The Signs of the Marred Servant

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Rensai
captain of 1,000

Re: The Signs of the Marred Servant

Post by Rensai »

AI2.0 wrote: September 18th, 2017, 10:39 am
Rensai wrote: September 18th, 2017, 9:32 am Well, I'll start with the scriptures I think are pretty clearly associated with him.
3 Nephi 20 wrote: 41 And then shall a cry go forth: Depart ye, depart ye, go ye out from thence, touch not that which is unclean; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean that bear the vessels of the Lord.

42 For ye shall not go out with haste nor go by flight; for the Lord will go before you, and the God of Israel shall be your rearward.

43 Behold, my servant shall deal prudently; he shall be exalted and extolled and be very high.

44 As many were astonished at thee—his visage was so marred, more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men—

45 So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him, for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
Verses 41 and 42 are clearly talking about the next prophesied exodus to me and since the verses for the marred servant immediately follow, I am thinking he's the man like unto Moses mentioned in D&C 103, that will lead the righteous on an exodus, helping keep them safe while america is cleansed.
3 Nephi 21 wrote: 8 And when that day shall come, it shall come to pass that kings shall shut their mouths; for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

9 For in that day, for my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work among them; and there shall be among them those who will not believe it, although a man shall declare it unto them.

10 But behold, the life of my servant shall be in my hand; therefore they shall not hurt him, although he shall be marred because of them. Yet I will heal him, for I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil.

11 Therefore it shall come to pass that whosoever will not believe in my words, who am Jesus Christ, which the Father shall cause him to bring forth unto the Gentiles, and shall give unto him power that he shall bring them forth unto the Gentiles, (it shall be done even as Moses said) they shall be cut off from among my people who are of the covenant.

12 And my people who are a remnant of Jacob shall be among the Gentiles, yea, in the midst of them as a lion among the beasts of the forest, as a young lion among the flocks of sheep, who, if he go through both treadeth down and teareth in pieces, and none can deliver.

13 Their hand shall be lifted up upon their adversaries, and all their enemies shall be cut off.

14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;

15 And I will cut off the cities of thy land, and throw down all thy strongholds;

16 And I will cut off witchcrafts out of thy land, and thou shalt have no more soothsayers;

17 Thy graven images I will also cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee, and thou shalt no more worship the works of thy hands;

18 And I will pluck up thy groves out of the midst of thee; so will I destroy thy cities.

19 And it shall come to pass that all lyings, and deceivings, and envyings, and strifes, and priestcrafts, and whoredoms, shall be done away.

20 For it shall come to pass, saith the Father, that at that day whosoever will not repent and come unto my Beloved Son, them will I cut off from among my people, O house of Israel;
3 Nephi 21 adds more to our understanding. The verses 12-20 are talking about the cleansing of america, and just previous to that, the marred servant is described in almost the exact same ways as 3 Nephi 20 as declaring a marvelous work that causes kings to shut their mouths, etc.
D&C 103 wrote: 15 Behold, I say unto you, the redemption of Zion must needs come by power;

16 Therefore, I will raise up unto my people a man, who shall lead them like as Moses led the children of Israel.

17 For ye are the children of Israel, and of the seed of Abraham, and ye must needs be led out of bondage by power, and with a stretched-out arm.

18 And as your fathers were led at the first, even so shall the redemption of Zion be.

19 Therefore, let not your hearts faint, for I say not unto you as I said unto your fathers: Mine angel shall go up before you, but not my presence.

20 But I say unto you: Mine angels shall go up before you, and also my presence, and in time ye shall possess the goodly land.
If you look at the exodus described in 3 Nephi 20:41-42, its described very similarly to D&C 103:20, with Christs presence among the people.

So those are the scriptures I think are most easy to draw a link between. From them I see that the servant will be:
  1. He will declare God's marvelous work to the people and the kings (3Nephi 20,21)
  • He will be badly marred in face and form -- from those who he declares God's marvelous work to (3 Nephi 21:9-10).
  • At some point he will gather people for an exodus (3Nephi 20, D&C 103)
That's basically it for the scriptures, at least the ones that I feel fairly certain about. There are a few that I think might be talking about the marred servant but aren't as clear.
Isaiah 42 wrote: 1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
2 He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.
3 A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth.
4 He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law.
5 ¶ Thus saith God the Lord, he that created the heavens, and stretched them out; he that spread forth the earth, and that which cometh out of it; he that giveth breath unto the people upon it, and spirit to them that walk therein:
6 I the Lord have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;
7 To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house.
I believe this is talking about the marred servant too. In particular, verse 6 is interesting to me. The marred servant will make a covenant for the gentiles, or in other words, he will help bring the gentiles into the covenant. I think that requires a sacrifice on his part, which will probably be fulfilled by allowing himself to become marred beyond human likeness.

It also says, he will not cry or lift up, or cause his voice to be heard in the street. I'm not sure what that means, but to my mind, it sounds like he won't be doing too much of the normal prophet routine, speaking to the public, calling to repentance, etc. He won't be heard in the street. Now, even more speculation, I think he will declare God's marvelous work, get marred, then go quiet for a time, giving people time to see that work being fulfilled, giving himself time to recover from the marring, etc. Then, those who were receptive and recognize him will be gathered for the exodus somehow and then the destruction starts. You could also take a look at 1 Nephi 21 and Isaiah 49.

Just a few more bullets.
  1. His coming forth marks the end of the time of gentiles (Just inference, end times events can't start til the time of gentiles ends. 2000ish BC (Abraham) to 0 CE - Time of Israelites, 0-2000ish CE, Time of the Gentiles, rougly 2000 years each period)
  • Although I don't think he'll do a lot of preaching, I think when he declares God's marvelous work to the kings, he will give us a sign or something to help us see he is a prophet. (just speculation based on the pattern of many other past prophets)
  • Even as he sacrifices himself to be tortured and marred to make allowance for the gentiles into the covenant, many will reject him and call him antichrist. Many of the mainstream Christians falsely interpret revelation 13:3 as being the antichrist, who is wounded and then healed. The way the marred servant is hurt so badly and then healed will be close enough to their false interpretation of revelation 13 that they will reject him. Many ignorant LDS will probably jump on board with that thinking too.(just guess work based on what I know of human nature)
  • He won't be politically correct or "tolerant." He will be blunt and truthful like past prophets (He won't have time or opportunity to mess around or preach much) (just my own guess)
Ok, that pretty well covers it for my list I guess. If I think of anything else I'll add it in later.
Are these your own thoughts and theories or have you been reading someone else's writings on this subject?
I thought it was pretty clear. The first parts are straight out of scriptures, the stuff towards the end is just my own speculation.

You might also find this interesting.
JD, O PRATT 15:45
Whether that man is now in existence, or whether it is someone yet to be born; or whether it is our present leader who has led us forth into these valleys of the mountains, whether God will grant unto us the great blessing to have his life spared to lead forth his people like a Moses, we perhaps may not all know. ... But be this as it may, whether he [Joseph Smith] is the man, whether President Young is the man, or whether the Lord shall hereafter raise up a man, for that purpose, we do know that when that day comes the Lord will not only send his angels before the army of Israel, but his presence will also be there.
JD, O PRATT 21:18
Indeed, before we can go back to inherit this land [in Jackson County, Missouri] in all its fulness of perfection, God has promised that he would raise up a man like unto Moses. Who this man will be I do not know; it may be a person with whom we are entirely unacquainted; it may be one of our infant children; it may be some person not yet born; it may be someone of middle age. But suffice it to say, that God will raise up such a man, and he will show forth his power through him, and through the people that he will lead forth to inherit that country, as he did through our fathers in the wilderness.
Orson Pratt at least believed in an end time servant, though obviously he didn't know who or when, etc.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm I suspect that the keys still yet remain with the Church, and that the Brethren still hold all or at least most of their authority. However, it is also becoming clear to me that there is corruption of one kind or another seeping within or into the walls of the Church. To make matters worse... pride and stagnation has been set within the hearts of many among the membership... and that is not a good sign. I plead unto you my brethren, heed the words of our current Prophets and Apostles... for the time in which they have yet to preach upon this earth is limited.
I have wondered if the stone that is prepared unto the Lord's servant will serve that very purpose:
Alma 37:23 And the Lord said: I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations.
I've always focused on the secret works portion, but that is preceded by discovering unto people who Serve the Lord first. It stands to reason that there will be a sorting / sifting before the gathering takes place. The Lord will accomplish this with His wisdom imho.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm With the Days of Tribulation almost upon us now, it seems clear to me the time is coming when the church will risk being torn apart by said corruption. We read that in Helaman and 3rd Nephi that it only took a few years for the church established among the nephites to go from being completely righteous to completely wicked... to the point where they were even stoning the prophets, and it all started with just a little bit of pride. Many here have pointed out that the Book of Mormon has a secondary purpose of acting as foreshadowing of our day... so, if that is the case then that means that one way or another, the Church itself is going to be in mortal peril. If our current leadership remains righteous, then they could very well be in significant danger from both the government and our own people in just the span of a few years. If they do not remain righteous, then it will cause a Great Schism within the church, and the church will be nearly torn asunder.
As long as even one family is righteous, they will be spared. I personally believe most or all of the brethren will remain righteous at the sorting.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm Yet the Lord will provide a way to weather the coming storm. The sign in the heavens that many of us have been discussing for the past couple of weeks (The one of the Virgin Giving Birth in Revelations 12) is one of the signs of way which the Lord will provide to signal the way for us to weather the coming days. The sign on 9/23 speaks of the coming of a young man who will be a forbearer to the Lord's second coming, even as John the Baptist was a forbearer to Christ's mortal ministry. This man is known by many names: the Josephite, the Archangel Raphael, Elias: the Son of the Morning, the Soul of Iron, The Last Prophet of the Last Dispensation, The Lord's Maverick, The Lord's Wild Card, and The Marred Servant.
Out of curiosity, where did you get the Soul of Iron, The Last Prophet of the Last Dispensation, The Lord's Maverick, The Lord's Wild Card?
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm The Marred Servant has several other signs and signature actions by which you can recognize him:
  1. He was one of the Great and Noble ones in the Premortal Realm. His loyalty and closeness to Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ during the war in heaven earned him the title of Son of the Morning, taken from Lucifer when he was cast out. It is possible that the Marred Servant is actually the Archangel Raphael. (Personal Revelation revealed this... but I could also cite Abraham 3, as it seems to indicate that most prophets are chosen from among the Great and Noble Ones.)
I believe Raphael is Enoch as do many LDS. However, I believe Enoch is the archangel over the 144,000 and over the Davidic Servant himself. Enoch showed how to build ZION with a speech impediment and without the 144,000 to aid him. I believe the DS will not have those handicaps when he builds ZION because he is a "younger" soul.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He will be a descendant of Joseph or Hyrum Smith, and thus be a descendant of Joseph who was sold into Egypt. He will also have the blood of Judah flowing through his veins. For this reason he shall be called the Josephite. (Personal Revelation combined with an alternative interpretation of Isaiah 11:1-5, & D&C 113:3-6.)
D&C 113 says he will be of Ephraim or Jospeh and of Judah. I do not believe he will be a direct descendant of Joseph Smith though he certainly could be related to him. The Jesse link is the important lineage, not the Joseph Smith link imho.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He will take up the mantle of Joseph Smith, and finish what he started. At times, many will mistake him for being a resurrected Joseph Smith. Ultimately, this will result in the Restoration of All Things. For this reason he shall be called Elias. (Again, primary source is Personal Revelation. Related Scriptures would be dealing with Elias.)
I have struggled with LDSA calling him Elias, and I'm not sure why. Elias is anything but a clearcut name and meaning.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He will break conventional thought, tradition, and culture within the church. His relationship with the Father is so strong that conventional thought within the church cannot adequately explain it. Thus he shall be called the Lord's Maverick and the Lord's Wild Card. (Personal Revelation talking about stuff that would baffle most members and turn our understanding of the gospel on its head. Conjecture: The marred servant is someone who destroys tradition and sets things right. See the point about one of his names/titles being Raphael.)
Thank you for sharing your personal revelation by the way and doing so without trying to start your own church.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]His faith and resolve will be unshakable... for this is the reason why he is known as the Soul of Iron. (Personal Revelation. Conjecture: you cannot do what he is going to do WITHOUT unshakable faith.)
I too feel his unshakable testimony and faith is a defining feature that makes him mighty and strong. Gideon was a mighty man of valor because he knew that the LORD was his might. Same for the Davidic Servant methinks.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]His eyes shall burn with azure fire when he preaches the gospel. (Personal Revelation. Conjecture: It is well documented in scripture that some prophets sometimes go through a physical change that manages to evoke fear in the wicked. Nephi was one of these prophets, and so too was Joseph Smith. It is reasonable to assume that the Marred Servant would have a similar ability. Eyes that glow with a flaming blue light would be one of the changes brought upon by the spirit when he is preaching.)
That sounds amazing and I hope it's true!
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]His voice will be like a thundering lion to the wicked, while like a lamb to the righteous. In this voice will he urge many to repent. (Primarily personal revelation. But again, there are documented accounts in the scriptures of prophets speaking "in a loud voice," so this isn't entirely unprecedented either)
[*]Many will heed his voice, but many more will reject him. (Conjecture: In a day where most of the world is wicked and will harden their hearts, curse God and die, it only stands to reason that he would be rejected by many. Backed up by passages in Revelation.)
I like what LDSA says about how somehow "Elias" will be able to convince everyone that Jesus is the Christ - sounds super cool and would fulfill every knee shall bow, but I have not received anything personally about this.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He will be taught in the School of the Prophets, and will be legitimately ordained as an Apostle of the Lord. His ordination will seem to be a miracle to the body of the church. (Personal Revelation)
I'm still wondering how the Davidic Servant will ascend with regards to the church. The church is true, so I'm hoping it's totally copacetic.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He shall cleanse the church of any and all corruption, and bring us out of condemnation if we haven't already. (Personal Revelation: This goes back to the prompting that I posted about a while ago... the one where I relay that the church will only be brought fully out of condemnation when a righteous descendant of Joseph or Hyrum leads us as the prophet. Can possibly be backed up by the scriptures that tell of Christ cleansing the temple of the money changers. See #12)
Agreed. This is the Mighty and Strong passage in D&C 85 about setting in order the House of God.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]IF (and that is a big IF) the leadership ever falters or attempts to lead the church astray during his ministry, then he will risk excommunication to set things back on course. If that happens... expect him to stand directly before the Twelve and denounce them. Nevertheless, he will work within the bounds that the Lord set forth in the D&C, whenever possible. (This one is entirely due to Personal Revelation. Conjecture: There are procedures listed in the D&C that were put in place to legitimately remove prophets and apostles from authority... why would those processes be put in place if the Lord had no need to use them? See #12.)
I'm wondering - a.k.a speculating - if there will be any apostles who don't want to lose their place in line and rebel against him. This would be highly symbolic of a heavenly rebellion imho and may indeed be the fruits of the rebellion for the next iteration.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]All that he does shall be done through legitimate means and authority... both within the church, and within God's Kingdom. (Conjecture: God's house is a house of order. Therefore, anything that the Marred Servant will do, he will do through the proper procedures and with the proper authority.)
Agreed
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He shall be marred, both physically and spiritually, but the Lord shall preserve him and will heal him. For this reason shall he be called the Marred Servant. (3 Nephi 21:10. Conjecture: Spiritual comes before physical... therefore, he shall be spiritually marred before being physically marred)
Agreed but as the Lord says His wisdom is revealed in the healing of the marring, then the marring served a purpose. I personally believe his spiritual visage is marred (disfigured) to hide him from the devils, and his brain - pineal and pituitary - are marred to hide his gifts of "sight" and "connection."
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He will be comparable to many other prophets of old in both works and power, particularly Enoch. He will be comparable to Martin Luther with his desires. It is worth noting that many have stated their belief that Raphael may be Enoch... which makes this servant's comparison to him all the more apt.(Personal Revelation)
Already spoke on this. Enoch is the Davidic Servant's tutor. At some point Enoch and his city will meet them there.
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]The Lord's testimony of thunderings and lightnings shall come through him, as well as from the Lord's voice directly. (Amos 3:7, D&C 43:17-18. This one is fairly clear cut.)
[*]He shall have the miraculous gift to heal others as well as destroy. In fact, part of his mission is to heal the church as a surgeon would heal his patient through making a wound, removing a deadly tumor, then sealing up the wound. For this reason he will be called Raphael. (3 Nephi 21:10 indicates that the Marred Servant shall be healed by God after being marred more than any man.)
For this reason Raphael is his tutor. ;)
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He shall have many spiritual gifts... including that of Dreaming and Prophecy. These gifts will start out somewhat erratic in his life, but shall manifest individually and become refined through practice and the guidance of the hand of the Lord. This will progress at a slow and steady rate, to the point where he shall eventually have access to all spiritual gifts by the time the Lord comes. (Some Personal Revelation, but Mainly Conjecture: Some of the points mentioned above are clearly a form of spiritual gift, such as being a Soul of Iron.)
Agreed
Durzan wrote: September 13th, 2017, 2:56 pm [*]He shall participate in the meeting on Adam Ondi Ahman, and shall be numbered among the 144,000. (Cojecture: With how much scriptural passages seem to refer to him, Joseph Smith, and the Davidic Servant, it is only natural to assume that he, and the other two as well, will be a part of the meeting with Adam and Christ, alongside all the other prophets and apostles.)
[*]He shall lead the members of the Church back to Independence Missouri and shall establish the city of Zion. He shall be alive and on the earth when Christ comes. Thus he shall be known as the Last Prophet of the Last Dispensation. (Personal Revelation)
[*]He shall stand on the Mount of Olives when Christ shall come (Personal Revelation: Might be literal or figurative.).
[*]He shall not taste of death, but shall instead be translated. (3 Nephi 21:10 mentions that this servant's life shall be in the Lord's hand; this can hint at translation. Personal Revelation confirms that he shall be translated.)
[/list]

Additional Clarification: A good chunk of these signs I cite are due to personal revelation combined with a bit of conjecture... so your mileage may vary. Scriptures can and have provided me some additional insight into some of these notes... but said insight is limited. I am working on adding scriptural references and notes on what is personal revelation and conjecture. It will be in bold.
Good on you to share pearls. I don't agree with all of them, but respect you tremendously for sharing them. Thank you.

Jesef
captain of 1,000

Post by Jesef »

I think and believe that speculation and personal revelation are just fine, as long as we don't take ourselves too seriously, and as long as we're not projecting it forcefully onto others. I do think it all has to be taken with a dose of humility and human error, too. We've all been exposed to too many personal revelations and interpretations/speculations which proved to be flat-out wrong, erroneous, false. So why take ourselves too seriously? If we don't, and we're clear that we are expressing personal opinions (whatever their source might be, scriptures, personal revelation or interpretation, etc.), then we can share and compare without fear or contention. We're discussing stuff that may or may not prove to be totally correct/right/true. Time will tell. If nothing happens between 9/21-9/23 this year, and we don't see anything tangible and global following it in the year or few years to come, so what? Most of us are looking for or forward to the signs of the times, the end, etc. So has every generation before ours (and they were all pretty much wrong, btw). It's fun, right? Anticipating. It's like Christmas morning when you were a child and still believed in Santa Clause. If nothing happens, nothing happens. If stuff starts happening a super-prophet arises, well then, wow, I guess we'll see it. Although, aren't the Anti-Christ, false prophet, and beast also represented as showing forth marvelous supernatural powers, too? I guess we'll see it on both sides. Super-powers, yeah, it's about time.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

Rensai wrote: September 17th, 2017, 10:02 pm
AI2.0 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 4:47 pm The predictions in the OP of this 'marred servant' are mostly based on personal revelation. The times scriptures are cited, it is most often using an 'alternate interpretation'. From what I see, most of the scriptures cited are actually referring to Jesus Christ and a couple refer to Joseph Smith.

I'm not sure what purpose there is in taking scriptures which are referring to the Messiah and trying to rework them to make them fit a personal belief in additional 'servants' coming forward in the last days.

It seems foolish to be looking for a man when we should be looking for the return of the Savior (though a lot needs to happen before this). It seems especially dangerous to be looking for a man during a time when false christs and false prophets will be rising up among us to lead people astray.

And, while I've seen a lot of predictions that something will happen on Sept 23, I really am not sure exactly what people are trying to claim will happen. I think they've kept it vague because while they secretly hope for some calamitous or miraculous event, they know that sept 23 will come and go as any other day.

There are signs in the heavens but I don't think they are meant to be read singly, but to be taken collectively, as this fulfills prophecy. We already know we live in the last days and we already know the events which need to take place before the return of the Savior in his glory.
Read 3 Nephi 20 and 21. Christ is talking to the Nephites/Lamanites and telling them what is going to happen to their descendants in the last days. He talks about the restoration of the gospel, the cleansing of america, and the building of Zion. Its hard to find scriptures more relevant and important to our day than those 2 chapters, yet hardly anyone takes the time to really study them. If you do, it becomes clear that there absolutely will be an important servant/prophet to usher in Zion and it is definitely not Joseph. Joseph was not marred, he died, this servant does not die, and most importantly Joseph didn't usher in Zion as this servant will. Go read. its important. Its not Joseph and its not Christ, he calls this man his servant, Christ is the one speaking. I think he's also mentioned in D&C 103:13-18.

As you pointed out, there are tons of false prophets, Satan is trying to confuse everything. How will you recognize the real servant if you aren't familiar with the signs and work he will do?

EDIT: Another interesting thing, you mentioned the risks of false prophets, but what about the risks of missing a real one? Here is what it says in 3 Nephi 21:11.
11 Therefore it shall come to pass that whosoever will not believe in my words, who am Jesus Christ, which the Father shall cause him to bring forth unto the Gentiles, and shall give unto him power that he shall bring them forth unto the Gentiles, (it shall be done even as Moses said) they shall be cut off from among my people who are of the covenant.
Those who fail to recognize and follow the words Christ gives this servant will be cut off from among the people of the covenant. Seems like that's something everyone should know about and be watching for.

I expect many will react to the real servant and call him a false prophet. In fact, I expect, if he is marred and healed as I believe the scriptures say he will be, that many will in fact mistake him for the antichrist, since many are looking for a similar sign to identify him, where he is wounded in the head, killed, and then revived. What a bad mistake it would be to confuse the two.
Not to be disagreeable, but Joseph was marred (tarred and feathered, and beaten). They attempted to poison him when he was tarred and feathered and chipped a tooth in the process, and had a whistle in his speech ever after. There were scars on his neck from the tarring and feathering, which is why he wore his collar up. It wasn't just the style. Not to mention the marring that took place in Liberty Jail. But he was healed. He went on to fulfill his mission. And while he still had a mission to fulfill, His life was in the hands of the Lord. He was protected many times from death, hammers falling but no guns going off on more than one occasion with multiple guns. I can't think of anyone else who actually fits 3 Nephi 21 better than Joseph. Christ is talking about the establishment of the Gospel among the Gentiles, which is exactly what Joseph did. He was marred, and healed...recovered from the tarring and feathering and attempted poisoning. He was presevered many times. "His life was in the Lord's hand". And, he was even given the way that he could continue to live by the Lord, but instead made the choice, according to his agency, to seal his testimony with his blood. Those who don't accept the marvelous work and wonder (the Restoration of the gospel and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon) are cut off from being the covenant people of the Lord. So, it is not unreasonable to believe that at least 3 Nephi 21 is talking about Joseph Smith. But, reasonable minds can differ.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

RAB wrote: September 18th, 2017, 1:13 pm Not to be disagreeable, but Joseph was marred (tarred and feathered, and beaten). They attempted to poison him when he was tarred and feathered and chipped a tooth in the process, and had a whistle in his speech ever after. There were scars on his neck from the tarring and feathering, which is why he wore his collar up. It wasn't just the style. Not to mention the marring that took place in Liberty Jail. But he was healed. He went on to fulfill his mission. And while he still had a mission to fulfill, His life was in the hands of the Lord. He was protected many times from death, hammers falling but no guns going off on more than one occasion with multiple guns. I can't think of anyone else who actually fits 3 Nephi 21 better than Joseph. Christ is talking about the establishment of the Gospel among the Gentiles, which is exactly what Joseph did. He was marred, and healed...recovered from the tarring and feathering and attempted poisoning. He was presevered many times. "His life was in the Lord's hand". And, he was even given the way that he could continue to live by the Lord, but instead made the choice, according to his agency, to seal his testimony with his blood. Those who don't accept the marvelous work and wonder (the Restoration of the gospel and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon) are cut off from being the covenant people of the Lord. So, it is not unreasonable to believe that at least 3 Nephi 21 is talking about Joseph Smith. But, reasonable minds can differ.
Joseph Smith's life was a partial fulfillment of 3 Nephi 21, hence why many people such as yourself find that he fits the prophecy quite well; His life was a foreshadow to that of the Marred Servant, and that is as the Lord willed. However, if you look a bit closer, there are some details that don't quite add up.
  1. Joseph was marred multiple times and healed. But he was marred BY his enemies, not BECAUSE of them. He also was not Marred beyond any man. Many others had been through much worse than being tarred, feathered, and being forced to drink poison... such as being burned alive at the stake, or being tortured with cruel instruments of death for days on end.
  2. Joseph never preached before kings, nor did kings shut their mouths for him, nor his representatives, nor the fruit that was brought forth through his hands... namely the book of mormon.
  3. Joseph was protected by the Lord for a time... but it was for the wise purpose of establishing the church to the point where it and the priesthood could survive through to the days of tribulation, among other things. And in the end, he died a martyr to seal his testimony with blood. The Marred Servant will live to see the Savior come.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

Durzan wrote: September 18th, 2017, 1:42 pm
RAB wrote: September 18th, 2017, 1:13 pm Not to be disagreeable, but Joseph was marred (tarred and feathered, and beaten). They attempted to poison him when he was tarred and feathered and chipped a tooth in the process, and had a whistle in his speech ever after. There were scars on his neck from the tarring and feathering, which is why he wore his collar up. It wasn't just the style. Not to mention the marring that took place in Liberty Jail. But he was healed. He went on to fulfill his mission. And while he still had a mission to fulfill, His life was in the hands of the Lord. He was protected many times from death, hammers falling but no guns going off on more than one occasion with multiple guns. I can't think of anyone else who actually fits 3 Nephi 21 better than Joseph. Christ is talking about the establishment of the Gospel among the Gentiles, which is exactly what Joseph did. He was marred, and healed...recovered from the tarring and feathering and attempted poisoning. He was presevered many times. "His life was in the Lord's hand". And, he was even given the way that he could continue to live by the Lord, but instead made the choice, according to his agency, to seal his testimony with his blood. Those who don't accept the marvelous work and wonder (the Restoration of the gospel and the coming forth of the Book of Mormon) are cut off from being the covenant people of the Lord. So, it is not unreasonable to believe that at least 3 Nephi 21 is talking about Joseph Smith. But, reasonable minds can differ.
Joseph Smith's life was a partial fulfillment of 3 Nephi 21, hence why many people such as yourself find that he fits the prophecy quite well; His life was a foreshadow to that of the Marred Servant, and that is as the Lord willed. However, if you look a bit closer, there are some details that don't quite add up.
  1. Joseph was marred multiple times and healed. But he was marred BY his enemies, not BECAUSE of them. He also was not Marred beyond any man. Many others had been through much worse than being tarred, feathered, and being forced to drink poison... such as being burned alive at the stake, or being tortured with cruel instruments of death for days on end.
  2. Joseph never preached before kings, nor did kings shut their mouths for him, nor his representatives, nor the fruit that was brought forth through his hands... namely the book of mormon.
  3. Joseph was protected by the Lord for a time... but it was for the wise purpose of establishing the church to the point where it and the priesthood could survive through to the days of tribulation, among other things. And in the end, he died a martyr to seal his testimony with blood. The Marred Servant will live to see the Savior come.
Again, these are differences of interpretation.
1. I didn't add all of Joseph's trials, to include the losing of his children multiple times, but I didn't see where in 3 Nephi 21 it said he was marred beyond any man. I see your point but I would say he was also marred because of his enemies, such as William Law and John C. Bennet who betrayed him. By and Because are often synonymous. By your logic, meaning because of your logic or by reason of insanity or because of insanity mean the same thing. So I think that is ultimately a distinction without a difference. Either way, Joseph was both marred because of his enemies betraying him, and often, interestingly enough since you pointed it out, not by their own hands. They usually stirred up other people to do their dirty work.

2. Joseph did send out a letter to all the kingdoms and nations of the earth announcing the restoration of the gospel.

3. Joseph did live to see the Savior come...multiple times in fact. And 3 Nephi 21 doesn't say anything about him personally being there for the second coming. It talks about the beginning of the work with the servant, and then stops talking about the servant and talks about the building of the New Jerusalem and the work going to the lost tribes without a mention of the servant.

So, my issue isn't about other prophecies. My issue is conflating and combining 3 Nephi 21 with others. I posit that 3 Nephi 21 is talking about Joseph Smith. That isn't to say Joseph is the "Davidic Servant" or whatever other prophecies there may be. I just think he clearly fits 3 Nephi 21. Who else was around when the marvelous work and wonder went the Lamanite seed? Only Joseph can fit that description because it has already happened. He sent missionaries to the Lamanites early on. But again, reasonable minds can differ.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Was Joseph Smith healed? Didn't he have a limp and have to comb his hair to hide his scars?

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:03 pm Was Joseph Smith healed? Didn't he have a limp and have to comb his hair to hide his scars?
I think that is another question open to interpretation. There is no doubt that he had adverse affects he carried with him. So the question is what is meant by the scripture when it says, "Yet I will heal him, for I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil."

Is it talking about spiritual healing of the soul, physical healing of the body, escape from the snares that marred the servant, or maybe all three?

I would argue he was spiritually healed from what must have been tremendous grief in losing children, being betrayed by friends, etc. Even though he was the subject of hundreds of trumped up law suits, he never became a withdrawn, distant, or negative person. He was humbled, his understanding of the savior deepened through his trials, but also knowing that the Lord would not allow his days to be cut short before the time. I would chalk that up to a healing of the soul.

Physically, I would argue that he also was healed, though some scars remained, because he resumed a vigorous life after Liberty jail. In contrast, Sydney Rigdon never fully recovered physically from the torture of Liberty Jail and was known not to have the same kind of rigor post Liberty Jail.

I don't think being healed requires all physical signs of trauma being removed, or else the Savior was not healed when resurrected since the marks were still in His hands and feet...for a very important reason, I might add. Also, when someone is healed from a disease, they may still carry scars...such as being healed from small pox or other disease which leaves scars. So, yes, I think Joseph can aptly be described as healed in all ways that have eternal significance or impacted the mission the Lord had for him and was explaining in 3 Nephi 21.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

That's fair. I know not everyone agrees with me that the marred guy in 3 Nephi 20 and 21 are the same, but I look at a few of the verses and think it has to be because both chapters mention that kings will shut their mouths, etc. One chapter talks about the cleansing of america right after the marred servant (3Nephi 21) and the other talks about Zion coming after (3 Nephi 20). I think that both chapters are highlighting some different things, but talking about the same times, the same events. I can add a couple points to what Durzan already posted about 3 Nephi 21. If you look at the beginning of the chapter, Christ lays out a sign for the descendants of the Nephites/Lamanites.
3 Nephi 21 wrote: 1 And verily I say unto you, I give unto you a sign, that ye may know the time when these things shall be about to take place—that I shall gather in, from their long dispersion, my people, O house of Israel, and shall establish again among them my Zion;

2 And behold, this is the thing which I will give unto you for a sign—for verily I say unto you that when these things which I declare unto you, and which I shall declare unto you hereafter of myself, and by the power of the Holy Ghost which shall be given unto you of the Father, shall be made known unto the Gentiles that they may know concerning this people who are a remnant of the house of Jacob, and concerning this my people who shall be scattered by them;

3 Verily, verily, I say unto you, when these things shall be made known unto them of the Father, and shall come forth of the Father, from them unto you;

4 For it is wisdom in the Father that they should be established in this land, and be set up as a free people by the power of the Father, that these things might come forth from them unto a remnant of your seed, that the covenant of the Father may be fulfilled which he hath covenanted with his people, O house of Israel;

5 Therefore, when these works and the works which shall be wrought among you hereafter shall come forth from the Gentiles, unto your seed which shall dwindle in unbelief because of iniquity;

6 For thus it behooveth the Father that it should come forth from the Gentiles, that he may show forth his power unto the Gentiles, for this cause that the Gentiles, if they will not harden their hearts, that they may repent and come unto me and be baptized in my name and know of the true points of my doctrine, that they may be numbered among my people, O house of Israel;

7 And when these things come to pass that thy seed shall begin to know these things—it shall be a sign unto them, that they may know that the work of the Father hath already commenced unto the fulfilling of the covenant which he hath made unto the people who are of the house of Israel.
Those verses seem pretty clearly to be talking about the creation of the united states in verse 4, to the bringing forth of the BoM, and when the remnant of the Jacob begin to learn about the BoM and the gospel, that is a sign. What does the sign mean? That's in verse 1.
that ye may know the time when these things shall be about to take placethat I shall gather in, from their long dispersion, my people, O house of Israel, and shall establish again among them my Zion;
So the way I see it, Joseph and the early saints got all this covered or at least started. But that is the sign that the rest of these things, the end of the dispersion and the establishment of Zion are ABOUT to commence.

Joseph obviously didn't accomplish either of those things and it makes no sense that Christ would build up to that sign, telling them Zion is About to happen, then jump back to Joseph smith with more detail, then off to Zion again. Consider verse 8.
8 And when that day shall come, it shall come to pass that kings shall shut their mouths; for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.
And when what day shall come? The day from the previous verse of course, the gathering of Israel and Zion. In that case, all the stuff about the servant being marred, kings shutting their mouths, etc has to be someone other than Joseph, unless you believe a resurrected Joseph will come fulfill it or something.

And it is in THAT day that the marvelous work and wonder are done.
9 For in that day, for my sake shall the Father work a work, which shall be a great and a marvelous work among them; and there shall be among them those who will not believe it, although a man shall declare it unto them.
Anyway, that's how I read that but even if you believe 3 Nephi 21 is talking about Joseph, there is no way he fits 3 Nephi 20's marred servant. Joseph wasn't marred nearly enough for that description. So either way, I guess you still have a marred servant appearing in the last days.
Last edited by Rensai on September 18th, 2017, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rensai
captain of 1,000

Post by Rensai »

RAB wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:17 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:03 pm Was Joseph Smith healed? Didn't he have a limp and have to comb his hair to hide his scars?
I think that is another question open to interpretation. There is no doubt that he had adverse affects he carried with him. So the question is what is meant by the scripture when it says, "Yet I will heal him, for I will show unto them that my wisdom is greater than the cunning of the devil."

Is it talking about spiritual healing of the soul, physical healing of the body, escape from the snares that marred the servant, or maybe all three?

I would argue he was spiritually healed from what must have been tremendous grief in losing children, being betrayed by friends, etc. Even though he was the subject of hundreds of trumped up law suits, he never became a withdrawn, distant, or negative person. He was humbled, his understanding of the savior deepened through his trials, but also knowing that the Lord would not allow his days to be cut short before the time. I would chalk that up to a healing of the soul.

Physically, I would argue that he also was healed, though some scars remained, because he resumed a vigorous life after Liberty jail. In contrast, Sydney Rigdon never fully recovered physically from the torture of Liberty Jail and was known not to have the same kind of rigor post Liberty Jail.

I don't think being healed requires all physical signs of trauma being removed, or else the Savior was not healed when resurrected since the marks were still in His hands and feet...for a very important reason, I might add. Also, when someone is healed from a disease, they may still carry scars...such as being healed from small pox or other disease which leaves scars. So, yes, I think Joseph can aptly be described as healed in all ways that have eternal significance or impacted the mission the Lord had for him and was explaining in 3 Nephi 21.
I agree with that. In fact, I think the marred servant will be left with the physical signs of trauma as you called it, but his body will be functional. How else can people be astonished at his marred visage and form.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

RAB - Rensai has put the context beautifully. The marred servant is the end times servant, not Joseph Smith - all the surrounding context is an indicator. Read Isaiah 41-53 and 9-11 with a sincere prayer. Ezekil 37. Jeremiah 31-33. Ezekiel 41-43. Malachi 3. Revelation 12.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:28 pm RAB - Rensai has put the context beautifully. The marred servant is the end times servant, not Joseph Smith - all the surrounding context is an indicator. Read Isaiah 41-53 and 9-11 with a sincere prayer. Ezekil 37. Jeremiah 31-33. Ezekiel 41-43. Malachi 3. Revelation 12.
That's where I have a problem. Definitive statements like that bother me because I don't like to conflate two scriptures to mean the same thing just because they are similar...especially where Isaiah is involved since he prophesies of both the First and Second comings. To me, 3 Nephi 21 stands out clear as day as Joseph Smith, while to others it may not. So when someone says Joseph Smith is not the marred servant I retort, "That's your opinion." In the most respectful way possible, of course. ;)

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

Not to derail the subject, but in Ezekiel 37, what do we make of the headnote that says, "David (the Messiah) will reign over them." Let me first say that I understand headnotes are not doctrine. But they were put there by people who know a lot more than me. Why do we suppose they are calling the Latter-Day David the Messiah?

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

RAB wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:50 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:28 pm RAB - Rensai has put the context beautifully. The marred servant is the end times servant, not Joseph Smith - all the surrounding context is an indicator. Read Isaiah 41-53 and 9-11 with a sincere prayer. Ezekil 37. Jeremiah 31-33. Ezekiel 41-43. Malachi 3. Revelation 12.
That's where I have a problem. Definitive statements like that bother me because I don't like to conflate two scriptures to mean the same thing just because they are similar...especially where Isaiah is involved since he prophesies of both the First and Second comings. To me, 3 Nephi 21 stands out clear as day as Joseph Smith, while to others it may not. So when someone says Joseph Smith is not the marred servant I retort, "That's your opinion." In the most respectful way possible, of course. ;)
I appreciate your respectful tone tremendously. :) I just implore you to 1 Nephi 15:8 and Moron 10:3-5 it - pray about it with an open heart and sincerity. Thanks RAB.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm
RAB wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:53 pm Not to derail the subject, but in Ezekiel 37, what do we make of the headnote that says, "David (the Messiah) will reign over them." Let me first say that I understand headnotes are not doctrine. But they were put there by people who know a lot more than me. Why do we suppose they are calling the Latter-Day David the Messiah?
Besides the chapter heading (which doesn't count), there are also these scriptures in the D&C:
But, verily I say unto you that in time ye shall have no king nor ruler, for I will be your king and watch over you. Wherefore, hear my voice and follow me, and you shall be a free people, and ye shall have no laws but my laws when I come, for I am your lawgiver, and what can stay my hand? (D&C 38:21-22)

And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins. For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day. And the earth shall be given unto them for an inheritance; and they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow up without sin unto salvation. For the Lord shall be in their midst, and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their king and their lawgiver. (D&C 45:56-59)
I ask those who say there will be a Davidic servant who is not Christ, and that this Davidic servant will be king, how you reconcile the above scriptures to your theory? Do you believe there will be two kings, a mortal one (a guy named David) and an immortal one (Christ)? How exactly does this theory work?
Easy. You highlighted all the wrong words ;)
21 But, verily I say unto you that in time ye shall have no king nor ruler, for I will be your king and watch over you.

22 Wherefore, hear my voice and follow me, and you shall be a free people, and ye shall have no laws but my laws when I come, for I am your lawgiver, and what can stay my hand?
In time there will be no king or ruler just means exactly that - at some point He Himself will be king. Verse 22 reinforces this point that the Lawgiver is Him and that "when I come" is the trigger. The Davidic Servant gathers Israel and receives the throne and kingdom of David before Christ returns as King and Lawgiver. His ministry is emblematic of Christ ruling at Elohim's behest.

I love verse 1 which destroys the Adam God "Doctrine" belief that Jesus and Jehovah are two separate peeps.
1 Thus saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, the Great I Am, Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the same which looked upon the wide expanse of eternity, and all the seraphic hosts of heaven, before the world was made;
Please if you are an Adam God lurker, please quote me in an applicable thread if you want to excuse yet another scripture to fit your doctrine.

Ohh seraphic hosts! I always assumed level five beings were there too, but perhaps not! :)

Edit: The Davidic Servant is the temporal Messiah that the Jews have been waiting on. Gileadi underscores this point well on his site.He is the lesser Messiah to the greater Messiah, Jesus Christ.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 5:23 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 5:14 pm In time there will be no king or ruler just means exactly that - at some point He Himself will be king. Verse 22 reinforces this point that the Lawgiver is Him and that "when I come" is the trigger. The Davidic Servant gathers Israel and receives the throne and kingdom of David before Christ returns as King and Lawgiver. His ministry is emblematic of Christ ruling at Elohim's behest.

Edit: The Davidic Servant is the temporal Messiah that the Jews have been waiting on. Gileadi underscores this point well on his site.He is the lesser Messiah to the greater Messiah, Jesus Christ.
So, if I am understanding this correctly, the belief is that the Davidic servant will establish the kingdom and rule until the Lord gets back, at which point the rule will be handed over to Jesus, who will then rule as king. Is that correct? If so, what happens to the Davidic servant? Does he step down from the throne, or does he get another throne or something?
I personally believe he is one of the two witnesses - we all know how that ends.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 5:31 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm
LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 5:23 pmSo, if I am understanding this correctly, the belief is that the Davidic servant will establish the kingdom and rule until the Lord gets back, at which point the rule will be handed over to Jesus, who will then rule as king. Is that correct? If so, what happens to the Davidic servant? Does he step down from the throne, or does he get another throne or something?
I personally believe he is one of the two witnesses - we all know how that ends.
Okay, so he gets killed and then comes back to life after three and a half days and then ascends into heaven, leaving the throne unoccupied until Jesus gets back?
Quite possibly. If the Davidic Servant drinks the cup and is baptized with the baptism that would certainly underscore the final arrival of Jesus Christ in red.
Matthew 20:23 And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Isaiah 43:4 Since thou wast precious in my sight, thou hast been honourable, and I have loved thee: therefore will I give men for thee, and people for thy life.
Revelation 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

12 His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.

13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

17 And I saw an angel standing in the sun; and he cried with a loud voice, saying to all the fowls that fly in the midst of heaven, Come and gather yourselves together unto the supper of the great God;

18 That ye may eat the flesh of kings, and the flesh of captains, and the flesh of mighty men, and the flesh of horses, and of them that sit on them, and the flesh of all men, both free and bond, both small and great.

19 And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against him that sat on the horse, and against his army.

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I get the feeling you're not being entirely straightforward here. His throne and kingdom is for ever just like every other prince of peace who dies and Jesus who died and we receive promises of kingdoms and kingships ourselves after we die.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Post by clarkkent14 »

You guys talk about this throne like it will be some large majestic place that reminds me of some earthly king reigning with blood and horror. I think it will look more like Christ's visit to the Nephites as served and ministered there. I'm sure the DS will be like the Master.
Snuff Doggy Dogg wrote:Rest assured that God intends to establish Zion. We will see the return of exactly what was here in the beginning. There will be a return. The reason they will come to the children of Ephraim in the everlasting mountains is because there will be a new Jerusalem. They will bring rich treasures when they come because they have records that need to be translated. They are going to be crowned because the Family of God consists of people who are to be made kings and priests. That infrastructure has to be put in place by the Lord before His return. We cannot accomplish it without Him. Therefore He intends to accomplish this work. When He accomplishes this work, there will not be a king like the Gentiles expect. You are going to find someone or some group who are meek and lowly, who are rather more like our Savior than the kings who ruled during our Savior's day. You won't find a Caesar and you won't find a local potentate; you will find a servant.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 7:28 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 7:14 pm I get the feeling you're not being entirely straightforward here. His throne and kingdom is for ever just like every other prince of peace who dies and Jesus who died and we receive promises of kingdoms and kingships ourselves after we die.
Oh, no, I was being straightforward.

So, part of it is read by applying a temporal meaning, and then you shift and then the other part you read as applying eternally.

See, I would have read the whole thing temporally, as him not dying and as him reigning eternally (for ever), just as the text says.
Might could be!

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

clarkkent14 wrote: September 18th, 2017, 7:49 pm You guys talk about this throne like it will be some large majestic place that reminds me of some earthly king reigning with blood and horror. I think it will look more like Christ's visit to the Nephites as served and ministered there. I'm sure the DS will be like the Master.
Snuff Doggy Dogg wrote:Rest assured that God intends to establish Zion. We will see the return of exactly what was here in the beginning. There will be a return. The reason they will come to the children of Ephraim in the everlasting mountains is because there will be a new Jerusalem. They will bring rich treasures when they come because they have records that need to be translated. They are going to be crowned because the Family of God consists of people who are to be made kings and priests. That infrastructure has to be put in place by the Lord before His return. We cannot accomplish it without Him. Therefore He intends to accomplish this work. When He accomplishes this work, there will not be a king like the Gentiles expect. You are going to find someone or some group who are meek and lowly, who are rather more like our Savior than the kings who ruled during our Savior's day. You won't find a Caesar and you won't find a local potentate; you will find a servant.
Do we? I must have missed that part ;)

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 8:11 pm
alaris wrote: September 18th, 2017, 8:01 pm Might could be!
Okay, so there is no standard way of viewing this, then, is there? Each person's idea of the Davidic servant is different than the next? Is this what you are trying to say? I'm trying to get a grasp of this non-Christ Davidic servant idea, given I've never actually looked into it.
Nope. What I'm trying to say is there are some things I am firm on and some things I opine one just like you do and that I'm open to being wrong unlike most people on planet earth seemingly.

However, for the non-Christ Davidic Servant idea, Gileadi is a great source if you want to look into it further. He has great books or so I hear as I haven't read any of them, but I have read quite a bit on his site isaiahexplained.com as well as a few of his scriptures.

http://www.isaiahexplained.com/resource ... -of-isaiah

That said there will be variance of interpretation just as there is on just about every other unfulfilled prophecy. I've been thinking about writing an article titled, "The Temporal Messiah" that serves as a general overview as to who the Davidic Servant is, what his mission will be, and the many, many supporting scriptures that exist in all our standard works.

Ezekiel
captain of 100

Post by Ezekiel »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm Is Gileadi the source of the non-Christ Davidic servant, then? The only interpretation I've ever heard in church about the prophecies of a future "my servant David" is that that is Christ. So, was Gileadi the one who first put forth this idea? Or does it precede him? (Now, I know Joseph Smith mentioned that David's throne would be given to another of his descendants, also named David, but that doesn't necessarily imply a temporal kingdom. That could be referring to David losing his exaltation and the Lord giving it to one of his posterity, also named David, per D&C 132.) So, it may be that this idea was derived from Joseph Smith's words about the future David, but who originated the idea, I wonder? Who came up with the "Davidic Servant" moniker?
Yes. He originally called the “servant” a “davidic king” in one of his books back in the early 90s or late 80s.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

Keep in mind all end times predictions in this forum have been wrong 100% of the time.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Seek the Truth wrote: September 18th, 2017, 10:05 pm Keep in mind all end times predictions in this forum have been wrong 100% of the time.
Except for the solar eclipse on 8/21 that you were wrong about when you predicted nothing (edit) would happen.
Last edited by Alaris on September 18th, 2017, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.