Charlesworth was amazed that any book written in 1830 could have ever predicted ...

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

Charlesworth was amazed that any book written in 1830 could have ever predicted ...

Post by kirtland r.m. »

James H. Charlesworth, who has spent his life working with these newly discovered texts, once spoke to Book of Mormon scholar John W. Welch about Nephi’s vision of future records (1 Nephi 13:39–41). "When was this written?" he asked. Welch said, "Well, about 550 B.C." Charlesworth replied, "No, not that. I meant, when was the Book of Mormon published?" Welch answered, "March, 1830." Charlesworth was amazed that any book written(translated) in 1830 could have ever predicted that so many documents were just about to come forth in the coming decades. This story is a reminder of the importance of these ancient texts—not only for the Bible, but for the Book of Mormon as well.http://www.ldsliving.com/What-Were-the- ... on/s/86979
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on November 27th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Charlesworth was amazed that any book written in 1830 could have ever predicted ...

Post by JohnnyL »

Hmm... I understood it was the Pearl of Great Price and DC.

mes5464
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Charlesworth was amazed that any book written in 1830 could have ever predicted ...

Post by mes5464 »

kirtland r.m. wrote: November 26th, 2017, 7:43 pm James H. Charlesworth, who has spent his life working with these newly discovered texts, once spoke to Book of Mormon scholar John W. Welch about Nephi’s vision of future records (1 Nephi 13:39–41). "When was this written?" he asked. Welch said, "Well, about 550 B.C." Charlesworth replied, "No, not that. I meant, when was the Book of Mormon published?" Welch answered, "March, 1830." Charlesworth was amazed that any book written(translated) in 1830 could have ever predicted that so many documents were just about to come forth in the coming decades. This story is a reminder of the importance of these ancient texts—not only for the Bible, but for the Book of Mormon as well.http://www.ldsliving.com/What-Were-the- ... s-Vision/s
The original link is broke. Here is the article:

http://www.ldsliving.com/What-Were-the- ... on/s/86979

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

Charlesworth was a good friend of Truman Madsen. I have spoken to him a number of times and he is very complimentary of the church. When I spoke to him he was the head of the Dead Sea Scrolls project at Princeton I believe. But no man is more knowledgeable about ancient non-canonical texts than him.

The church actually donated $10,000 to his project of translating and Publishing the Apocrypha and pseudepigrapha.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

bradfordjames8 wrote: November 28th, 2017, 8:33 am Charlesworth was a good friend of Truman Madsen. I have spoken to him a number of times and he is very complimentary of the church. When I spoke to him he was the head of the Dead Sea Scrolls project at Princeton I believe. But no man is more knowledgeable about ancient non-canonical texts than him.

The church actually donated $10,000 to his project of translating and Publishing the Apocrypha and pseudepigrapha.
Fascinating. Thanks.

Regarding the 'Cairo geniza' manuscripts, vs. the Nag Hammadi or Kenoboskion texts/fragments, I always thought the later were found in an abandoned Jewish synagogue geniza. Maybe I'm garbling my NIbley, again.