Earthquake Protection?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Earthquake Protection?

Post by Jonesy »

Folks at home, folks at home...

Are there any geologists out there that can explain why North America (west) is nearly the only portion of the Ring of Fire not getting large earthquakes? I’ve been following earthquakes for a while now, and this seems to be the case most of the time. I apologize for the subpar images. Feel free to link to a better one. These pictures show earthquakes with magnitude 4.5 and above for the past month.

I feel like we’ve been protected for quite a while now, and the pressure is surely building and ready to snap!

28FC0FF9-F34F-4AEA-AB48-C93409C026FD.jpeg
28FC0FF9-F34F-4AEA-AB48-C93409C026FD.jpeg (226.9 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
B99D7F4D-9C0A-47B8-8139-97C8A10C1586.jpeg
B99D7F4D-9C0A-47B8-8139-97C8A10C1586.jpeg (189.2 KiB) Viewed 1648 times

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Earthquake Protection?

Post by gkearney »

You would want to ask if there has been many small quakes in the North America area such might be releasing energy over time.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

gkearney wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:42 pm You would want to ask if there has been many small quakes in the North America area such might be releasing energy over time.
Good to know. So, you’re saying the little ones relieve the pressure buildup, and thereby delay or mitigate bigger ones?

I’m just going by memory here, but it seems like the larger earthquakes have been moving closer from Chile (always some earthquakes) on up more north to Mexico; like it’s creeping further up north to us. That’s probably not even the case or has anything to do with it, but that’s what it seems like.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

Jonesy wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm
gkearney wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:42 pm You would want to ask if there has been many small quakes in the North America area such might be releasing energy over time.
Good to know. So, you’re saying the little ones relieve the pressure buildup, and thereby delay or mitigate bigger ones?

I’m just going by memory here, but it seems like the larger earthquakes have been moving closer from Chile (always some earthquakes) on up more north to Mexico; like it’s creeping further up north to us. That’s probably not even the case or has anything to do with it, but that’s what it seems like.
I don't know. Taiwan had small tremors for years, then a big one, then tremors and earthquakes after that for years. I think Japan is similar.

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Jonesy wrote: November 1st, 2017, 9:54 pm

From Berkeley Seismology Lab

Can small EQ's relieve stress to prevent large ones?

If you look at earthquake statistics in most regions of the world, including California, you will find that for every magnitude 5 earthquake, there are about 10 that have a magnitude of 4, and for each magnitude 4, there are 10 with magnitude 3. Unfortunately, this means there are not enough small earthquakes to relieve enough stress to prevent the large events. In fact, it would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, or 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy produced in one magnitude 6 event.

The Answer, not given hahahaha or yes and no

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them. Look up Dutchsinse

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Hivetyrant36 wrote: November 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them. Look up Dutchsinse
Now this seems odd, are you suggesting that the entire population of the West Coast of the US and Canada, including members of these forums, are somehow in on a vast conspiracy with the USGS to keep us from knowing about earthquakes of a magnitude to be felt over a wide area? Sorry I’m not buying that one.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

gkearney wrote: November 4th, 2017, 7:34 pm
Hivetyrant36 wrote: November 4th, 2017, 6:55 pm OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them. Look up Dutchsinse
Now this seems odd, are you suggesting that the entire population of the West Coast of the US and Canada, including members of these forums, are somehow in on a vast conspiracy with the USGS to keep us from knowing about earthquakes of a magnitude to be felt over a wide area? Sorry I’m not buying that one.
That's exactly what is being insinuated.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

That image went missing from There is an Amazing Way to Prevent Some Earthquakes

There you may observe the fracture occurred where the land is thick, but the water is shallow.

It happened during strong solar activity, and the shallow water prolly concentrated the current, heating the rocks, then Katlia doused the hot rocks, kinda like pouring cold water into a hot glass.

CRACK

Pic posted in the OP looks to show the presence of water is a factor.

Earthquake prone areas in the United States don’t suffer from a lack of rainfall, this may not be the case elsewhere. :?:

Wet soil will better conduct induced currents and help prevent overheating. :ugeek:

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Hivetyrant36 wrote: November 5th, 2017, 1:52 pmThe two specific quakes I am talking about aren't where people live. One in the Pacific, 5.6, and one in northern midwest Canada, which swooped along the land until it's energy hit in Thermopolis.
OK let's just check the USGS about these two, shall we? What's this? Do my eyes deceive me? Perhaps my I'm not using my brain but low and behold the USGS has the Thermopolis event listed:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... #executive

But wait there's more! The USGS also lists several quakes in the Pacific as well:

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us1000aq3b
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us1000arj3
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... nc72852151
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us2000atbf

Goodness for an agency your accusing of not listing earthquakes the USGA is sure doing a terrible job at hiding this information from us! Someone from TPTB need to whip those geologist into shape and tell them what the program is. I mean putting all this information on the public internet this way. Clearly someone in Washington is trying to make you look like a fool, which wouldn't be that hard.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

I looked Dutchsinse up and found this;

https://www.snopes.com/2017/03/01/dutch ... or-tremor/

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

Oh, let's look up what you said, I know memory is such a difficult concept for you so I will remind you.

On 05 Nov 2017, 08:55 you said "OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them. Look up Dutchsinse"

Remember that? Oh of course not. But you clearly said on 05 Nov 2017, 08:55 that the west is getting large earthquakes "but USGS is not reporting them". Clearly this is not the case. As the example of the Pacific earthquake and the resulting records from the USGS prove. You're going to need to come up with an unreported earthquake here. Now I suppose you could just make one up just like you did with the claim that the USGS is not reporting large earthquakes, see the quote above in case you have forgotten what you said.

Your problem is you made something up but didn't expect anyone to take the time to check out what you were saying.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

You pretend the USGS is the only source of seismic information, excluding the fact that earthquakes are also detected by seismographs at universities monitored by professors, graduate students, and undergraduate students. Many of these are continually streamed online so anybody can see them. So suddenly your imaginary conspiracy involves thousands of university geological science programs and the entire internet.

But wait, there's more! Seismic waves are also detected by hydrophones, meaning that NOAA, the US Navy, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, marine sciences programs, and people on the internet who listen to data streamed from hydrophones are also in on the conspiracy.

Let's apply Occam's Razor to your claims and see what is more likely to be true.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Hivetyrant36 wrote: November 5th, 2017, 1:52 pm Having said that, it doesn't take a population following a cover-up. As long as the official source denies it, the witnesses will be considered crazy. USGS is not reporting 2 large Earthquakes that civilians are, and that is how we know about them. Maybe try to use your brain before talking. It usually helps.
Yes, I recall August 2014. A bunch of kooks in the East Bay area of California claimed to have felt an earthquake, some even showing pictures of damage or seismograph data. But MSNBC said nothing happened so we know there wasn't really a magnitude 6.0 earthquale, 11.3 km deep on the West Napa fault.

But the really crazy one was several years earlier in southern California, when anchors pretended there was an earthquake in the middle of a live broadcast. So many people saw that transmission and duped themselves into believing it really happened! People went around their houses knocking things over, workers at stores knocked product off shelves, and a few people even caused brick walls to collapse so they could say there was an earthquake!

By the way, Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

oxbloodangel
captain of 100

Post by oxbloodangel »

gkearney wrote: November 4th, 2017, 7:34 pm
I've seen on earthquake pages on facebook where people from California are alarmed at the higher magnitude earthquakes or earthquake swarms. Citizens are reporting them, but when the USGS isn't backing you up, you generally don't get believed, even if you've lived in the state your whole life and say with the authority of a native that things are getting intense.

gkearney
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by gkearney »

It a nice video and the 3D graphics are sort of cool but if you look at his maps and the look at the USGS maps to discover they show the same data point. The fact remains that on 05 Nov 2017, 08:55 you said "OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them.“

I then asked for specific examples of unreported large earthquakes and the examples you provided were in fact reported by the USGS.

Do you now want to claim that you never said On 05 Nov 2017, 08:55 "OH trust me the West IS getting large Earthquakes, but USGS is not reporting them. Look up Dutchsinse"

These forums do provide a mean to delete a post.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

AI2.0 wrote: November 6th, 2017, 9:16 am Maybe what he should do is stop digging in deeper.
In my experience, the type of people who throw insults when someone rebuts them isn't the type to stop digging in deeper. They will either dig the hole deeper while insulting anybody who dares question their nonsense or disappear.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

brianj wrote: November 6th, 2017, 10:05 pm
AI2.0 wrote: November 6th, 2017, 9:16 am Maybe what he should do is stop digging in deeper.
In my experience, the type of people who throw insults when someone rebuts them isn't the type to stop digging in deeper. They will either dig the hole deeper while insulting anybody who dares question their nonsense or disappear.
Hopefully he's gone quiet because he knows he violated board guidelines with his inappropriate slurs against you and Gkearney.

creator
(of the Forum)

Post by creator »

AI2.0 wrote: November 7th, 2017, 9:35 amHopefully he's gone quiet because he knows he violated board guidelines with his inappropriate slurs against you and Gkearney.
That user has now been banned.