Robotics and prophecy

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
moving2zion
captain of 100

Robotics and prophecy

Post by moving2zion »

I have lurked for a long time. Decided to cross back into the black.
Does anyone know of any prophecies about the roll of robotics during the last days or millennium? Any statements from general authorities on the role they are to play? Any posts from NDEs relating to the same?

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Re: Robotics and prophecy

Post by gardener4life »

You could use 2 steps away from the topic scriptures to deal with this if you are careful in not using your own reasoning.

For example, a scripture about slavery to help interpret it but it's a 2 step away interpretation rather than one step. For example, we know there will be no slavery during the millenium. Taking away a man's work and leaving that family homeless so that you can have more money for your new big house and a new BMW is a sort of reverse slavery in a way. So because large corporations always, always do this no matter what. It's pretty much a given that we won't have business corporations the way we think of them today. (Though its likely there will be some form of commerce and trade. I've heard some inspired people emphasize that during the Millenium it will be family organizations and family governments. In family governments you don't leave people out.)

There are also scriptures in Isaiah like... 'the mighty man shall be humbled'. Who is the mighty man? The men of the world, those that trust in the flesh, which can be interpreted as those that seek after power, economic wealth. Also we hear there will be wars and rumors of wars in your own lands. The part of your own lands is tied to a later reference in the scriptures describing this. If you have war then you can't have manufacturing. So it's just a question of at what critical point will we have to reach before this becomes clear. (Though we won't want to know that actually.)

Also both Ether and Mormon describe a time period of such wickedness that no man could lay down his tools without them being stolen or swallowed up such was the curse upon the land. (If you can't have stability then you can't have manufacturing.)

In the Millenium the veil will be open and angels will be able to help people and go around doing missionary work. IF that's to be the case then wouldn't robots be unneeded? And wouldn't robots make people not be working towards being valiant enough to have the day when the veil is open?

So...you do have to be careful how you reason this. But it doesn't seem like there would be technologies that will be abused. So the question remains, it depends on if you think we can learn to not abuse some technologies. I think that Heavenly Father may decide that some technologies we probably haven't set a good example in governing how we use them in our stewardship. In terms of a family what does a parent do when the kids fight over the toys? He confiscates them and makes them earn it back, or if its been going on long enough they don't get it back. Maybe some toys will be too much temptation. Technologies that make it so we don't love one another probably won't be allowed to remain. The concept behind robots is they are used by man to replace our brothers and sisters. So why would we think they would remain when the whole goal of robots has always been....lets use robots so we can get rid of some people and not share?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

2 Ne 27:27

For shall the work say of him that made it, he made me not? Or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, he had no understanding?
Shall there be a robot uprising?
:lol:

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Heh. Isn't that scripture clever? I noticed it a bit ago and I thought wow that scripture is so clever. It's really talking to atheists and evolutionists that deny God. There's a couple like it like one is shall the axe say to the man that heweth with it deny it or something like that. They are so clever that it's impossible that they aren't for our day.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Since all prophesy of the future days come after the technologies we currently have, I think it is appropriate to see how those fit into revelation.

I think technology is more often than not a counterfeit to God's power or a tool to be used for specific purposes that often turns into a trap. I think of the Tower of Babel. I also believe we haven't the faintest idea of the kinds of technology that have existed and been destroyed, probably many times over, in the history of the world. We have evidence of such in the many unexplained mysteries of history.

I think God's tech is in fact faith. For example, when Christ healed the blind, he didn't pull out a gadget to do it, he used priesthood power and things God created.

Even the Liahona and Urim and Thummim were not man tech, but creations of God given to man. And if I understand correctly, they had more to do with bolstering the faith of the users, than actual needed purpose. (Didn't Joseph stop needing the Urim and Thummim at some point because his faith had increased?)

Another example, because I think my last one could be argued and misunderstood.

Think of Noah and Nephi building boats. One could argue that they used technology inspired by God. True. But in both instances that was not revealed by experience and study, but literally by inspiration and as far as we know, the technology wasn't saved and shared, but used for a specific purpose. (That isn't to say we aren't to learn things by study and faith, but there are obvious exceptions to the study part when it is part of God's plan to act only on faith.)

The power behind the Liahona and Urim and Thummim wasn't a plug in a wall, it was literally faith.

See Hebrews 11 for more on faith with regard to creation (All creation, not just "the Creation.")

There is something to be said too for the idea that just because something can be known doesn't mean it should be known. . . yet. I know that sounds weird. Let me explain, there are things that we are taught that are true, but may only be known when one is ready. For example, my kids have a basic idea of how I drive the car, I have told them about the gas pedal, brakes, and steering. But I don't talk much more about it then that, and I certainly don't put them in the driver's seat at 5 to finish the teaching process. I wait until they are old enough.

Sometimes knowledge, though true, can be learned or "stolen" before its time. For example, it is possible for a person without true intent lie and get baptized and get a temple recommend and "learn" what happens in the temple. It doesn't benefit them to do so, and it in fact it causes spiritual harm, but it is still possible.

It is possible for man to use technology to do a great many things that may be contrary to God's will and commandments. We have seen from the scriptures that sometimes God allows people to do so, so that their punishment will be just.

It can also be argued that God allows men to do things he wishes they wouldn't and then let good people use those traps Satan created to the benefit of his work. (Think Satan trying to frustrate the plan by giving Eve the fruit, only to find that leaving the Garden of Eden was a necessary part of the plan.)

I would distinguish between robotics and AI though in the prophecies of the last days.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

Elder Bednar's talk "Things as they really are"
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2010/06/thin ... e?lang=eng

Moses 4:3 Wherefore, because that Satan rebelled against me, and sought to destroy the agency of man, which I, the Lord God, had given him, and also, that I should give unto him mine own power; by the power of mine Only Begotten, I caused that he should be cast down.

Rev 13:15 And he (second beast) had power to give life unto the image of the beast (image of wounded first beast), that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would no worship the image of the beast should be killed.

James-T-Prout
captain of 50

Post by James-T-Prout »

Yes, I know of some technology ideas shown in scripture, but that aren't totally here yet.

1. (easy) The Mark of the Beast - both sides of the fence now are calling this an implanted chip in the arm. The religious people, and the secret combinations both say that this is happening.
We have this now for dogs, cats, and for military men, but not for the whole population of the world in general.

2. the stingers that come from the back of the flying vehicles in the 5th and 6th Trumpet and Vial of John's Revelation

3. the incredible technology to take down the 4th Beast Kingdom and kick it out of American. (yet future)
This tech is from the Lost 10 Tribes of Israel. It's good enough to bring the armies reclaiming America to it's knees so that the Stout Horn's armies withdraw.

4. From my reading of Isaiah, there could also be some more, but it's much more vague that John the Revelator.

Best,
James T. Prout

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

moving2zion wrote: November 14th, 2017, 10:08 pm I have lurked for a long time. Decided to cross back into the black.
Does anyone know of any prophecies about the roll of robotics during the last days or millennium? Any statements from general authorities on the role they are to play? Any posts from NDEs relating to the same?
I know I sound crazy but I was used in the government black projects, and one of my flashbacks was an exercise for my spirit to go inside a super soldier robot and try to control it.

harakim
captain of 1,000

Post by harakim »

Are you having flash backs to your life or to a life that existing in the "future" that you have already experienced?

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

James-T-Prout wrote: November 20th, 2017, 2:38 pm Yes, I know of some technology ideas shown in scripture, but that aren't totally here yet.

1. (easy) The Mark of the Beast - both sides of the fence now are calling this an implanted chip in the arm. The religious people, and the secret combinations both say that this is happening.
We have this now for dogs, cats, and for military men, but not for the whole population of the world in general.

2. the stingers that come from the back of the flying vehicles in the 5th and 6th Trumpet and Vial of John's Revelation

3. the incredible technology to take down the 4th Beast Kingdom and kick it out of American. (yet future)
This tech is from the Lost 10 Tribes of Israel. It's good enough to bring the armies reclaiming America to it's knees so that the Stout Horn's armies withdraw.

4. From my reading of Isaiah, there could also be some more, but it's much more vague that John the Revelator.

Best,
James T. Prout
1) I don't know anybody on the other side of the fence who is calling RFID chips the mark of the beast.

2) The stingers sound to me like tail rotors of helicopters.

4) I don't recall where it is, but there was something in Isaiah that sounded exactly to me like a description of a modern mechanized infantry. It was much clearer than John's description of what sounds like attack helicopters.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

inho wrote: November 15th, 2017, 3:27 am
2 Ne 27:27

For shall the work say of him that made it, he made me not? Or shall the thing framed say of him that framed it, he had no understanding?
Shall there be a robot uprising?
:lol:

Robots now return aggression. :P

Juliet
captain of 1,000

Post by Juliet »

We all used to be intelligence. In the garden of Eden, Jesus gave us our knowledge, or self awareness. Something that at times He regrets.

Moses 7:
32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;

33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;

Intelligence doesn't understand good or evil. It cannot be created or destroyed, and therefore has no concept of death. Without which it cannot know right from wrong.

The scriptures talk about the mark of the beast. I believe this includes AI. People will want to merge with a computer system thinking it will enhance them. But they don't understand we are so far past the intelligence of computers, choosing to merge with them is so incredibly stupid and insulting to the knowledge God has given us. Talk about trading our birth right for a mess of pottage.

Through the Holy Spirit we can know they truth of all things. We must learn to rely upon it instead of the flesh. What a great deception it would be to trust a computer over the Holy Spirit.

Eulate
captain of 100

Post by Eulate »

I couldn't agree more with you.

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

https://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/ite ... nstoppable

24 September 2019
Big-tech Titan: Killer Robots’ Rise “Unstoppable”

There has been much talk lately about robots taking jobs, but the even scarier prospect is robots taking lives. This is inevitable, too, says president of Microsoft, Brad Smith. In fact, he warned in a recent Telegraph interview that governments need to consider the ethical questions raised by the development of battlefield robots.

The term “killer robots” may conjure up images of the virtually indestructible automaton assassin in the film Terminator, and that is roughly what’s at issue. No, these robots wouldn’t be covered with imitation human flesh or travel through time, but they would be lethal autonomous weapons systems that would choose targets in accordance with their programming. And, as with nuclear bombs, machine guns, and aircraft, they would be, as Brookings Institution warfare futurist Peter W. Singer put it, a battlefield “game changer.”

As for Smith, he “said the rapidly advancing technology, in which flying, swimming or walking drones can be equipped with lethal weapons systems — missiles, bombs or guns — ... ‘ultimately will spread… to many countries’,” reports the Telegraph. Of course, this is just stating the obvious. Whether machine guns in 1900 or nuclear devices today, nations always seek the latest and most effective weaponry.

Thus, the “US, China, Israel, South Korea, Russia and the UK are all developing weapon systems with a significant degree of autonomy in the critical functions of selecting and attacking targets,” the Telegraph continues.

“The technology is a growing focus for many militaries because replacing troops with machines can make the decision to go to war easier.”

This makes the technology an especially frightening prospect for nations not possessing it: An attacker equipped with it could launch a war while perhaps incurring few or no human casualties, while a target country without the technology would have to spill its blood.

This is why, while thousands “of Google employees have signed a pledge not to develop AI for use in weapons,” the Telegraph writes, explaining that there’s a backlash against this technology, their effort is childish and misguided. As with unilateral nuclear disarmament, it only ensures that you’ll one day be left at bad actors’ mercy.

Worried about mercilessness, “Smith said killer robots must ‘not be allowed to decide on their own to engage in combat and who to kill’” and that we “‘need more urgent action, and we need it in the form of a digital Geneva Convention, rules that will protect civilians and soldiers,’” the Telegraph relates.

“Speaking at the launch of his new book, Tools and Weapons, at the Microsoft store in London’s Oxford Circus, Smith said there was also a need for stricter international rules over the use of facial recognition technology and other emerging forms of artificial intelligence,” the paper continues.

Speaking of which, while “killer robots’” emergence is a given, a scarier prospect still is something that currently lies in science-fiction’s realm. Some scientists worry that — as portrayed in the film Terminator 2: Judgment Day with its “Skynet” — future artificially intelligent robots could develop self-awareness, consciousness, and rebel against humans.

For example, Subhash Kak, a professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Oklahoma University, told the Daily Star in 2017 that if “indeed machines become self-aware, they will be cunning and they will bide their time and choose the best moment to take over and enslave, if not kill, us.”

A more optimistic view, at least about the autonomous systems on the horizon, was presented by Georgia Institute of Technology roboticist Professor Ronald Arkin. While he said in 2012 that he’s “not a proponent of lethal autonomous systems,” their inevitability makes him a proponent of ensuring that their introduction is managed “in a controlled and guided manner.” In fact, he believes that robots could conceivably make better ethical battlefield decisions than soldiers, on average.

Yet another issue is a deeper problem that scientists, not generally given to thorough philosophical examination, don’t articulate: The now-common mechanistic view, especially in scientific circles, that we’re all just robots — organic ones comprising some pounds of chemicals and water. This idea is central to our moral decline. If it were true and there were no God, after all, there would be no right or wrong in a true sense, only the illusion of it that pseudo-intellectuals like calling “social constructs.” And if this is so, then nothing could be wrong with terminating an organic robot’s function.

Since we long ago left Eden, new technology would pose threats regardless. But this problem is exacerbated by the deadly mix that is our great technological rise combined with our profound moral decline. In fact, if you want truly sociopathic mechanical killers, just program the robots with the moral relativism/nihilism currently characterizing Western pseudo-elites.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

However technology is used in the future against the righteous, I think it is worth noting that low tech can beat high tech, like the Navajo code talkers in WWII.

Here's a Marine General in 2002 winning at war games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9b1DG86a4k

And a Swedish submarine at another war game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saCdvAp5cow