Effects of a magnetic pole shift

Discuss the last days, Zion, second coming, emergency preparedness, alternative health, etc.
markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Effects of a magnetic pole shift

Post by markharr »

A lot of scientists are saying that the magnetic poles should shift in our lifetime.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -expected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I believe it is also predicted in Isaiah 24:1

Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

In addition to that, several people have had visions about a magnetic pole shift. This one allegedly by George Albert Smith.

"Later I saw that the poles of the earth reverse. Before the pole shift it is very still and quite. Then I saw such horrendous winds that caused boulders the size of houses to fly through the air as the shift takes place."

And this one by Alma Erickson.

"People's bodies are now charged with downward flows of electricity instead of upward flows. The downward flows have a destructive influence upon their bodies, while the upward flows have a good influence. For this reason shall great distress be caused among the people.

I see carrots brought in out of the field freshly dug, yet they are wilted and become soft, having lost their freshness and good flavor, because of the wrong charge of electricity."

What effect do you think that would have? Could it cause boulders to fly through the air as described by GAS, or crops to fail as described by Alma Erickson. Would this cause military aircraft, and drones to be inoperable. Is that why there don't seem to be any air attacks in visions that people have about military invasions? Could this shift also cause the earth to be less protected to electromagnetic radiation from the sun for a time causing electronics to fail?

inho
captain of 1,000

Re: Effects of a magnetic pole shift

Post by inho »

This is a quote from the article you linked to:
Such a flip is not instantaneous, but would take many hundred if not a few thousand years,
and also
Still, there is no evidence that a weakened magnetic field would result in a doomsday for Earth. During past polarity flips there were no mass extinctions or evidence of radiation damage.
In other words, this is nothing to be worried about. What Alma Erickson said, is so unscientific that if one wish to believe that vision, then I would suggest to read it non-literally or something.

markharr
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by markharr »

inho wrote:This is a quote from the article you linked to:
Such a flip is not instantaneous, but would take many hundred if not a few thousand years,
and also
Still, there is no evidence that a weakened magnetic field would result in a doomsday for Earth. During past polarity flips there were no mass extinctions or evidence of radiation damage.
In other words, this is nothing to be worried about. What Alma Erickson said, is so unscientific that if one wish to believe that vision, then I would suggest to read it non-literally or something.
I'm assuming you are LDS based on some of your previous comments. If I am wrong in that assumption please let me know.

Why is it that this is unscientific, but the following events that actually happened and are recorded in scripture are not?

Creation of the earth and all of the known universe.
Flood that covered the entire world
Savior that among other things healed the sick, and blind, fed thousands off of a few loaves of bread, and some fishes, walked on water, turned water into wine, resurrected the dead, and was himself respected.
The brother of Jared who lit his boats that were sealed like a dish with stones that had been touched by god
Hundreds if not thousands of other examples of miraculous events in the scriptures

But flipping the magnetic poles of the earths during the 7 years of tribulation. That's just crazy talk, how could you be so unscientific?

BrotherOfMahonri
captain of 1,000

Post by BrotherOfMahonri »

Wow. Reading the OP just now, I felt this thought come to me, if there were an upward pole, that could lend to us living say, 1000 years, vs. the downwards pole causes a faster rate of decay to mortal flesh, giving us under 100 years or so...

Knowing myself a little, and how the spirit works with me, that's pretty cool thought to me I'll ponder more, just like God doesn't magically throw down fire from heaven to destroy Egypt, but knows the cyclical events of our entire galaxy or how Christ knows the molecules he changed into wine or the molecules he walked upon the water, it makes sense to me that the shortened lives of man, from the days of Adam to Noah, could easily be due to pole shifts and energy, and the energy flow up or down and its effects on the body... thanks for sharing.

David13
Level 34 Illuminated

Post by David13 »

I suppose the compass makers would benefit.
GPS, I suppose they would have to provide a free update. Maybe not.
I have a friend who's GPS always shows up side down, that is north downward and south upward. It makes everything hard to read, like street names, but maybe he's just prepared for this.
dc

Teancum
captain of 100

Post by Teancum »

markharr wrote:A lot of scientists are saying that the magnetic poles should shift in our lifetime.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -expected/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Behold, the Lord maketh the earth empty, and maketh it waste, and turneth it upside down, and scattereth abroad the inhabitants thereof.

In addition to that, several people have had visions about a magnetic pole shift. This one allegedly by George Albert Smith.

"Later I saw that the poles of the earth reverse. Before the pole shift it is very still and quite. Then I saw such horrendous winds that caused boulders the size of houses to fly through the air as the shift takes place."

"People's bodies are now charged with downward flows of electricity instead of upward flows. The downward flows have a destructive influence upon their bodies, while the upward flows have a good influence. For this reason shall great distress be caused among the people.

I see carrots brought in out of the field freshly dug, yet they are wilted and become soft, having lost their freshness and good flavor, because of the wrong charge of electricity."

What effect do you think that would have? Could it cause boulders to fly through the air as described by GAS, or crops to fail as described by Alma Erickson. Would this cause military aircraft, and drones to be inoperable. Is that why there don't seem to be any air attacks in visions that people have about military invasions? Could this shift also cause the earth to be less protected to electromagnetic radiation from the sun for a time causing electronics to fail?

Well, If I recall correctly, there was a documentary about the magnetic poles shift on PBS I believe. In it was shown that there were several magnetic pole flips during the time that it took for lava to cool during an eruption. I would venture a guess that they could happen within minutes.

About air attacks in visions not being shown, that is not entirely true. In fact I have heard several that DO show these things. My sources, however, aren't usually on forum front page. Does that make their vision or dream any less viable?

A real physical pole reversal such as the earth flipping upside down (The physical North pole pointing 180 degrees opposite from the north star) not just a magnetic pole flip would cause great troubles. But it is prophesied that the Earth will reel to and fro as a drunken man, so who knows.

davedan
captain of 1,000

Post by davedan »

"And now I bid unto all, farewell. I soon go to rest in the paradise of God, until my spirit and body shall again reunite, and I am brought forth triumphant through the air, to meet you before the pleasing bar of the great Jehovah, the Eternal Judge or both quick and dead, Amen."

Moroni 10:34

Could a pole shift be the scientific basis for the "rapture" and being caught up in the air to meet Christ and the people of the City of Zion? The wicked will seek to find refuge underground. The righteous will know to let themselves be caught up. During the event, there will be great upheaval of the Earth. I wouldn't want to be underground during such an event.

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

markharr wrote:

What effect do you think that would have? Could it cause boulders to fly through the air as described by GAS, (No) or crops to fail as described by Alma Erickson.(No) Would this cause military aircraft, and drones to be inoperable. (No). Is that why there don't seem to be any air attacks in visions that people have about military invasions? Could this shift also cause the earth to be less protected to electromagnetic radiation from the sun for a time causing electronics to fail?

Ungläubige
captain of 50

Post by Ungläubige »

markharr wrote: And this one by Alma Erickson.

Frankly, this part does sound un-scientific. As an engineer, i'd love to know what he's talking about. Does anyone have some links to explain this phenomenon?

inho
captain of 1,000

Post by inho »

markharr wrote: I'm assuming you are LDS based on some of your previous comments. If I am wrong in that assumption please let me know.

Why is it that this is unscientific, but the following events that actually happened and are recorded in scripture are not?
Yes, I am LDS and believe in miraculous events. However, you started your post by referencing an article in Scientific American. In light of that article and in light of scientific theories of pole shift, the quotes from GAS and Alma Erickson don't make sense if they are understood as descriptions of Earth's magnetic pole shift.

Also, as the previous commenter, I must say that Alma Erickson's description of downward flowing body fluids doesn't make any sense.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

I'm reviving this thread. Clear! *zap! *

I've been thinking a lot about this lately... Eastward in Eden. If you put the continents back together pangea style then Eden is in the West.... Unless West was East.

The double rainbow symbolizes the inversion of descent and ascent. We descend lower as we ascend higher until we descend below all to then ascend above all. The rainbow symbolizes the telestial world while the double rainbow symbolizes heaven or the way things are eternally. This world is the temporary. Things are upside down right now. Things right themselves when we ascend and receive our eternal reward.

What if this concept is symbolized by the poles?
What if Magnetic North pointed to Antarctica in the beginning? A pole reversal causes the earth to real to and fro like a drunken man. The angel / DS who comes from the east is coming from true east.... New Jerusalem.

The Muslim ruler who sealed the eastern gate of Jerusalem in 1500 AD to stop the prophecy in Ezekiel is shown the fool as now the western gate is the eastern gate.

Durzan
The Lord's Trusty Maverick

Post by Durzan »

alaris wrote: September 17th, 2017, 2:22 am I'm reviving this thread. Clear! *zap! *

I've been thinking a lot about this lately... Eastward in Eden. If you put the continents back together pangea style then Eden is in the West.... Unless West was East.

The double rainbow symbolizes the inversion of descent and ascent. We descend lower as we ascend higher until we descend below all to then ascend above all. The rainbow symbolizes the telestial world while the double rainbow symbolizes heaven or the way things are eternally. This world is the temporary. Things are upside down right now. Things right themselves when we ascend and receive our eternal reward.

What if Magnetic North pointed to Antarctica in the beginning? A pole reversal causes the earth to real to and fro like a drunken man. The angel / DS who comes from the east is coming from true east.... New Jerusalem.

The Muslim ruler who sealed the eastern gate of Jerusalem in 1500 AD to stop the prophecy in Ezekiel is shown the fool as now the western gate is the eastern gate.
East and West are determined not by magnetism but by the direction the earth rotates. Magnetic Pole shift =/= a 180 degree rotation of the earth around the Prime Meridian... which is what would need to happen in order for our current east to become west and vice versa.

A magnetic pole shift would not cause said rotation, and would in fact be harmless by itself. However, a rotation would cause havoc and might also cause a pole shift as well.

BeNotDeceived
Agent38

Post by BeNotDeceived »

David13 wrote: August 26th, 2015, 7:15 pm I suppose the compass makers would benefit.
GPS, I suppose they would have to provide a free update. Maybe not.
I have a friend who's GPS always shows up side down, that is north downward and south upward. It makes everything hard to read, like street names, but maybe he's just prepared for this.
dc
Compasses users are at the top of the list of who would be affected and effected. :ugeek:

Prolly need to brush up on how those words work, but suffice it to say some serious problems are in store.

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

Durzan wrote: September 17th, 2017, 6:27 am
alaris wrote: September 17th, 2017, 2:22 am I'm reviving this thread. Clear! *zap! *

East and West are determined not by magnetism but by the direction the earth rotates. Magnetic Pole shift =/= a 180 degree rotation of the earth around the Prime Meridian... which is what would need to happen in order for our current east to become west and vice versa.

A magnetic pole shift would not cause said rotation, and would in fact be harmless by itself. However, a rotation would cause havoc and might also cause a pole shift as well.
Excellent points. Perhaps we are upside down and spinning backwards in this telestial space. The earth righting its rotation and magnetism....That could be a potentially powerful symbol to the world that the ministries of descent are over, the time of the gentiles is over, and the time of glory, gathering and reward is here. Thank you Durzan.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

markharr wrote: August 26th, 2015, 7:26 am A lot of scientists are saying that the magnetic poles should shift in our lifetime.

Great post! I believe that when the Times of The Gentiles are over, then the Earth will begin its pole-shift that will result in the destruction of like, everything :)

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

The one who is prophesied to come from the east is the Messiah, Jesus Christ. see Matthew 24:27, Ezekiel 44:1-3.

The gates were sealed because of the prophecy that the Messiah would return through that gate.

http://www.lamblion.us/2008/09/eastern- ... phecy.html

The Old Testament prophets testified of the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.

AI2.0
captain of 1,000

Post by AI2.0 »

Z2100 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 3:54 pm
markharr wrote: August 26th, 2015, 7:26 am A lot of scientists are saying that the magnetic poles should shift in our lifetime.

Great post! I believe that when the Times of The Gentiles are over, then the Earth will begin its pole-shift that will result in the destruction of like, everything :)
I don't think poles shifting would cause destruction. See this article:

Scientists understand that Earth's magnetic field has flipped its polarity many times over the millennia. In other words, if you were alive about 800,000 years ago, and facing what we call north with a magnetic compass in your hand, the needle would point to 'south.' This is because a magnetic compass is calibrated based on Earth's poles. The N-S markings of a compass would be 180 degrees wrong if the polarity of today's magnetic field were reversed. Many doomsday theorists have tried to take this natural geological occurrence and suggest it could lead to Earth's destruction. But would there be any dramatic effects? The answer, from the geologic and fossil records we have from hundreds of past magnetic polarity reversals, seems to be 'no.'

Reversals are the rule, not the exception. Earth has settled in the last 20 million years into a pattern of a pole reversal about every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although it has been more than twice that long since the last reversal. A reversal happens over hundreds or thousands of years, and it is not exactly a clean back flip. Magnetic fields morph and push and pull at one another, with multiple poles emerging at odd latitudes throughout the process. Scientists estimate reversals have happened at least hundreds of times over the past three billion years. And while reversals have happened more frequently in "recent" years, when dinosaurs walked Earth a reversal was more likely to happen only about every one million years.

Sediment cores taken from deep ocean floors can tell scientists about magnetic polarity shifts, providing a direct link between magnetic field activity and the fossil record. The Earth's magnetic field determines the magnetization of lava as it is laid down on the ocean floor on either side of the Mid-Atlantic Rift where the North American and European continental plates are spreading apart. As the lava solidifies, it creates a record of the orientation of past magnetic fields much like a tape recorder records sound. The last time that Earth's poles flipped in a major reversal was about 780,000 years ago, in what scientists call the Brunhes-Matuyama reversal. The fossil record shows no drastic changes in plant or animal life. Deep ocean sediment cores from this period also indicate no changes in glacial activity, based on the amount of oxygen isotopes in the cores. This is also proof that a polarity reversal would not affect the rotation axis of Earth, as the planet's rotation axis tilt has a significant effect on climate and glaciation and any change would be evident in the glacial record.

Earth's polarity is not a constant. Unlike a classic bar magnet, or the decorative magnets on your refrigerator, the matter governing Earth's magnetic field moves around. Geophysicists are pretty sure that the reason Earth has a magnetic field is because its solid iron core is surrounded by a fluid ocean of hot, liquid metal. This process can also be modeled with supercomputers. Ours is, without hyperbole, a dynamic planet. The flow of liquid iron in Earth's core creates electric currents, which in turn create the magnetic field. So while parts of Earth's outer core are too deep for scientists to measure directly, we can infer movement in the core by observing changes in the magnetic field. The magnetic north pole has been creeping northward – by more than 600 miles (1,100 km) – since the early 19th century, when explorers first located it precisely. It is moving faster now, actually, as scientists estimate the pole is migrating northward about 40 miles per year, as opposed to about 10 miles per year in the early 20th century.

Another doomsday hypothesis about a geomagnetic flip plays up fears about incoming solar activity. This suggestion mistakenly assumes that a pole reversal would momentarily leave Earth without the magnetic field that protects us from solar flares and coronal mass ejections from the sun. But, while Earth's magnetic field can indeed weaken and strengthen over time, there is no indication that it has ever disappeared completely. A weaker field would certainly lead to a small increase in solar radiation on Earth – as well as a beautiful display of aurora at lower latitudes - but nothing deadly. Moreover, even with a weakened magnetic field, Earth's thick atmosphere also offers protection against the sun's incoming particles.

The science shows that magnetic pole reversal is – in terms of geologic time scales – a common occurrence that happens gradually over millennia. While the conditions that cause polarity reversals are not entirely predictable – the north pole's movement could subtly change direction, for instance – there is nothing in the millions of years of geologic record to suggest that any of the 2012 doomsday scenarios connected to a pole reversal should be taken seriously. A reversal might, however, be good business for magnetic compass manufacturers.
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featu ... ersal.html

Alaris
Captain of 144,000

Post by Alaris »

AI2.0 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 4:13 pm

The one who is prophesied to come from the east is the Messiah, Jesus Christ. see Matthew 24:27, Ezekiel 44:1-3.

The gates were sealed because of the prophecy that the Messiah would return through that gate.

http://www.lamblion.us/2008/09/eastern- ... phecy.html

The Old Testament prophets testified of the coming of the Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Thanks AI2.0 for the scriptures. Here's the Ezekiel scripture:
1 Then he brought me back the way of the gate of the outward sanctuary which looketh toward the east; and it was shut.
2 Then said the Lord unto me; This gate shall be shut, it shall not be opened, and no man shall enter in by it; because the Lord, the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut.
3 It is for the prince; the prince, he shall sit in it to eat bread before the Lord; he shall enter by the way of the porch of that gate, and shall go out by the way of the same.
Jesus is not the prince. Princes of Peace are the archangels. See Abraham 1:2. See Michael in the TG and the many many scriptures that refer to him as a prince throughout the standard works. Jesus is King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Rev 21) Jesus will not eat bread before Himself.

Again this is the shoehorn phenomenon where we tend to fit the prophecies into what is comfortable and familiar. Malachi 3:1 is not about Jesus either but the messenger of the covenant. Lower case Lord suddenly appears at the temple not LORD. There is so much yet to be fulfilled.

Z2100
captain of 100

Post by Z2100 »

AI2.0 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 4:19 pm
Z2100 wrote: September 17th, 2017, 3:54 pm

I don't think poles shifting would cause destruction. See this article:

Scientists understand that Earth's magnetic field has flipped its polarity many times over the millennia. In other words, if you were alive about 800,000 years ago, and facing what we call north with a magnetic compass in your hand, the needle would point to 'south.' This is because a magnetic compass is calibrated based on Earth's poles. The N-S markings of a compass would be 180 degrees wrong if the polarity of today's magnetic field were reversed. Many doomsday theorists have tried to take this natural geological occurrence and suggest it could lead to Earth's destruction. But would there be any dramatic effects? The answer, from the geologic and fossil records we have from hundreds of past magnetic polarity reversals, seems to be 'no.'

Reversals are the rule, not the exception. Earth has settled in the last 20 million years into a pattern of a pole reversal about every 200,000 to 300,000 years, although it has been more than twice that long since the last reversal. A reversal happens over hundreds or thousands of years, and it is not exactly a clean back flip. Magnetic fields morph and push and pull at one another, with multiple poles emerging at odd latitudes throughout the process. Scientists estimate reversals have happened at least hundreds of times over the past three billion years. And while reversals have happened more frequently in "recent" years, when dinosaurs walked Earth a reversal was more likely to happen only about every one million years.

Sediment cores taken from deep ocean floors can tell scientists about magnetic polarity shifts, providing a direct link between magnetic field activity and the fossil record. The Earth's magnetic field determines the magnetization of lava as it is laid down on the ocean floor on either side of the Mid-Atlantic Rift where the North American and European continental plates are spreading apart. As the lava solidifies, it creates a record of the orientation of past magnetic fields much like a tape recorder records sound. The last time that Earth's poles flipped in a major reversal was about 780,000 years ago, in what scientists call the Brunhes-Matuyama reversal. The fossil record shows no drastic changes in plant or animal life. Deep ocean sediment cores from this period also indicate no changes in glacial activity, based on the amount of oxygen isotopes in the cores. This is also proof that a polarity reversal would not affect the rotation axis of Earth, as the planet's rotation axis tilt has a significant effect on climate and glaciation and any change would be evident in the glacial record.

Earth's polarity is not a constant. Unlike a classic bar magnet, or the decorative magnets on your refrigerator, the matter governing Earth's magnetic field moves around. Geophysicists are pretty sure that the reason Earth has a magnetic field is because its solid iron core is surrounded by a fluid ocean of hot, liquid metal. This process can also be modeled with supercomputers. Ours is, without hyperbole, a dynamic planet. The flow of liquid iron in Earth's core creates electric currents, which in turn create the magnetic field. So while parts of Earth's outer core are too deep for scientists to measure directly, we can infer movement in the core by observing changes in the magnetic field. The magnetic north pole has been creeping northward – by more than 600 miles (1,100 km) – since the early 19th century, when explorers first located it precisely. It is moving faster now, actually, as scientists estimate the pole is migrating northward about 40 miles per year, as opposed to about 10 miles per year in the early 20th century.

Another doomsday hypothesis about a geomagnetic flip plays up fears about incoming solar activity. This suggestion mistakenly assumes that a pole reversal would momentarily leave Earth without the magnetic field that protects us from solar flares and coronal mass ejections from the sun. But, while Earth's magnetic field can indeed weaken and strengthen over time, there is no indication that it has ever disappeared completely. A weaker field would certainly lead to a small increase in solar radiation on Earth – as well as a beautiful display of aurora at lower latitudes - but nothing deadly. Moreover, even with a weakened magnetic field, Earth's thick atmosphere also offers protection against the sun's incoming particles.

The science shows that magnetic pole reversal is – in terms of geologic time scales – a common occurrence that happens gradually over millennia. While the conditions that cause polarity reversals are not entirely predictable – the north pole's movement could subtly change direction, for instance – there is nothing in the millions of years of geologic record to suggest that any of the 2012 doomsday scenarios connected to a pole reversal should be taken seriously. A reversal might, however, be good business for magnetic compass manufacturers.
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featu ... ersal.html
I've read that article before.

GrandMasterB
captain of 1,000

Post by GrandMasterB »

markharr wrote: August 26th, 2015, 3:13 pm
inho wrote:This is a quote from the article you linked to:
and also
I'm assuming you are LDS based on some of your previous comments. If I am wrong in that assumption please let me know.

Creation of the earth and all of the known universe.
Flood that covered the entire world
Savior that among other things healed the sick, and blind, fed thousands off of a few loaves of bread, and some fishes, walked on water, turned water into wine, resurrected the dead, and was himself respected.
The brother of Jared who lit his boats that were sealed like a dish with stones that had been touched by god
Hundreds if not thousands of other examples of miraculous events in the scriptures

But flipping the magnetic poles of the earths during the 7 years of tribulation. That's just crazy talk, how could you be so unscientific?
Let's get CRAZY!!!