Gileadi on Elias

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: Gileadi on Elias

Post by Alaris »

Wow what a great blog! I have been quoting 1 Nephi 14 a lot lately as I feel the verses about the judgments upon the mother of abominations is coming to fruition. I wish I had more time to dig into the verses he quotes--I aim to do so later and post more! Thanks dafty!

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

I am so grateful for Brother Gileadi. I'm still pretty clueless in 2nd Nephi, but because of the tiny bit I've heard him teach I feel like I can at least grasp a little as I read it.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Tbone wrote: December 12th, 2017, 12:23 pm
I am so grateful for Brother Gileadi. I'm still pretty clueless in 2nd Nephi, but because of the tiny bit I've heard him teach I feel like I can at least grasp a little as I read it.
It's a great connection he makes that Nephi is forbidden to share about the hidden servant (as Enoch is in the Book of Enoch) and then goes on to start quoting Isaiah, which is essentially non-forbidden encrypted prophesies about the same person.

Rand
captain of 1,000

Post by Rand »

So who is the hidden servant?

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Rand wrote: December 12th, 2017, 12:46 pm So who is the hidden servant?
The Elect One...who is also, interestingly, called-The Concealed One in the book of Enoch.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Here's some places for you to start learning about the Davidic Servant, or the hidden servant:

Isaiah 41-53 shows his progression from being awakened and ordained to gather Israel. www.isaiahexplained.com is a great site for analysis. Though I don't always agree with Gileadi's analysis, it's usually quite interesting as he links scriptures all across Isaiah via key words and symbols.

D&C 113 is a Q&A about Isaiah 11 (which Moroni quotes to Joseph Smith at his first appearance,) and I think it's pretty clear that the Rod from Isaiah 11 is the hidden servant who I believe is the one mighty and strong in D&C 85....
D&C 85:7 And it shall come to pass that I, the Lord God, will send one mighty and strong, holding the scepter of power in his hand, clothed with light for a covering, whose mouth shall utter words, eternal words; while his bowels shall be a fountain of truth, to set in order the house of God, and to arrange by lot the inheritances of the saints whose names are found, and the names of their fathers, and of their children, enrolled in the book of the law of God;
the throne and kingdom of David is to be taken from him and given to another by the name of David in the last days, raised up out of his lineage" (TPJS, p. 339)
Ezekiel 37:

20 ¶ And the sticks whereon thou writest shall be in thine hand before their eyes.

21 And say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the heathen, whither they be gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land:

22 And I will make them one nation in the land upon the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all: and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all:

23 Neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions: but I will save them out of all their dwellingplaces, wherein they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God.

24 And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.

25 And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children’s children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.

26 Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.

27 My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

28 And the heathen shall know that I the Lord do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (from 1830 and onward).

For now I believe most of us are missing the forest for all the trees when we are trying to identify “who” the prophesied Davidic servant is. A servant hidden from the world for a time. I do believe modern revelation and instruction by Joseph Smith give us some useful keys to reveal the identity of the end time Davidic servant or forerunner. Remember that Isaiah uses historical types to describe end time actors and that David is an historical type. I believe Joseph Smith has the most knowledge about the scriptures and the fullness of the everlasting gospel of any person I have come across.

In D&C 27:6 we learn that Elias holds the keys to the restoration in the latter days

D&C 27:6 And also with Elias, to whom I have committed the keys of bringing to pass the restoration of all things spoken by the mouth of all the holy prophets since the world began, concerning the last days;

In the next verse D&C 27:7 we learn that it was Elias (the individual) that visited Zacharias and gave promise that he should have a son that would be filled with the spirit of Elias.

D&C 27:7 And also John the son of Zacharias, which Zacharias he (Elias) visited and gave promise that he should have a son, and his name should be John, and he should be filled with the spirit of Elias;

In Luke chapter 1:19 we learn that the Angel who visited Zacharias and gave him promise of a son was Gabriel.

Luke 1:19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.

According to D&C 27:7 Gabriel is Elias, the individual.

In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith section 4 Joseph Smith reveals that Noah is Gabriel (Elias).

“The Priesthood was first given to Adam; he obtained the First Presidency, and held the keys of it from generation to generation. He obtained it in the Creation, before the world was formed, as in Genesis 1:26, 27, 28. He had dominion given him over every living creature. He is Michael the Archangel, spoken of in the Scriptures. Then to NOAH, WHO IS GABRIEL: he stands next in authority to Adam in the Priesthood; he was called of God to this office, and was the father of all living in this day, and to him was given the dominion. These men held keys first on earth, and then in heaven.”

Is it not fitting that Noah (Gabriel, Elias) would have the restoration Keys (D&C 27:6) since he was the prophet to restore all things after the flood, which likely was the first restoration? This was a restoration of the creation (not just the gospel) and Noah became the Father of all living in his day.

Note how Gabriel (Noah, Elias) describes the mission of John the Baptist who holds the office of Elias (filled with the spirit of Elias).

Luke 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.

16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

It is interesting to note that John the Baptist had priesthood authority, by the lineage of Aaron, to preach the gospel of repentance and baptism for the remission of sins and nothing more. That which was greater was to come after. Is not the gospel of repentance and baptism the gospel of restoration? A restoration from the fall of Adam. In Biblical Hebrew, the idea of repentance is represented by two verbs: שוב shuv (to return) and נחם nacham (to feel sorrow). Repent means to turn or return to God. It is also interesting to note that Elias is to turn hearts (Luke 1:17). This is also the mission of latter day Elijah to turn (restore) hearts (covenants) of both fathers and children.

Do you notice any similarities between the character and mission of John the Baptist holding the office of Elias and The restored church and priesthood of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Many shall rejoice. Shall be great in the sight of the Lord. Shall drink neither wine nor strong drink so that he may be filled with the Holy Ghost. Many shall he (re)turn to the Lord their God. Go before Him (God, Christ) in the spirit and power of Elias (restoration) to (re)turn the hearts of the fathers to the children. To make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

In a revelation given to Joseph Smith in March 1832 we read the following:

D&C 77:9 Q. What are we to understand by the angel ascending from the east, Revelation 7th chapter and 2nd verse?
A. We are to understand that the angel ascending from the east is he to whom is given the seal of the living God over the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, he crieth unto the four angels having the everlasting gospel, saying: Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till WE have sealed the servants of OUR God in their foreheads. And, if you will receive it, this is ELIAS which was to come to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things.

This revelation identifies the angel ascending from the east as one that is given the authority to seal. It also importantly identifies this angel as Elias or the forerunner which is to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things. These specific tasks are also identified with the Davidic endtime servant in Isaiah. Also notice that when the angel crieth he refers to himself in plural (WE or OUR).

In a sermon delivered at General conference at Nauvoo in april 1843 Joesph Smith taught that beasts are used by the prophets to represent earthly or worldly kingdoms and thus Joseph Smith alludes that more intelligent beings, such as angels, men (servants) and women (virgin, bride), are used to represent the kingdom of God or a higher kingdom.

“When God made use of the figure of a beast in visions to the I prophets, he did it to represent those Kingdoms who had degenerated and become corrupt--the Kingdoms of the world, but he never made use of the figure of a beast nor any of the brute kind to represent his kingdom. Daniel says when he saw the vision of the four beasts "I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this." The angel interpreted the vision to Daniel, but we find by the interpretation that the figures of beasts had no allusion to the Kingdom of God. You there see that the beasts are spoken of to represent the Kingdoms of the world the inhabitants whereof were beastly and abominable characters, they were murderous, corrupt, carnivorous and brutal in their dispositions. I make mention of the prophets to qualify my declaration which I am about to make so that the young Elders who know so much may not rise up and choke me like hornets. there is a grand difference and distinction between the visions and figures spoken of by the prophets and those spoken of in the Revelations of John.”

On this note could the angel ascending from the east, which is Elias or holds the office of Elias, be a representation of the kingdom of God or the collective priesthood of God?

In March 10th 1844 Joseph Smith gives a fantastic sermon on the spirit of Elias, the spirit of Elijah and the spirit of Messiah. Note that this is the same terminology that Gabriel uses in Luke 1:17. He starts out teaching about the spirit, power and office of Elias and his mission. He clarifies that Elias is the office of a forerunner (and I would argue restorer) and that we have a forerunner (or restorer) in the last days as also in the days of Christ. Then he introduces and identifies the spirit and power of Elijah as THE (awaited) Elias in the last days (I had read this sentence many times not understanding what it really meant, I thought it was a scribal error). Notice that it is not Elijah nor Elias the individual that is the end time Elias but a group of individuals, with the spirit and power of Elijah (of course also having the keys or being directed by the keys). He then goes on to teach about what constitutes the spirit and power of Elijah (in essence the Melchizedek priesthood). Very condensed the power of Elijah is the power to seal, which is the same power and authority that was given to the angel ascending from the east (Gods direction) which was revealed as Elias that would restore all things according to D&C 77:9. The angel ascending from the east has the spirit and power of Elijah (to seal) but also holds the office of Elias or forerunner (restorer) and as mentioned before have many striking similarities with the prophesied Davidic endtime servant.

"But if I spend much more time in conversing about the spirit of Elias I shall not have time to do justice to THE SPIRIT & POWER OF ELIJAH, THIS IS THE ELIAS SPOKEN OF IN THE LAST DAYS & here is the rock upon which many split thinking the time was past in the days of John & Christ & no more to be, but the spirit of Elias was revealed to me & I know it is true therefore I speak with boldness for I know verily my doctrine is true. Now for Elijah, the spirit power & calling of Elijah is that ye have power to hold the keys of the revelations ordinances, oricles powers & endowments of the fulness of the Melchezedek Priesthood & of the Kingdom of God on the Earth & to receive, obtain & perform all the ordinances belonging to the Kingdom of God even unto the sealing of the hearts of the hearts fathers unto the children & the hearts of the children unto the fathers even those who are in heaven. Malachi says I will send Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the Lord come & He shall turn the hearts of the Fathers to the Children and the hearts of the Children to the Fathers lest I come & smite the earth with a Curse,"

Those that have recieved this understanding of latter day Elias will see and understand that D&C is absolutely full of "Elias language". As an example take D&C 34:5 which is words directed to all who have been called to preach the restored gospel in its fullness.

"5 And more blessed are you because you are called of me to preach my gospel—

6 To lift up your voice as with the sound of a trump, both long and loud, and cry repentance unto a crooked and perverse generation, preparing the way of the Lord for his second coming.

7 For behold, verily, verily, I say unto you, the time is soon at hand that I shall come in a cloud with power and great glory."

I believe I have here identified some keys (there are many more) to identify the Davidic endtime servant or Elias/forerunner prophesied by Isaiah, Nephi, Moroni and John and many more. I believe “he” is more familiar to us than most of us realize.
Last edited by Hogmeister on December 13th, 2017, 9:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Hogmeister wrote: December 13th, 2017, 7:59 am
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (from 1830 and onward).

For now I believe most of us are missing the forest for all the trees when we are trying to identify “who” the prophesied Davidic servant is. A servant hidden from the world for a time. I do believe modern revelation and instruction by Joseph Smith give us some useful keys to reveal the identity of the end time Davidic servant or forerunner. Remember that Isaiah uses historical types to describe end time actors and that David is an historical type. I believe Joseph Smith has the most knowledge about the scriptures and the fullness of the everlasting gospel of any person I have come across.

In D&C 27:6 we learn that Elias holds the keys to the restoration in the latter days

D&C 27:6 And also with Elias, to whom I have committed the keys of bringing to pass the restoration of all things spoken by the mouth of all the holy prophets since the world began, concerning the last days;

In the next verse D&C 27:7 we learn that it was Elias (the individual) that visited Zacharias and gave promise that he should have a son that would be filled with the spirit of Elias.

D&C 27:7 And also John the son of Zacharias, which Zacharias he (Elias) visited and gave promise that he should have a son, and his name should be John, and he should be filled with the spirit of Elias;

In Luke chapter 1:19 we learn that the Angel who visited Zacharias and gave him promise of a son was Gabriel.

Luke 1:19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to shew thee these glad tidings.

According to D&C 27:7 Gabriel is Elias, the individual.

In Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith section 4 Joseph Smith reveals that Noah is Gabriel (Elias).

“The Priesthood was first given to Adam; he obtained the First Presidency, and held the keys of it from generation to generation. He obtained it in the Creation, before the world was formed, as in Genesis 1:26, 27, 28. He had dominion given him over every living creature. He is Michael the Archangel, spoken of in the Scriptures. Then to NOAH, WHO IS GABRIEL: he stands next in authority to Adam in the Priesthood; he was called of God to this office, and was the father of all living in this day, and to him was given the dominion. These men held keys first on earth, and then in heaven.”

Is it not fitting that Noah (Gabriel, Elias) would have the restoration Keys (D&C 27:6) since he was the prophet to restore all things after the flood, which likely was the first restoration? This was a restoration of the creation (not just the gospel) and Noah became the Father of all living in his day.

Note how Gabriel (Noah, Elias) describes the mission of John the Baptist who holds the office of Elias (filled with the spirit of Elias).

Luke 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.

16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

17 And he shall go before him in the spirit and power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

It is interesting to note that John the Baptist had priesthood authority, by the lineage of Aaron, to preach the gospel of repentance and baptism for the remission of sins and nothing more. That which was greater was to come after. Is not the gospel of repentance and baptism the gospel of restoration? A restoration from the fall of Adam. In Biblical Hebrew, the idea of repentance is represented by two verbs: שוב shuv (to return) and נחם nacham (to feel sorrow). Repent means to turn or return to God. It is also interesting to note that Elias is to turn hearts (Luke 1:17). This is also the mission of latter day Elijah to turn (restore) hearts (covenants) of both fathers and children.

Do you notice any similarities between the character and mission of John the Baptist holding the office of Elias and The restored church and priesthood of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Many shall rejoice. Shall be great in the sight of the Lord. Shall drink neither wine nor strong drink so that he may be filled with the Holy Ghost. Many shall he (re)turn to the Lord their God. Go before Him (God, Christ) in the spirit and power of Elias (restoration) to (re)turn the hearts of the fathers to the children. To make ready a people prepared for the Lord.

In a revelation given to Joseph Smith in March 1832 we read the following:

D&C 77:9 Q. What are we to understand by the angel ascending from the east, Revelation 7th chapter and 2nd verse?
A. We are to understand that the angel ascending from the east is he to whom is given the seal of the living God over the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, he crieth unto the four angels having the everlasting gospel, saying: Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till WE have sealed the servants of OUR God in their foreheads. And, if you will receive it, this is ELIAS which was to come to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things.

This revelation identifies the angel ascending from the east as one that is given the authority to seal. It also importantly identifies this angel as Elias or the forerunner which is to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things. These specific tasks are also identified with the Davidic endtime servant in Isaiah. Also notice that when the angel crieth he refers to himself in plural (WE or OUR).

In a sermon delivered at General conference at Nauvoo in april 1843 Joesph Smith taught that beasts are used by the prophets to represent earthly or worldly kingdoms and thus Joseph Smith alludes that more intelligent beings, such as angels, men (servants) and women (virgin, bride), are used to represent the kingdom of God or a higher kingdom.

“When God made use of the figure of a beast in visions to the I prophets, he did it to represent those Kingdoms who had degenerated and become corrupt--the Kingdoms of the world, but he never made use of the figure of a beast nor any of the brute kind to represent his kingdom. Daniel says when he saw the vision of the four beasts "I came near unto one of them that stood by, and asked him the truth of all this." The angel interpreted the vision to Daniel, but we find by the interpretation that the figures of beasts had no allusion to the Kingdom of God. You there see that the beasts are spoken of to represent the Kingdoms of the world the inhabitants whereof were beastly and abominable characters, they were murderous, corrupt, carnivorous and brutal in their dispositions. I make mention of the prophets to qualify my declaration which I am about to make so that the young Elders who know so much may not rise up and choke me like hornets. there is a grand difference and distinction between the visions and figures spoken of by the prophets and those spoken of in the Revelations of John.”

On this note could the angel ascending from the east, which is Elias or holds the office of Elias, be a representation of the kingdom of God or the collective priesthood of God?

In March 10th 1844 Joseph Smith gives a fantastic sermon on the spirit of Elias, the spirit of Elijah and the spirit of Messiah. Note that this is the same terminology that Gabriel uses in Luke 1:17. He starts out teaching about the spirit, power and office of Elias and his mission. He clarifies that Elias is the office of a forerunner and that we have a forerunner in the last days as also in the days of Christ. Then he introduces and identifies the spirit and power of Elijah as THE (awaited) Elias in the last days (I had read this sentence many times not understanding what it really meant, I thought it was a scribal error). Notice that it is not Elijah nor Elias the individual that is the end time Elias but a group individuals, with the spirit and power of Elijah. He then goes on to teach about what constitutes the spirit and power of Elijah (in essence the Melchizedek priesthood). Very condensed the power of Elijah is the power to seal, which is the same power and authority that was given to the angel ascending from the east (Gods direction) which was revealed as Elias that would restore all things according to D&C 77:9. The angel ascending from the east has the spirit and power of Elijah (to seal) but also holds the office of Elias or forerunner and as mentioned before have many striking similarities with the prophesied Davidic endtime servant.

"But if I spend much more time in conversing about the spirit of Elias I shall not have time to do justice to THE SPIRIT & POWER OF ELIJAH, THIS IS THE ELIAS SPOKEN OF IN THE LAST DAYS & here is the rock upon which many split thinking the time was past in the days of John & Christ & no more to be, but the spirit of Elias was revealed to me & I know it is true therefore I speak with boldness for I know verily my doctrine is true. Now for Elijah, the spirit power & calling of Elijah is that ye have power to hold the keys of the revelations ordinances, oricles powers & endowments of the fulness of the Melchezedek Priesthood & of the Kingdom of God on the Earth & to receive, obtain & perform all the ordinances belonging to the Kingdom of God even unto the sealing of the hearts of the hearts fathers unto the children & the hearts of the children unto the fathers even those who are in heaven. Malachi says I will send Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the Lord come & He shall turn the hearts of the Fathers to the Children and the hearts of the Children to the Fathers lest I come & smite the earth with a Curse,"

I believe I have here identified some keys (there are many more) to identify the Davidic endtime servant or forerunner prophesied by Isaiah, Nephi, Moroni and John and many more. I believe “he” is more familiar to us than most of us realize.
Hi, with this interpretation in mind, how do you explain both specific lineage(as per d&c 113) and place of origin(east/north) of the Servant?
thanks

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

dafty wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:10 am Hi, with this interpretation in mind, how do you explain both specific lineage(as per d&c 113) and place of origin(east/north) of the Servant?
thanks
D&C 113
1 Who is the Stem of Jesse spoken of in the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th verses of the 11th chapter of Isaiah?

2 Verily thus saith the Lord: It is Christ.

3 What is the rod spoken of in the first verse of the 11th chapter of Isaiah, that should come of the Stem of Jesse?

4 Behold, thus saith the Lord: It is a servant in the hands of Christ, who is partly a descendant of Jesse as well as of Ephraim, or of the house of Joseph, on whom there is laid much power.

5 What is the root of Jesse spoken of in the 10th verse of the 11th chapter?

6 Behold, thus saith the Lord, it is a descendant of Jesse, as well as of Joseph, unto whom rightly belongs the priesthood, and the keys of the kingdom, for an ensign, and for the gathering of my people in the last days.

To understand the interpretation we must understand something about olive trees. The root spoken of here is not the root of the tree but the root of the rod (a small shoot that sometimes shoot out from the trunk) that connects it to the trunk/stem which is Christ. The rod or shoot can after it has grown some be cut in which case it will leave a "root" or a spot where a graft can take place. Grafting in a branch (the lost tribes of Israel).

So here we have possibly 2 servants or one servant at 2 different stages of development. The first is "partly a descendant of Jesse (Jesse was the father of David. David is a decendant of Jesse) as well as of Ephraim, or of the house of Joseph, on whom there is laid much power". I believe the combination of David and Ephraim (their covenants and blessings) are more important as a historical type (this is from Isaiah after all) than the actual genetical heritage (altough this might also be accounted for). I believe this first servant is more of a wordly power and I believe the USA (or more broadly the Gentile nations of the west) which has been preserving some gospel liberty and Christianity (remember the trunk?) fits this interpretation. Remember that Christ himself says that he inspired the creation of the USA. But bear in mind that the restored church or Elias is very much a part of this servant (operating from within). But the rod (the USA) will at some point be cut (the wicked people will be tied in bundles and destroyed) but the nation ultimately preserved through the root (the second servant) and the grafting of the gathering of the lost tribes of Israel. The root is what remains after the cut (a righteous covenant keeping remnant to whom rightly belongs the priesthood where the David and Joseph (Ephraim) type continues (the David and Joseph (Ephraim and Manasseh) covenants and blessings continues). This will now be an even brighter Ensign to all nations and to gather the whole house of Israel.
Last edited by Hogmeister on December 13th, 2017, 9:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

what about East/North as per Isaiah?

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

dafty wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:07 am what about East/North as per Isaiah?
What scripture are you referring to specifically?

In general though directions are often symbolic in scripture.

East is Gods direction (as in Angel from the east). North often represents darkness and apostasy (The northern 10 tribes of Israel).
Last edited by Hogmeister on December 13th, 2017, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Hogmeister wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:20 am

East is Gods direction (as in Angel from the east). North often represents darkness and apostasy (The northern 10 tribes).
I used to think the same about East but I believe it may actually represent ascension. The sun backs me up on that thought. :)

Ascension of souls as well

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Hogmeister wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:45 am
dafty wrote: December 13th, 2017, 8:10 am Hi, with this interpretation in mind, how do you explain both specific lineage(as per d&c 113) and place of origin(east/north) of the Servant?
thanks
D&C 113
1 Who is the Stem of Jesse spoken of in the 1st, 2d, 3d, 4th, and 5th verses of the 11th chapter of Isaiah?

2 Verily thus saith the Lord: It is Christ.

3 What is the rod spoken of in the first verse of the 11th chapter of Isaiah, that should come of the Stem of Jesse?

4 Behold, thus saith the Lord: It is a servant in the hands of Christ, who is partly a descendant of Jesse as well as of Ephraim, or of the house of Joseph, on whom there is laid much power.

5 What is the root of Jesse spoken of in the 10th verse of the 11th chapter?

6 Behold, thus saith the Lord, it is a descendant of Jesse, as well as of Joseph, unto whom rightly belongs the priesthood, and the keys of the kingdom, for an ensign, and for the gathering of my people in the last days.

To understand the interpretation we must understand something about olive trees. The root spoken of here is not the root of the tree but the root of the rod (a small shoot that sometimes shoot out from the trunk) that connects it to the trunk/stem which is Christ. The rod or shoot can after it has grown some be cut in which case it will leave a "root" or a spot where a graft can take place. Grafting in a branch (the lost tribes of Israel).

So here we have possibly 2 servants or one servant at 2 different stages of development. The first is "partly a descendant of Jesse (Jesse was the father of David. David is a decendant of Jesse) as well as of Ephraim, or of the house of Joseph, on whom there is laid much power". I believe the combination of David and Ephraim (their covenants and blessings) are more important as a historical type (this is from Isaiah after all) than the actual genetical heritage (altough this might also be accounted for). I believe this first servant is more of a wordly power and I believe the USA (or more broadly the Gentile nations of the west) which has been preserving some gospel liberty and Christianity (remember the trunk?) fits this interpretation. Remember that Christ himself says that he inspired the creation of the USA. But bear in mind that the restored church or Elias is very much a part of this servant (operating from within). But the rod (the USA) will at some point be cut (the wicked people will be tied in bundles and destroyed) but the nation ultimately preserved through the root (the second servant) and the grafting of the gathering of the lost tribes of Israel. The root is what remains after the cut (a righteous covenant keeping remnant to whom rightly belongs the priesthood where the David and Joseph (Ephraim) type continues (the David and Joseph (Ephraim and Manasseh) covenants and blessings continues). This will now be an even brighter Ensign to all nations and to gather the whole house of Israel.
It is a servant in the hands of Christ with a genealogy of both birthrights, not a group of people or a nation. Perhaps that's why the lord called him the "one " mighty and strong. Joseph Smith prophesied of this end times person saying his name will be David. Amazing how many people explain this away. Yes, it's an uncomfortable unknown, but it's unmistakably a person. The marred servant.

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

Cyrus, as a type of Gods servant used by Isaiah to describe The Servant, was literally from north/east and showed up under the banner with a bird of prey.( Im not arguing against additional layers of symbolism to the scripture)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

dafty wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:43 am Cyrus, as a type of Gods servant used by Isaiah to describe The Servant, was literally from north/east and showed up under the banner with a bird of prey.( Im not arguing against additional layers of symbolism to the scripture)
Cyrus is next on my study agenda but my buddy tells me Gileadi says (lol) that he is a separate individual - a gentile leader likely of the USA. Obviously I don't have a strong stance yet myself :)

dafty
captain of 100

Post by dafty »

alaris wrote: December 13th, 2017, 10:58 am
dafty wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:43 am Cyrus, as a type of Gods servant used by Isaiah to describe The Servant, was literally from north/east and showed up under the banner with a bird of prey.( Im not arguing against additional layers of symbolism to the scripture)
Cyrus is next on my study agenda but my buddy tells me Gileadi says (lol) that he is a separate individual - a gentile leader likely of the USA. Obviously I don't have a strong stance yet myself :)
As we discussed before, usa is north east of Jerusalem and is associated with bird of prey, so it would make sense(Gileadi did mention that too). I guess I was just trying to make point that, for me at least, its difficult to treat some parts of Isaiah literally and some symbolically. I believe both lineage and the directions to be literal.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

A word of caution on Gileadi, He told me specifically over lunch once that he believed the entire church was "corrupt from its head down to its feet". He has a lot of good information. But take a lot of it with a grain of salt.

drtanner
captain of 1,000

Post by drtanner »

bradfordjames8 wrote: December 13th, 2017, 3:12 pm A word of caution on Gileadi, He told me specifically over lunch once that he believed the entire church was "corrupt from its head down to its feet". He has a lot of good information. But take a lot of it with a grain of salt.

I would have to agree, to me Gileadi seems to have one main agenda with his Isaiah information (his own interpretation of the writings to try and justify the church being a corrupt state.) His writings are off base and in my opinion he is being deceived by his own intellect. I personally wouldn't recommend the majority of his stuff to anyone. I believe the "servant", "mighty and strong" "elias" etc will be a point of division as scholars make there attempts to interpret the scriptures to fit there own narrative and others take advantage to point to those who they feel fit these titles. Don't learn the lesson the hard way. Listen to the living prophets.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

drtanner wrote: December 13th, 2017, 4:01 pm
bradfordjames8 wrote: December 13th, 2017, 3:12 pm A word of caution on Gileadi, He told me specifically over lunch once that he believed the entire church was "corrupt from its head down to its feet". He has a lot of good information. But take a lot of it with a grain of salt.

I would have to agree, to me Gileadi seems to have one main agenda with his Isaiah information (his own interpretation of the writings to try and justify the church being a corrupt state.) His writings are off base and in my opinion he is being deceived by his own intellect. I personally wouldn't recommend the majority of his stuff to anyone. I believe the "servant", "mighty and strong" "elias" etc will be a point of division as scholars make there attempts to interpret the scriptures to fit there own narrative and others take advantage to point to those who they feel fit these titles. Don't learn the lesson the hard way. Listen to the living prophets.
You are correct. His master work was his original production of the last days. Everything else after that has been follow up.

But at some point he became very disaffected with the current status of the church and when he got caught up with the "Spencer" visions of Glory cult it became worse.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

Interesting. That explains why he has been resisting my research/interpretation. However, I would not have come this far without his work.

Hogmeister
captain of 100

Post by Hogmeister »

alaris wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:23 am

East is Gods direction (as in Angel from the east). North often represents darkness and apostasy (The northern 10 tribes).
I used to think the same about East but I believe it may actually represent ascension. The sun backs me up on that thought. :)

I see no contradiction. The rising sun/lighting the world is a great symbol for God.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Hogmeister wrote: December 13th, 2017, 5:03 pm
alaris wrote: December 13th, 2017, 9:23 am

I see no contradiction. The rising sun/lighting the world is a great symbol for God.
Not really a contradiction - just some food for thought. :)

North may be the throne itself to whence we ascend. The parallel symbol would be noon - when the sun shines brightest upon all the creation. Sun rises in the East and sets in the West. North is above and South is below - South would represent dead / death (noun), burial, and descended below all. East is resurrection - West symbolizes fall or dying / death (verb.) Every day is a deep, rich symbol of eternal progression and how we ascend. Anyway - I don't want to derail ... like I always do. =\ Just like sleep ... sleep / wake symbolizes eternal progression - even the week symbolizes the levels we ascend. Oh dear, I've done it again!

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

How long ago was that? He was excommunicated after all ... and that excommunication may have been a bogus excommunication. The apostles are not perfect, and I've said elsewhere that the ascension of the Davidic Servant would likely cause a schism in the brethren imho.

As for the church being corrupt down to its feet, though I don't interact with the head, the feet certainly aren't corrupt. At least not the feet in Arizona. :)

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

alaris wrote: December 13th, 2017, 5:38 pm
How long ago was that? He was excommunicated after all ... and that excommunication may have been a bogus excommunication. The apostles are not perfect, and I've said elsewhere that the ascension of the Davidic Servant would likely cause a schism in the brethren imho.

As for the church being corrupt down to its feet, though I don't interact with the head, the feet certainly aren't corrupt. At least not the feet in Arizona. :)
His excommunication as one of the September 6 in 90's was later expunged. I, too, have sensed a slight change of tone in him after he jumped on the "Spencer" bandwagon. I still value most of his scholarship, though.