BYU Now Offering Caffeine on Campus

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Re: BYU Now Offering Caffeine on Campus

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Arandur wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:03 pm Pros:
-May lead some church members to stop treating purely cultural behavior as the pure doctrine of the gospel, and reexamine their actual motives for their choices.
-May reduce judgmental attitudes among church members over this relatively trivial issue.
-Good material for memes.

Cons:
-Caffeine. :(

Should at least be interesting to see how people react, if at all.

If it's a con then I think you may want to boot chocolate as well. ;)

I drink Dr Pepper - Sometimes I will take a break from drinking soda for a few years. I think the sugar and the carbonation may be worse. I don't get headaches and I am fine not drinking it for a few days but it it's available I will drink it. I know there are some people that need it almost as much as air.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

e-eye2.0 wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 10:19 am
Arandur wrote: September 21st, 2017, 6:03 pm Pros:
-May lead some church members to stop treating purely cultural behavior as the pure doctrine of the gospel, and reexamine their actual motives for their choices.
-May reduce judgmental attitudes among church members over this relatively trivial issue.
-Good material for memes.

Cons:
-Caffeine. :(

Should at least be interesting to see how people react, if at all.

If it's a con then I think you may want to boot chocolate as well. ;)

I drink Dr Pepper - Sometimes I will take a break from drinking soda for a few years. I think the sugar and the carbonation may be worse. I don't get headaches and I am fine not drinking it for a few days but it it's available I will drink it. I know there are some people that need it almost as much as air.
Well, I'd say sugar's also a con, but... :lol:

Technically I don't even have a hard rule against caffeine, but the last caffeinated drink I had was years ago. I think I could count the times I've had one on my hands. I've got candy in general pretty heavily restricted, chocolate or otherwise, but not to the same extent as caffeinated drinks. I'll have a bit on special occasions. Same with soda - and usually if I'm going to have it I'll mix one part Sprite with three or four parts grape/apple juice. Still tons of sugar, but it cuts back on the carbonation and tastes better anyway.

The only sweet I'm really hooked on is a nice big bowl of ice cream during the summer. 8-)

Serragon
captain of 1,000

Post by Serragon »

I believe that we put way too much emphasis on the WOW. It has always bothered me that people who are otherwise willing to make the covenant of baptism with the Lord are not allowed to do so because they drink coffee or smoke. Likewise that people who struggle with addictions like tobacco are kept from the temple.

I think relaxing these restrictions that were based on an extra-scriptural interpretation of the WOW is a good thing. I hope in the future we will eliminate the WOW as a measuring stick for righteousness and return it to its rightful place as simply wisdom from a loving God for our benefit.

Arandur
captain of 100

Post by Arandur »

Yahtzee wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 10:01 am I went to BYU one year. I left after my roommate went off on me for bringing Pepsi into our dorm. And getting dirty looks from students on campus as I sipped its deliciousness on my way to class. Hated being around such self righteous judgement.
Personal opinion, obviously, but I have found sugar to be more addictive than caffeine. So unless caffeine is actually prohibited in the word of wisdom or by modern revelation (and it's not) this is forcing one person's interpretation of scripture into others.
Allowing Sprite but not Coke implies that gobs of sugar is perfectly acceptable for our health. Obviously it isn't, but I don't think many are inquiring of the Lord. They use BYU policy instead to make their choices. It's a big problem that the saints are only looking to salt lake for answers to how they should use their agency.
Well said. This strikes at the heart of it for me. Initiating rant in 3, 2, 1,

We can debate endlessly whether caffeinated drinks are outright violations of the Word of Wisdom by the spirit of the law, or whatever. Regardless of the answer, if there is one, I feel pretty confident in saying that the self-righteous have the greater sin here. That goes double if they are eating sugar and especially meat like there's no tomorrow, which most are. Don't get me wrong, I've got no beef (heh) with someone who's eating lots of meat. That's entirely between them and the Lord, and I don't know their heart or their circumstances. But if we're holding others to standards beyond the letter of the law, we could at least be sure that we're doing what section 89 actually says. If eating tons of meat is acceptable just because it's not temple-recommend enforced, even though it's explicitly in canonized scripture that it's to be used sparingly, or under certain circumstances, how is drinking caffeine any worse, as bad as it may be for our health?

Time for a potentially controversial opinion: I don't believe that there's one "correct" application of the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is an opportunity to seek and be guided by divine revelation. That revelation will be individualized. Say we have 3 people who all follow the temple-recommend-style letter of the law. With regard to the word of wisdom, the Holy Ghost may prompt person A to entirely drop processed sugar, caffeine, meat in times of plenty, and diet sodas. The Spirit may prompt person B to simply cut back on soda consumption a bit, and person C to focus their efforts on other aspects of their life that are more critical for them at the time and do whatever they feel is best in this department, and so C goes on eating exactly as they have been: soda, caffeine, sweets, etc., maybe in excess, but starts exercising and continues to abstain from tobacco and the like. All 3 people follow the guidance they have received. Are any of them failing to follow the Word of Wisdom? No. Why? Because they're all following the letter of the law, and being obedient to the voice of the Spirit! Not the voice of the brethren alone - that's necessary but not sufficient. Not just the voice of scholarly and scientific health research, personal experiences, and other forms of data and facts about sugar and caffeine and carbonation - that's all useful and relevant but not definitive. If A decides that C is disobedient, sinful, and trying to scrape by on the bare minimum, A has the greater sin. Likewise, if C thinks A is prideful and just trying to check all the boxes to secure a place in heaven, C has the greater sin. When it comes to the spirit of the law, which is anything not explicitly outlined in a commandment, we're not generally in a position to decide or accurately determine what's right for everyone else.

I've heard a few different arguments on the topic that go against this way of thinking, both on this forum and elsewhere, that I want to touch on. This may turn out to be a series of strawman fallacies. I'll sincerely try to avoid that, but I want to get my thoughts out there on what's been said.

1. "BYU's encouraging/facilitating caffeine, which is really bad for people, and making a profit off of it. That's not right."
This is a fair point. Maybe it's not right. But they've been selling Cougar tails (insanely large maple bars loaded with fat and sugar), donuts, soda, and candy for ages. I'm not sure how much better that is than caffeine. See Yahtzee's point above. Considering how small of a jump this is from where they already were, they've made bigger mistakes. Besides, where do we draw the line? I would argue that we don't. Once again, the Lord draws the line. Since this decision isn't over the line given to the church as a whole, any other line we perceive BYU to be crossing is likely the one the Lord has given to us as an individual, not the one he's given them. So it's between the folks at BYU who made the decision and the Lord. Offering our uninformed opinions on the matter of what He wants them to do feels pointless.

2. "But the Spirit definitely told me XXX was bad. So it's bad!"
Great! Do as you're directed and avoid it. But that doesn't imply that others have received the same direction, or even that others would receive it if they were more righteous or had better spiritual hearing. Maybe you've got a particular inclination to be harmed by, abusive of, or addicted to XXX and should definitely stay clear, while person C doesn't and so that direction isn't urgent for them. Maybe it's entirely unnecessary or even harmfully distracting from more important things for person C. You received personal revelation, not revelation for the church.

3. "But anyone who knows anything can see that XXX is harmful! We're supposed to be agents to act and not be acted upon. They shouldn't even need a prompting to stop XXX."
I agree that this seems true about a lot of things. I will say I'm sympathetic to this with regards to caffeine. But we all do things that are harmful to us. Knowingly. And I'm not so sure it's obvious to everyone that the harm XXX does matters that much in the big picture. Maybe for some it doesn't. The Lord has emphasized which things He finds most important for everyone to do/avoid by way of commandments to the church. Everything else may still be important and maybe even critical for some, but by implication of not being a commandment to all, it's not clear to me how or why it's necessary for everyone to prioritize the XXX issue immediately. And so the Spirit won't tell everyone immediately, and not everyone will decide on their own that they want to improve some given aspect of their lives that I happen to think is important. And that's ok. Far worse are those who seeks to impose their own will over someone else's, condemning that which they have neither the right nor the understanding to condemn - how others have chosen to use their agency to act and not be acted upon.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

My doctor prescribed a caffeinated soda and told me to drink it as much as I can to ensure good health. His name? Dr. Pepper! :)

oneClimbs
captain of 1,000

Post by oneClimbs »

I was never a big soda guy, Sprite was what I'd usually drink if I did at all. I drank Dr. Pepper occasionally as a Junior in High School. My drink was actually orange juice. I drank other juices in the mission field but then noticed how much sugar was in them and I switched to water. I like the water from our well that passes through a reverse osmosis filter, it's sweet and refreshing. I carry around a Yeti-style tumbler and drink a lot of water.

Soda is probably fine occasionally but one per day is probably way too much. The sugar alone is probably the most unhealthy thing about it. I think people get addicted and buzzed from the sugar vs the caffeine.

I can see BYU not offering coffee or tea since there is a specific revelation that says they are "not for the belly" but there isn't a reason to ban something like soda. I agree that this will hopefully de-stigmatize soft drinks with cultural myths and instead promote more of a discussion about how they are just plain bad for your health. Again, it's fine to have a treat every now and then and it should be up to people to make those decisions for themselves. Teach correct principles...

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Sunain wrote: September 21st, 2017, 3:16 pm More pressure from the outside world. Caffeine is an addictive drug that is added to drinks like soda for the sole purpose of getting people addicted to it. Why the church still refuses to come out and directly say that drinks with caffeine added to it are against the Word of Wisdom is beyond me.
Actually, the church came out a couple of years ago and specifically said that caffeinated soda was not part of the word of wisdom(and I believe they'd said this in the past as well, but it keeps getting ignored), so good luck waiting for them to come out and say the opposite.

People do not need to be 'commanded' in all things. If you don't think you should consume anything with caffeine in it, because you think it's bad for the body, then don't. But, it really is the right thing for the church to allow you and me to make our own minds up on some things, especially since becoming 'addicted' to caffeine is not going to make someone have blackouts, not be able to hold down a job, get liver disease or beat their children--because it doesn't alter a person's personality. And honestly, for some people, it's not addictive, they can drink it or not drink it. After all, what's it going to hurt to let each person decide through prayer whether caffeine is something they should abstain from?

I support BYU on their decision because I trust that they are trying to do what is right. I'm sure the leaders prayed and pondered over the decision. And, if I don't want to buy a caffeinated drink, I don't have to. I still have choice.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Juliet wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 3:07 am They are going to sell caffeinated beverages because they want to make money. Even if it may not be healthy, even if it is a little bit harmful, they are going to sell it because it will make them money.

This decision was made because someone was looking at their profit margins and realizing BYU is losing money to competition by not selling caffeinated beverages.

Of course, they are not responsible for the large amount of people drinking caffein, but nor are the students responsible for drinking caffein if BYU sells it, a school that has every one sign a word of wisdom contract in order to attend, a school that publicly announces its values and expects students to adhere to them. It is deceptively sponsoring caffein by way of having the word of wisdom in the honor code, so thereby it is saying caffein is officially permissible in the word of wisdom. BYU must take responsibility for those who justify their choice to consume caffeine on the belief that if BYU sells it, is must be ok because they wouldn't sell it if it was against the word of wisdom as proven by the honor code.

Sell caffein, but take out the word of wisdom portion of your honor code. You cannot do both. Caffeinated beverages are addictive and they are harmful, and though not stated publicly by the church as against the word of wisdom, it is in the grey area because many people become addicted to these beverages and they are harmful to the body. Again, I am all for letting people make their choices, but if you have a contract sponsoring and valuing physical health and then sale harmful addictive foods to make a profit, you are playing a double game.

They don't need to take the Word of Wisdom out of the honor code, caffeinated soda is not prohibited by the word of wisdom. The church reiterated this just a couple of years ago, I guess some here missed it:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/state-a ... a34b2.html
SALT LAKE CITY -- Mormons are free to down a Coke or Pepsi.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has clarified its position on caffeinated soft drinks, noting the news media often incorrectly states that its members are forbidden to drink caffeine.

This week the church posted a statement on its website saying it "does not prohibit the use of caffeine."

A day later, the website wording was changed, saying only that "the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine."

Church spokesman Scott Trotter said the clarification was made to provide context to last week's NBC News hour-long special on Mormonism that stated Mormons don't drink caffeine.

But church leaders say that doesn't mean they view caffeinated drinks as healthy. They just don't bar members from drinking them.

Some of you need to acknowledge that FACT that drinking caffeinated soda is not considered a violation of the Word of Wisdom, but is left up to each individual member to decide.

Col. Flagg
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Col. Flagg »

This story is quite comical actually - I know of a former Janitor who used to work in the COB who revealed that President Monson was addicted to Diet Coke and typically drank a six-pack every day - he was the one emptying his garbage cans from his office. Diet soft drinks are worse for you than the regular stuff with caffeine and here is the President of the church downing diet Coke like it's going out of style while a story about BYU adding caffeinated beverages to its selection of soft drinks stirs up controversy among many members. :lol:

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Col. Flagg wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 5:31 pm This story is quite comical actually - I know of a former Janitor who used to work in the COB who revealed that President Monson was addicted to Diet Coke and typically drank a six-pack every day - he was the one emptying his garbage cans from his office. Diet soft drinks are worse for you than the regular stuff with caffeine and here is the President of the church downing diet Coke like it's going out of style while a story about BYU adding caffeinated beverages to its selection of soft drinks stirs up controversy among many members. :lol:
Yea, I think I'll believe this when there's more corroboration. I don't think he'd have been drinking a six pack every day and we wouldn't have known about that, obviously too many seem to think drinking coke or pepsi is some kind of sin. I suspect this 'janitor' is embellishing and it also could be that it was one of the secretaries or assistants who was drinking them? But, I'm sure those who want to think the worst of Pres. Monson will be all over this little piece of unsubstantiated gossip.

Col Flagg, did you get the memo???? It's NOT against the word of wisdom so if Pres. Monson wants to drink gallons of it everyday, he can. So can you. I wouldn't advise it, but it won't keep you from being able to say you follow the word of wisdom.

tribrac
captain of 1,000

Post by tribrac »

Awesome we've gone there.

So my cousin's wife's brother daughter was getting a soda at the Maverick or some other convenience store downtown when a friendly gentlemen stepped up next to her. He had an insulated 64 ounce refill mug with no straw, which he filled with pebbled ice and diet dr Pepper up to within an inch of the top, then while he waited for the foam to settle, he smiled at her and said, "If you knew what I knew you would cancel your cruise and buy food storage." Then he topped off his mug with regular Dr Pepper, placed the lid on top, grabbed a thick straw, and went to the cashier to pay. She stood there wondering why that man had seemed so familiar and how he knew she and her husband were saving for a cruise. Just then she heard the cashier say, " Thank you Jeffrey R. Holland, see you tomorrow."

-parts of this post might be fiction.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

This is the problem. Are these reports fiction or not? Destroying the faith of others is not a joking matter.
tribrac wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm -parts of this post might be fiction.

Lyster
captain of 100

Post by Lyster »

No, caffeine is not a specific WoW issue. No, soda is not a specific WoW issue. No, abuse of prescription drugs is not a specific WoW issue. Same for getting exercise, the eating of vegetables, the eating of oils and fats, and a billion other things.

The question is "what is the point behind the word of wisdom?".

Is it good health? Well, yes. Does the Lord care about our bodies? Yes. They are the temple of the Spirit. They are created in His image. They are important. Is it MORE than that? Yes, it is.

Does it say everything that is needful for one to be healthy? No. We are to learn and grow as we go. When the debates rage about caffeine, that's because some have learned that it is not good. When the debates rage about soda, then, the same is true. Is soda good for you? No. It too should be avoided.

But, then again, will it kill you to indulge every once in a while? No. But that's not what it's about. It's adapted to the weakest of all saints. But why would we have a standard that is "hey, you should be this good, and you over there should be this good instead".

Now, why is the Word of Wisdom a temple commandment? Could it have something to do with that MORE that it is? The Word of Wisdom reveals that it came about for the temporal salvation of the saints in the last days due to conspiring people. What is so important about it that he tells us it's how we will survive as a people? There is much to learn there.

When the Lord speaks, even if he says "hey, here's my suggestion." and not "I command", do we not want to learn all we can from that? Do we not take it seriously? He knows all things, and if he says that the grains and the hot drinks and the learn how to take care of yourself is important to my (and the community's) survival in the last days, I view that as having much more weight than some dude saying "hey, man, paleo diet. It's good".

So how does something like caffeine (or soda, or fats and oils even, and exercise!) fit into the temporal salvation of the saints in the last days? I don't know... but it's our job to learn.

Egoof
captain of 100

Post by Egoof »

I think THIS was the big change prophecied for September 23rd.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Elizabeth wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 6:55 pm This is the problem. Are these reports fiction or not? Destroying the faith of others is not a joking matter.
tribrac wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 6:35 pm -parts of this post might be fiction.
If your faith is based on a cultural argument about soda you really have some self reflecting to do.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

AI2.0 wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 5:18 pm
Juliet wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 3:07 am They are going to sell caffeinated beverages because they want to make money. Even if it may not be healthy, even if it is a little bit harmful, they are going to sell it because it will make them money.

This decision was made because someone was looking at their profit margins and realizing BYU is losing money to competition by not selling caffeinated beverages.

Of course, they are not responsible for the large amount of people drinking caffein, but nor are the students responsible for drinking caffein if BYU sells it, a school that has every one sign a word of wisdom contract in order to attend, a school that publicly announces its values and expects students to adhere to them. It is deceptively sponsoring caffein by way of having the word of wisdom in the honor code, so thereby it is saying caffein is officially permissible in the word of wisdom. BYU must take responsibility for those who justify their choice to consume caffeine on the belief that if BYU sells it, is must be ok because they wouldn't sell it if it was against the word of wisdom as proven by the honor code.

Sell caffein, but take out the word of wisdom portion of your honor code. You cannot do both. Caffeinated beverages are addictive and they are harmful, and though not stated publicly by the church as against the word of wisdom, it is in the grey area because many people become addicted to these beverages and they are harmful to the body. Again, I am all for letting people make their choices, but if you have a contract sponsoring and valuing physical health and then sale harmful addictive foods to make a profit, you are playing a double game.

They don't need to take the Word of Wisdom out of the honor code, caffeinated soda is not prohibited by the word of wisdom. The church reiterated this just a couple of years ago, I guess some here missed it:

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/state-a ... a34b2.html
SALT LAKE CITY -- Mormons are free to down a Coke or Pepsi.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has clarified its position on caffeinated soft drinks, noting the news media often incorrectly states that its members are forbidden to drink caffeine.

This week the church posted a statement on its website saying it "does not prohibit the use of caffeine."

A day later, the website wording was changed, saying only that "the church revelation spelling out health practices ... does not mention the use of caffeine."

Church spokesman Scott Trotter said the clarification was made to provide context to last week's NBC News hour-long special on Mormonism that stated Mormons don't drink caffeine.

But church leaders say that doesn't mean they view caffeinated drinks as healthy. They just don't bar members from drinking them.

Some of you need to acknowledge that FACT that drinking caffeinated soda is not considered a violation of the Word of Wisdom, but is left up to each individual member to decide.
I would double thank this post if I could

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

Lyster wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 9:15 pm No, caffeine is not a specific WoW issue. No, soda is not a specific WoW issue. No, abuse of prescription drugs is not a specific WoW issue. Same for getting exercise, the eating of vegetables, the eating of oils and fats, and a billion other things.

The question is "what is the point behind the word of wisdom?".

Is it good health? Well, yes. Does the Lord care about our bodies? Yes. They are the temple of the Spirit. They are created in His image. They are important. Is it MORE than that? Yes, it is.

Does it say everything that is needful for one to be healthy? No. We are to learn and grow as we go. When the debates rage about caffeine, that's because some have learned that it is not good. When the debates rage about soda, then, the same is true. Is soda good for you? No. It too should be avoided.

But, then again, will it kill you to indulge every once in a while? No. But that's not what it's about. It's adapted to the weakest of all saints. But why would we have a standard that is "hey, you should be this good, and you over there should be this good instead".

Now, why is the Word of Wisdom a temple commandment? Could it have something to do with that MORE that it is? The Word of Wisdom reveals that it came about for the temporal salvation of the saints in the last days due to conspiring people. What is so important about it that he tells us it's how we will survive as a people? There is much to learn there.

When the Lord speaks, even if he says "hey, here's my suggestion." and not "I command", do we not want to learn all we can from that? Do we not take it seriously? He knows all things, and if he says that the grains and the hot drinks and the learn how to take care of yourself is important to my (and the community's) survival in the last days, I view that as having much more weight than some dude saying "hey, man, paleo diet. It's good".

So how does something like caffeine (or soda, or fats and oils even, and exercise!) fit into the temporal salvation of the saints in the last days? I don't know... but it's our job to learn.
Great post. I agree that the Word of Wisdom is about more than just grains and caffeine.

Why would the scriptures be so full of direction about the food we eat if it didn't mean anything?

The Old Testament, the New Testament and the Doctrine and Covenants all speak of the foods we are and are not to partake of, and more, what manner we are to partake of them both fasting and feasting.

People often speak of admonitions from the Lord about food in reference to "straining at gnats, and swallowing camels," but if it didn't matter, why would the Lord bother to mention it at all?

We came to earth to have a physical experience. That is something we didn't have before, and Satan and his followers will never have.

As stated in the post I quoted, our job is to learn why and how food plays a role in that experience.

I bear my testimony that the food we eat does have an effect on our ability to hear and respond to the Spirit. Food is an "easy" way to test the limits of our discipleship. It is why I believe the Word of Wisdom was
adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.
Does that not sound like it has bearing on our eternal salvation? Whether or not one can be called a saint or not?

I agree that there are weightier sins and even weaknesses than whether one drinks caffeine or not, but I can also bear testimony that as I have studied the various scriptures about food in the scriptures and taken the Lord at his word, not the interpretation of others, I have noticed distinct and subtle ways in which I have been able to better hear the Spirit and control my many passions and appetites, not just food.

We probably all know the story of Daniel and his friends refusing the king's meat and being found both "fairer and fatter in flesh" and that "God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams." Daniel 1.

But have you read Daniel 10? He again, for three weeks, eats plain food and is rewarded with the visitation of angels and explanations of the visions he sees. Verse 7 says "And I Daniel alone saw the vision: for the men that were with me saw not the vision; but a great quaking fell upon them, so that they fled to hide themselves."

Following the Word of Wisdom, fasting as the Lord directs, and choosing to avoid addictive substances in whatever form they may come is more than just being smarter than the next guy or doing better on a test, it has to do with our ability to hear and respond to the Spirit. The blessing of the destroying angel passing by is not just that we might avoid an illness that would take our life sooner rather than later, though I think that plays a part, it is the ability to hear the Spirit and understand how to avoid danger when only the Lord knows what that danger is. What if obeying the Word of Wisdom was the difference between listening to the guy on the news tell you to evacuate a disaster, and you already being miles ahead out of town because you received your inspiration directly from the Spirit?

I would encourage all who want to know more to read Daniel. Not just chapter 1, but the whole book (it is only 12 chapters.) The revelations found in Daniel are actually the revelations of the last days, that are only explained to Daniel, as he chooses to eat plainly (in chapter 10, for 21 days) and is rewarded with an interpretation of the visions he has seen.

Elizabeth
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Elizabeth »

That is your opinion to which you and others are entitled. This does not change the fact that I expect that those who claim to receive revelation from God should be able to be relied upon as an example and to have the common sense and intellect to not eat or drink substances which are detrimental to their health. As a convert from the Anglican Church I joined the LDS Church with great expectations. This conversion changed my life path and my childrens. It is disappointing to now find this disillusionment.
mirkwood wrote: September 23rd, 2017, 1:08 am
Elizabeth wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 6:55 pm This is the problem. Are these reports fiction or not? Destroying the faith of others is not a joking matter.
If your faith is based on a cultural argument about soda you really have some self reflecting to do.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Post by mirkwood »

Your disillusionment is based on a false premise. But as you said, we are all entitled to our opinions, not DOCTRINE, but opinion.

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Serragon wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 10:43 am I believe that we put way too much emphasis on the WOW. It has always bothered me that people who are otherwise willing to make the covenant of baptism with the Lord are not allowed to do so because they drink coffee or smoke. Likewise that people who struggle with addictions like tobacco are kept from the temple.

I think relaxing these restrictions that were based on an extra-scriptural interpretation of the WOW is a good thing. I hope in the future we will eliminate the WOW as a measuring stick for righteousness and return it to its rightful place as simply wisdom from a loving God for our benefit.
One of my old friends who was a recent convert was not able to give up tobacco. This kept him out of the temple for a time but it did not keep him from being called to teach a Sunday School class. I was on his case all the time about his using tobacco. I had another family member who drank coffee in the morning to keep him alert on his construction job. He started work about 5 am and had to drive from Utah County to Salt Lake. I gave both of them a hard time about their choices. What a jack-@#$ self-righteous hypocrite I was to use the WOW to judge their worth as a human being, their worthiness as a member of the Church, and to grind them into submission to my way of thinking. Neither of them are active today. May God forgive me for the damage I did.

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

I have heard that President Monson likes caffeinated diet cola and we know President Uchtorf uses caffeinated drinks so what's the problem?

Fiannan
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Fiannan »

Col. Flagg wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 5:31 pm This story is quite comical actually - I know of a former Janitor who used to work in the COB who revealed that President Monson was addicted to Diet Coke and typically drank a six-pack every day - he was the one emptying his garbage cans from his office. Diet soft drinks are worse for you than the regular stuff with caffeine and here is the President of the church downing diet Coke like it's going out of style while a story about BYU adding caffeinated beverages to its selection of soft drinks stirs up controversy among many members. :lol:
Doesn't he have diabetes? Why would he want to drink colas with sugar?

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Egoof wrote: September 22nd, 2017, 11:34 pm I think THIS was the big change prophecied for September 23rd.
Haha :D

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

EmmaLee wrote: September 21st, 2017, 10:33 am If this isn't a 'last days, sign of the times', then I don't know what is. :o :P (I kid)

http://www.ldsliving.com/BYU-to-Offer-C ... dium=email

BYU Now Offering Caffeine on Campus

byLDS Living Staff | Sep. 21, 2017

For the first time since the 1950s, BYU is offering caffeinated beverages.

On BYU's website, Dean Wright, director of Dining Services, answered some questions about BYU's decision to begin selling caffeinated drinks, which are already available in vending machines. The fountain equipment will take longer to change, but caffeinated beverages will be added shortly.

Wright says, "the Administrative Vice President has been supportive and has kept the President’s Council informed" about this change.

About the reasons behind this change, Wright says, "In the mid-1950s, the director of BYU Food Services decided not to sell caffeinated soft drinks. This decision has continued on since that time. Until more recently, Dining Services rarely received requests for caffeinated soda. Consumer preferences have clearly changed and requests have become much more frequent. . . . We strive to offer a variety of food choices and encourage our customers to make healthy choices."

BYU now joins LDS Business College and the Joseph Smith Memorial Building in offering caffeinated beverages. Despite this change, Wright says BYU will not highly-caffeinated energy drinks to their drink selection.
I have two cousins who go to BYU Provo. They don’t drink soda so I’m sure they’ll be fine not drinking it.

Plus, I’ve never been “addicted” to soda like the apostles said I would, but I’ve had some seriously satisfying burps ;)

Irrelevant
captain of 100

Post by Irrelevant »

It amazes me how something that was "To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint" has been so misinterpreted and is used as a measuring stick to set ourselves above our fellow man.