Questions on "The Mountains"

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Where are The Mountains?

Poll ended at May 1st, 2018, 3:44 pm

Our own churches?
16%
Just the Rockies?
40%
The Rockies and the Himalayas?
No votes
Other (share)?
44%

Total votes: 25
Z2100
captain of 100

Questions on "The Mountains"

Post by Z2100 »

I bet you'be heard it at-least 1000 times in your life:

When things get really bad, we're all going to the mountains ("Prophecy" by Duane Crowther as a reference). We are left with some questions because prophets haven't told us much:

1. When will be escape to the mountains?
2. How many people will be in the mountains?
3. Where exactly ARE the mountains?
4. When will we be called to the mountains?
5. Will the mountains be the Rockies & the Himalayas?

Do you have the same questions? Share your thoughts on this particularly interesting topic in the last days. IMO, "The Mountains" are the Rockies in Alaska & Canada that are cut-off from civilization.

[b]Please do not mention tent cities, JR, or Cleon Skousen[/b]
Attachments
The Places of Refuge in The Last Days
The Places of Refuge in The Last Days
qmmRtBTK00.png (367.99 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Re: Questions on "The Mountains"

Post by Matchmaker »

If I may please give my opinion, and this is only my opinion and not based on anything specific.

When things really get out of control in the cities, I think we will see citizens hightailing it to the mountain ranges that are closest to them, whatever state they are living in, forming groups of like-minded people who are willing to pool their resources for protection against the invaders or roving gangs.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

I go to "the mountain" for refuge right now. It's called the Draper temple.

Isaiah 2:1-5

"The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD'S house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And all nations shall flow into it. 3 Many people shall come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.' For out of Zion shall go forth the law. And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 He shall judge between the nations, And rebuke many people; They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. 5 O house of Jacob, come and let us walk in the light of the LORD." (See also Micah 4:1-5).

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Why is just one interpretation correct? I believe that, as used in scriptural prophecy, mountain has several meanings.

When society collapses as badly as Orson Pratt prophesied, who really thinks the criminals will suddenly stop at the gates to the Oakland or Santa Monica (Los Angeles) temple grounds? Did the fact that what the Jews had in ancient times was a temple stop invading forces from desecrating the temple?

Carlos
captain of 100

Post by Carlos »

The law of God came from Mt Sinai. A mountain is a symbol the Lord uses for a kingdom, nation, a place of governance, a source of law. These are high places that people look to for guidance. It is also an symbol for pride. Government is the arm of flesh, the pride of man. In the last days, the mountains will be made low and the valleys will be exalted.

"The word that Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. 2 Now it shall come to pass in the latter days That the mountain of the LORD'S house Shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be exalted above the hills; And all nations shall flow into it. 3 Many people shall come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; He will teach us His ways, And we shall walk in His paths.' For out of Zion shall go forth the law. And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. 4 He shall judge between the nations, And rebuke many people; They shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore. 5 O house of Jacob, come and let us walk in the light of the LORD." (See also Micah 4:1-5).
In these passages, replace the word mountain with government or kingdom. The Lord's house is the house of Israel, the church, believers. The prophecy is about the establishment of Zion (the physical kingdom) in the millennium. It will be above other nations. Nations will look to the Lord's 'mountain' for guidance. Peace will follow.

I don't believe millions or billions of people will flee to literal mountains, foolish. They will turn to their governments for protection, for peace. People have already fled to the "mountains". Nations are their saviors since governments are their source of food, housing, health, education, morality, and protection. People will intensify their need for "mountains" when things really fall apart.
The Lord's house has sought peace and refuge elsewhere; Self reliance, strength in the community of the church, God's laws.

Carlos

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Carlos wrote: May 1st, 2017, 11:06 pm The law of God came from Mt Sinai. A mountain is a symbol the Lord uses for a kingdom, nation, a place of governance, a source of law. These are high places that people look to for guidance. It is also an symbol for pride. Government is the arm of flesh, the pride of man. In the last days, the mountains will be made low and the valleys will be exalted.

In these passages, replace the word mountain with government or kingdom. The Lord's house is the house of Israel, the church, believers. The prophecy is about the establishment of Zion (the physical kingdom) in the millennium. It will be above other nations. Nations will look to the Lord's 'mountain' for guidance. Peace will follow.

I don't believe millions or billions of people will flee to literal mountains, foolish. They will turn to their governments for protection, for peace. People have already fled to the "mountains". Nations are their saviors since governments are their source of food, housing, health, education, morality, and protection. People will intensify their need for "mountains" when things really fall apart.
The Lord's house has sought peace and refuge elsewhere; Self reliance, strength in the community of the church, God's laws.

Carlos

Well then what will happen to us when all Hell breaks loose?

Carlos
captain of 100

Post by Carlos »

Z2100 wrote: May 1st, 2017, 11:15 pm Well then what will happen to us when all Hell breaks loose?
We seek refuge in the mountain of the Lord's house. The government of the Lord's people is in our wards and stakes, these are our mountains. Do you think you'll be better off scurrying off to the the rockies where there is no food, no protection from the elements, and chaos? A unified, focused people pool their talents and resources to solve their problems. We are the kingdom of God, an "army with banners".

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

Z2100 wrote: May 1st, 2017, 3:44 pm IMO, "The Mountains" are the Rockies in Alaska & Canada that are cut-off from civilization.
Do you believe that there is a worldwide gathering before the escape to the mountains? Or are we international saints left to suffer?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Z2100 wrote: May 1st, 2017, 3:44 pm I bet you'be heard it at-least 1000 times in your life:

When things get really bad, we're all going to the mountains ("Prophecy" by Duane Crowther as a reference). We are left with some questions because prophets haven't told us much:

1. When will be escape to the mountains?
2. How many people will be in the mountains?
3. Where exactly ARE the mountains?
4. When will we be called to the mountains?
5. Will the mountains be the Rockies & the Himalayas?

Do you have the same questions? Share your thoughts on this particularly interesting topic in the last days. IMO, "The Mountains" are the Rockies in Alaska & Canada that are cut-off from civilization.

Please do not mention tent cities, JR, or Cleon Skousen
Measured from the base some islands are really tall mountains that rise more than 30,000 feet from the sea floor. The man that walked up a hill and came down a mountain is a movie that provides one way to answer the question. :ymparty:

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

inho wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 2:03 am
Z2100 wrote: May 1st, 2017, 3:44 pm IMO, "The Mountains" are the Rockies in Alaska & Canada that are cut-off from civilization.
Do you believe that there is a worldwide gathering before the escape to the mountains? Or are we international saints left to suffer?
I highly doubt that there will be a worldwide gathering. If there are no members spread throughout the earth (see the parable of the leaven) how will the gospel be preached to everyone?

RAB
captain of 100

Post by RAB »

DesertWonderer wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 9:45 am
I highly doubt that there will be a worldwide gathering. If there are no members spread throughout the earth (see the parable of the leaven) how will the gospel be preached to everyone?
Ditto. The time for gathering physically to one location has passed. We have been told that now we gather to the Stakes in whatever country we are in. Even the building up of the New Jerusalem will not require all the saints to go. We need to be dispersed throughout the world. When calamities hit, I have seen first hand Stakes jump into action to help ease suffering after floods and tornadoes. I don't think it would be any different uniting for safety and security if needs be. That does not require those active in our 16 million members to come together in one body. That would be a logistical nightmare. The pockets of 2,000 or 3,000 in a Stake watching out for one another would be sufficient.

JohnnyL
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by JohnnyL »

brianj wrote: May 1st, 2017, 9:31 pm Why is just one interpretation correct? I believe that, as used in scriptural prophecy, mountain has several meanings.

When society collapses as badly as Orson Pratt prophesied, who really thinks the criminals will suddenly stop at the gates to the Oakland or Santa Monica (Los Angeles) temple grounds? Did the fact that what the Jews had in ancient times was a temple stop invading forces from desecrating the temple?
The Jews' temple was not "good". I'd bet that yes, they will suddenly stop at the gates.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

This is how I would see it too. So the next logical question is that does the prophecies about "fleeing to mountains" address all saints or just some particular group. If they are applicable to all believers, then I would say that they must be interpreted figuratively, since not all saints can flee to the same actual mountains.

DesertWonderer
captain of 1,000

Post by DesertWonderer »

inho wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm
This is how I would see it too. So the next logical question is that does the prophecies about "fleeing to mountains" address all saints or just some particular group. If they are applicable to all believers, then I would say that they must be interpreted figuratively, since not all saints can flee to the same actual mountains.
To which prophecies exactly are you referring? I'd need the scriptural reference before I commented. I think much of what has been said about fleeing to the mountains has been based on incorrectly interpreted scripture and given as gospel. See Carlos' post above.

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

DesertWonderer wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 1:52 pm To which prophecies exactly are you referring? I'd need the scriptural reference before I commented. I think much of what has been said about fleeing to the mountains has been based on incorrectly interpreted scripture and given as gospel. See Carlos' post above.
I don't know. Z2100 gave no scriptural references in his OP. I think Carlos is spot on.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

JohnnyL wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 10:16 am
brianj wrote: May 1st, 2017, 9:31 pm Why is just one interpretation correct? I believe that, as used in scriptural prophecy, mountain has several meanings.

The Jews' temple was not "good". I'd bet that yes, they will suddenly stop at the gates.
Seeing the baddies stopping right at the temple would be amazing to see...

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Z2100 wrote: May 1st, 2017, 11:15 pm Well then what will happen to us when all Hell breaks loose?
This might be a description of hell to the ones who prophesied about it... Will it get worse when the 3 major fault lines rumble in the US and the eastern seaboard gets smashed, yep. We are going thru severe times now, compared to before when the prophecies where given. I think we are weathering the trials well for the most part.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Bronco73idi wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 2:50 pm
This might be a description of hell to the ones who prophesied about it... Will it get worse when the 3 major fault lines rumble in the US and the eastern seaboard gets smashed, yep. We are going thru severe times now, compared to before when the prophecies where given. I think we are weathering the trials well for the most part.

So, in a sense, we are basically in a very dangerous time, comparable to the prophecies of old?

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

Matchmaker wrote: May 1st, 2017, 8:31 pm If I may please give my opinion, and this is only my opinion and not based on anything specific.

When things really get out of control in the cities, I think we will see citizens hightailing it to the mountain ranges that are closest to them, whatever state they are living in, forming groups of like-minded people who are willing to pool their resources for protection against the invaders or roving gangs.
This is what I think is most likely going to happen. The only way to survive a widespread scourge/plague, famine, and most likely war, which will result in lack of utilities, is to go somewhere hidden from the mobs and where there is clean water. I think it very likely that at some point Stakes and Wards will be counseled to leave and will be formed within the mountains away from the cities.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Sarah wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 3:41 pm
Matchmaker wrote: May 1st, 2017, 8:31 pm If I may please give my opinion, and this is only my opinion and not based on anything specific.

This is what I think is most likely going to happen. The only way to survive a widespread scourge/plague, famine, and most likely war, which will result in lack of utilities, is to go somewhere hidden from the mobs and where there is clean water. I think it very likely that at some point Stakes and Wards will be counseled to leave and will be formed within the mountains away from the cities.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There are some great places in British Columbia I would like to visit. I'd camp and hike the mountains. I can't wait to go there!

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

JohnnyL wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 10:16 am

Just like the Nauvoo temple was p̶r̶o̶t̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶v̶a̶n̶d̶a̶l̶s̶ ̶e̶n̶t̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶e̶c̶r̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶i̶n̶g̶?

Bronco73idi
captain of 1,000

Post by Bronco73idi »

Z2100 wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 3:04 pm
Bronco73idi wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 2:50 pm

So, in a sense, we are basically in a very dangerous time, comparable to the prophecies of old?
yes and compared to 60 years ago.

Imagine the Israelite's wandering the desert, do you think that they thought their story would be told to every generation of Jewish descent for 3800 years? If you would have told them that I imagine they would have replied "oh, really? It's better then being a slave in Egypt." The actions of the Jewish people in the stories show they didn't think it was anything special. This is an example to me of the actions of the people today.

Sink holes at an alarming rate, no big deal
flocks of birds dying often, it happens
The earth groaning, hmmm
crazy weather, that's strange. who's playing?

Matchmaker
captain of 1,000

Post by Matchmaker »

Z2100 wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There are some great places in British Columbia I would like to visit. I'd camp and hike the mountains. I can't wait to go there!
I can't speak for any other Ward, but when I lived in AZ, our Ward had a designated place up in the AZ mountains where we agreed we would all meet if a bonafide emergency occurred and we all needed to leave our houses in the valley in a hurry.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

Matchmaker wrote: May 3rd, 2017, 2:57 am
Z2100 wrote: May 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm

I can't speak for any other Ward, but when I lived in AZ, our Ward had a designated place up in the AZ mountains where we agreed we would all meet if a bonafide emergency occurred and we all needed to leave our houses in the valley in a hurry.

Cool. I happen to live in AZ! My Ward doesn't talk about that kind of stuff, but I'm very sure all of the bishops and Stake President have a particular spot.

Gage
captain of 100

Post by Gage »

Mountains should not be taken literally people (can you see a government, millions of people, all gathered around a mountain top. No) People will come to Zion (I assume in Missouri) and ask for the Saints to teach them their ways. The Kingdom (government) will be ran with such efficiency and organization that people will hear about it and come and want to be a part of it and learn from it. Top of the mountains signifies Mighty and powerful not literally on the top of a mountain.