Feel pretty confident that the 2nd coming won't be for 90+ years

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Dubs
captain of 50

Feel pretty confident that the 2nd coming won't be for 90+ years

Post by Dubs »

I know some of you are wishing and hoping and thinking it will happen in the next few years. Sorry, but I don't believe that is the case. There is just too much to be done to expect it to happen in the near future. Don't get your hopes up because it is still a long while off.

clarkkent14
LBFOJ

Re: Feel pretty confident that the 2nd coming won't be for 90+ years

Post by clarkkent14 »

Dubs wrote: September 11th, 2017, 10:57 pm I know some of you are wishing and hoping and thinking it will happen in the next few years. Sorry, but I don't believe that is the case. There is just too much to be done to expect it to happen in the near future. Don't get your hopes up because it is still a long while off.
Too much to be done.... like?

Dubs
captain of 50

Post by Dubs »

clarkkent14 wrote: September 11th, 2017, 11:06 pm
Dubs wrote: September 11th, 2017, 10:57 pm I know some of you are wishing and hoping and thinking it will happen in the next few years. Sorry, but I don't believe that is the case. There is just too much to be done to expect it to happen in the near future. Don't get your hopes up because it is still a long while off.
Besides gospel being preached to all the world, church hq established in MO or baptisms for the dead being performed in Jerusalem? At least according to Robert Millet:

http://www.ldsliving.com/7-Things-That- ... ld/s/80029

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

I have been saying this for years.
The very fact that so many are expecting him very soon, is evidence he won't show up. A thief in the night doesn't appear when everyone thinks he will.

I think we're looking at two or three hundred years.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

I really don't know one way or the other.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I agree that the time frames given often seem short, but history has a way of meandering like a stream and then all of the sudden rushing over a set of falls to begin meandering again. I think we are approaching the falls and that is why so much will happen so quickly.

I also am less worried about when Second Coming takes place than being prepared to weather the storms that come before.

Also, I don't always agree with some people's interpretations of the order of events. I think there is always some confusion as to what is pre-Millennial and what is pre-celestialization.

friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Post by friendsofthe »

Dubs wrote:
Besides gospel being preached to all the world, church hq established in MO or baptisms for the dead being performed in Jerusalem? At least according to Robert Millet:
The gospel will not be preached to all peoples before the Second Coming regardless of what Robert Millet or anyone else says. The scriptures are quite clear on this subject, please read the following:

http://thebridegroomcometh.net/and-then ... -end-come/

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Dubs wrote: September 11th, 2017, 11:16 pm
clarkkent14 wrote: September 11th, 2017, 11:06 pm

http://www.ldsliving.com/7-Things-That- ... ld/s/80029
Please note that the 'end of the world' is after the second coming and just before the earth is celestialized. The gospel does not need to be preached to all the world before the second coming. The work of salvation is the biggest job during the millennium and that includes missionary work.
The Gospel Preached to All the World
Another sign of the last days is that the “gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations” (Matthew 24:14; see also Joseph Smith—Matthew 1:31). All people will hear the fulness of the gospel in their own language (see D&C 90:11). Ever since the Restoration of the Church, missionaries have preached the gospel. The missionary effort has increased until now tens of thousands of missionaries preach in many countries of the world in many languages. Before the Second Coming and during the Millennium, the Lord will provide ways to bring the truth to all nations.
https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-princ ... g?lang=eng
Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/matt/24.14?lang=eng

Different
captain of 100

Post by Different »

Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,
51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

It doesn't really matter when the actual Second Coming is. Once we have established Zion in MO, God will dwell among us. We'll kinda be homefree.

The gospel will not go to the heathen nations until after Armageddon and the miraculous conversion of the Jews. The converted Jews will make great missionaries to the heathen nations. There may not be many survivors at this point and the world in commotion (end of all nations), these missions may be more rescue missions.

The Jews may initially begin to build their OT temple (in the wrong spot on the Haram al Sharif), and the Anti-Christ may reign there, but after Armageddon, the Jews will be converted, the real NT temple will be build in the real spot on the Ophel of the City of David.

The Temple Institute has said that have all the materials ready so that they could have their temple build in 1 year.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

Michelle wrote: September 12th, 2017, 12:56 am I agree that the time frames given often seem short, but history has a way of meandering like a stream and then all of the sudden rushing over a set of falls to begin meandering again. I think we are approaching the falls and that is why so much will happen so quickly.

I also am less worried about when Second Coming takes place than being prepared to weather the storms that come before.

Also, I don't always agree with some people's interpretations of the order of events. I think there is always some confusion as to what is pre-Millennial and what is pre-celestialization.
This person has the right mindset.

And for the rest it doesn't say the gospel preached in all the world so much as being attempted to preached to all peoples. Syrians are being brought to other countries. Chinese are working abroad and getting it that way. Have you considered that?

Tree
captain of 100

Post by Tree »

Agree. Too much speculation with the members of the Church.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

I believe that in 83 years is the Second Coming. It’s jusf an estimate, but remember when everyone in the 1900s thought the Second Coming would be in 2000? Once World War III starts, we’ll know we’re just a few years away from the Cleansing of America, which leads to other things!

83 years! I’m counting down!

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Tree wrote: September 12th, 2017, 10:02 am
Agree. Too much speculation with the members of the Church.
I agree. Too many people think it’s too soon :)

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

gardener4life wrote: September 12th, 2017, 2:44 am
Michelle wrote: September 12th, 2017, 12:56 am I agree that the time frames given often seem short, but history has a way of meandering like a stream and then all of the sudden rushing over a set of falls to begin meandering again. I think we are approaching the falls and that is why so much will happen so quickly.

This person has the right mindset.

And for the rest it doesn't say the gospel preached in all the world so much as being attempted to preached to all peoples. Syrians are being brought to other countries. Chinese are working abroad and getting it that way. Have you considered that?
This. Honestly, the Second Coming could happen tomorrow, in 100 years, or in any time in-between. But that is not specifically what most of us are looking for. Instead, we are looking for the signs that shall initiate the years of Tribulation. IE... the rise of the Marred Servant, the establishing of Zion, the destruction of entire nations, absolute chaos, the Lord testifying through thunderings and lightning, etc.

All this stuff could easily happen within the next couple of years... though that isn't necessarily certain... especially if you account for the many worlds interpretation like I do. IE there is no one straight path to the second coming, but many paths that reach there... some longer, and some shorter. The timeline isn't constant. In reality, it is a constantly shifting and adjusting set of possibilities that remains uncertain due to our own agency. However, certain events are inevitable. For instance... It is inevitable that mankind as a whole will grow more and more wicked, the only question is when will they become wicked enough to trigger the start of the Tribulations.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Joseph Smith says the latter day gathering will be a combination effort between angels and men. The 144,000 are commissioned for this purpose and can be a combination of angels and men themselves. Some or all may be translated and resurrected. If angels and translated beings are involved in the preaching to the world as a witness or the building of the walls, or ZION, or even the third temple then one should not be judging the timeline according to times and rules to which men are alone subjected.

KurtTheMormon
captain of 100

Post by KurtTheMormon »

The SECOND COMING may be a ways off, but the trials and tribulations are not. Expect those within the next few years.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

KurtTheMormon wrote: September 13th, 2017, 10:16 am
The SECOND COMING may be a ways off, but the trials and tribulations are not. Expect those within the next few years.
Beastiality has to become the norm for the tribulations to start...

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

Agree with a few comments that most people who were lumped into the "2nd coming is a few years away" are actually referencing the tribulation to start. As for His coming in glory I think that could be 10, 20, or even 50 years away but I think it will be in the 10-20 year range. I do know it will get bad and we will pray day and night for His return and that there will be a compression of events. I think many look to the tribulation as a kicking off point and that is the anticipation. Here are few good quotes though that may help understand why the importance of thinking it is sooner than later:

Neal A. Maxwell – General Conference - April 1992 “My Servant Joseph”
”Now, my brethren, “these are [your] days” (Hel. 7:9) in the history of the Church. Mark well what kind of days
they will be, days when, with special visibility, the Lord will “make bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations.”
(D&C 133:3.) God will also “hasten” His work. (D&C 88:73.) He will also “shorten” the last days “for the elect’s
sake”; hence, there will be a compression of events. (Matt. 24:22; JS—M 1:20.) Furthermore, “all things shall be
in commotion.” (D&C 88:91.) Only those in the process of becoming the men and women of Christ will be able to
keep their spiritual balance. Brethren, may we “walk by faith,” and, if necessary, even on our knees!”

"The greatest events that have been spoken of by all the Holy Prophets will come along so naturally as the
consequences of certain causes, that unless our eyes are enlightened by the Spirit of God, and the spirit of
revelation rests upon us, we will fail to see that these are the events predicted by the Holy Prophets." George Q.
Cannon, Nov. 2, 1879, JD 21:266-67

We are instructed / commanded to watch for and prepare for the tribulations to precede the Second Coming
of Jesus Christ and the Marvelous event itself.
Elder Marion G. Romney commented (In Conference Report, Oct. 1966, pp. 51–52.):

Now I personally think we have already started to see the destruction of the wicked on a small scale and we are already seeing tribulation due to wickedness. It may be fine and dandy where you live and for your life but you go to Houston and ask them how things are going and you will get a different answer. Things will get much much worse however they will at the same time get much better for the righteous, maybe not physically but spiritually.

FTC
captain of 100

Post by FTC »

I have a few ideas during my lifetime of when it might happen. If those don't take, then the calamities spoken of in the scriptures sound more like what would happen when the sun goes red giant. Which won't happen for another 5 billion years.

kfb
captain of 100

Post by kfb »

If only your confidence was based on scriptures, modern day prophets or latter-day revelation.

DRC53
captain of 100

Post by DRC53 »

Robin Hood wrote: September 12th, 2017, 12:49 am I have been saying this for years.
The very fact that so many are expecting him very soon, is evidence he won't show up. A thief in the night doesn't appear when everyone thinks he will.

First, let me say that I'm not insisting that the Second Coming will be next year or the next. Given my patriarchal blessing,
I have every reason to believe that it will be in my lifetime. But, who knows, because I might be misinterpreting what my blessing is saying. Personally, I am expecting the tribulations to begin in full force in the next few years or so. The most important thing to me is not whether the plagues, etc., start sooner or later, but that I am creating a Zion home now.

Second, as far as the thief in the night verses, it appears that the Lord will come as a thief in the night for those who are not prepared. For those who are waiting and watching, the Second Coming will not catch them off guard as a thief. While no one knows the hour, those ready will know when the time is close.

See 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5

"4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

DRC53 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 11:01 pm
Robin Hood wrote: September 12th, 2017, 12:49 am I have been saying this for years.

First, let me say that I'm not insisting that the Second Coming will be next year or the next. Given my patriarchal blessing,
I have every reason to believe that it will be in my lifetime. But, who knows, because I might be misinterpreting what my blessing is saying. Personally, I am expecting the tribulations to begin in full force in the next few years or so. The most important thing to me is not whether the plagues, etc., start sooner or later, but that I am creating a Zion home now.

Second, as far as the thief in the night verses, it appears that the Lord will come as a thief in the night for those who are not prepared. For those who are waiting and watching, the Second Coming will not catch them off guard as a thief. While no one knows the hour, those ready will know when the time is close.

See 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5

"4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."
However, even the 5 wise virgins who were prepared for the arrival of the bridegroom (because their lamps were trimmed and they had sufficient oil), would not have expected him at midnight. Bridegrooms do not arrive in the middle of the night when everyone, including all of the virgins, were asleep. No man knows the hour, not even the Son.
Therefore I am highly suspicious of any source, including and especially PB's (PB's predicting the second coming have been quite commonplace, especially in the early days of the church, and all have failed) which claims to impart information that not even the Son of God is aware of.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Robin Hood wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:04 am However, even the 5 wise virgins who were prepared for the arrival of the bridegroom (because their lamps were trimmed and they had sufficient oil), would not have expected him at midnight. Bridegrooms do not arrive in the middle of the night when everyone, including all of the virgins, were asleep. No man knows the hour, not even the Son.
Actually that was false. During the time period in which Christ lived it was the custom in Judea for the bridegroom to come at night, sometimes very late into the night.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Durzan wrote: September 18th, 2017, 6:30 am
Robin Hood wrote: September 18th, 2017, 2:04 am However, even the 5 wise virgins who were prepared for the arrival of the bridegroom (because their lamps were trimmed and they had sufficient oil), would not have expected him at midnight. Bridegrooms do not arrive in the middle of the night when everyone, including all of the virgins, were asleep. No man knows the hour, not even the Son.
Actually that was false. During the time period in which Christ lived it was the custom in Judea for the bridegroom to come at night, sometimes very late into the night.
Source?