Unprecedented Space Discovery - Astronomical Phenomenon

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Unprecedented Space Discovery - Astronomical Phenomenon

Post by Jonesy »

I put this in the "Last Days / Signs of the Times", because we all know what this means...

"ESO will hold a press conference on 16 October 2017 at 16:00 CEST, at its Headquarters in Garching, Germany, to present groundbreaking observations of an astronomical phenomenon that has never been witnessed before."

https://www.eso.org/public/announcements/ann17071/

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Re: Unprecedented Space Discovery - Astronomical Phenomenon

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

I’ll be interested to find out. Probably nothing though, as usual. If it is a planet, well, it would depend on its orbit but we all know what joseph Smith tells us that the sign of the coming of the Son of Man will be.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Well, they got my interest. However, I think it won't be anything mindblowing.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

LIGO scientists are giving a press conference at exactly same time. There have been rumours circulating about a gravitational wave observation which was accompanied by an electromagnetic signal observed by regular telescopes. Two colliding neutron stars could cause that.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Here's another article - a little easier to read:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sp ... 9699db1f01

LukeAir2008
captain of 1,000

Post by LukeAir2008 »

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFJjrD5pq_I[/youtube]
Not sure how to get the video to imbed

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Hivetyrant36 wrote: October 16th, 2017, 5:18 pm
Not sure how to get the video to imbed
Just erase everything including and before the =.

I feel very underwhelmed about the discovery...Great video, though.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Re: An Unprecedented Space Non-Discovery - An Astronomical Non-Phenomenon

Post by Jonesy »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 16th, 2017, 6:44 pm
Jonesy wrote: October 16th, 2017, 5:43 pm I feel very underwhelmed about the discovery...Great video, though.
They came out with a video debunking the announcement on the very same day that the announcement was made? Lol!
I'm beginning to see that modern science can be a joke. Or maybe they're just putting too much weight on previously believed theories that could actually be wrong.

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

The guys talking are the project leads for the channel, and all it would take is some footage, slap it onto some narration, and bam, you have a video giving your opinion of the "discovery" of visible gravity waves. Their opinion had already been formed and they've made video's about science's claims of gravity waves before. I would guess that the video I shared would have taken maybe a maximum of 3 hours to make. Maximum. Meaning, I could probably do one at the same quality in an hour, if I was the narrator and had a recording of Wal's voiceover.

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: An Unprecedented Space Non-Discovery - An Astronomical Non-Phenomenon

Post by inho »

LDS Anarchist wrote: October 16th, 2017, 6:44 pm They came out with a video debunking the announcement on the very same day that the announcement was made? Lol!
Did they? I missed the part where they address the recent observation. I thought it was all about the observation of gravitational waves in general, it talked about black holes, whereas the recent observation was about neutron stars. The video was quite silly. They basically completely dismiss the theory of general relativity and use Newton's gravity.

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I'm not qualified to even begin to understand whether what was detected was valid. I have no real reason to disbelieve, but I am always skeptical when told that something is true that is not intuitive and that I cannot experience or understand myself. So much of the universe seems to be made up of stuff we can't see or detect that it begins to stretch credulity. Can we really tell from these tiny signals that gravity has waves and Neutron stars collided (or that they even exist)? I often feel like an infant trying to make sense of calculus when pondering these things; except there seems to be a possibility that the calculus is actually gibberish in this case.

I am pleased that there are scientists who are trying to poke holes at it as that leads to truth and accuracy.

Hivetyrant36
captain of 100

Post by Hivetyrant36 »

Serragon wrote: October 17th, 2017, 6:19 pm I'm not qualified to even begin to understand whether what was detected was valid. I have no real reason to disbelieve, but I am always skeptical when told that something is true that is not intuitive and that I cannot experience or understand myself. So much of the universe seems to be made up of stuff we can't see or detect that it begins to stretch credulity. Can we really tell from these tiny signals that gravity has waves and Neutron stars collided (or that they even exist)? I often feel like an infant trying to make sense of calculus when pondering these things; except there seems to be a possibility that the calculus is actually gibberish in this case.

I am pleased that there are scientists who are trying to poke holes at it as that leads to truth and accuracy.
It's designed to be hard to understand because it's all lies. The more people who can understand it, the more public scrutiny the published works are under. Scientists write papers to keep their jobs and government funding, not to make discoveries.