Who believes that the Second Coming is close?

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
friendsofthe
captain of 1,000

Who believes that the Second Coming is close?

Post by friendsofthe »

As one who writes and blogs about scriptural evidences of the Lord’s Second Advent being just around the corner, I’m somewhat surprised at some of the attitudes I run into. I’m going to say that most members I talk to or get feedback from are not very concerned about it. It’s like we are sleeping rather than being aware in many instances.

I’ve also read many a post on this forum by those who think the Second Coming is far off into the future. But I’m not sure where the thinking of the majority of forum members is on this topic. I’d like to hear form a good number of you as to what your take is. Is it close, is it far off, what do you think?
Last edited by friendsofthe on August 18th, 2017, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gangbusters
captain of 100

Re: Who believes that the Second Coming is close?

Post by gangbusters »

Frank,
Nearby in Eagle, ID my sister in law's ward just had Elder Rasband come visit them for stake conference. He talked about the Second Coming. He shared several scriptures and told them to remember several key words. One of the scriptures concerned how many feel how all is well in Zion. I forget the word he told them to remember, but his point was that many are too at ease right now.

Another word he told them to remember was calamity, quoting Section 1 of D&C if I remember well.

I admit I go back and forth on exactly how close I think His return is. This world is so ripe in iniquity and disobedience it's shocking. The Gentiles are fully rejecting the Gospel and I can't imagine there's much time until their "times are fulfilled." Not a day goes by I don't ponder how close we are to His return.

About ten years ago or so I distinctly thought we had a good 100 years before he'd return. I can't believe how foolish I was now. Things have gone downhill so fast and I've developed this ominous feeling of coming judgment on this country and world.

I don't know how close it is, but I can't imagine my own kids, the oldest of whom is only 7, wouldn't live to see it if they live to old age.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

I think the world as we know it continues on, as God's purposes for creating the earth are still in effect. So long as the Church is continuing to progress, I see no reason to wrap it up, as it were. Besides, I know there are great individuals in the Church, but as a whole have we really merited the blessings of the millennium yet? I think we still have some collective work to do to get there. There are some evil people, to be sure, but there are a ton of really good people too. Plus, our persecution seems mighty light right now, and people who follow Christ's teachings and the counsel of the prophets can still raise their children in righteousness. I do have some ominous feelings to be sure. I would love it if it were tomorrow, but I am preparing my choildren to live in troubled times for their adulthood.

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

I think that our government will have to persecute "the Saints" (in my mind that is anyone who follows the Savior, not just our church) before they are the nation is ripened enough to be wiped from the face of the land as predicted/promised in the BofM. That process of being wiped from the land will likely take years. Then while the remnant establish Zion, Babylon will attack Israel/Jerusalem and that process will take years, as you know.

Although the Savior will appear in both Zion and Jerusalem, his "Second Coming" won't likely be for many years after Jerusalem is saved...we know that the 144,000 will go out to prune the vineyard one last time before his coming in glory. That process will likely take years as well.

So I don't think his coming is close...but I feel like the tribulations aren't that far off.

braingrunt
captain of 1,000

Post by braingrunt »

Well there's a limit SOMEWHERE, where the second coming either has to happen or this is not true:

DC77
6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.

Or we can disbelieve the biblical timeline. The pressure is already mounting. The clock is ticking.

kittycat51
captain of 1,000

Post by kittycat51 »

15 or less years.

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

braingrunt wrote: August 18th, 2017, 9:14 am Well there's a limit SOMEWHERE, where the second coming either has to happen or this is not true:

DC77
6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.

Or we can disbelieve the biblical timeline. The pressure is already mounting. The clock is ticking.
Isn't one of the prophecies that people will say the time for the second coming has passed? I am starting to hear murmurings from some secular folks that say that, but not from the religious folks yet. So, it seems to me that there is still more time. The problem with the 7,000 year clock is that we really don't know, as far as I know, exactly what year or how long ago Adam and Eve left the garden. From what I know we just have an approximation, which means we don't accurately know where we are in that 7,000 timeframe. So it could easily be another 1-100 years. My second coming will be within the next 50 years, based on my age. My children are leaving my home in the next 4-14 years. So, those are the dates of preparation for me and my kids. They also happen to be good preparation for the second coming as my temporal and spiritual preparation for those milestones also leave me prepared for the second coming. Since we could die at any moment, spiritual preparation should be a constant. And the temporal preparation we have received through counsel to get and stay out of debt, save for a rainy day, and have extended food and other necessary supplies takes care of temporal preparation.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

RAB wrote: August 18th, 2017, 10:44 am
braingrunt wrote: August 18th, 2017, 9:14 am Well there's a limit SOMEWHERE, where the second coming either has to happen or this is not true:

DC77

Isn't one of the prophecies that people will say the time for the second coming has passed? I am starting to hear murmurings from some secular folks that say that, but not from the religious folks yet. So, it seems to me that there is still more time. The problem with the 7,000 year clock is that we really don't know, as far as I know, exactly what year or how long ago Adam and Eve left the garden. From what I know we just have an approximation, which means we don't accurately know where we are in that 7,000 timeframe. So it could easily be another 1-100 years. My second coming will be within the next 50 years, based on my age. My children are leaving my home in the next 4-14 years. So, those are the dates of preparation for me and my kids. They also happen to be good preparation for the second coming as my temporal and spiritual preparation for those milestones also leave me prepared for the second coming. Since we could die at any moment, spiritual preparation should be a constant. And the temporal preparation we have received through counsel to get and stay out of debt, save for a rainy day, and have extended food and other necessary supplies takes care of temporal preparation.
Since 2000 wasn’t the 7000th year, we are somewhere in between 6800-6980. If the Second Coming is in 2100, take 2100-7003 (3 1/2 Years for the tribulations) You’ll get 4903 for 4903 BC, when the Fall of Man was.

The basic Book of Revelation Overview has the dates of each Seal hundreds of years off...
Last edited by Z2100 on August 18th, 2017, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

There are many things that have to happen prior to the 2nd coming. However, if you look around the signs that have been talked about that are warnings for the 2nd coming are all around us. We are on the doorstep of this happening but that may be 20 30 or 40 years out. Personally I think we have a lot of tribualtion to go through but it could be as soon as 10 years or maybe as far out as 20. I know there are not too many people saying the Lord delayeth His coming and not too many people praying for it because things are hard.

I have started talking to my kids about them being here for the 2nd coming because I do believe it will be in my lifetime and in theirs. It's pretty easy to say things will be good for another 20 years but life can change in an instant - all it takes is one bad earthquake, mudslide, or something and you are in the thick of the trials that have been prophesied.

I don't really buy into the talk that there are too many good people still, as we know there will be many who are good people that are not members of the church so there will always be good people. I do think we are wicked enough for a cleansing but until the Lord feels that the work is done we have some time.

When the missionaries are called home - watch out. Probably need to watch out before then as I imagine things will be pretty bad.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

The Second Coming was not in 2000, so what now?

We are somewhere in 6800-6980 years since the Fall of Man

The Fall of Man could date back to at least 4900 BC.

The “Book of Revelation Overview” is off by hundreds of years

I believe that the Second Coming could be in 2100

Take 2100-7003 (3 1/2 Years of tribulations)

You get 4903 as in 4903 BC, when the Fall of Man was

frankcastle
captain of 10

Post by frankcastle »

The more I have studied the dreams and predictions of the idiots out there trying to make a dollar, the more I agree with Boyd K. Packer. We could easily still have a hundred years or more before the Second Coming.

Truths Most Worth Knowing: An Apostle’s Witness by Boyd K. Packer
“It is a marvelous time to be alive. The world is not going to come to an end anytime soon. You are going to have time to stand, as I stand now, talking about your children and your grandchildren and your great-grandchildren.
Counsel to Youth by Boyd K. Packer, October 2011
Sometimes you might be tempted to think as I did from time to time in my youth: “The way things are going, the world’s going to be over with. The end of the world is going to come before I get to where I should be.” Not so! You can look forward to doing it right—getting married, having a family, seeing your children and grandchildren, maybe even great-grandchildren.

gardener4life
captain of 1,000

Post by gardener4life »

It is a matter of principle that the way the Lord left this world after being resurrected, he intended for us to believe that his return could happen in our life time, meaning all members in all timelines were meant to believe it could happen to them in their own way. He did that on purpose as a way to create enduring faith.

It's also true that it will happen in most of our lives. It's not going to be 100 years from now or 50 years from now. Particularly the GREAT trials and tribulations preceding it could start any day.

It's going to happen soon. I absolutely know it will happen soon. I can't give a year or date or month. I don't know the exact time period. But I also feel that it's going to happen soon and that the tribulations will happen quickly soon too. I've felt impressions also that its not a lot later, but that there's a need to get ready for something soon. One of the ways that we know that the cleansing of the land type of trials and GREAT tribulations will go off quickly is that they have to go off quickly enough for the righteous to be spared, but not be unscathed and only the wicked swept off. If they happened slowly over a period of years then the wicked would still have time to cannibalize the righteous or their resources in order to try to stay alive themselves.

I can't really explain or say why I do what I know except that I do know this is very shortly going to come to pass. I hope others are filling their lamps with oil and staying ready and repentant. And the ones who will know it to be true and happening will be those reading the scriptures; specifically the Book of Mormon, and the other words of the Savior. The others will probably mock the truth; which will set them up to mourn.

I hope that members take this more seriously. It's shocking how callous a lot of people are but partly I think they are acting that way because of fear of man, and fear of speaking up. We can't be afraid of the gospel, or afraid of its events. It doesn't do any good to worry about being cool and put the gospel on the back burner for fear of what the world will think of us. I think this is the real issue; being ashamed of the gospel.

And D&C section 1 does warn the saints about putting of being spiritually prepared for the Lord coming back, and in particularly warns them against breaking their covenants, ordinances; and not appreciating and straying from the promises and blessings of said ordinances.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

gardener4life wrote: August 18th, 2017, 10:58 am It is a matter of principle that the way the Lord left this world after being resurrected, he intended for us to believe that his return could happen in our life time, meaning all members in all timelines were meant to believe it could happen to them in their own way. He did that on purpose as a way to create enduring faith.

It's also true that it will happen in most of our lives. It's not going to be 100 years from now or 50 years from now. Particularly the GREAT trials and tribulations preceding it could start any day.

It's going to happen soon. I absolutely know it will happen soon. I can't give a year or date or month. I don't know the exact time period. But I also feel that it's going to happen soon and that the tribulations will happen quickly soon too. I've felt impressions also that its not a lot later, but that there's a need to get ready for something soon. One of the ways that we know that the cleansing of the land type of trials and GREAT tribulations will go off quickly is that they have to go off quickly enough for the righteous to be spared, but not be unscathed and only the wicked swept off. If they happened slowly over a period of years then the wicked would still have time to cannibalize the righteous or their resources in order to try to stay alive themselves.

I can't really explain or say why I do what I know except that I do know this is very shortly going to come to pass. I hope others are filling their lamps with oil and staying ready and repentant. And the ones who will know it to be true and happening will be those reading the scriptures; specifically the Book of Mormon, and the other words of the Savior. The others will probably mock the truth; which will set them up to mourn.

I hope that members take this more seriously. It's shocking how callous a lot of people are but partly I think they are acting that way because of fear of man, and fear of speaking up. We can't be afraid of the gospel, or afraid of its events. It doesn't do any good to worry about being cool and put the gospel on the back burner for fear of what the world will think of us. I think this is the real issue; being ashamed of the gospel.

And D&C section 1 does warn the saints about putting of being spiritually prepared for the Lord coming back, and in particularly warns them against breaking their covenants, ordinances; and not appreciating and straying from the promises and blessings of said ordinances.
Wow! Nicely said!

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

LDS Physician wrote: August 18th, 2017, 8:59 am I think that our government will have to persecute "the Saints" (in my mind that is anyone who follows the Savior, not just our church) before they are the nation is ripened enough to be wiped from the face of the land as predicted/promised in the BofM. That process of being wiped from the land will likely take years. Then while the remnant establish Zion, Babylon will attack Israel/Jerusalem and that process will take years, as you know.

Although the Savior will appear in both Zion and Jerusalem, his "Second Coming" won't likely be for many years after Jerusalem is saved...we know that the 144,000 will go out to prune the vineyard one last time before his coming in glory. That process will likely take years as well.

So I don't think his coming is close...but I feel like the tribulations aren't that far off.
Ezra's eagle could be a super fast path to persecution for us. I believe the ascent of the davidic servant will be met with a sharp attack on the Lord's people...governments may be toppled gadianton style.

The gathering is a combination effort between men and angels according to Joseph Smith. I believe the 144,000 may mostly be resurrected beings. This could also signify a much faster timeline if we have immortal men in disguise (see Isaiah 6) visiting all nations for a final witness. We LDS somewhat arrogantly assume this final witness must be from our young men and women. O:-)

Edit: The word "power" is often associated with the davidic servant and his ministry. His kingdom will be established and he will be a prince forever. Power could certainly be demonstrated by the principle of speed.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

"The more I have studied the dreams and predictions of the idiots out there trying to make a dollar, the more I agree with Boyd K. Packer."

Ha, I like that. Can you imagine the amount of people that will lose faith of a 2nd coming if we make it to 2050, or 2100 and beyond.

frankcastle
captain of 10

Post by frankcastle »

gardener4life wrote: August 18th, 2017, 10:58 am It is a matter of principle that the way the Lord left this world after being resurrected, he intended for us to believe that his return could happen in our life time, meaning all members in all timelines were meant to believe it could happen to them in their own way. He did that on purpose as a way to create enduring faith.

Why should I believe you over Boyd K. Packer - someone with stewardship?

Would you call the Great Depression and World War II a tribulation? We could easily have tribulation and persecution, but it doesn't mean it is the Second Coming.
‘But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.’”

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

Like many others, I have had multiple impressions that at least something big is coming soon... probably the Second Coming... but soon could mean tomorrow or in a hundred years.

Nevertheless, I am also inclined to believe that it might be within our lifetimes, if nothing else for the sense of urgency I have felt at times over the past two years, and the rapid increase in chaos seen within the US and parts of Europe. It wouldn't take much to collapse most of western society... and that is essentially what the Great Tribulation is supposed to be... a sudden collapse of society coupled with a rapid increase in highly destructive natural disasters.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

frankcastle wrote: August 18th, 2017, 11:14 am

Why should I believe you over Boyd K. Packer - someone with stewardship?

Would you call the Great Depression and World War II a tribulation? We could easily have tribulation and persecution, but it doesn't mean it is the Second Coming.
‘But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.’”
Frank - could you tell us what Boyd K Packer said that contradicted what was said.

We are told to watch the signs so we can be prepared. We may not know the day or hour but we will know when we are close. We will know when all the prophecies have been fulfilled. I think we will get to the point where we could say it could happen next month or next year.

Tree
captain of 100

Post by Tree »

Too many good and bad things that need to happen before the actual appearance of The Savoir.

I personally believe that His appearance will be 30+ yrs from now. Can the timeline be accelerated or de-accelerated? Only Heavenly Father knows that and He knows everything. We can do nothing to change this timeline. Think of everything compressed into one vessel. The vessel doesn't change physical shape but the volume within can change inside. Heavenly Father controls the vessel but we control one of the many variables that act inside the vessels.

Things are very comfortable for most members of the Church right now. When the nasty stuff gets nasty before the actual appearance of the Savoir, this is what I would be worried about not when He comes. I believe this nasty stuff will be long drawn out because the Lord has time and time again given many chances for people to correct their ways (the variables in the vessel) and God has to work off the God given human nature that we possess. If He didn't, then agency is taken away.

frankcastle
captain of 10

Post by frankcastle »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 18th, 2017, 11:28 am

Frank - could you tell us what Boyd K Packer said that contradicted what was said.

We are told to watch the signs so we can be prepared. We may not know the day or hour but we will know when we are close. We will know when all the prophecies have been fulfilled. I think we will get to the point where we could say it could happen next month or next year.

Apparently it was only me that thought Gardener4Life and Boyd K. Packer seemed to have different messages. For me, Boyd K. Packer hints at a longer time frame until the Second Coming, and that trials/tribulation does not equal Second Coming. Gardner4Life seemed to imply a shorter time frame until the Second Coming, and that tribulations that now seem imminent, are The tribulations before the Second Coming. Unless I find out that Gardner4Life is a General Authority, then I am going to put my faith in Boyd K. Packer's message, and expect to see grandchildren, and maybe even great grandchildren before the Second Coming. My oldest child is 1 now.

Gardner4Life made many good points - especially that everyone since Christ ascended into heaven has thought He would return during their lifetime, and that helps people live a better life.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I believe it will likely be between 2030-2090.

Revelation 13, Daniel 7-10

I believe the head of the first beast has already been wounded to death. I believe the second beast that has power to heal the first beasts wound and give life unto his image, to allow him to speak, to have the heart of a man, to stand on the feet of a man is already working hard to do so. (All these traits are from Revelation and Daniel listed above.) I believe the first mark is ready and the second was recently announced.

Yes, in case you were wondering, the head of the first beast actually used the number 666. He published it to the world, but the world forgot, ignored, or didn't care.

The 3 animals listed (Rev. 13 and Daniel 7) as kingdoms are nations (not too hard to recognize them) the fourth is diverse from the others. Not a nation, but a kingdom none the less, to whom the whole earth submits to its rules and govern-ment. It can hardly be described, no animal, but instead dreadful, terrible, strong, with iron teeth. It devours, breaks in pieces and stamps the residue of the former.

"If any man have an ear, let him hear.

He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints."

The saints are not allowed to overcome the beast, he overcomes them. But when he confronts Christ, only then will he be destroyed.

So many say, "there is so much still to happen,' but the time until he is healed plus those dreadful 42 months given to the beast will be enough.

Michelle
captain of 1,000

Post by Michelle »

I don't see how President Packer's quote contradicts the second coming being soon. Life will continue into the Millennium for the righteous, marrying, children, work, etc. He was speaking to those who should be righteous.

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

frankcastle wrote: August 18th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Apparently it was only me that thought Gardener4Life and Boyd K. Packer seemed to have different messages. For me, Boyd K. Packer hints at a longer time frame until the Second Coming, and that trials/tribulation does not equal Second Coming. Gardner4Life seemed to imply a shorter time frame until the Second Coming, and that tribulations that now seem imminent, are The tribulations before the Second Coming. Unless I find out that Gardner4Life is a General Authority, then I am going to put my faith in Boyd K. Packer's message, and expect to see grandchildren, and maybe even great grandchildren before the Second Coming. My oldest child is 1 now.

Gardner4Life made many good points - especially that everyone since Christ ascended into heaven has thought He would return during their lifetime, and that helps people live a better life.
Maybe you could post the quote - I think I remember the one you are mentioning. I thought the quote was more towards those fearing things were going to completely fall apart. Of course we will continue to marry, have kids, and grow old - this can all happen when calamities abound, and and they will. He was saying you don't have to stop living. We also get the quote of continuing to plant your cherry trees. All good true statements and very much needed for those who stop living because they think the end is near.

I think terrible calamities could start tomorrow, and President Packer would still be correct.
Last edited by e-eye2.0 on August 18th, 2017, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

e-eye2.0 wrote: August 18th, 2017, 2:14 pm
frankcastle wrote: August 18th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Maybe you could post the quote - I think I remember the one you are mentioning. I thought the quote was more towards those fearing things were going to completely fall apart. Of course we will continue to marry, have kids, and grow old - this can all happen when calamaties about and it will. He was saying you don't have to stop living. We also get the quote of continuing to plant your cherry trees. All good true statements and very much needed for those who stop living because they think the end is near.

I think terrible calamities could start tomorrow and President Packer would still be correct.
Good thinking. I've always thought the same thing. Just like how people will continue to be born into the milennium!

96walker
captain of 100

Post by 96walker »

Michelle wrote: August 18th, 2017, 1:25 pm I don't see how President Packer's quote contradicts the second coming being soon. Life will continue into the Millennium for the righteous, marrying, children, work, etc. He was speaking to those who should be righteous.
I 100% agree!