[Deleted]

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Re: There is no great and abominable church

Post by Durzan »

lundbaek wrote: February 5th, 2018, 10:16 am Well founded opinions, I'll have you know.
Your Milage May Vary. Some may get some good out of such books, but that doesn't mean that said opinions are fact. Each of us interpret the scriptures in our own unique ways, and only the Spirit can correct said views.

I wouldn't put too much stock in them, other than a "this is what the author thinks, based off of certain perceived evidences."

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

I would say that the Catholic Church lines up with the prophecies pretty closely. May be just all a coincidence. But it would be a good place for an Antichrist to thrive. He would start out with a billion followers the day he was sworn in.

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

So to the OP's point, the subject of this thread should be " There is no great and abominable church...yet." That said, I don't totally agree that there have not been manifestations of this church throughout time. Note that the angel said, "Behold there ARE save two churches only; the one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil;" This was stated as a general standing fact. Many prophecies have multiple fulfillments. There will be an antichrist role in the end times but there have been many antichrists throughout time and we see several of them in the Book of Mormon each with different degrees of power and influence.

In that same vein, I think we'll see an organization or group that perhaps fulfilled each one of those points of prophecy, or perhaps each point may have multiple fulfillments by various organizations throughout the ages instead of all being fulfilled in a short space of time by a particular organization. I think there are a couple ways to look at this.

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

:ugeek:
Last edited by LukeAir2008 on February 7th, 2018, 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

simpleton
captain of 1,000

Post by simpleton »

It's funny how explicitly plain it is described in Nephi's grand vision of a good 2600 plus years and yet because we are so ingrained to be "politically correct" we refuse to apply prophecies where they belong if they do not conform to our minds that look at life through " dark glasses". I think that the "Great Whore" has been so successful in integrating herself into society that the vast majority of mankind are blind to who she truly is. After all how does the master of deception work? We are greatly blessed to have received that most beautiful record, "the book of Mormon" in the which he most plainly describes that "church of the Devil" and which he also describes the "church of the Lamb of God" (two churches only). We gladly claim to be part of or have membership In the church of the Lamb, (COJCOLDS), but refuse to recognize his explicitly plain description of the church of the devil. Some say it is not a church, but is corrupted government. If that is the case, then what is righteous government the church of the Lamb?
But then again to each his own, if we all believed exactly the same we wouldn't have anything to fight and argue over...😄

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

again, it makes more sense that the great and abomitable church is a secret combination rather than a public organization. they'd have more influence that way. I would be willing to bet however, that they do have thick tendrills in the Catholic Church.

However, i wouldn't call the catholic church itself the great and abomitable church.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Durzan wrote: February 6th, 2018, 8:55 am again, it makes more sense that the great and abomitable church is a secret combination rather than a public organization. they'd have more influence that way. I would be willing to bet however, that they do have thick tendrills in the Catholic Church.

However, i wouldn't call the catholic church itself the great and abomitable church.
A church is a congregation of people united by a belief system and perhaps even ceremonies or rituals. Gadiantons.
Ether 8:20 And now I, Moroni, do not write the manner of their oaths and combinations, for it hath been made known unto me that they are had among all people, and they are had among the Lamanites.

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

D&C 10: 67 Behold, this is my doctrine—whosoever repenteth and cometh unto me, the same is my church.
Everyone else belongs to the great and abdominal church. Remember, there are only two churches. We either belong to one or the other.