Elder Nelson about millenials

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
Sir
captain of 10

Elder Nelson about millenials

Post by Sir »

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3391057-155/ ... e-from-god" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Did anyone else catch that part about civilization being in the "eleventh hour", and the last time missionaries would be sent out to gather the elect? Of course the time frame could be zoomed out...

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Re: Elder Nelson about millenials

Post by Robin Hood »

I've never understood the phrase the "eleventh hour".
It's the twelveth hour that is the last one.

Melissa
captain of 1,000

Post by Melissa »

Robin Hood wrote:I've never understood the phrase the "eleventh hour".
Maybe the 11th hour before the clock strikes midnight...bringing in a new day? As soon as it hits the 12th, it's a new day. That's my only reasoning.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Melissa wrote:
Maybe the 11th hour before the clock strikes midnight...bringing in a new day? As soon as it hits the 12th, it's a new day. That's my only reasoning.
It doesn't work that way at all. The eleventh hour is the hour just before 11 o'clock, just as a child is in his first year until his first birthday and I am now in my 56th year having just turned 55 at Christmas.

abelchirino
captain of 100

Post by abelchirino »

Robin Hood wrote:
Melissa wrote:
It doesn't work that way at all. The eleventh hour is the hour just before 11 o'clock, just as a child is in his first year until his first birthday and I am now in my 56th year having just turned 55 at Christmas.
That's true. Is it possible that the 12th hour is the millennium and we are in the 11th hour?

iWriteStuff
blithering blabbermouth

Post by iWriteStuff »

Clock riddles aside, I thought this quote was a particularly important one:
" ... You may not always understand every declaration of a living prophet. But when you know a prophet is a prophet, you can approach the Lord in humility and faith and ask for your own witness about whatever his prophet has proclaimed."
I've found that to be my experience as well. I frequently ask for my own witness about whatever is being said by a Prophet of the Lord and I have never yet been disappointed by an answer. Recently this has included the gay marriage policy change and the calling of new apostles.

Sandinista
captain of 100

Post by Sandinista »

However, if you use a 24 hour clock the 11th hour is 10AM to 11AM, or maybe 11AM to noon. 11PM to midnight would be the 23rd hour, or maybe the 24th hour! :)

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

Sandinista wrote:However, if you use a 24 hour clock the 11th hour is 10AM to 11AM, or maybe 11AM to noon. 11PM to midnight would be the 23rd hour, or maybe the 24th hour! :)
Quite right Sandinista.
It's the 24th hour.

Todd
captain of 100

Post by Todd »

:) Just watched the fireside. I thought Elder Nelson's message was fantastic and very appropriate for not only the Millenials but for the rest of us who view life as a cup half full.

The counsel to seek after the power of heaven and to study the words of the prophet with the intent to obey is critical in our time. I invite anyone who hasn't heard his talk to go to LDS.ORG and listen to it with an open heart and a contrite spirit. I promise you will be uplifted.

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

abelchirino wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Melissa wrote:
That's true. Is it possible that the 12th hour is the millennium and we are in the 11th hour?
That's exactly what it is. The 12th hour is the 1000 year millennium.

Robin Hood
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robin Hood »

So you're saying the temporal existence of the earth is 12,000 rather than 7,000 years?
Or do I misunderstand?

shadow
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by shadow »

Robin Hood wrote:So you're saying the temporal existence of the earth is 12,000 rather than 7,000 years?
Or do I misunderstand?
I probably didn't explain it well.
Merriam-Webster
eleventh hour
noun
Simple Definition of eleventh hour

: the latest possible time

It's common terminology. Even Cinderella only had til midnight.

The millennium is considered a new day. 12:00.
The parable of the laborers found in Matthew mentions the 11th hour as being late.

cynikal
captain of 10

Post by cynikal »

Are you crazy??? 11th hour, 11:01, 11:02 - 11:58, 11:59 12:00 BOOM. why are you running from the talk Nelson gave to blur the lines with stupidness (is that a word?).

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

He doesn't seem crazy at all to me. He just jumped onto a tangent of discussing an idiom that makes no sense to him. There are plenty of idioms that don't make sense to me, either. I just don't usually discuss that openly.

brianj
captain of 1,000

Post by brianj »

As of now the church hasn't released a transcript of Elder Nelson's address, and I don't have time to listen to the whole thing right now.

Can somebody provide a little more detail about what he said regarding the eleventh hour and so forth, or provide a time reference within the video?

setyourselffree
captain of 1,000

Post by setyourselffree »

shadow wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:So you're saying the temporal existence of the earth is 12,000 rather than 7,000 years?
Or do I misunderstand?
I probably didn't explain it well.
Merriam-Webster
eleventh hour
noun
Simple Definition of eleventh hour

: the latest possible time

It's common terminology. Even Cinderella only had til midnight.

The millennium is considered a new day. 12:00.
The parable of the laborers found in Matthew mentions the 11th hour as being late.
" D&C 33:3. What Is the “Eleventh Hour”?

The phrase “the eleventh hour” seems to refer to the parable of the ten virgins (see Matthew 25:1–13). The bridegroom came at midnight, catching unaware half of those waiting. Thus, to say that it is the eleventh hour is to imply that the time of the coming of the Bridegroom is drawing near.

President Joseph Fielding Smith showed how the phrase is also related to another parable given by the Master: “The time in which we live is compared to the eleventh hour, and so it is in the Lord’s reckoning, for we are in the closing scenes of the present world. Elder Orson F. Whitney referred to our dispensation as the ‘Saturday night’ of time. And, according to the parable of the men employed in the vineyard [Matthew 20:1–16], we who labor in this hour will be rewarded if we are faithful, with equal compensation with those who labored in the previous hours, or dispensations, in the history of mankind.” (Church History and Modern Revelation, 1:153.) This is from the D&C manual.

Sunain
captain of 1,000

Post by Sunain »

The 11th hour refers to the last hour in a day, 11pm to midnight. The idiom eleventh hour means that were at a point in time which is nearly too late. Elder Nelson pointed out in his talk that we are now in the latter part of the latter-days, hence the hour is really late now according to him.

For those that aren't aware of what 11th hour refers to:
Elder Bruce R. McConkie explained Jesus’s response, found in John 11:9–10: “Certainly Jesus would go to Judea in spite of the threats of death that faced him there. ‘Though it be the eleventh hour of my life, yet there are twelve hours in the day, and during that designated period, I shall do the work appointed me without stumbling or faltering. This is the time given me to do my work. I cannot wait for the night when perchance the opposition will die down. He that shirks his responsibilities and puts off his labors until the night shall stumble in the darkness and fail in his work’” (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 1:531).
https://www.lds.org/manual/new-testamen ... 3?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
D&C 33:3. What Is the “Eleventh Hour”?
The phrase “the eleventh hour” seems to refer to the parable of the ten virgins (see Matthew 25:1–13). The bridegroom came at midnight, catching unaware half of those waiting. Thus, to say that it is the eleventh hour is to imply that the time of the coming of the Bridegroom is drawing near.

President Joseph Fielding Smith showed how the phrase is also related to another parable given by the Master: “The time in which we live is compared to the eleventh hour, and so it is in the Lord’s reckoning, for we are in the closing scenes of the present world. Elder Orson F. Whitney referred to our dispensation as the ‘Saturday night’ of time. And, according to the parable of the men employed in the vineyard [Matthew 20:1–16], we who labor in this hour will be rewarded if we are faithful, with equal compensation with those who labored in the previous hours, or dispensations, in the history of mankind.” (Church History and Modern Revelation, 1:153.)
D&C 33:3. “The Last Time”

“By the ‘last time’ the Lord meant the Dispensation of the Fulness of Times” (Joseph Fielding Smith, in Conference Report, Apr. 1946, p. 155; see also D&C 43:28–30; 112:30–32).
https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and ... l?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matthew 20:1–16. The Parable of the Laborers
A common practice in Jesus’s day was for landowners to go to a central gathering place and hire temporary laborers. In this parable the householder went into the marketplace at about 6:00 a.m. and hired laborers to work for a “penny” (or denarius, which was a typical day’s wages). He returned to the marketplace at 9:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m., and 5:00 p.m. (the eleventh hour), found other unemployed men who were willing to work, and hired them, promising to pay them “whatsoever is right” (Matthew 20:4, 7).

It would have been unusual to pay first those who had worked the least (see Matthew 20:8). However, this parable is an extension of what Jesus Christ taught in Matthew 19:30: “But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.” Those hired in the eleventh hour might represent those who become converted late in life but thereafter labor diligently in the kingdom. One truth this parable illustrates is that whether people become disciples of Christ in their youth, in their young adulthood, in the later stages of life, or in some instances in the spirit world (see D&C 137:7–8), eternal life is the reward for all people who make and keep sacred covenants with the Lord (see D&C 76:95; 84:38; 88:107).
https://www.lds.org/manual/new-testamen ... 7?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BroJones
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by BroJones »

I would like to see/read the full text of Elder Nelson's talk -- does anyone know if this is available?

Robert Sinclair
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by Robert Sinclair »

Yes, it is available on LDS.org, just go to the search bar and type in millenials and hit the search button and it will take you to it. I hope those families, you helped get homes are getting adjusted to that area, and finding the things they need to get by. Sometimes it can take awhile.♡

juniper
captain of 50

Post by juniper »

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/worldwid ... s?lang=eng" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

Don't read this link if you are not willing to consider an alternative view of Elder Nelson's talk.

http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2016/ ... me-in.html

e-eye2.0
captain of 100

Post by e-eye2.0 »

investigator wrote:Don't read this link if you are not willing to consider an alternative view of Elder Nelson's talk.

Wouldn't it be more plane to say "don't read this link if you don't want to read anti mormon garbage"

(-|

LatterDayLizard
captain of 100

Post by LatterDayLizard »

investigator wrote:Don't read this link if you are not willing to consider an alternative view of Elder Nelson's talk.
In other words, read this link if you think Elder Nelson is a lying blasphemer, if you agree the other 12 are all conniving power huggers who hate gay people and no longer receive revelation and that President Monson is just a senile old man being manipulated by his counselors, and if you are convinced that anyone who felt the spirit and was inspired by Elder Nelson's talk is just the hapless victim of a "frenzied mind".

OR

Take a page from the people of Ammon: ignore the link and kick Korihor to the curb.

durangout
captain of 1,000

Post by durangout »

(yawn)

investigator
captain of 100

Post by investigator »

If we have the truth, it cannot be harmed by investigation. If we have
not the truth, it ought to be harmed. (President J. Reuben Clark)
Convince us of our errors of Doctrine, if we have any, by reason, by
logical arguments, or by the Word of God and we will ever be grateful for the information and you will ever have the pleasing
reflections that you have been instruments in the hands of God of redeeming your fellow beings. (Orson Pratt, “The Seer,” p. 15.)
[t]he man who cannot listen to an argument which opposes his views either has a weak position or is a weak defender of it. No opinion
that cannot stand discussion or criticism is worth holding. And it has been wisely said that the man who knows only half of any question is
worse off than the man who knows nothing of it. He is not only one sided but his partisanship soon turns him into an intolerant and a fanatic. In general it is true that nothing which cannot stand up under discussion or criticism is worth defending. (James E. Talmage Improvement Era, Jan 1920, p. 204)
If a faith will not bear to be investigated; if its preachers and professors are afraid to have it examined, their foundation must be very weak. (President George A. Smith)
I admire men and women who have developed the questioning spirit,
who are unafraid of new ideas and stepping stones to progress. We
should, of course, respect the opinions of others, but we should also
be unafraid to dissent - if we are informed. Thoughts and expressions
compete in the marketplace of thought, and in that competition truth
emerges triumphant. Only error fears freedom of expression. This
free exchange of ideas is not to be deplored as long as men and
women remain humble and teachable. Neither fear of consequence
nor any kind of coercion should ever be used to secure uniformity of
thought in the church. People should express their problems and
opinions and be unafraid to think without fear of ill consequences.
We must preserve freedom of the mind in the church and resist all
efforts to suppress it. (Hugh B. Brown, counselor in First Presidency,
Speech at BYU, March 29, 1958.)
As you accept the responsibility to seek after truth with an open
mind and a humble heart, you will become more tolerant of others,
more open to listen, more prepared to understand, (Dieter F.
Uchtdorf, https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/cesdevotionals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2013/01/what-is-truth)