One of many miricles that occured at the Logan Temple

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

One of many miricles that occured at the Logan Temple

Post by kirtland r.m. »

These are not "mormon folk tales" but as you can see they have plenty of historical evidence to back them up. Stories from the Logan Temple has dozens of these sacred experiences recorded in it. Enjoy this one from ldsliving. http://www.ldsliving.com/Elder-Ballard- ... le/s/80005
Here is more to add from an older post of mine. "the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London." Satan, it seems, was also aware of this...

Edit
Report this post

Postby kirtland r.m. » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:19 pm
A reminder of who and what we face.
Heber C. Kimball – vision of the devils

“…a vision was opened to our minds, and we could distinctly see the evil spirits, who foamed and gnashed their teeth at us. We gazed upon them about an hour and a half. . . . We were not looking towards the window, but towards the wall. Space appeared before us, and we saw the devils coming in legions, with their leaders, who came within a few feet of us.

“They came towards us like armies rushing to battle. They appeared to be men of full stature, possessing every form of feature of men in the flesh, who were angry and desperate; and I shall never forget the vindictive malignity depicted on their countenances as they looked me in the eye; and any attempt to paint the scene which then presented itself, or portray their malice and enmity, would be vain.

“I perspired exceedingly, my clothes becoming as wet as if I had been taken out of the river. I felt excessive pain, and was in the greatest distress for some time. I cannot even look back on the scene without feelings of horror; yet by it I learned the power of the adversary, his enmity against the servants of God, and got some understanding of the invisible world.

“We distinctly heard those spirits talk and express their wrath and hellish designs against us. However, the Lord delivered us from them and blessed us exceedingly that day.” [Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball (Salt Lake City: Juvenile Instructor Office, 1888), p. 143–145]

Wilford Woodruff is Attacked by and
then Rebukes the Devil in England

Orson F. Whitney (Biographer of Heber C. Kimball)

The two Apostles [Heber C. Kimball and Brigham Young] set out upon their journey on the 25th of November, 1840....

They found Brother Woodruff "well and in good spirits," but with a tale to tell of his experience since he saw them last, "whose lightest word" was well calculated to "harrow up the soul."

It will be remembered that Heber C. Kimball and his conferees, who opened the British Mission in 1837, had a terrible encounter with evil spirits on the day of the first baptisms in Preston. A similar ordeal had been experienced by Apostle Woodruff on the night of the first Sabbath after his return from Manchester.

He and Elder Smith had held a sacrament meeting that day at Father Corner's, with a few Saints who had gathered there, during which "the Spirit bore testimony that there would be a great work done in London."

Satan, it seems, was also aware of this fact, and it displeased him mightily.

That night, while lying in his bed, meditating upon the mission in that city and determining to warn its inhabitants, and "overcome the powers of darkness," a personage appeared to the Apostle Wilford whom he took to be the "Prince of darkness." "He made war with me," says the Apostle, "and attempted to take my life. As he was about to overcome me I prayed to the Father in the name of Jesus Christ for help. I then had power over him, and he left me, though much wounded. Afterwards three persons, dressed in white, came to me and administered to me, when I was immediately healed and delivered of all my troubles."

Such, in brief, was the thrilling tale told by Apostle Woodruff to his fellow servants in Christ, on their arrival in the British capital. (Orson F. Whitney, Life of Heber C. Kimball, p.297)

[Wilford Woodruff describes another instance as follows:]

Brother Kimball, Brother George A. Smith and myself had a similar experience in London, at a house where we were stopping. It seemed as if there were legions of spirits there. They sought our destruction; and on one occasion, after Brother Kimball had left, these powers of darkness fell upon us to destroy our lives, and both Brother Smith and myself would have been killed, apparently, had not three holy messengers come into the room and filled the room with light. They were dressed in temple clothing. They laid their hands upon our heads and we were delivered, and that power was broken, so far as we were concerned. Why did the Lord send these men to us? Because we could not have lived without it; and, as a general thing, angels do not administer to anybody on the earth unless it is to preserve the lives of good men, or to bring the Gospel, or perform a work that men cannot do for themselves.... Lucifer may appear to man in the capacity of an angel of light; but there is no deception with the Holy Ghost. We do not particularly need the administration of angels unless we are in a condition similar to that in which Brother Kimball, Brother Smith and myself were placed, when we could not save our lives without them. (Collected Discourses, edited by Brian H. Stuy, 5 vols. (Burbank, California, and Woodland Hills, Utah: B. H. S. Publishing, 1987-92), 1:218)

And "you know who", is not pleased about Temple Work as well. Satan and the Logan Temple President.

Temple President Merrill encounters the Devil, who threatens to stop the temple work from being done

(Excerpt from "Logan Temple: The First 100 Years)

Logan Temple President Marriner W. Merrill was sitting in his office one morning in the early 1890's when he heard a commotion outside. Stepping to the window, he saw a great congregation of people coming up the temple hill, some on foot, and others on horseback and in carriages. President Merrill's first thought was, "What will we do with so many people? If we fill every room in the temple, it will not begin to hold them all."

The riders tied their horses up at the hitching posts or turned them loose on the temple corrals, and walked complacently about the front grounds, without seeming to have much purpose in mind. They were rather an odd looking group, and were dressed quite shabbily.

They made no effort to enter the temple, so President Merrill went out to greet them and see what he could do for the group. He said to their leader: "Who are you, and who are these people who have taken possession of the temple grounds unannounced?"

He answered: "I am Satan, and these are my people." Brother Merrill asked: "What do you want, and why have you come here?" Satan replied: "I don't like what is being done in the Logan Temple and have come to stop it." That was a bit of a shock to President Merrill, and he answered: "No, we will not stop it. This is the work of the Lord and must go on. You know that you or any one else can not stop the work of the Lord."

"If you refuse to stop it, I will tell you what I propose to do," the adversary said. "I will scatter this congregation of people throughout these valleys, and we will keep people from coming to the temple. We will whisper in their ears and discourage them from attending the temple. This will stop your temple work."

President Merrill then used the power of his priesthood and commanded Satan and his followers to depart from holy ground. He said that within four or five minutes there was not a person, horse or buggy in sight. They just disappeared into thin air and were gone.

Then for the next ten or twelve years we could have closed the Logan Temple, for very little work was accomplished. In one full year, the number of endowments done totaled only 5,121, while in our day we have done, 3,064 in one day. Where all ordinances for the year equaled but 20,110, today we have done 15,456 in one day, and a total of 1,808,265 for the full year.

Christian L. Olsen lived only a half mile from the temple, and he said any time he said out loud that he was going to the temple, something happened to keep him away. One evening he said to the boys: "Tomorrow we will finish grinding out molasses, and then I'd like to spend a week in the temple." The mill was operating perfectly that evening, but the next morning the main wheel was broken. The more they repaired the machine, the more things broke and went wrong with it. He finally spent the full week making repairs so the only day's grind of molasses could be completed. He did not get to spend the week in the temple.

Another time when he planned a day in the temple, he got up to milk his cows and the corral gate was open. He spent the day hunting the cows in the west fields. Still another time, the corral gate was open again and the horses were gone. It took two days to find them in Logan Canyon. He said: "Anytime I wanted to go to the temple, I soon learned that I could not say it out loud. I got up, milked my cows, set the bucket down and ran. And then I could get there without any trouble."

Eight girls left Garland in a white top buggy one morning at 4am, to do baptisms in the temple. Just as they arrived on the west mountain where they could see the temple, a wheel came off the buggy. Before they reached Logan, they had had trouble with all four wheels, a hame strap had broken, the yoke came apart, and there was one delay after another every few minutes. They finally reached Logan at 5pm, after the baptisms were done and the font had been emptied. Some of the men were still there, the font was refilled, and the girls were baptized. They said that Satan followed them all the way to Logan that day.

The evil one's power and influence are real. He knows the value of temple work and would do anything in his power to keep people away. But he failed to recognize the faithfulness and devotion of the Saints in this area, for they were not easily discouraged.

Supporting Statements
Rudger Clawson

On one occasion I heard the late Apostle Marriner W. Merrill, President of the Logan Temple, relate this extraordinary incident:

He was sitting in his office one morning, he said, when he noticed from the window a company of people coming up the hill to the Temple. As they entered the Temple grounds they presented rather a strange appearance, not only in dress but in their mode of travel. Some were riding on horses, others were in conveyances, and still others were afoot. He wondered who they could be as he was not looking for a company of such size that particular morning. They dismounted from their horses, stepped down from their conveyances, put their animals under the shade and walked about complacently as if they had a perfect right to be there.

A little later a person unknown to Brother Merrill entered the room. Brother Merrill said to him: “Who are you and who are these people who have come up and taken possession of the Temple grounds unannounced?” He answered and said: “I am Satan and these are my people.” Brother Merrill then said: “What do you want? Why have you come here?” Satan replied: “I don’t like the work that is going on in this Temple and feel that it should be discontinued. Will you stop it?” Brother Merrill answered and said emphatically, “No, we will not stop it. The work must go on.” “Since you refuse to stop it, I will tell you what I propose to do,” the adversary said. “I will take these people, my followers, and distribute them throughout this Temple district, and will instruct them to whisper in the ears of people, persuading them not to go to the Temple, and thus bring about a cessation of your Temple work.” Satan then withdrew.

President Merrill, commenting on this strange interview with the Evil One, said that for quite a period of time the spirit of indifference to Temple work seemed to take possession of the people and very few came to the House of the Lord. The presumption was that Satan had carried out his threat which caused a temporary lull in Temple work.

It is not to be wondered at that Satan, who is the enemy of all righteousness, is displeased with Temple work. 2

References:

Joseph F. Smith, From Prophet to Son: Advice of Joseph F. Smith to His Missionary Sons, compiled by Hyrum M. Smith III and Scott G. Kenney [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1981], 70 ↩
Rudger Clawson: [Church Section, The Deseret News, Dec. 12, 1936, Vol. 344, No. 61]

Goonerboy
captain of 50

Re: One of many miricles that occured at the Logan Temple

Post by Goonerboy »

Thanks for sharing this. I used to have the book when I lived in Utah but no longer have it. It truly is fascinating to know of these events.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Thanks for posting these. It's fun to read them. And then you get all tingly and think something there must be right.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

gardener4life wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:09 am Thanks for posting these. It's fun to read them. And then you get all tingly and think something there must be right.
Are you being facetious?

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

kirtland r.m. wrote: November 26th, 2017, 7:38 pm On one occasion I heard the late Apostle Marriner W. Merrill, President of the Logan Temple, relate this extraordinary incident:
Cool stories. This has nothing to do with the OP, but last Saturday I just found my priesthood line of authority and the name Merrill rang a bell and I thought maybe it was Marriner, but I was wrong. Instead of Marriner, it was his son Joseph F. Merrill who is in my line of authority. It's cool to make connections like that. Thanks for the post and helping me learn a little more.

brlenox
A sheep in wolf in sheep's clothing

Post by brlenox »

cyclOps wrote: November 30th, 2017, 3:25 am
gardener4life wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:09 am Thanks for posting these. It's fun to read them. And then you get all tingly and think something there must be right.
Are you being facetious?
Are you being capricious?

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:02 am
Are you being facetious?
At least they aren't being salacious.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

Tbone wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:34 am
brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:02 am
Are you being facetious?
At least they aren't being salacious.
Perhaps so, but clearly he is being audacious.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

Warning: Trying to be one-up on brlenox in word play and games is a losing activity . . . unless you're exceedingly pertinacious.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:47 am Warning: Trying to be one-up on brlenox in word play and games is a losing activity . . . unless you're exceedingly pertinacious.
Oh...now you are just being fallacious.

Although, if anyone could it would certainly be you and I'm being veracious.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:51 am
larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:47 am Warning: Trying to be one-up on brlenox in word play and games is a losing activity . . . unless you're exceedingly pertinacious.

Not fair, brlenox. You added 'veracious' to your last post, just as I was composing my riposte using the same word . . . obviously, you're just too sagacious for me.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 11:05 am

Not fair, brlenox. You added 'veracious' to your last post, just as I was composing my riposte using the same word . . . obviously, you're just too sagacious for me.
Oh no! things are turning minacious.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 11:10 am

You exaggerate. But when you accused me of being fallacious, it was actually you who were acting mendacious.

But that said, thanks for your OP, Kirtland R.M. I enjoyed it.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 11:13 am

You exaggerate. But when you accused me of being fallacious, it was actually you who were acting mendacious.

Hint taken...I'm off to things more efficacious.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

Thank you for the heads up. Your comment was very perspicacious that trying to one-up brlenox would be inefficacious.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 11:19 am
larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 11:13 am

Hint taken...I'm off to things more efficacious.
Good tack at this point. At least you remove yourself from the danger of being too officious on this thread.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

I’m going to ask y’all to stop, and you better not be contumacious about it either.

larsenb
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by larsenb »

cyclOps wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:22 pm I’m going to ask y’all to stop, and you better not be contumacious about it either.
Done. These exchanges were on the verge of becoming contentious.

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

larsenb wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:43 pm
cyclOps wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:22 pm I’m going to ask y’all to stop, and you better not be contumacious about it either.
Tragically, I had to leave for an all day into the evening meeting. However, as Blarsen reminded me privately no "cious" list is complete until someone has dropped the "B" bomb FROM Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...you dudes are Bodacious...

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 9:59 pm
Tragically, I had to leave for an all day into the evening meeting. However, as Blarsen reminded me privately no "cious" list is complete until someone has dropped the "B" bomb FROM Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure...you dudes are Bodacious...
I thought that was from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? (Or maybe it was just plain righteous? Right sound wrong spelling)

brlenox

Post by brlenox »

kittycat51 wrote: December 1st, 2017, 9:39 am
brlenox wrote: November 30th, 2017, 9:59 pm
I thought that was from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? (Or maybe it was just plain righteous? Right sound wrong spelling)
While the word may have been co-opted by those auspicious turtles, I seem to remember it from Bill and Ted's as this dialogue illustrates:
Ted: Dude, are you sure we should be doing this?

Bill: Ted, you and I have witnessed many things, but nothing as bodacious as what just happened. Besides, we told ourselves to listen to this guy.

Ted: What if we were lying?

Bill: Why would we lie to ourselves?

...Abraham Lincoln: Fourscore and...

[looks at his pocket watch]

Abraham Lincoln: seven minutes ago... we, your forefathers, were brought forth upon a most excellent adventure conceived by our new friends, Bill... and Ted. These two great gentlemen are dedicated to a proposition which was true in my time, just as it's true today. Be excellent to each other. And... PARTY ON, DUDES!
Now if I were you I would say "Oh yes, that 's were I heard it too." Because while to acknowledge Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure might raise an eyebrow or two, to claim carnal knowledge of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles will only make you appear very, very suspicious.

lemuel
Operating Thetan

Post by lemuel »

This thread is seriously pulchritudinous.

Tbone
captain of 100

Post by Tbone »

lemuel wrote: December 2nd, 2017, 9:11 pm This thread is seriously pulchritudinous.
After looking up pulchritudinous in the dictionary, your comment is very gracious.

cyclOps
captain of 1,000

Post by cyclOps »

Is everyone finoused yet?