Severe earthquakes are imminent!

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
inho
captain of 1,000

Severe earthquakes are imminent!

Post by inho »

According to a study published in Geophysical Research Letters earlier this year, there will be a spike in earthquakes after a period of a slowing of the Earth's rotation. This year there haven't been many severe earthquakes. However, next year may be worse. Since the Earths rotation has slowed down several years now, it is likely that in 2018 there will be a significant increase in numbers of severe earthquakes.

read more:
Scientists are about to test a devastating hypothesis: 2018 will suffer a lot of big earthquakes
Sloshing of Earth’s core may spike major earthquakes
Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Re: Severe earthquakes are imminent!

Post by Alaris »

inho wrote: November 19th, 2017, 10:51 am According to a study published in Geophysical Research Letters earlier this year, there will be a spike in earthquakes after a period of a slowing of the Earth's rotation. This year there haven't been many severe earthquakes. However, next year may be worse. Since the Earths rotation has slowed down several years now, it is likely that in 2018 there will be a significant increase in numbers of severe earthquakes.

read more:
Scientists are about to test a devastating hypothesis: 2018 will suffer a lot of big earthquakes
Sloshing of Earth’s core may spike major earthquakes
Upsurge in big earthquakes predicted for 2018 as Earth rotation slows
If the rotation is slowing, wouldn't that mean fewer days in a year?

Edit: Nevermind. I read the article :)
Although such fluctuations in rotation are small – changing the length of the day by a millisecond – they could still be implicated in the release of vast amounts of underground energy, it is argued.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

So what? The slowing of the Earth's rotation is so small that it would take 100 or more years to calculate a 2 millisecond change in rotation speed. Therefore this is been going on literally since the beginning of time. And the number of earthquakes has ocellated off and on from high numbers to low numbers all that time.

In depth The Moon formed much closer to Earth than it is today. As Earth rotates, the Moon's gravity causes the oceans to seem to rise and fall. (The Sun also does this, but not as much.) There is a little bit of friction between the tides and the turning Earth, causing the rotation to slow down just a little. As Earth slows, it lets the Moon creep away.
The Moon is drifting farther from Earth.
We can use extremely accurate atomic clocks to measure exactly how much the rotation is slowing down. One hundred years from now, a day will be about 2 milliseconds longer than today. Two milliseconds is 1/500th of a second, or how long it takes a car going 55 mph to travel only 2 inches--in other words, much less than the blink of an eye.

So contextually, this has nothing to do with last days events or increase in earthquakes because it has been a process that has gone on for Millions if not billions of years and will continue to go on. And the increase in earthquakes cannot be directly attributed to this process.

The article is poorly written sensationalism.

bradfordjames8
captain of 10

Post by bradfordjames8 »

So what? The slowing of the Earth's rotation is so small that it would take 100 or more years to calculate a 2 millisecond change in rotation speed. Therefore this is been going on literally since the beginning of time. And the number of earthquakes has ocellated off and on from high numbers to low numbers all that time.

In depth The Moon formed much closer to Earth than it is today. As Earth rotates, the Moon's gravity causes the oceans to seem to rise and fall. (The Sun also does this, but not as much.) There is a little bit of friction between the tides and the turning Earth, causing the rotation to slow down just a little. As Earth slows, it lets the Moon creep away.
The Moon is drifting farther from Earth.
We can use extremely accurate atomic clocks to measure exactly how much the rotation is slowing down. One hundred years from now, a day will be about 2 milliseconds longer than today. Two milliseconds is 1/500th of a second, or how long it takes a car going 55 mph to travel only 2 inches--in other words, much less than the blink of an eye.

So contextually, this has nothing to do with last days events or increase in earthquakes because it has been a process that has gone on for Millions if not billions of years and will continue to go on. And the increase in earthquakes cannot be directly attributed to this process.

The article is poorly written sensationalism.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

No sure what you are on about, earthquakes and volcanoes have been firing on all cylinders in 2017 recently very many people have died.
It is always , If the US is not affected then it does not count. Storms like cyclones and earthquakes have now also been linked to solar output and fluctuations. The US and Mexico did get a few storms this year and EQ,

EQ numbers are currently in the red quiet a few over the last few days....
https://earthquakestoday.info/

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Spaced_Out wrote: November 20th, 2017, 1:15 am No sure what you are on about, earthquakes and volcanoes have been firing on all cylinders in 2017 recently very many people have died.
It is always , If the US is not affected then it does not count. Storms like cyclones and earthquakes have now also been linked to solar output and fluctuations. The US and Mexico did get a few storms this year and EQ,

EQ numbers are currently in the red quiet a few over the last few days....
https://earthquakestoday.info/
from the Guardian:
“The inference is clear,” said Bilham. “Next year we should see a significant increase in numbers of severe earthquakes. We have had it easy this year. So far we have only had about six severe earthquakes. We could easily have 20 a year starting in 2018.”
From Science:
She and Bilham dove into the data, using the only complete earthquake catalog for the past 100 years: magnitude-7 and larger earthquakes.
Beginning next year, Earth should expect five more major earthquakes a year than average—between 17 to 20 quakes, compared with the anomalously low four so far this year. If the pattern holds, it will put a new spin on earthquake forecasting.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

This is actually an interesting thread. Most earthquake predictions can't give a credible source for why they say there will be a quake. This actually states why and with a source that's measured. It's also more of a realistic prediction. Instead of stating x strength earthquake in x year, it's stating more or less likely to have surges of earthquakes of unknown strength because of a specific measured symptom/cause.

So it could be a real possibility.

There are scriptures that match with earthquakes but don't really have more information coming from them. '...the earth will reel to and fro like a drunken man...' (This can have a dual meaning of spiritual and physical.)

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

gardener4life wrote: November 20th, 2017, 6:05 am This is actually an interesting thread. Most earthquake predictions can't give a credible source for why they say there will be a quake. This actually states why and with a source that's measured. It's also more of a realistic prediction. Instead of stating x strength earthquake in x year, it's stating more or less likely to have surges of earthquakes of unknown strength because of a specific measured symptom/cause.
That is exactly what I liked about this, too. However, the downside is that this method does not predict the locations of the earthquakes.

James-T-Prout
captain of 50

Post by James-T-Prout »

I read this article on the earthquakes and the few milliseconds that are affected.

I'm not sure that the milliseconds would have much affect at all....when compared to the real driver of earthquakes, the sun, moon, and planets in our solar system.

How many people reading this post have read The Universal Model textbook that is relatively new?

My kids are reading it for their earth sciences...and this LDS science author has broken down and proven that much of what we have in the earth sciences have been pseudo theories. I invite all readers of this post to check it out. I have been enlightened by it.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

James-T-Prout wrote: November 20th, 2017, 12:29 pm How many people reading this post have read The Universal Model textbook that is relatively new?
Universal Model
BYU and UVU scientists question research offered at a conference on the Book of Mormon

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

Sounds like an article published to get people to go out and buy survival supplies.

James-T-Prout
captain of 50

Post by James-T-Prout »

Wow, did you see that, in the article above?
"Students and the BYU community are reminded that organic evolution, anthropogenic climate change, radiometric dating and a 4.56 billion-year-old age of the Earth are all seriously taught on campus by professors, who are in good standing with the church, in fields directly relating to these subjects," the letter states, signed by BYU Associate Dean Bart Kowallis, eight faculty members and 24 students.
What a mess.

I wasn't aware that the LDS Church believes in Organic Evolution. That man came from monkeys and monkeys came from rocks. I thought that we believe what the Temple Endowment teaches that we are the children of Adam and Eve who were created by God the Father through Jesus Christ.

Even these doctrines are now pushing into the Church by scientists at BYU.

It's not my area of expertise....but it sure looks like BYU is going ape. (no pun-intended)

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

James-T-Prout wrote: November 20th, 2017, 2:24 pm I wasn't aware that the LDS Church believes in Organic Evolution. That man came from monkeys and monkeys came from rocks. I thought that we believe what the Temple Endowment teaches that we are the children of Adam and Eve who were created by God the Father through Jesus Christ.

Now? BYU has been teaching organic evolution over 100 years. There was a controversy over it in 1911, but it didn't take long until evolution returned to BYU.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

James-T-Prout wrote: November 20th, 2017, 2:24 pm Wow, did you see that, in the article above?
"Students and the BYU community are reminded that organic evolution, anthropogenic climate change, radiometric dating and a 4.56 billion-year-old age of the Earth are all seriously taught on campus by professors, who are in good standing with the church, in fields directly relating to these subjects," the letter states, signed by BYU Associate Dean Bart Kowallis, eight faculty members and 24 students.
What a mess.

I wasn't aware that the LDS Church believes in Organic Evolution. That man came from monkeys and monkeys came from rocks. I thought that we believe what the Temple Endowment teaches that we are the children of Adam and Eve who were created by God the Father through Jesus Christ.

It's not my area of expertise....but it sure looks like BYU is going ape. (no pun-intended)
Keep in mind I attended BYU ~ 20 years ago (*gasp*)

I took a "fun" GE class my freshman year - Archaeology 101. I had visions of Indiana Jones' fortune and glory. SNOOZE! This was by far the most boring class I attended! It wasn't so much the material but the presentation and monotone voice. Granted this was my earliest class, and I had some fun my freshman year. HOWever ...

The professor was a renown Archaelogist of Central American and South American excavations. He would share these experiences that probably could have been exciting if it didn't sound like a DMV employee explaining which forms you need to fill out and which lines you need to go stand in.

Several weeks into the class, one of the students in my small class finally asked the question that was likely on everyone's mind, "In your experience, have you run into any evidence that supports the Book of Mormon?"

Holy cow, Professor Snoozefest suddenly came alive and laid into this poor student. How dare this and that and this is a scholastic course this and accepted by the scientific community the other.

BYU certainly does not equal the LDS church - however, this was certainly a surprisingly disappointing experience in more ways than one. Don't get me started on my grade for this course ...

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

James-T-Prout wrote: November 20th, 2017, 2:24 pm Wow, did you see that, in the article above?
What a mess.

I don't believe that BYU professors are stupid enough to believe or teach that man came from monkeys. I expect them to accurately teach evolutionary theory, which shows that humans and primates have common ancestors.

My faith is strong enough that I am not threatened by learning about the fossil record and the latest research on this and other subjects.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

What a mess.

from the dust of this Earth ;)

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

alaris wrote: November 20th, 2017, 5:04 pm
What a mess.

Keep in mind I attended BYU ~ 20 years ago (*gasp*)

I took a "fun" GE class my freshman year - Archaeology 101. I had visions of Indiana Jones' fortune and glory. SNOOZE! This was by far the most boring class I attended! It wasn't so much the material but the presentation and monotone voice. Granted this was my earliest class, and I had some fun my freshman year. HOWever ...

The professor was a renown Archaelogist of Central American and South American excavations. He would share these experiences that probably could have been exciting if it didn't sound like a DMV employee explaining which forms you need to fill out and which lines you need to go stand in.

Several weeks into the class, one of the students in my small class finally asked the question that was likely on everyone's mind, "In your experience, have you run into any evidence that supports the Book of Mormon?"

Holy cow, Professor Snoozefest suddenly came alive and laid into this poor student. How dare this and that and this is a scholastic course this and accepted by the scientific community the other.

BYU certainly does not equal the LDS church - however, this was certainly a surprisingly disappointing experience in more ways than one. Don't get me started on my grade for this course ...
If a BYU professor can get affended over someone asking a religious question, what the heck is he doing teaching there right? O.o

LdsMarco
captain of 100

Post by LdsMarco »

Massive"Booms" Around the Planet/As Earth Slows Rotation.

marc
Disciple of Jesus Christ

Post by marc »

A very good Youtube channel to follow:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHE92x ... fMrqhsnE1Q

And his Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/dutchsinseofficial

He has developed a fairly accurate method to predict earthquakes, which some in the media have tried to discredit. He's definitely worth following and seeing for yourselves.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

LdsMarco wrote: November 21st, 2017, 1:27 pm Massive"Booms" Around the Planet/As Earth Slows Rotation.

If the earth's rotation is slowing, why are sunrise and sunset times exactly matching predictions that don't include slowing?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

brianj wrote: November 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm If the earth's rotation is slowing, why are sunrise and sunset times exactly matching predictions that don't include slowing?
Because the error in the accuracy of the predictions is larger than the slowing.

Wikipedia:
Earth rotates once in about 24 hours with respect to the sun and once every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds with respect to the stars (see below). Earth's rotation is slowing slightly with time; thus, a day was shorter in the past. This is due to the tidal effects the Moon has on Earth's rotation. Atomic clocks show that a modern-day is longer by about 1.7 milliseconds than a century ago, slowly increasing the rate at which UTC is adjusted by leap seconds. Analysis of historical astronomical records shows a slowing trend of 2.3 milliseconds per century since the 8th century BCE.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

inho wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 1:25 am
brianj wrote: November 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm If the earth's rotation is slowing, why are sunrise and sunset times exactly matching predictions that don't include slowing?
Because the error in the accuracy of the predictions is larger than the slowing.

Wikipedia:
Earth rotates once in about 24 hours with respect to the sun and once every 23 hours, 56 minutes and 4 seconds with respect to the stars (see below). Earth's rotation is slowing slightly with time; thus, a day was shorter in the past. This is due to the tidal effects the Moon has on Earth's rotation. Atomic clocks show that a modern-day is longer by about 1.7 milliseconds than a century ago, slowly increasing the rate at which UTC is adjusted by leap seconds. Analysis of historical astronomical records shows a slowing trend of 2.3 milliseconds per century since the 8th century BCE.
Most conspiracy theorists I hear from have a nonsensical belief that Earth's rotational period has slowed by minutes in the last few years. That's what I thought was being implied here.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

brianj wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 9:07 pm
inho wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 1:25 am

Wikipedia:
Most conspiracy theorists I hear from have a nonsensical belief that Earth's rotational period has slowed by minutes in the last few years. That's what I thought was being implied here.
Well, to be honest, I am not quite sure what is implied in the youtube video LdsMarco posted, but this is what is implied in the links in my OP.

Spaced_Out
captain of 1,000

Post by Spaced_Out »

It is all beginning to unravel...

A Swarm Of Earthquakes Beneath The San Andreas Fault Is Making Scientists Nervous
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-2 ... ts-nervous

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Spaced_Out wrote: November 23rd, 2017, 4:53 am It is all beginning to unravel...

A Swarm Of Earthquakes Beneath The San Andreas Fault Is Making Scientists Nervous
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-2 ... ts-nervous
That's funny. The area has been hammered? An incredible six quakes stronger than 3.0? A massive 4.6?

Earthquakes less than 3.0 are often not even felt.

We should be terrified if USGS seismologist Annemarie Baltay makes a comment as scary as: "This is really typical behavior."

We know that big earthquakes are coming. But a series of aftershocks following a minor quake isn't proof that something bad is imminent.