Recreational use of...

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Crackers
captain of 100

Re: Recreational use of...

Post by Crackers »

Sarah wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 2:08 pm When it comes to man's laws, what are the moral absolutes? I'm sure even for a Libertarian, he wouldn't believe in absolute freedom. He would support laws forbidding certain behaviors that harm life and property. So then we come to children's rights. Do they have any other rights than to not be killed? They cannot take care of themselves, so you have to have a law that makes someone accountable for their survival, and that would be the parents. And so then you have to throw in laws that recognize parents and their duties towards their children. Marriage is a fine institution for government to recognize as it benefits society as a whole and regulates parents and children. If parents cannot take care of their children appropriately because of irresponsible behaviors, including those caused by various substances that we know have been refined and produced by evil and conspiring men in the last days, it is perfectly fine to make laws regarding their use. Freedom is great, but abuse of freedom is not. Authority, law, and order are also great, but the abuse of authority and power is not. I just see wisdom in having a balance here and now until the perfect day when we are able to live with others who have proven themselves responsible, unselfish, and givers rather than takers. When it comes to government run by man, I think you could argue that the most important thing is a balance of power to make sure this balance is maintained. It's either this or a righteously ordained King type of ruler.
I think finding such a balance would be hard, kind of like finding balance in the criminal justice system. You have to be prepared for some who are guilty to go free so that one who is innocent is protected. So it is with cannabis: you must be prepared for some to abuse it in order for others to have access to its healing properties. I believe it was placed on the earth for our use, and the government doesn't have to be in total control of all of our choices and protections. Theoretically, that is what parents, families, congregations and communities are for. Teach them correct principles and let them govern themselves.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

Sarah wrote: January 1st, 2018, 2:55 pmCan we all agree that rules and laws are good things?
Sarah natural laws are good, manmade laws are for the most part bad.

The increased reliance upon laws are a sign of a decrease in morality. Laws don't teach morality.

Common sense has been lost and is now a super power because of societies reliance on man made laws to govern behavior.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

gardener4life wrote: January 1st, 2018, 8:09 pm The facts and comments you guys had against Sarah basically just proved your logic is flawed.

Some of us understand that manmade laws don't make things good and evil, they just make things illegal, or legal. There is no flaw in that line of logic. There is a huge flaw in the logic that what ever the State deems illegal is automatically evil, and whatever the State says is legal is good. In fact there is no logic whatsoever in that line of thinking because societies are ever changing in what laws they make. Someone stating smoking pot is bad because it alters the mind and then taking a prescribed pain pill to alter their mind is completely illogical. Both are capable of harm, and both can have a benefit.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

When someone says; man made laws don't make good and evil.

All laws must consider good and evil when they are made. In a society rejecting God that becomes extremely flawed. And our society is rejecting God. if a society is rejecting God then trouble will come of their laws and decisions. You have to accept that if you sow evil you will reap the 'east wind' talked about in the scriptures. The east wind is destruction and reaping trouble for your actions.

By this same principle my sibling who is 2 years younger than me embraces arguing against the word of wisdom every chance he gets. He has clever wording and states facts that are made up and false like you guys do. But let me tell you something...he's using those same evils you guys are defending and he already looks 15 years older than me. My other sibling looks older than me to embracing the same logic against the word of wisdom and that sibling looks older than me too when he's actually 15 years younger than I am.

I find it ironic that you guys are calling marijauna something with 'healing properties'. I worked at a place a few years ago where many of my clients were people with psychotic illnesses like Schizophrenia, and or with memory problems from this same item that you guys are describing as having healing properties. One of the cases I remember the person was living on the street because he kept attacking family members he was living with and it was no longer for them to even be in the same house with this person.

Think about that.

Good and evil is in everything we do. Everything we choose we are getting closer to either good or evil. For every guy on medical marijauna there will be dozens of others abusing it. You will probably even see the day that someone puts a marijauna dispenser in elementary schools in a few years based on this logic. It will be just like candy machines and soda pop machines. That's how screwed up things are in this argument and how rapid our decline is and its speeding up.

You can think about basic principles of faith in this. If you have faith then, Heavenly Father can come up with a better alternative to cannabis to help people in pain. And even if you describe this item in detail with best of merciful wording about its properties you can only say it does pain management. NOT healing.

If you use this product I can promise you from what I've seen with my own experiences with victims who used it that you will reap the east wind.

I also noticed you guys kept tag teaming up on Sarah. 3 or 4 people at once all jumping against her comments isn't right. And why are you guys on this forum anyway? Its an LDS forum. People are going to be for the word of wisdom on this forum. You can't change that. If you want something against the word of wisdom some other forum might be better.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

ajax wrote: January 1st, 2018, 1:47 pm Pretty nice leap of logic from smoking weed to marrying animals.
Indeed. Carl Lewis couldn't have made a fantastical jump like that if he had steroids and a 5 mile running start.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

capctr wrote: January 1st, 2018, 2:42 pm Lately I’m starting to wonder if pot actually DOES have healing properties, if utilized properly; however, just as tv or smartphones can help, poorly used they can harm. If tobacco can be used for bruises back in the day, what if pot could be distilled and applied topically, or used in an inhaler for those going through chemo? A safe medium to curb nausea and restore appetite?
There's already a great amount of success using aspects of marijuana to help people relieve suffering, and not just the THC component of it. You're correct about the heal/harm concerns. The right kind of mold can cure your infections. The wrong kind can kill you. We have doctors and pharmacists who are supposed to be able to have the training and knowledge to hand out the right kind in the right amounts. The same needs to be done with the chemicals in the cannabis plant.

This needs to be done with two things:
1) The GREATEST of care by legitimate scientists
2) The LEAST amount of government, a group which can't run a brothel in a Naval port and show a profit.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sarah wrote: January 1st, 2018, 2:55 pm Can we all agree that rules and laws are good things?
Yes, if we can also all agree that sex and drugs are good things.

Sex is important to the propagation of our species and a means of helping a couple find intimacy and a spiritual bond. Drugs prescribed by a doctor and received from a pharmacy can cure illness and relieve suffering.

By the same token, random and improper sex and or drug use are terrible things which cause misery and suffering. I know whereof I speak.

In that same vein, the people of the former Soviet Union and the people of North Korea today would say that rules and laws are often terrible things which bring misery and suffering.

The laws given to us by God are things I believe we can agree are good things. As He helped inspire the writers of the Constitution I would generally say they are also good things. Unfortunately, in the last Century, and especially in the last few decades the laws of the Constitution have been turned on their head by the evil of scheming souls. The laws making marijuana illegal was definitely one of those examples. It was not done to help promote good society, it was done to ensure riches for a few people who bribed and manipulated weak-minded fools.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

gardener4life wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm When someone says; man made laws don't make good and evil.

All laws must consider good and evil when they are made. In a society rejecting God that becomes extremely flawed. And our society is rejecting God. if a society is rejecting God then trouble will come of their laws and decisions. You have to accept that if you sow evil you will reap the 'east wind' talked about in the scriptures. The east wind is destruction and reaping trouble for your actions.

By this same principle my sibling who is 2 years younger than me embraces arguing against the word of wisdom every chance he gets. He has clever wording and states facts that are made up and false like you guys do. But let me tell you something...he's using those same evils you guys are defending and he already looks 15 years older than me. My other sibling looks older than me to embracing the same logic against the word of wisdom and that sibling looks older than me too when he's actually 15 years younger than I am.

I find it ironic that you guys are calling marijauna something with 'healing properties'. I worked at a place a few years ago where many of my clients were people with psychotic illnesses like Schizophrenia, and or with memory problems from this same item that you guys are describing as having healing properties. One of the cases I remember the person was living on the street because he kept attacking family members he was living with and it was no longer for them to even be in the same house with this person.

Think about that.

Good and evil is in everything we do. Everything we choose we are getting closer to either good or evil. For every guy on medical marijauna there will be dozens of others abusing it. You will probably even see the day that someone puts a marijauna dispenser in elementary schools in a few years based on this logic. It will be just like candy machines and soda pop machines. That's how screwed up things are in this argument and how rapid our decline is and its speeding up.

You can think about basic principles of faith in this. If you have faith then, Heavenly Father can come up with a better alternative to cannabis to help people in pain. And even if you describe this item in detail with best of merciful wording about its properties you can only say it does pain management. NOT healing.

If you use this product I can promise you from what I've seen with my own experiences with victims who used it that you will reap the east wind.

I also noticed you guys kept tag teaming up on Sarah. 3 or 4 people at once all jumping against her comments isn't right. And why are you guys on this forum anyway? Its an LDS forum. People are going to be for the word of wisdom on this forum. You can't change that. If you want something against the word of wisdom some other forum might be better.
I thought Sarah has been having a thoughtful and respectful conversation and getting the same in return. I respect her opinion on this.

Laws made by man aren't inherently good (or righteous or eternal). We can only hope that they can approximate those things, but that doesn't make them so.

Also, I am a big fan of the Word of Wisdom; and I guess I will have to apologize for having a different opinion from you on this issue. You are looking for a forum in which everyone shares the same opinions on everything? Cannabis is not mentioned in the WoW, unless you consider it as a helpful herb to be used in prudence. It has many medical uses in addition to pain management. Ezra, on this forum, if I remember correctly, cured his son's autism with it. It has many other uses, from epilepsy to cancer treatment. You should look into it. Some people find enough help just with the CBD oil; others find help with other forms of the plant.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

gardener4life wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm When someone says; man made laws don't make good and evil.

Think about that.

You make strong assumptions that the people that pass laws are righteous.

You bring up the WOW but the Church lease's space in it's mall to restaurants that serve alcohol, and had a bar in the basement of the hotel Utah to finance the building of the hotel and operated wineries in St. George. The D&C says we are to use wine of our own make for sacrament. My Wife's friend in California thinks the WOW includes caffeine, not one mention of caffeine in the WOW. So many contradictions and so little time.

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

Think about that.

G4L, you're in over your head in this discussion. Although you can relate a few anecdotal experiences, you lack knowledge regarding cannabis which makes your arguments quite specious.

If you really want to have your eyes opened, you should learn what Dr. Ron Paul said about how marijuana was originally criminalized in Congress decades ago. That action was based on bogus science.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sarah wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm I would totally support a ban on alcohol.
My wife and I lived and taught in a place with 100% prohibition. No alcohol can be sold or possessed. The rate of alcoholism in the village was around 40%. My wife taught 2nd grade. One day in class several of her students started explaining how to brew alcohol in their own homes. They all knew how because almost half the town brewed their own.

I lived in another village that had no government to speak of, so there were no laws on booze. One guy owned three planes. He'd fly in to Anchorage 2-3 times a week to buy whiskey, specifically R&R brand. Because he bought cases of it at a time, he was paying around $5 a bottle. The many little villages near by had a LOT of people who would boat in the Summer or snow mobile in the Winter to buy bottles from him at $175 per bottle. He was making $170x12 per case, and he told me he averaged about 10-15 cases a week.

Prohibition won't work. Period. It was tried. Not only were we laughed at around the world, we were killing each other in the streets over it.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

Does Marijuana usage inhibit ones ability to feel and interact in a revelatory manner with the Spirit or the Holy Ghost?

If it does, and we have passed laws that limit the legal usage of it, if people followed those laws, would everyone be better off?

The laws don't work, in this case it seems to me because it isn't followed. Now, I am not in favor of government over reach, I'm just not sure that in this case it is over reach.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

skmo wrote: January 4th, 2018, 6:16 pm
Sarah wrote: January 1st, 2018, 2:55 pm Can we all agree that rules and laws are good things?
Yes, if we can also all agree that sex and drugs are good things.

Sex is important to the propagation of our species and a means of helping a couple find intimacy and a spiritual bond. Drugs prescribed by a doctor and received from a pharmacy can cure illness and relieve suffering.

By the same token, random and improper sex and or drug use are terrible things which cause misery and suffering. I know whereof I speak.

In that same vein, the people of the former Soviet Union and the people of North Korea today would say that rules and laws are often terrible things which bring misery and suffering.

The laws given to us by God are things I believe we can agree are good things. As He helped inspire the writers of the Constitution I would generally say they are also good things. Unfortunately, in the last Century, and especially in the last few decades the laws of the Constitution have been turned on their head by the evil of scheming souls. The laws making marijuana illegal was definitely one of those examples. It was not done to help promote good society, it was done to ensure riches for a few people who bribed and manipulated weak-minded fools.
That was my intent when I said that laws and rules were good things, in the perspective of God's laws are good. Its obvious that man-made law can be good or evil. But our "natural" rights are based on God's laws, like the 10 commandments. And so, knowing what we know about substances in the last days that are made by conspiring men, it is perfectly okay to base a "man-made" law on this God-given law, coming from a wise Father who is trying to protect his children from harm.

Obedience to eternal law could also be compared to obeying eternal truth. So with sex and drugs, yes I think these are good things, within the bounds the Lord has set. The overriding eternal truth with EVERY behavior is that a certain behavior, whether it be sex, or partaking of drugs, or even taking a life, if it is done motivated by love and unselfishness, and under God's approval, than it is a good behavior. If done outside of God's approval, or for selfish reasons, it is a bad behavior. So the problem comes in society when behaviors are not done for the right reasons. They are done to fulfill lusts and passions and carnal appetites.

I have no problem with people who choose to only use alcohol, or marijuana, or man-made drugs in ways that do not impair their ability to treat others in appropriate ways, or interfere with their ability to listen to the Spirit in their lives. A line is crossed in my mind if a certain behavior starts to infringe on important rights (more important than having the right to access a certain substance) that we as citizens have, and it starts affecting society as a whole in negative ways. Despite the possibility that someone is making money off of illegal sales, it doesn't make it right to allow it free reign. I'm open for responsible use, but if our brothers and sisters in this nation can't use it responsibly as a whole, I think it a wise decision to restrict its use and make the punishment fit the crime. That is OUR responsibility under the Constitution, to propose and enforce righteous laws.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

skmo wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:06 pm
Sarah wrote: January 2nd, 2018, 1:08 pm I would totally support a ban on alcohol.
My wife and I lived and taught in a place with 100% prohibition. No alcohol can be sold or possessed. The rate of alcoholism in the village was around 40%. My wife taught 2nd grade. One day in class several of her students started explaining how to brew alcohol in their own homes. They all knew how because almost half the town brewed their own.

I lived in another village that had no government to speak of, so there were no laws on booze. One guy owned three planes. He'd fly in to Anchorage 2-3 times a week to buy whiskey, specifically R&R brand. Because he bought cases of it at a time, he was paying around $5 a bottle. The many little villages near by had a LOT of people who would boat in the Summer or snow mobile in the Winter to buy bottles from him at $175 per bottle. He was making $170x12 per case, and he told me he averaged about 10-15 cases a week.

Prohibition won't work. Period. It was tried. Not only were we laughed at around the world, we were killing each other in the streets over it.
I'm sure it wouldn't work, just like it wouldn't work to ban extramarital sex. Doesn't mean that it's an evil idea.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Rand wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm Does Marijuana usage inhibit ones ability to feel and interact in a revelatory manner with the Spirit or the Holy Ghost?

If it does, and we have passed laws that limit the legal usage of it, if people followed those laws, would everyone be better off?

The laws don't work, in this case it seems to me because it isn't followed. Now, I am not in favor of government over reach, I'm just not sure that in this case it is over reach.
That's a great question. I'm actually amazed that someone came up with something interesting here! Also you can find references to this answer in conference talks about it to back it up. I'm not going to sift through them but I remember hearing that and was surprised (but not too suprised given that things against the word of wisdom are stimulants. And stimulants are how Satan counters and tries to fake a conterfeit 'spirit'. It makes sense that if body stimulation and pushing the boundaries of whats good for your body is the opposite of the spirit then those things would and could also inhibit feeling the right spirit. It's like how people buzzed on and used to entertainment all the time have trouble sitting still and appreciating reverence, and being in church or still small voice kinds of activities.

To sum it up, yes breaking the word of wisdom does inhibit someone's ability to feel and recognize the spirit and revelation as well. So I wouldn't go anywhere near that stuff if I was you.

Also to those above before this comment, talking about how spiritual and temporal laws interact is a good thing and a true principle. But the idea that oh there's a little corruption here, let's throw away all laws whatsoever. 'No one can tell me what to do!' is a spirit of rebellion.

If you believe in the inspired Constitution it doesn't mean rise up against your oppressors but actually means a belief in law and peace of what we can promote as much as possible.

In response to your comment about government overreach that is a tricky thing. What can you do? Government overreach is real, but so is underreach in some areas. Like the FDA doesn't really do anything. Their & other agencies underreach allowed a lot of pharmaceutical companies to take generic drugs off the market which are the only ones poor people can get. This is why some medical conditions pay out their nose for drugs. But by the same token there's problems with monopolies too. They are both problems. Part of the problem is that corporations use lobbyists to wave the government towards what they want...

To you guys who said that this wasn't an argument I could win. I'm not arguing with you and never have been. I just presented you with the truth. If you reject the truth then you will have a lot of problems. The word of wisdom and the gospel aren't built so that we can pick and choose what we want and still not have some kind of negative effect from doing so.

I want to remind you that I present truth because of friendship and wanting to help people and build up Zion. The idea of Zion is to build up people and help them hear views that are happy and family oriented, helpful, and going to be the most good for them. Sometimes I think you guys mistakenly think I'm bashing your or something just because I said 'no'. Anybody can tell you that's been around kids or raised kids sometimes when you tell people NO they mistakenly think that you are mad at them or don't like them. That's not the case. But sometimes you still have to tell people, 'No'.

But if you think about it, in true government (probably wouldn't allow lobbyists actually...but if they did then...) ...in an ideal government lobbyists should only be able to represent real people and not be able to put an item, thing, or idea before people. That's weird if you think about it. People should come first, except when that causes victims too in another group of people.

Crackers
captain of 100

Post by Crackers »

G4L, cannabis is generally considered to be a depressant, not a stimulant. You keep referring to the prohibition of its use being found in the Word of Wisdom. Where would I find that?

Also, do you think it wise to criminalize treating a child's epilepsy with cannabis just because some other person might use it recreationally? What else must we criminalize then? Medicinal herbs?prescription opioids? Alcohol? Sex? Driving cars? Video games? (Some people get addicted, you know. Lives can be ruined.) Etc., etc.

Vision
captain of 1,000

Post by Vision »

gardener4life wrote: January 4th, 2018, 11:23 pm

To sum it up, yes breaking the word of wisdom does inhibit someone's ability to feel and recognize the spirit and revelation as well. So I wouldn't go anywhere near that stuff if I was you.

So eating meat in the Summer will inhibit someone's ability to receive revelation?

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Regarding this item marijauna etc... I had an interesting discussion today with a family member that is also a veterinarian, and has a brilliant mind and a firm testimony. A couple of points briefly;

**The technology exists to process this plant in a way that harmful side effects can be mitigated.** (But that society isn't doing enough to have this done properly yet. More should be researched on this. It's also likely big business would do with it like what was done with cigarettes and tobacco years ago when they 'AMPLIFIED' the addictive parts instead of mitigating them.)

I do recognize some people need pain management to live because of injuries they can't recover from like back pain, back or spinal injuries, etc. These people are often very faithful people and need help. These products are available on our world because of them inho. (But we still need to look at curbing and processing them in a way to further remove harmful effects. And how do we know we even know all the harmful effects still? It's the nature of man to think that we know it all already. So if there's something yet to be discovered we don't have an open mind enough to accept the idea that maybe we don't know it all yet.)

Children and teenagers usually also don't fall into the medical area. People that do are usually severe injuries, burns, and cancer patients. You wouldn't give chemotherapy to someone that didn't have cancer would you?

My big worry is about big businesses amplifying addictive properties instead of removing them still. You can see this with how things went with many products once again.

Also another point I haven't seen anyone bring up yet...what if someone is a recovered alcoholic or recovered addict and then gets on these for a work injury etc, but then some business has put something in them to make it addictive that is maybe chemically related to those other things that they quit (or maybe it wouldn't even have to be chemically related)? There is a point where possibly what's put into it could trigger a relapse on someone who had put their life back together and they would have no defense for it after they'd worked hard to be good again. :( This would be a tragedy, but it's a scenario that could happen.

Also I would remind you that our differences of points don't mean we don't respect each other. We respect each other and value one another. We're also not arguing. But we can do more to live the truth always.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

Sarah wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:41 pm I'm sure it wouldn't work, just like it wouldn't work to ban extramarital sex. Doesn't mean that it's an evil idea.
It's either evil or it's naïve. If someone sincerely passes a law which outlaws alcohol, they're naïve because history has undeniably proven it WILL - NOT - WORK.

I believe there may be a few people in a place like Kansas who are blindly innocent enough Bible-Thumpers who would pass prohibition laws thinking they were doing God's work. It's sad that what they're doing is the work of a different god. A false one.

If people vote to outlaw a substance like alcohol or MJ, it's most often someone with a financial interest to protect, be it in an alternate product or in a desire to build smuggling/law enforcement/prison businesses.

moving2zion
captain of 100

Post by moving2zion »

I support the recreational use of chocolate and the occasional vanilla Coke.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

moving2zion wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:51 pm I support the recreational use of chocolate and the occasional vanilla Coke.
Just a thought I know many faithful people used coke products to control uncontrollable asthma, severe allergies, and other immune disorders. I do think you can be careful how much you drink, but the person I knew of who drank coke for severe allergies at first found it was the only thing that relieved her symptoms. This person sadly passed away.

Orange flavored chocolate is good.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

gardener4life wrote: January 4th, 2018, 5:12 pm By this same principle my sibling who is 2 years younger than me embraces arguing against the word of wisdom every chance he gets. He has clever wording and states facts that are made up and false like you guys do. But let me tell you something...he's using those same evils you guys are defending and he already looks 15 years older than me. My other sibling looks older than me to embracing the same logic against the word of wisdom and that sibling looks older than me too when he's actually 15 years younger than I am.
So if I use energy healing and people still believe me to be 20 years younger than I am...? ;D

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Rand wrote: January 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm Does Marijuana usage inhibit ones ability to feel and interact in a revelatory manner with the Spirit or the Holy Ghost?

Can one feel the Spirit on Western medicine? Do people feel the Spirit on codeine? nyquil? anything?

It's a better bet you'll feel it after using CB oil, than an allergy relief pill.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

skmo wrote: January 5th, 2018, 5:18 pm If people vote to outlaw a substance like alcohol or MJ, it's most often someone with a financial interest to protect, be it in an alternate product or in a desire to build smuggling/law enforcement/prison businesses.
Which is why MJ was banned--its cousin, hemp, was a threat to many investments, especially oil.

skmo
captain of 1,000

Post by skmo »

JohnnyL wrote: January 5th, 2018, 8:32 pm
skmo wrote: January 5th, 2018, 5:18 pm If people vote to outlaw a substance like alcohol or MJ, it's most often someone with a financial interest to protect, be it in an alternate product or in a desire to build smuggling/law enforcement/prison businesses.
Which is why MJ was banned--its cousin, hemp, was a threat to many investments, especially oil.
Hearst and Dupont agree with you.