The Lowdown on a Real E.M.P. Attack on the U.S.

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
kirtland r.m.
Level 34 Illuminated

The Lowdown on a Real E.M.P. Attack on the U.S.

Post by kirtland r.m. »

We have a lot of interest the last few days on the forum about a possible E.M.P. attack on the U.S., here are some facts about what an attack would look like.http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-a-mil ... attack-508
http://www.wnd.com/2016/02/expert-north ... ck-on-u-s/
http://www.newsmax.com/PeterPry/emp-nor ... id/728126/

EMP warnings are everywhere. North Korea and China are two prime suspects. Do you know what the main threats of an EMP attack consist of. That information is right here at your finger tips.
Water Borne Diseases

The greatest threat to human survival, in the aftermath of an EMP attack, is the public’s availability to obtain clean drinking water. This access would be greatly imperiled. In 2010, when Haiti was hit by a major earthquake which killed over 200,000 people, the misery did not stop with the survivors. Six weeks following the earthquake, Haiti announced its first cholera outbreak in over a century. The cholera outbreak went on to claim 8000 more lives. The disease thrives in places where there is insufficient water treatment, poor sanitation and inadequate hygiene. This is what precisely would happen in most areas following an EMP attack. Keeping drinking water clean and separate from human sewage and other contaminates would prove to be humanity’s biggest challenge. Cholera would also prove to be the biggest threat to long term survival. It is likely that in the 24 months following the event, that most people would succumb to cholera and other water-borne diseases. Cholera is a horrible disease which grants its victims a very painful and agonizing death. In the 20th century, human lifespan in United States increased by 35 years. Thirty of those 35 years was due to improvements in sanitation. Following an EMP attack, effective sanitation would all but disappear. The Common Sense Show
Last edited by kirtland r.m. on May 12th, 2016, 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

garbec
captain of 50

Re: The Lowdown on a real E.M.P. Attack on the U.S.

Post by garbec »

If you want to experience an EMP, read this incredible book

EmmaLee
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by EmmaLee »

And this one -

http://www.amazon.com/One-Year-After-Ma ... year+after" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cynikal
captain of 10

Post by cynikal »

I will probably get flamed here but, we should be careful about what is real and what is hype when talking EMP ... there have been many studies that show EMP effects that cannot duplicate the data touted in the "Books / Manuals". The 2008 CIA report of EMP testing is a good starter, it shows a lot of limitations to actual EMP damage. If i can find it i will post it, one take away was vehicles built after 2003 have a 80% of EMP resistance due to the fact that more and more electronic shielding is used for more delicate electronics - and it only gets better with every new model change. I have to laugh at all the book that profess total knowledge on EMP and tactical nukes (neutron bombs and the like), they have a lot of hype we should do research on.

https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/ ... 13-EMP.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

kirtland r.m. wrote:We have a lot of interest the last few days on the forum about a possible E.M.P. attack on the U.S., here are some facts about what an attack would look like.http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-a-mil ... attack-508

EMP warnings are everywhere. North Korea and China are two prime suspects. Do you know what the main threats of an EMP attack consist of. That information is right here at your finger tips.
Water Borne Diseases

The greatest threat to human survival, in the aftermath of an EMP attack, is the public’s availability to obtain clean drinking water. This access would be greatly imperiled. In 2010, when Haiti was hit by a major earthquake which killed over 200,000 people, the misery did not stop with the survivors. Six weeks following the earthquake, Haiti announced its first cholera outbreak in over a century. The cholera outbreak went on to claim 8000 more lives. The disease thrives in places where there is insufficient water treatment, poor sanitation and inadequate hygiene. This is what precisely would happen in most areas following an EMP attack. Keeping drinking water clean and separate from human sewage and other contaminates would prove to be humanity’s biggest challenge. Cholera would also prove to be the biggest threat to long term survival. It is likely that in the 24 months following the event, that most people would succumb to cholera and other water-borne diseases. Cholera is a horrible disease which grants its victims a very painful and agonizing death. In the 20th century, human lifespan in United States increased by 35 years. Thirty of those 35 years was due to improvements in sanitation. Following an EMP attack, effective sanitation would all but disappear. The Common Sense Show
Uh Oh! I need to get an appointment with my doctor; I'm beginning to agree with Kirtland r.m.! Actually, on this I think he is just about, say, 100% right!

Funny thing. I work as a senior manager for a defense contracting firm and as such see any number of Request for Proposal, or RFPs, come across my desk every day. An RFP is one step in the contracting process the Government uses to go out to industry to request information, work, a product, etc. Recently I was surprised to see several RFPs for studies and other research support into the effects of EMPs. Obviously, the Government would be vitally interested in this type of research but the timing of it all is what struck me. After being played down for years (see the CIA report motioned in the post above) suddenly there is a renewed interest in it, or at least a renewed interest in looking more deeply into it again. Interesting timing?

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

http://amerigeddonthemovie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This movie is having a limited release tomorrow, May 13. Too bad it's not showing in my area yet. Fictional, but based on what kirtland r.m. is talking about. At least it looks like a good action movie if nothing else! :)

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

cynikal wrote:I will probably get flamed here but, we should be careful about what is real and what is hype when talking EMP ... there have been many studies that show EMP effects that cannot duplicate the data touted in the "Books / Manuals". The 2008 CIA report of EMP testing is a good starter, it shows a lot of limitations to actual EMP damage. If i can find it i will post it, one take away was vehicles built after 2003 have a 80% of EMP resistance due to the fact that more and more electronic shielding is used for more delicate electronics - and it only gets better with every new model change. I have to laugh at all the book that profess total knowledge on EMP and tactical nukes (neutron bombs and the like), they have a lot of hype we should do research on.

https://oversight.house.gov/wp-content/ ... 13-EMP.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While it is true that most newer cars should survive an high altitude nuclear EMP, the report you linked does clearly state that the nation's electric grid is unprotected and stake holders are unwilling to spend the money necessary to upgrade the grid to survive an EMP. So we can still drive, we just won't have electricity, right?
Oil refineries depend on electricity to run their systems. If the refineries lose power, they stop working.
Gas stations depend on electricity to run their pumps. If the stations lose power, the gasoline won't be pumped out of the underground tanks.
Without the ability to refine crude oil or pump gas, cars will soon become useless.

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

3 Nephi 21:14

14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;

cynikal
captain of 10

Re: The Lowdown on a Real E.M.P. Attack on the U.S.

Post by cynikal »

I am not saying it will be easy, just that there is a lot of hype. Anything with a long "tail" can get torched. it also changes with the condition of the Ionosphere at the time along with the height - the Russians found that out in their tests. another thing is untied generators they have a good survivability rate. I still prep for such things. I have solar and wind for my ham repeater. The propane 30kw generator with 1000 gallon reserve (not for house consumption). I have an extra electronic package for my Jeep in a protected can along with my night vision and thermal sights. if ye are prepare ye shall not fear, or "yes, I can sleep when the wind blows" (an old reference we have forgotten).

nvr
captain of 1,000

Post by nvr »

kenssurplus wrote:
3 Nephi 21:14

14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;
I've thought the same thing about this scripture.
One of the sources people often refer to about the limited effect of EMP on vehicles was a study from a few years back: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473 ... on-7MB.pdf . The way they tested the effects did not clearly show the potential damage of a full-strength EMP on vehicles. In the first place, they used cars from their own motorpool, and so had an interest in not permanently disabling them. As a result, when they tested, they started with small EMP pulses and only gradually increased the intensity until they noticed an initial effect on the vehicles.
When the vehicles started showing problems they stopped the testing and noted the Kilovoltage value and effect on the car, such as the motor died but would restart after cycling the key etc.
The researchers even describe this in the report :
The field strengths of such weapons may
be much higher than those used by the Commission for testing threshold failure levels of
electrical system components and subsystems.

Since they did not continue to increase the simulated EMP pulse strength after they noted the first anomalies, they weren't able to discover the extent of damage of a full power EMP. In summary, this wasn't a well set-up test as they had to return these vehicles and would be accountable to cover the costs to replace computers if any were destroyed.

I think if there's ever a full on EMP event from a nuclear device, the E1 component (fast rise) may leave more permanent damage on vehicle / integrated electronics than is generally expected. Like totally frying the engine management computers and not just deleting the radio presets.

With that, there is always mechanical injection diesels, or junkyard cars with carburetors. For fuel, you've got vegetable oil or for gas cars, makeshift wood gas generators like they used in Europe in WW2 : Image

LDS Physician
captain of 1,000

Post by LDS Physician »

brianj wrote: May 12th, 2016, 1:23 pm
cynikal wrote:I will probably get flamed here but, we should be careful about what is real and what is hype when talking EMP ... there have been many studies that show EMP effects that cannot duplicate the data touted in the "Books / Manuals". The 2008 CIA report of EMP testing is a good starter, it shows a lot of limitations to actual EMP damage. If i can find it i will post it, one take away was vehicles built after 2003 have a 80% of EMP resistance due to the fact that more and more electronic shielding is used for more delicate electronics - and it only gets better with every new model change. I have to laugh at all the book that profess total knowledge on EMP and tactical nukes (neutron bombs and the like), they have a lot of hype we should do research on.

While it is true that most newer cars should survive an high altitude nuclear EMP, the report you linked does clearly state that the nation's electric grid is unprotected and stake holders are unwilling to spend the money necessary to upgrade the grid to survive an EMP. So we can still drive, we just won't have electricity, right?
Oil refineries depend on electricity to run their systems. If the refineries lose power, they stop working.
Gas stations depend on electricity to run their pumps. If the stations lose power, the gasoline won't be pumped out of the underground tanks.
Without the ability to refine crude oil or pump gas, cars will soon become useless.
Water refining depends on electricity as well. It really could be messy if power is out for extended amounts of time.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Why resurrect a thread that had been dormant for 17 years?

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

brianj wrote: October 6th, 2017, 9:51 pm Why resurrect a thread that had been dormant for 17 years?
I think you mean months. :P

I just discovered the video that shows EMP's come in many sizes.

The van size, as the video shows, is big enough to knock out several city blocks. :twisted:

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

Years, months, what's the difference?

Yes, I meant months. I don't know why i typed years.

DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Post by DEEPER storm »

kirtland r.m. wrote: May 11th, 2016, 6:15 pm We have a lot of interest the last few days on the forum about a possible E.M.P. attack on the U.S., here are some facts about what an attack would look like.http://www.vice.com/read/we-asked-a-mil ... attack-508

Water Borne Diseases

Emergency Warning To President Trump On Potential Trap In North Korea: Shoot Down EMP Satellites

IF TRUMP PLANS ON STRIKING NORTH KOREA , HE MUST TAKE OUT ANY AND ALL SATELLITES OF NORTH KOREA ( this will also blind their ability for counterintelligence ) . I am sure we have laser technology to destroy their satellites . Some years against , maybe about ten years or so ago , China were testing their own laser weapon technology and from the ground , they totally destroyed one of their own obsolete satellites , bringing it back to earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFovufo7wxs

While the news media and U.S. intelligence community continues to focus on North Korea’s missile capabilities, one expert warned on Sunday that we are ignoring two North Korean satellites currently orbiting the U.S. that could be used to carry out a devastating electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack.
Such a “surprise” attack could paralyze the U.S. electrical grid and critical civilian infrastructure, resulting in the death of large numbers of Americans.

DEEPER storm
captain of 100

Post by DEEPER storm »

The Electrical Grid in America is Fragile and when it goes there will be widespread chaos....