Is this one of the reasons the Prophets have ...

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Rand
captain of 1,000

Is this one of the reasons the Prophets have ...

Post by Rand »

encouraged us to read the Book of Mormon seriously and daily?
"Thus, just as there will be many more Church members, families, wards, stakes, and temples—later on, there will also be many more nourishing and inspiring scriptures. However, we must first feast worthily upon that which we already have!" Neal A. Maxwell, Oct 1986 GC "God will yet reveal"

If we don't use that which we have been given, we cannot get more?

Not only is it a protection now, but it is also the portal to greater and "nourishing and inspiring scriptures."

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Re: Is this one of the reasons the Prophets have ...

Post by Arenera »

Rand wrote: February 12th, 2018, 5:32 am encouraged us to read the Book of Mormon seriously and daily?
"Thus, just as there will be many more Church members, families, wards, stakes, and temples—later on, there will also be many more nourishing and inspiring scriptures. However, we must first feast worthily upon that which we already have!" Neal A. Maxwell, Oct 1986 GC "God will yet reveal"

Not only is it a protection now, but it is also the portal to greater and "nourishing and inspiring scriptures."
See Ether 3, 4.

gigarath24
captain of 100

Post by gigarath24 »

It is in my own personal opinion that the reason that we are asked to read the Book of Mormon daily is the same reason that we have been asked to read the scriptures daily. That is that it invites the spirit. Until a prophet states otherwise, it is mere speculation. Having said this, I believe that personal revelation is unto itself scripture for our own lives akin to the same level as our Patriarchal Blessing should be treated as scripture. It is important to note that items such as our Patriarchal Blessing is to only be shared with those that the spirit impresses at the time that we should share them, not spoken verbatim from a pulpit. We as members, esp. those of us who hold the priesthood have the rights and blessings of personal revelation, but that it should never be preached as a revelation unto the people as a whole. I am not saying that you are mistaken, all I am saying is that don't allow yourself to be in such a hurry for more scripture than what the Lord wishes to reveal to us at this time.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

I didn't realize my statement would come across as being in a "hurry". Gigarath, you said: "Until a prophet states otherwise, it is mere speculation." I can't agree with this. It may not be doctrine, but that does not make it speculation. It can be perfectly true, and indeed, "for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not." If I receive revelation, even personal revelation by the Spirit, it is truth. It may not be doctrine, but it is truth. I should be cautious how I share it, because it is not wise to "Cast your pearls before the swine", not because it is not true, but it was for me, not for everyone else. It is not doctrine, but that doesn't diminish its truthfulness.

Arenara, good references! "6 For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord.

7 And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are."

Indeed, we are promised more, when we are worthy. I see nothing wrong with looking forward to that possibility, as long as I don't look beyond the mark nor ignore the gift that has been given, and cherish it and use it wisely.

gigarath24
captain of 100

Post by gigarath24 »

Rand wrote: March 21st, 2018, 10:15 pm I didn't realize my statement would come across as being in a "hurry". Gigarath, you said: "Until a prophet states otherwise, it is mere speculation." I can't agree with this. It may not be doctrine, but that does not make it speculation. It can be perfectly true, and indeed, "for the Spirit speaketh the truth and lieth not." If I receive revelation, even personal revelation by the Spirit, it is truth. It may not be doctrine, but it is truth. I should be cautious how I share it, because it is not wise to "Cast your pearls before the swine", not because it is not true, but it was for me, not for everyone else. It is not doctrine, but that doesn't diminish its truthfulness.

Arenara, good references! "6 For the Lord said unto me: They shall not go forth unto the Gentiles until the day that they shall repent of their iniquity, and become clean before the Lord.

7 And in that day that they shall exercise faith in me, saith the Lord, even as the brother of Jared did, that they may become sanctified in me, then will I manifest unto them the things which the brother of Jared saw, even to the unfolding unto them all my revelations, saith Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Father of the heavens and of the earth, and all things that in them are."

Indeed, we are promised more, when we are worthy. I see nothing wrong with looking forward to that possibility, as long as I don't look beyond the mark nor ignore the gift that has been given, and cherish it and use it wisely.
Rand,
I must apologize. At the time I wrote my post I was watching videos concerning individuals who were advocating for Christopher Nemelka's sealed portion and the lost 116 pages. So when I read your post, I read it in that context. So what I am saying is that my comment wasn't directed at you per se, but just that faithful Latter-day Saints should approach this topic with caution.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

Arenera wrote: February 12th, 2018, 9:13 am
Rand wrote: February 12th, 2018, 5:32 am encouraged us to read the Book of Mormon seriously and daily?

See Ether 3, 4.
See Mosiah 9, 10.

I AM
captain of 1,000

Post by I AM »

first and foremost - the reason is that
we are still under condemnation for treating the Book of Mormon lightly.
This is the reason why we have not received more of the word of the Lord (sealed portion).

D&C 84:
57 And they shall remain under this condemnation
until they repent and remember the new covenant,
even the Book of Mormon and the former
commandments which I have given them,
not only to say, but to do according to
that which I have written—

WHEN we members stop thinking we are ALWAYS in the right
and can do no wrong, and start heeding the warnings that are in Isaiah and
the Book of Mormon for us, maybe than, and ONLY then
will the Lord lift the condemnation that we have been under for so many years
and come to the truth and be saved from the tribulations
that are coming upon us.

"And upon my house shall it begin"
D&C 112:24-26
24 Behold, vengeance cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of desolation, of weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.

25 And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth,
saith the Lord;

26 First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my name and have not known me, and have blasphemed against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.

Very few members will be left after the cleansing
and will be (allowed) to "assist" the remnants of Jacob,
and House of Israel who's land this has been given to;
to build the New Jerusalem and be numbered with them.

“I told the brethren that the
Book of Mormon was the most correct of
any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion,
and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by
its precepts, than by any other book.”
Joseph Smith

So WHY do we have it ?
Yes, it testifies of Jesus Christ.
But isn't it also in hopes that we
Gentiles (our church and it members
and people living in this country)
wouldn't make the same mistakes as they did.
The Book of Mormon, D&C, Isaiah are full
of warnings for us.
But we won't listen,
And they tell of our imminent fate
and impending doom just like the
people in the Book of Mormon.

It's sad that so few members of the church
really READ and understand our scriptures.
Because they really DO show our (the church)
shortcomings and warn us of them.
But we do not give heed to them.
And the scriptures also say that we wouldn't.
Why do we always think that the parts in our
scriptures that warn or condemn or say
we are not living up to what we need to,
are always for the other guy, non-members.
Even our great prophet Ezra T. Benson
has said that we were under condemnation
for treating the Book of Mormon lightly.
“If the early Saints were rebuked for treating
the Book of Mormon lightly, are we under any less
condemnation if we do the same?”
(in Conference Report, Oct. 1986, 4;
or Ensign, Nov. 1986, 4–5).
D&C 84:
54 And your minds in times past have been darkened
because of unbelief, and because you have treated
lightly the things you have received—

55 Which vanity and unbelief have brought the
whole church under condemnation.

56 And this condemnation resteth upon
the children of Zion, even all.

57 And they shall remain under this condemnation
until they repent and remember the new covenant,
even the Book of Mormon and the former
commandments which I have given them,
not only to say, but to do according to
that which I have written—
--------------------------------------------------------------
Doctrine and Covenants
Section 101:
6 Behold, I say unto you, there were jarrings,
and contentions, and envyings, and strifes,
and lustful and covetous desires among them;
therefore by these things they polluted their inheritances.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also these scriptures DO include us. "lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations,"
Isaiah 4:4 2 Nephi 14:4 "When the Lord shall have washed away the filth of the daughters of Zion, and shall have purged the blood of Jerusalem from the midst thereof by the spirit of judgment, and by the spirit of burning. " Isaiah 52:2 "Shake thyself from the dust; arise, sit down, O Jerusalem: loose thyself from the bands of thy neck, O captive daughter of Zion."
These scriptures refer to us. members.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Why as members do we always feel that
the sun revolves around us.
Just because we have the restored gospel.
That, just as the children of Abraham said:
"we are the children of Abraham that God
has covenanted with and that he would bless
his seed forever."
Us members say -
"We have the restored gospel and it will
never be taken from the earth again."

Matthew 3:9 (KJV)
9 And think not to say within yourselves,
We have Abraham to our father:
for I say unto you, that God is able
of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

It won't be taken from the earth again.
The Lord will take it FROM us.
The power and authority is now going
back to the House of Israel.

Isaiah 49:3 1 Nephi 21:3
3 And said unto me, Thou art my servant,
O Israel, in whom I will be glorified.

We had our chance.
The gospel and the power and authority is now
going back to the House of Israel

"I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them."
3 Nephi 16:10,11,12
10 And thus commandeth the Father that I should say unto you: At that day when the Gentiles shall sin against my gospel, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, and shall be lifted up in the pride of their hearts above all nations, and above all the people of the whole earth, and shall be filled with all manner of lyings, and of deceits, and of mischiefs, and all manner of hypocrisy, and murders, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, and of secret abominations; and if they shall do all those things, and shall reject the fulness of my gospel, behold, saith the Father,

I will bring the fulness of my gospel from among them.

11 And then will I remember my covenant which I have made unto my people, O house of Israel, and I will bring my gospel unto them.
12 And I will show unto thee, O house of Israel, that the Gentiles shall not have power over you; but I will remember my covenant unto you, O house of Israel, and ye shall come unto the knowledge of the fulness of my gospel.

There are so many scriptures that show
and tell of our imminent fate and impending doom.

Very few members will be left after the cleansing
and will be (allowed) to "assist" the remnants of Jacob,
and House of Israel who's land this has been given to;
to build the New Jerusalem and be numbered with them.

3Nephi 21:
22 But if they will repent and hearken unto my words, and harden not their hearts, I will establish my church among them, and they shall come in unto the covenant and be numbered among this the remnant of Jacob, unto whom I have given this land for their inheritance;

23 And they shall assist my people, the remnant of Jacob, and also as many of the house of Israel as shall come, that they may build a city, which shall be called the New Jerusalem.