Harvey is a 1,000-year flood event unprecedented in scale

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
96walker
captain of 100

Harvey is a 1,000-year flood event unprecedented in scale

Post by 96walker »

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/harvey ... &ocid=iehp

So my wife and I were talking this afternoon about the effects of Hurricane Harvey on our state of Texas and the rest of our country. We both have had a feeling since before Harvey made landfall that this was the beginning of something much bigger than we were being led to believe. We live in Fort Worth, far removed from the devastation, but things are beginning to make there way up here. Today most of the gas stations in our area our completely out of gas, and will be for at least the next several days. There is a very real sense of panic setting in to many of the people we talk to in our area. We are now beginning to feel that this (Harvey) was the beginning of something much more than just a devastating hurricane. I can't quite put my feeling into words, but it feels like something more. My questions to you all are these... do any of you feel like this is something more? Could this be the beginning of something that might cause a national or perhaps even global economic crisis? Could this eventually lead to something that might even cause civil unrest? It just feels like we are at some sort of tipping point. I sure hope I am wrong.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Re: Harvey is a 1,000-year flood event unprecedented in scale

Post by kittycat51 »

It's hard to put things into perspective unless it directly effects you. I watch and read the news of things happening around Houston and can't even imagine what people are going through there. It grips my heart and gives me a sense of panic, yet I don't want to truly understand. (Because to understand means to experience it firsthand in my mind) Does it mean something more ominous or greater is to come? Who knows.

There has been a lot of talk and news that shows that after the event of a total solar eclipse (as we experienced a week ago) that really bad things have happened in the days/weeks/months following. It doesn't matter where the eclipse is seen. I read an article from a Jewish scholar that stated the beliefs of repentance should be noted when an eclipse is seen. In light of the eclipse, and the astrological event to take place next month, I would say maybe? But bad things and natural disasters happen all the time around the world daily that don't effect me directly and my life moves on normally regardless. As an example remember the tsunami on Christmas day in 2004 that killed nearly 300,000? That is the most devastating thing I have heard about in my lifetime, yet it didn't change anything for me personally. (other than a sense of gratitude for my blessings)

Concerning your personal feelings about this 1000 year flood which is absolutely terrible? Only time will tell....

96walker
captain of 100

Post by 96walker »

Just heard that the next Hurricane (Irma) developed rapidly in the Atlantic and is expected to be "extremely dangerous."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/31 ... erous.html

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

96walker wrote: August 31st, 2017, 3:01 pm ... do any of you feel like this is something more?
Maybe in your parts, hurricane Irma means something more. [Edit: You beat me to it!]

http://weatherplus.blog.mypalmbeachpost ... hurricane/

I read somewhere that if you got 10 more inches or so, it would've been a 1,000,000 year flood event. It was still impressive! Sad, too...
Last edited by Jonesy on August 31st, 2017, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

No this is nothing larger. Extreme weather events always happen and always will.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

I don't think it's the start of anything, just a continuation of what's already been. When the only true and living church (the LDS church for the few Snufferites who are confused) is persecuted, then I'll worry more.

SmallFarm
captain of 1,000

Post by SmallFarm »

shadow wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:34 pm I don't think it's the start of anything, just a continuation of what's already been. When the only true and living church (the LDS church for the few Snufferites who are confused) is persecuted, then I'll worry more.
I think you and Seek The Truth's constant name calling will help them out one day. :))

Seek the Truth
captain of 1,000

Post by Seek the Truth »

How are you able to tell which floods are portend the arrival of Elias.

Lizzy60
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Lizzy60 »

LDS Anarchist wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:52 pm
96walker wrote: August 31st, 2017, 3:01 pm My questions to you all are these... do any of you feel like this is something more? Could this be the beginning of something that might cause a national or perhaps even global economic crisis? Could this eventually lead to something that might even cause civil unrest? It just feels like we are at some sort of tipping point. I sure hope I am wrong.
  • The solar eclipse caused the moon to cast a shadow upon Earth, and I've been teaching for awhile now that Mormonism is Elias's shadow. Thus, the eclipse portends the impending arrival of Elias.
  • The flood in Texas reminds one of the mighty and strong one that Isaiah spoke of:
    Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. (Isaiah 28:2)
    and that guy is Elias, so the flood in Texas portends the impending arrival of Elias.
  • The September 23rd sign has a planet in a constellation box for nine months and then is finally delivered on the Feast of Trumpets, and I've been teaching for a long time now that God has put Elias into a spiritual "box," and the man's been trying to get out, to be "delivered" from his "box", and that once he's out he'll make an announcement (that's what a trumpet is for) and be fully empowered, kind of like the Revelation 12 sign has the man child "caught up" to God, which could be an "empowerment." So, the September 23rd sign portends the impending arrival of Elias.
The arrival of Elias is a good thing. Nobody ought to be worrying about the future. If these are signs of Elias's deliverance from his box, then they indicate that something wonderful is about to happen.
I agree with this. "Harvey" could be a random flood, but coming immediately after the American Eclipse, and just before the September 23 constellation configuration, don't be surprised if we see more and greater natural disasters piling one on top of the other. It has been prophesied, and it really seems that the stars are aligning.

Also remember that prophecy is not a prediction. It's God telling us what will happen, because He has already seen it happen. The prophets who wrote scripture were told by God what was going to happen. If a current "prophet, seer, and revelator" tells us something that contradicts scripture, he should be giving us a bona fide revelation explaining how God revealed it to him.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Seek the Truth wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:55 pm How are you able to tell which floods are portend the arrival of Elias.
Because Elias is a Texan. According to the doctrine of Little Texas, God blessed Texas with His own hand. Obviously if it gets flooded then it's a sign. Forget about Galveston on 1900. That one didn't count and besides, Glen Campbell didn't mention God in that song. You gotta think this stuff through, Seek.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

96walker wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:16 pm Just heard that the next Hurricane (Irma) developed rapidly in the Atlantic and is expected to be "extremely dangerous."

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/08/31 ... erous.html
At the dawn of the 21st century a proposal first postulated at the beginning of the 19th century lies virtually dormant, namely "Energie Thermique des Mers" or OTEC1 as it is normally referred to today. Although the concept has been known for over a hundred years and could be of major benefit to mankind, it has so far not been exploited to any significant extent.

George Claude's Cuban OTEC Experiment: a Lesson of Tenacity for Entrepreneurs

In 1993 at the Department of Commerce (operates NOAA) in DC I co-chaired a summit to discuss the potential of OTEC systems to minimize or prevent hurricanes. In addition to the Feds and academics, representatives were there from General Dynamics and Lockheed.
Ambitiously, we designed a plan to finance and operate up to 500 floating OTEC plant-ships, each at 1000 MW. I won't even mention the cost, but you would think that, in light of regular multi-billion dollar damages, a few hundred thousand dollars to initiate a program could be warranted. Nope...nothing happened. X( CAN OTEC NEUTRALIZE HURRICANES?

Genesis 1:28 commands us to subdue the Earth, yet we haven't done it, and now bad-stuff happens. :-s :ymsick:

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

Harvey and Katrina are both warnings to the people of the United States to who's in charge. Laws rationalizing sin will not go unnoticed or unpunished by Him.

The winds and the waves shall obey thy will:
Peace, be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No waters can swallow the ship where lies
The Master of ocean and earth and skies.
They all shall sweetly obey thy will:
Peace, be still; peace, be still.
Peace, peace, be still.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Jonesy1982 wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:18 pm
96walker wrote: August 31st, 2017, 3:01 pm ... do any of you feel like this is something more?
Maybe in your parts, hurricane Irma means something more. [Edit: You beat me to it!]

I read somewhere that if you got 10 more inches or so, it would've been a 1,000,000 year flood event. It was still impressive! Sad, too...
Your numbers are slightly off. The 50" of rain parts of Houston received is a 1 in a 1000 year event. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... s-history/

Jonesy
captain of 1,000

Post by Jonesy »

Mala_Suerte wrote: August 31st, 2017, 8:14 pm
Jonesy1982 wrote: August 31st, 2017, 4:18 pm

Your numbers are slightly off. The 50" of rain parts of Houston received is a 1 in a 1000 year event. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/cap ... s-history/
This is the one I read and was referring to (kinda got it right :) ):

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.wash ... -of-water/
The total rainfall from the storm is likely to tally up to a widespread 15 to 30 inches, with a few localized spots picking up 50 inches or more. Many textbooks have the 60-inch mark as a once-in-a-million-year recurrence interval, meaning that if any spots had that amount of rainfall, they would essentially be dealing with a once-in-a-million-year event.

ajax
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by ajax »

The real gas situation is fine. People are over reacting on social media causing runs on gas stations that the stations don't have supply for. In other words, this is a people problem, not a supply problem. In other words, people are dumbasses.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

96walker wrote: August 31st, 2017, 3:01 pm My questions to you all are these... do any of you feel like this is something more? Could this be the beginning of something that might cause a national or perhaps even global economic crisis? Could this eventually lead to something that might even cause civil unrest? It just feels like we are at some sort of tipping point. I sure hope I am wrong.
  • The solar eclipse caused the moon to cast a shadow upon Earth, and I've been teaching for awhile now that Mormonism is Elias's shadow. Thus, the eclipse portends the impending arrival of Elias.
  • The flood in Texas reminds one of the mighty and strong one that Isaiah spoke of:
    Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand. (Isaiah 28:2)
    and that guy is Elias, so the flood in Texas portends the impending arrival of Elias.
  • The September 23rd sign has a planet in a constellation box for nine months and then is finally delivered on the Feast of Trumpets, and I've been teaching for a long time now that God has put Elias into a spiritual "box," and the man's been trying to get out, to be "delivered" from his "box", and that once he's out he'll make an announcement (that's what a trumpet is for) and be fully empowered, kind of like the Revelation 12 sign has the man child "caught up" to God, which could be an "empowerment." So, the September 23rd sign portends the impending arrival of Elias.
The arrival of Elias is a good thing. Nobody ought to be worrying about the future. If these are signs of Elias's deliverance from his box, then they indicate that something wonderful is about to happen.
I will add my witness to LDS Anarchist's and Lizzy60. I will reinforce what the Op says but LDS Anarchists assessment is the correct one. Something wonderful is about to happen. 9/23 is the sign of the spiritual birth of the Davidic Servant into the Heavenly Order of Princes of Peace who know the sacred name of the Father and will enjoy the same honors awarded to the dispensation heads. I believe strongly that the father will be revealed on or near 9/23 and the servant will be empowered. His ministry will be a symbol of the rewards that await the faithful. Isaiah is a great read for those interested in the wonderful things headed our way. Of course it won't be wonderful for all.

I sympathize with the OP. I served in the forth worth mission. Take comfort in the fact that God will always deliver the righteous. Perhaps a self and family spiritual inventory is in order.

Edit: I just posted this in sushi chefs thread on 9.23:

Is the Texas flooding, one of the worst natural disasters of our times that occurred between the eclipse on 8/21 and 9/23 a coincidence? The gulf coast is where the city of Enoch and New Jerusalem will meet (Moses 7:63.) Could this be a foreshadowing of judgements to clear the way for ZION?

Silver
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Silver »

I've been watching the business-like news/weather coverage at www.khou.com. Their weatherman just said that Harvey, while still a tropical wave back in Africa, caused flooding and, sadly, in the country of Sierra Leone, killed about 1,000 people by mudslides. I checked and it's true:

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local ... 94973.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41094892

You can donate to LDS Humanitarian Services to help God's children all over the world. Give 'til it hurts.

h_p
captain of 1,000

Post by h_p »

When the first plane flew into the World Trade Center tower, most people thought it was likely an accident. When the 2nd one hit, everybody knew it was an attack. I'll wait and see what Irma does. Harvey was a sucker-punch from out of the blue. Irma might be the wind-up haymaker.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Sunain wrote: August 31st, 2017, 7:06 pm Harvey and Katrina are both warnings to the people of the United States to who's in charge. Laws rationalizing sin will not go unnoticed or unpunished by Him.

The winds and the waves shall obey thy will:
Peace, be still.
Whether the wrath of the storm-tossed sea
Or demons or men or whatever it be,
No waters can swallow the ship where lies
The Master of ocean and earth and skies.
Peace, be still; peace, be still.
Peace, peace, be still.
We're guilty of a sin of omission to "subdue" the Earth. :-s X( :ymsick:

Yahtzee
captain of 100

Post by Yahtzee »

I keep thinking of this talk from President Eyring over a decade ago
http://www2.byui.edu/Speeches/eyring_jan2005.htm
The giant earthquake, and the tsunamis it sent crashing into the coasts around the Indian Ocean, is just the beginning and a part of what is to come, terrible as it was. You remember the words from the Doctrine and Covenants which now seems so accurate:
And after your testimony cometh wrath and indignation upon the people.

For after your testimony cometh the testimony of earthquakes, that shall cause groanings in the midst of her, and men shall fall upon the ground and shall not be able to stand.

And also cometh the testimony of the voice of thunderings, and the voice of lightnings, and the voice of tempests, and the voice of the waves of the sea heaving themselves beyond their bounds.

And all things shall be in commotion; and surely, men’s hearts shall fail them; for fear shall come upon all people (Doctrine and Covenants 88: 88-91).

Fear shall come upon all people. But you and I know that the Lord has prepared places of safety to which He is eager to guide us. I think of that often.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

What surprised me about Harvey was the lack of foreknowledge. Often warning come more than a few days in advance in our modern tech world. Thursday they announced it was coming, Friday it hit.

I know it is hurricane season, but they are one on top of the other at this point.

We are now watching Hurricane Irma for the East Coast, and another storm is behind Irma that they said will turn into a hurricane, but we'll have to wait and see where it hits.

Arenera
captain of 1,000

Post by Arenera »

Oh no.....David Denver Elias ben Snuffer......

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Michelle wrote: September 1st, 2017, 10:22 am What surprised me about Harvey was the lack of foreknowledge. Often warning come more than a few days in advance in our modern tech world. Thursday they announced it was coming, Friday it hit.

I know it is hurricane season, but they are one on top of the other at this point.

We are now watching Hurricane Irma for the East Coast, and another storm is behind Irma that they said will turn into a hurricane, but we'll have to wait and see where it hits.
Same thing happened with Typhoon Soudelor which was just the third in a string of tropical storms, until it was just 75 miles offshore. It devastated Saipan property wise, knocking out power and waiting in gas lines for over a month. Just yesterday my cable internet was reestablished. Then it moved west wreaking further destruction. And OTEC could of prevented all storms since the 60s had we invested less than the cost of one major storm on a populated area. X(
Last edited by BeNotDeceived on September 1st, 2017, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mala_Suerte
captain of 100

Post by Mala_Suerte »

Michelle wrote: September 1st, 2017, 10:22 am What surprised me about Harvey was the lack of foreknowledge. Often warning come more than a few days in advance in our modern tech world. Thursday they announced it was coming, Friday it hit.

They knew the storm was coming and that it was growing, see the timeline at the link below. What they didn't know for sure is where exactly it would hit land. By Thursday they had a rough idea of a general area it might hit. By Friday at 2pm it was 45 miles from Corpus Christi - 8 hours later it hit.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/26/ti ... pment.html

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

LDS Anarchist wrote: September 1st, 2017, 3:48 pm
Arenera wrote: September 1st, 2017, 1:18 pm Oh no.....David Denver Elias ben Snuffer......
Oh, I oh so hope he starts calling himself that!
=))