16 about their opinion of whether vaccines are linked to autism. Trump said yes, vaccines cause autism. He gave examples of his employees whose normal children regressed into autism shortly after a vaccination.

Dr. Ben Carson, a retired pediatric neurosurgeon, hedged. Vaccines are good, but not always for everybody. Quoted in the WaPo, Carson said:

“Vaccines are very important,” Carson said, before qualifying: “Certain ones. The ones that would prevent death or crippling. There are others, there are a multitude of vaccines which probably don’t fit in that category, and there should be some discretion in those cases.”

Dr. Rand Paul, an ophthalmologist, is all for vaccines, "But I'm also for freedom." Both he and Trump think vaccines should be spread out. Trump wants "smaller doses over a longer period of time." Carson seemed to agree with this. "It is true that we are probably giving way too many in too short a period of time," he said. "And a lot of pediatricians now recognize that, and, I think, are cutting down on the number and the proximity in which those are done, and I think that's appropriate."

CBS has posted video and transcribed this part of the vaccine debate.

Stop the presses. Three Presidential candidates (2 who are MDs) share the view that too many vaccines are given too close together. Not every vaccine needs to be forced on every child. Yet they like vaccines. They feel they could be used more wisely.

I share this opinion, as do tens of millions of Americans.

But the Washington Post published a hatchet piece criticizing the three candidates' answers. The WaPo piece was titled "GOP's dangerous 'debate' on vaccines and autism." Wow. A subject too dangerous to debate. Really? Why is this discussion dangerous?

Because WaPo, mainstream media and the nanny state are intent on controlling the vaccine debate. They want the debate limited to two positions only: CDC staff and hand-picked "experts" who favor vaccine mandates for all, on the one hand, and the ignorant "crazies" who are against all vaccines for everyone, on the other.

The media (and especially the WaPo) are doing their darnedest to pretend the reasonable middle ground in the vaccine debate does not exist. In this case, they are trying to silence three Presidential candidates, two of whom happen to be physicians and probably more knowledgeable than WaPo journalist Michael Miller.

The media have created a straw dog: an ignorant, anti-science caricature that the media can then disparage and destroy. It has to be all or nothing: you favor all vaccines always, or no vaccines, never. Reasonable findings, facts and and opinions will not be allowed in this debate. They are too dangerous. Better to deny them any hint of legitimacy. Sharyl Atkisson recently wrote about this.

But now three Presidential candidates have carved out similar turf for themselves: talking about a more reasoned vaccine policy. Presumably they don't think their opinion will be as problematic for the voters as for the Post.

A significant minority of Americans think that vaccines may have something to do with autism, or other neurologic impairments in children. A 2011 Harris poll discussed in USNews found that only 52% of Americans were sure vaccines did not cause autism. The rest of us are not so sure...

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) got into the act, tweeting shortly after the Presidential debate: "Vaccines are safe. Vaccines are effective. Vaccines save lives." Well, AAP, you may represent the pediatricians of America, but it is high time you learned that vaccines are drugs--according to FDA--and all drugs are safe to a degree, effective to a degree, and kill some people, sometimes. If all were safe all the time, why would we need doctors to prescribe them? AAP, be careful you don't tweet yourself out of a job.

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:37 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.2385301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

California woman suing city after video captures cop slugging her in face during arrest

Monday, October 5, 2015, 8:57 AM A
A 40-year-old mother is suing the city of Carlsbad, Calif., believing one of its police officers was out-of-line punching her in the face during a 2013 arrest, court records show.

A video from Cindy Hahn’s most “horrific day,” appears to show a Carlsbad cop slugging the screaming woman in front of her children, ages 7 and 11, as he and another cop struggled to pin her to the ground.

“I can feel hands on me. It’s the weirdest feeling,” Hahn told KCAL-TV of her July 31 encounter with law enforcement.

The take-down all began when Hahn left a birthday party and encountered police officers flashing their cruiser lights next to a car blasting an alarm, she detailed in documents.

“He says, ‘Is this your car?’ And I said, ‘No, sir.’ And he says, ‘Then mind your own f---ing business,’" Hahn told the TV station.

Her next reaction was to complain on a non-emergency police hotline. He pulled her over moments later on an alleged seatbelt violation and arrested Hahn as her children watched.

A video of Cindy Hahn's arrest shows a police officer raising a closed fist to punch her.

Video of the arrest shows a cop punching Hahn’s face with a closed fist as she repeatedly cries out “help me.”

She claims in court documents to be suffering from permanent memory loss and brain trauma from the ordeal.

Moments later, a second officer masked by a motorcycle helmet is shown hiking down Hahn’s pink dress while helping her up.

The video’s release apparently led to charges of resisting arrest and battery on a police officer against Hahn to be dropped, but the violent confrontation and falsification of police reports still merits a lawsuit, she believes.

Hahn’s father, a former police officer, believes the lawsuit is justified.

CBS LOS ANGELES
Cindy Hahn, of Valencia, Calif., claims she was punched in the face by a police officer during a July 31, 2013 arrest.
“There was no need to punch her

msfreeh
Level 34 Illuminated

Postby msfreeh » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 pm

msfreeh wrote:2. Stories

ifth-graders' tour opens eyes to career opportunities at FBI
Arkansas Online-Oct 3, 2015
Special Agent Ryan Kennedy shows a bomb-blast helmet to fifth-graders from Gibbs Elementary School during the students' field trip to the FBI's Little ... the FBI is struggling in some areas to find young people who can pass ...

Federal prosecutors are conducting an internal review of criminal cases involving an FBI agent facing a charge of public lewdness.

U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul Jr. ordered the review after Special Agent John A. Yervelli was arrested Friday night by state police.

Troopers said they received a report from a truck driver that Yervelli made lewd gestures toward him while not wearing pants and driving on the Thruway in Eden.

Yervelli, 48, of Lake View, faces up to 30 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted of the misdemeanor charge.

Return to “News”