Who would accept an invitation to gather, (callout) from the Prophet? Poll Version

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.

Would you accept an invitation to gather, (callout) from the Prophet?

Yes
60%
No
14%
Maybe
No votes
Not sure
No votes
I'd have to pray about it
26%

Total votes: 50
A Random Phrase
Follower of Christ
Location: Staring at my computer, not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Who would accept an invitation to gather, (callout) from the Prophet? Poll Version

Post by A Random Phrase »

This thread had an interesting question (for those who don't know, the words "this thread" is a link to the thread), but no poll. I like polls because I can see at a glance where everyone stands.

will
captain of 1,000

Re: Who would accept an invitation to gather, (callout) from the Prophet? Poll Version

Post by will »

Again maybe you should ask the question who is prepared to be called out. You cannot expect those who have prepared to Give up everything to those who have not done as they were commanded.
Sure many would go, but they are not willing to prepare for such an event. Like asking a non tithe payer to live the law of consecration. I have asked this same question to well off families who have no food storage at all.
I recently helped a family move into a beautiful home with custom doors, marble countertops and real oak flooring. I talked to them about food storage and they said they had to much debt.

So that same family living large and beyond their means, will expect you to give and share even though they have been told to prepare for a day of want.
I don't make much, but I am prepared. My family is large. I still see many living beyond their means..
Sorry, I do not believe the majority of people will be able to go. Due to not being prepared to do so. Less than 10% in my ward are prepared for this.
Parable of the ten v comes to mind.

mirkwood
captain of 1,000

Re: Who would accept an invitation to gather, (callout) from the Prophet? Poll Version

Post by mirkwood »

I voted yes, but I also don't believe in the Mormon Rapture.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

will wrote:Again maybe you should ask the question who is prepared to be called out. You cannot expect those who have prepared to Give up everything to those who have not done as they were commanded.
Sure many would go, but they are not willing to prepare for such an event. Like asking a non tithe payer to live the law of consecration. I have asked this same question to well off families who have no food storage at all.
I recently helped a family move into a beautiful home with custom doors, marble countertops and real oak flooring. I talked to them about food storage and they said they had to much debt.

So that same family living large and beyond their means, will expect you to give and share even though they have been told to prepare for a day of want.
I don't make much, but I am prepared. My family is large. I still see many living beyond their means..
Sorry, I do not believe the majority of people will be able to go. Due to not being prepared to do so. Less than 10% in my ward are prepared for this.
How prepared are you? I don't think you understand the law of consecration. Nothing you have would belong to you. You would go to a Zion like community and immediately have your stuff taken from you. It would be redistributed amongst everyone else. You would be a beggar just as much as the family that did not prepare. Nothing in this world belongs to us it all belongs to God. Are we not all beggars? Do we not all owe everything to our God? What your post tells me is you are selfish just like the rest of us.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

Those who have their food storage aren't necessarily the ones who are prepared to go. What if the Lord asks you to go but leave everything behind except your family? Would you be prepared to go then?

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

setyourselffree wrote:
will wrote:Again maybe you should ask the question who is prepared to be called out. You cannot expect those who have prepared to Give up everything to those who have not done as they were commanded.

How prepared are you? I don't think you understand the law of consecration. Nothing you have would belong to you. You would go to a Zion like community and immediately have your stuff taken from you. It would be redistributed amongst everyone else. You would be a beggar just as much as the family that did not prepare. Nothing in this world belongs to us it all belongs to God. Are we not all beggars? Do we not all owe everything to our God? What your post tells me is you are selfish just like the rest of us.
No I do not mind sharing, I do not mind giving up all I have to live that law, Beggars in need I am ok with, those that have means to prepare and do so and don't are the same as a foolish virgin. I've heard many times the words when things get tough I know where I am going. Selfish? If you fall into the category of being unprepared when you knew better, And expect me to feed you and not provide for my children because you were slothful in obeying a commandment. That is selfish.
Last edited by will on February 1st, 2016, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

will wrote:
setyourselffree wrote:

No I do not mind sharing, I do not mind giving up all I have to live that law, Beggars in need I am ok with, those that have means to prepare and do so and don't are the same as a foolish virgin. I've heard many times the words when things get tough I know where I am going. Selfish? If you fall into the category of being unprepared when you knew better, And expect me to feed you and not provide for my children because you were slothful in obeying a commandment. That is selfish.
This attitude lacks an understanding of what the gospel is all about. We all fall short. The people who struggle to live within their means simply have different shortcomings than those who don't struggle that way. Jesus accepts us all, no matter what our struggles. If we don't also accept all and do what we can to help them, we don't accept Christ. And therefore, he will not be able to help us.

There is more to preparing than food storage. Food storage can show how obedient we are. But the ultimate preparation is learning to trust Jesus. He can provide manna in the wilderness. Or even quails if we are weak and foolish. Why wouldn't he be interested in saving those who are foolish enough to live beyond their means?

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

I'll keep it simple, whatever the Lord ask I will gladly do. To include being prepared temporarily and spiritualIty. point given.
When was the last time the Lord blessed someone for not obeying a commandment? He doesn't.

Ezra Taft Benson said that a year's supply of food would be just as important to us as the ark was in the days of Noah.
What happened to those who didn't get on the ark?

If someone is able to prepare and doesn't, then that's between them and the Lord. People are missing the point. Get prepared. Do not expect someone else to feed you.

Many do so, and by doing so they put others lives at risk.

Whatever happens or doesn't happen will not be left up to me or you. Or anyone else who has an opinion on a blog.
The Lord has told us what we need to do.
Just do it.
Kiss
( keep it simple stupid.)

Deb1961
captain of 10

Post by Deb1961 »

I think some of us have already gathered to Places of Refuge as Hector states in his book. I prayed about this for a long time and I feel that the Lord wants me where I am and that I should listen to my stake leaders. If we have to leave for a short time due to war, plague, earthquakes, then I will go. I prefer my life over my property. In the meantime, I will build food storage, water, clothing, and try to build the Zion in my area.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

will wrote:
setyourselffree wrote:

I am convinced that the parable of the foolish virgins is spiritual. When the bridegroom comes it will be a spiritual preparation he is looking for not physical. The Lord has commanded us to share our resources and give of them often, everything we have physically is not ours anyway. It's selfish to think that our stuff is mine, mine, mine. We are commanded to give to the poor, this also means those who have not prepared. The lord has also asked us to share spiritually but we don't have to give our spirituality away when we share that. Our resources we do. For that reason alone I believe the parable of the ten virgins is a spiritual preparation. In the end food is food it will not save our eternal soul. I think people on here are getting to wrapped up with storing resources, (which is important) but spiritual preparation is much, much, much more important.

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

setyourselffree wrote:
will wrote:
setyourselffree wrote:

I am convinced that the parable of the foolish virgins is spiritual. When the bridegroom comes it will be a spiritual preparation he is looking for not physical. The Lord has commanded us to share our resources and give of them often, everything we have physically is not ours anyway. It's selfish to think that our stuff is mine, mine, mine. We are commanded to give to the poor, this also means those who have not prepared. The lord has also asked us to share spiritually but we don't have to give our spirituality away when we share that. Our resources we do. For that reason alone I believe the parable of the ten virgins is a spiritual preparation. In the end food is food it will not save our eternal soul. I think people on here are getting to wrapped up with storing resources, (which is important) but spiritual preparation is much, much, much more important.
I agree. The oil in the parable represents a spiritual substance that cannot be shared, even though those who possess it desire to share it. Those who are spiritual prepared would love to allow others to partake of the inner peace that allows them to function without fear but it is impossible.

Sarah
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Sarah »

setyourselffree wrote:

I would think that the Law of Consecration will not be lived until Zion is redeemed. While sharing food and requests for substance to be distributed would be expected in such an environment, I don't see why we should assume we would live the Law of Consecration or United Order just because destruction is upon us. We don't live it now, so the question is, why would we automatically start living it and why would that type of environment be assumed to be Zion-like? We will have to work for it.
Messenger and Advocate (Nov 1836) Sidney Rigdon "Latter Day Glory," p.403

Such is the faith of the Latter Day Saints, and for this their belief, earth and hell have combined for their overthrow: the devil and his emisaries on earth, the priests of all denominations, have used their utmost exertions, but their exertions have been vain for the truth prevails exceedingly, far beyond the expectations of any of the saints.

Another item of their faith is, that before the coming of Christ, and the general destruction of the wicked, God will gather his saints together from every nation, tongue, language and kindred, under the whole heaven, unto places before appointed, and will try his saints in those places, and try them until there is not one left but those who are pure and holy in his sight: that among those who are left after the bad are gathered out, he will shew forth his glory: [See Isa. 11; 2 Ne. 21] they shall be the ones, of whom it is said, they shall know the Lord from the least to the greatest of them; among them the knowledge of God shall cover the earth, as the waters cover the sea; and all the rest of the world will without exception be cut off; and when this is done, and all the rest of the world cut off but the saints which are gathered, then the earth will be of one heart, and one mind: then men will beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks, and learn war no more: then shall the cow and the bear feed, and their young ones lie down together: then shall the lion eat straw like the ox: then shall the time come when they shall neither hurt nor destroy in all the Lord's holy mountain, which holy mountain is the place where the saints will be gathered.

waverider
captain of 50

Post by waverider »

will wrote: If you fall into the category of being unprepared when you knew better, And expect me to feed you and not provide for my children because you were slothful in obeying a commandment. That is selfish.

How are we supposed to judge if those that are unprepared truly knew better? I know it would be hard for my family to eat our food storage knowing the family next to me is hungry, regardless of if they chose to prepare or not. It reminds me of Elijah and widow of Zarephath. The Lord always returns a disproportionate amount of what we freely give.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Sarah wrote:
setyourselffree wrote:

I would think that the Law of Consecration will not be lived until Zion is redeemed. While sharing food and requests for substance to be distributed would be expected in such an environment, I don't see why we should assume we would live the Law of Consecration or United Order just because destruction is upon us. We don't live it now, so the question is, why would we automatically start living it and why would that type of environment be assumed to be Zion-like? We will have to work for it.
Messenger and Advocate (Nov 1836) Sidney Rigdon "Latter Day Glory," p.403

Such is the faith of the Latter Day Saints, and for this their belief, earth and hell have combined for their overthrow: the devil and his emisaries on earth, the priests of all denominations, have used their utmost exertions, but their exertions have been vain for the truth prevails exceedingly, far beyond the expectations of any of the saints.

Another item of their faith is, that before the coming of Christ, and the general destruction of the wicked, God will gather his saints together from every nation, tongue, language and kindred, under the whole heaven, unto places before appointed, and will try his saints in those places, and try them until there is not one left but those who are pure and holy in his sight: that among those who are left after the bad are gathered out, he will shew forth his glory: [See Isa. 11; 2 Ne. 21] they shall be the ones, of whom it is said, they shall know the Lord from the least to the greatest of them; among them the knowledge of God shall cover the earth, as the waters cover the sea; and all the rest of the world will without exception be cut off; and when this is done, and all the rest of the world cut off but the saints which are gathered, then the earth will be of one heart, and one mind: then men will beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks, and learn war no more: then shall the cow and the bear feed, and their young ones lie down together: then shall the lion eat straw like the ox: then shall the time come when they shall neither hurt nor destroy in all the Lord's holy mountain, which holy mountain is the place where the saints will be gathered.
That is a very good point, and I think I have the answer. If we were to assemble in tent cities or "whatever" the rations would be distributed evenly, so that one person or family is not consuming more than another family. We would need supplies to last in an environment like that. The Lord has an order, and this would be a very orderly environment. It wouldn't be a, "free for all" since supplies would be limited. In our day to day lives supplies aren't as limited. So portion control would be very important. And some families, or single's or widows would need better living conditions. So if you were to show up in an R.V and your family is healthy it would probably be taken from you and used for something more important. Some of these NDE experiences state that our supplies would be loaded onto a truck and taken. Who's to say you would even see that truck again. What if it went to a different camp site? The fact is this would be very orderly so law of consecration would have to be lived.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

Parable of the ten virgins is both temporal and spiritual. A callout would fulfill both. Sharing is a good thing however, what if we can't? By removing saints who are prepared physically and spiritualIty.I.E. A callout. That would be a separation, thus taking the opportunity to share away. In turn cleansing the church. Not saying that this is the case. But the Lord has said that he will start with his own house. Just a thought. Then the law of consecration comes.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

We aren't being asked by the Brethren to be prepared for a "callout". We are asked to live within our means, save for a rainy day, food storage, etc.

People are making the illogical leap that these things equal a callout.

Furthermore, the parable of the ten virgins means so much more than just physical preparation. It's very much on a spiritual level too. My post on the other thread posed the question of whether or not people are listening to the Brethren right now. We have received instruction even in our First Presidency Messages.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

Like I said it's both, one cannot exist without the other. If so many are so spiritualIty prepared why don't they follow the commandment to prepare for a day of want and need? Callout I believe will happen. So what? I really am more focused on doing what I have been asked. The whole sharing my food storage thing. When have we been asked to do so? I haven't.

I've been asked to pay my tithing and fast offering. What will or won't happen is yet to be determined. Like I said if so many are spiritualIty prepared why do they ignore the counsel to prepare for a day of want and need?

What I believe will happen has nothing to do with the fact that many Lds have ignored this. What the Lord will or won't do is not going to be left up to you or me for that matter.

will
captain of 1,000

Post by will »

Illogical? How bad are things going to get? I guess we're all going to sit in our home and watch the calamities happen around us. Or better yet were all going to gather at the stake center and share our resources. While we wait for the troubles to pass. Whatever. Again who cares? So many ridicule the belief on a callout, yet no other scenario is given

Rose Garden
Don't ask . . .

Post by Rose Garden »

will wrote:Like I said it's both, one cannot exist without the other. If so many are so spiritualIty prepared why don't they follow the commandment to prepare for a day of want and need? Callout I believe will happen. So what? I really am more focused on doing what I have been asked. The whole sharing my food storage thing. When have we been asked to do so? I haven't.

I've been asked to pay my tithing and fast offering. What will or won't happen is yet to be determined. Like I said if so many are spiritualIty prepared why do they ignore the counsel to prepare for a day of want and need?

What I believe will happen has nothing to do with the fact that many Lds have ignored this. What the Lord will or won't do is not going to be left up to you or me for that matter.
The scriptures tell you over and over to care for the needy. You have been asked to share, if you have means to share. Whether that includes your food storage or not is between you and the Lord. But if you cannot say in your heart that you would give if you could, your spiritual preparation is lacking.

thisisspartaaa
captain of 100

Post by thisisspartaaa »

will wrote:Illogical? How bad are things going to get? I guess we're all going to sit in our home and watch the calamities happen around us. Or better yet were all going to gather at the stake center and share our resources. While we wait for the troubles to pass. Whatever. Again who cares? So many ridicule the belief on a callout, yet no other scenario is given
There is another scenario given. It's to have our tents pitched toward the Brethren.

The people that will be strengthened and carried by the Lord are those who try. We are all weak. So many individuals struggle with their own faults and weaknesses. We light our lamps a little bit at a time. We must realize that it is our Savior that gives us mercy. Our reliance on Him is what makes us strong.

Those who try their best despite their faults and weaknesses will not be thrown aside by a loving Savior. The parable of the 10 virgins states that the 5 virgins who did not prepare did so because they slumbered and slept. This implies no action.

Take an inventory of all your responsibilities. Are you 100% on each of those?

1. How is your home/visiting teaching?
2. Tithing?
3. Fast offerings?
4. Temple attendance?
5. Sacrament participation?
6. Fulfillment of all calling duties?
7. FHE every Monday?
8. Full control of bodily appetites?
9. Deeds of kindness?
10. Following every spiritual prompting?

It is absolutely ludicrous to think that somehow only the "prepared" will be saved in this supposed callout. If you really want to get down to it, the Lord should remove us all because we will never be 100% in everything but he doesn't. Why? He loves us and can have mercy on us. That is why the Atonement is there for us.

Perhaps we should be less focused on a callout and more focused on fulfilling our duties and doing the best we can. And when we fall short in fulfilling our duties (which we ALL will fall short), we can turn to the Lord. If we do that and the Prophet decides we need to "callout," then we will be ready to go.
Last edited by thisisspartaaa on February 3rd, 2016, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vertigo
captain of 10

Post by vertigo »

Will, I get your frustration I really do. And to be honest your feelings are exactly what I have been afraid of.
I agree that many of us active lds have procrastinated and been in denial over getting our houses in order. Last year I was able to get a part time job and with the extra income set a goal to finally get some food storage. My goal was by the end of the year to have 3 months worth and our 72 hour kits completed. And instead of saving money for a down to buy our first house, I would rather it go to savings and food. Now I don't consider myself poor or needy, but even with a strict budget and planning we still live paycheck to paycheck. However, we could have started years ago and slowly built up a years supply or more by now. I know this. And like you I believe a "callout" is going to happen in the near future and I fear my preparing is too little too late.

I was venting to my mom and telling her my fears of not being able to feed my family and that I wanted for once to be able to share with others and not have to have them share with me. I was also contemplating purchasing my food storage on credit cards so that we wouldn't have to do so.
My wise mother told me that the Lord would not want us to go into debt without the intention of paying it off and that if we did so He would not be able to bless us. She also reminded me of the atonement. She asked me if when we repent does the Lord ever say "sorry too little too late, can't help you." She said, "Yes you should have been following the prophets counsel years ago, but you are repenting of that and trying now, do the best you can and the Lord will take care of the rest. That is what the atonement is for."
will wrote: I really am more focused on doing what I have been asked. The whole sharing my food storage thing. When have we been asked to do so? I haven't.
This comment reminds me of a relative of mine. She was recently divorced and dating again but had began sleeping with her boyfriend. She had also been seeing her bishop regularly this whole time and had confessed this to him. However she continued to go to the temple with others when invited. When the bishop found out he asked her why she thought she could go to the temple. She told him "Well, you never told me not to."

Please do not take this as an attack and I mean no offense. The fact that you have been obeying the prophets counsel and providing for your family and paying your tithes and offerings proves you are trying to be faithful to the Lords commandments. And I commend you for it. I just wanted to give you a different perspective and remind you that the Lord has asked us among other things to have charity and to forgive others. We shouldn't wait to be told when to be charitable or when to forgive, and I don't believe there is limit placed on how much charity we should have, since that would put a limit on our progression. Also, what if when you arrive at the camps the prophet asks us to share our food? Would your feelings be able to change so quickly?

I hate the situation I am in and trying to repent of my procrastination, I hope others will be able to forgive me of that if or when I have to ask them for help. Believe me, I would much rather be on your end! I have been blessed so much through the charity of others that I am praying that it will be my turn to be the giver and not the receiver. I hope also that no matter how much I have, I will be willing to give to anyone in need.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

setyourselffree wrote:I am convinced that the parable of the foolish virgins is spiritual. When the bridegroom comes it will be a spiritual preparation he is looking for not physical. The Lord has commanded us to share our resources and give of them often, everything we have physically is not ours anyway. It's selfish to think that our stuff is mine, mine, mine. We are commanded to give to the poor, this also means those who have not prepared. The lord has also asked us to share spiritually but we don't have to give our spirituality away when we share that. Our resources we do. For that reason alone I believe the parable of the ten virgins is a spiritual preparation. In the end food is food it will not save our eternal soul. I think people on here are getting to wrapped up with storing resources, (which is important) but spiritual preparation is much, much, much more important.

I am disturbed to say this, but I agree with you. Spiritual preparation is most important.

But ponder this: Can somebody really be spiritually prepared yet be temporally unprepared? If that individual is spiritually prepared, they will accept the words of James: "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)
Won't you have to keep the law, or obey the commandments, to really be spiritually prepared? If you are spiritually prepared and the prophet provides counsel, as opposed to commandment, won't you follow that counsel to the best of your ability because you don't need to be commanded in all things?

Older/wiser?
captain of 100

Post by Older/wiser? »

Vertigo, I was so touched by your desire and efforts to prepare and do the right thing..
It is never to little to late. Remember the servant hired at the end of the watch received
The same as the one who worked all day..don't use your credit cards your mothers advise
Is wise counsel.. I was warned in the early 90's and have been preparing this long day..
There are those of us out there who have learned and prepared for those like you..I have told the Lord I will care for those "whom he brings to my door" that is the spiritual preparation that is needed for you and others who are honest in heart to be brought to
Our doors...tent cities I'm not so sure about...do I have a large new wall tent with stove
Yes I do, I was preparing in case of an earthquake in the 90s before I ever heard of tent cities,, so worry not prepare every needful thing to the best of your abilities.. I and others
Will keep our covenants with the Lord and care for those "whom he brings to our doors"
If you are spiritually prepared , well friend we might meet.. He will bring you..by the way
Have you ever been to Bear Lake ..there is some lovely country up there

nzgirl
captain of 10

Post by nzgirl »

In my ward there are a great many members who have been caught up in this Unicity health craze, some have even spent thousands on investment and yet have no food storage, I know that when it comes time to hand over everything to the church to feed the ignorant, lazy members who have no problem leeching off everyone else, I will not hesitate to express my thoughts to them, there are many on this forum who are a lot better than me, I obviously need to work on being more charitable, but speaking of the 10 virgins parable Mathew 25 verse 9 is looking like it might be the perfect answer i might give to any person who foolishly spent their money on these get rich quick schemes rather than investing in food storage.

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

brianj wrote:
setyourselffree wrote:I am convinced that the parable of the foolish virgins is spiritual. When the bridegroom comes it will be a spiritual preparation he is looking for not physical. The Lord has commanded us to share our resources and give of them often, everything we have physically is not ours anyway. It's selfish to think that our stuff is mine, mine, mine. We are commanded to give to the poor, this also means those who have not prepared. The lord has also asked us to share spiritually but we don't have to give our spirituality away when we share that. Our resources we do. For that reason alone I believe the parable of the ten virgins is a spiritual preparation. In the end food is food it will not save our eternal soul. I think people on here are getting to wrapped up with storing resources, (which is important) but spiritual preparation is much, much, much more important.

I am disturbed to say this, but I agree with you. Spiritual preparation is most important.

But ponder this: Can somebody really be spiritually prepared yet be temporally unprepared? If that individual is spiritually prepared, they will accept the words of James: "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all." (James 2:10)
Won't you have to keep the law, or obey the commandments, to really be spiritually prepared? If you are spiritually prepared and the prophet provides counsel, as opposed to commandment, won't you follow that counsel to the best of your ability because you don't need to be commanded in all things?
Nobody is perfect. We are all at different stages in our goal to become perfected. I believe someone can be spiritually prepared but not physically, yes.