NFL - Sign of the Times?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: NFL - Sign of the Times?

Post by Elizabeth »

"In a written statement Monday, Louisiana state Rep. Kenny Havard said he was willing to pull state funding and tax breaks from the New Orleans Saints over the decision of 10 members of the Saints to sit during the national anthem on Sunday.”

https://conservativetribune.com/louisia ... tyalliance

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

ajax wrote: September 27th, 2017, 9:47 am
Seek the Truth wrote: September 27th, 2017, 5:03 am
ajax wrote: September 26th, 2017, 12:28 pm Playing the national anthem before games or any other entertainment event is stupid. It unnecessarily politicizes the event.

And it makes ding dong hyper nationalists exact conformity out of other patrons.

The practice ought to be scraped.
No.
Of course it ought to be. It's nonsense. A perfect tool of state indoctrination. And we slobber all over it.
If you can't sing an anthem at a football game where can you sing it?

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

Jonesy wrote: September 26th, 2017, 9:09 pm I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kaepernick this whole time. It originated with him. He allegedly went from just sitting on the bench during the anthem, to at least taking a knee to show more respect. I'll give him that.

According to him:
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder"
To me, this seems different than what came from Martin Luther King Jr. or Gandhi that led to their respective civil rights movements. This is almost like fighting against racism in general, which is fine. But it's like protesting for world peace; that's awesome, but it ain't gonna happen. If you want to get more particular, all the police injustices have to be left up to the courts and fair trials, or particulars which we may actually never know or learn about. Again, it leads back to the injustice of racism.

Anyways, as for myself, I'll stand for the anthem. I love this country. Every single time I get chills when we're standing all united. On my mission in a different country, I got chills listening to their anthem. Not sure if I'll get the chills taking a knee. Maybe I'll try it once, but something doesn't feel right just thinking about it. I can't remember where I read it, but this just seems more about a culture war than anything. If people don't want to stand up for the anthem, I'm okay with that too. Maybe we're all just trying to make a big stink.

And does our nation suffer from sports idolization? Yes.
This whole BLM movement is a lie. Kaepernick thinks the police are using deadly force at a higher rate on blacks than whites. That is a lie. The whole kneeling thing is built on lies.

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Here's a good article hitting all the good points by Brandon Smith (in part):
Let's summarize the actual problem...

If NFL players refused to stand for the national anthem because they believed in the ideals it represents but felt that our government no longer represented those ideals, then I would be in full support of their motives. Obviously, this is not why they are protesting. If their motivation was about speaking against corrupt government, then they would have refused to stand for the anthem back when Barack Obama, a Constitution-wrecking cabana boy for the elites, was in office.

If Trump's attacks on the NFL were motivated by a love of liberty as the anthem inspires, then he would not demand that players be forced to stand, which is indeed a violation of their First Amendment rights. Instead, he would have dropped that concept completely and stuck with the rational side of his position, which was for spectators to vote with their wallets and stop supporting the league with their dollars.

The bottom line is, whether or not you or I support their motives, constitutionally, legal precedence is on the side of the players. They have every right to act like &!@$#%$ on an SJW plantation, kneeling and virtue signaling to their heart's content. And, the public has every right to stop watching the NFL, drop their ESPN subscriptions, throw their overpriced sports jerseys in the trash and move on to more important issues... like what the hell is all this nonsense with North Korea? And why do we keep hearing about economic recovery when the average American can't make it from month-to-month without running up their credit cards? And why are so many of us so damn fat and unhealthy?
http://www.alt-market.com/articles/3286 ... le-&!@$#%$

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Can someone please help me see this more clearly?

I already have my own thoughts about my question, but I don't want to influence the answers. Maybe later if they need to be addressed.

This is about racism. What if there was a movement about bullying? Or let's even say there was a movement for world peace. Is there a problem with that? What is different about this movement against racism?

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

At first I was annoyed at Colin K. for not standing for the pledge. Then I read this story and, I confess, my feelings shifted. We don't have to agree on everything to agree on something, or to respect someone's choice even if you don't agree.

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco- ... ect-change

RocknRoll
captain of 100

Post by RocknRoll »

GrandMasterB wrote: September 25th, 2017, 9:06 pm
I agree that it can be a form of idol worship. When people are willing to break the Sabbath to watch sports I would think that conveys a message to the Lord it is more important to you than worshipping Him. In that respect it is a form of idol worship. There are many people who know more about sports teams than they do about the gospel. Many spend way more time studying sports than they do the scriptures. I think it is designed that way. To be a distraction.
I agree that we should all boycott the NFL this year, but where do you get that watching sports is “breaking the Sabbath”? Is it just sports, or is watching TV in general (on Sunday) breaking the Sabbath?